Halo: The Master Chief Collection. Best served with a side order of Heroic or Legendary

Floex

23 hours ago, Sprite Machine said:

Right, a little break, and then let's see if my ancient PC will run Halo 2... :blah:

Yeah, it does. Not great, a little choppy, but fine.

The new cinematics are very nice.
Found myself dual-wielding plasma pistols quite a lot in the first level. Elites are tough bastards.

Halo 2 is pretty fucking good. It's been a while and I don't really remember much about it, but I like it. Jackal snipers can fuck off, obviously, and it's a shame they brought the Flood back again.

Playing as the Arbiter is fun. Did that completely come out of nowhere at the time, like the MGS2 Raiden twist? I seem to recall it being a surprise.

7 hours ago, Sprite Machine said:

Christ, the Honour Guards protecting Regret! :blink:
I'm not sure how I got through that.

Grenades and the sword are your friends. Fortunately you are invulnerable when mounting Regret's throne, sometimes you can jump on him 2 or 3 times before having to hide to recharge shields.

legendary.JPG

On 10/05/2021 at 01:15, Sprite Machine said:

Halo 2 is pretty fucking good. It's been a while and I don't really remember much about it, but I like it. Jackal snipers can fuck off, obviously, and it's a shame they brought the Flood back again.

Playing as the Arbiter is fun. Did that completely come out of nowhere at the time, like the MGS2 Raiden twist? I seem to recall it being a surprise.

It was a total surprise - they managed to keep it a complete secret. Which was probably a mistake, to be honest - the lesson they should have taken from MGS2 was that you should warm the fanbase up to in advance of this sort of thing, rather than spring it on them as a surprise. If you're expecting to play one game and get another, it can be a bit frustrating.

The Arbiter stuff was a mistake anyway if you ask me. The Covenant were interesting when they were genocidal alien zealots, less so when they're holding lengthy space council session and arguing with each other. The more you see of the Covenant's inner workings, the less intriguing it is. Also, the more you see of the Prophets, the more you notice that they've got little nutsacks hanging off their chins and ears, and harder it becomes to take them even a bit seriously.

8 minutes ago, K said:

It was a total surprise - they managed to keep it a complete secret. Which was probably a mistake, to be honest - the lesson they should have taken from MGS2 was that you should warm the fanbase up to in advance of this sort of thing, rather than spring it on them as a surprise. If you're expecting to play one game and get another, it can be a bit frustrating.

The Arbiter stuff was a mistake anyway if you ask me. The Covenant were interesting when they were genocidal alien zealots, less so when they're holding lengthy space council session and arguing with each other. The more you see of the Covenant's inner workings, the less intriguing it is. Also, the more you see of the Prophets, the more you notice that they've got little nutsacks hanging off their chins and ears, and harder it becomes to take them even a bit seriously.

There's three moments in Halo 2 that justify playing as the arbiter to me:

Spoiler

The first is fighting alongside a platoon of Elites in the flood infested space station.

The second is having allied grunts bombing around on ghosts and generally being a bit shit, but adding an endearing layer of chaos to proceedings.

And the final, biggest one is "The Hunters have joined our cause!" - one of my favourite moments in the whole series.

1 hour ago, K said:

The two biggest missteps in Halo's history - playing as the Arbiter and fighting against the Prometheans.

Playing as the Arbiter is awful because it's so confusing. After putting a bazzillion hours into HCE you are instinctively wired to unleash hell on Covenant scum as soon as they're in your sights. H2 upends that and expects you to unwire your highly trained response by buddying up with the enemy. It's just so confusing to be unloading a full clip into a Grunt but the fucker won't go down. An absolutely bewilderingly awful design decision that should never have got the go ahead. And yes the story, their voices, even the design all undermine how menacing and intimidating they were in HCE.

I've been trying to Legendary all of the Halos, so far so good up to Halo 4 but fuck that. The Prometheans are tolerable on Heroic, but the lack of visual feedback, recharging and teleporting makes them relentlessly tedious on Legendary. It's not even hard, your only real enemy is boredom and scavenging for ammo. The fights are so long and drawn out that you just dread running into the next one.

I can see what they tried to do with the Prometheans, in that different weapons have different strengths against them and they have a shield that needs removing before you can finish them off. They saw how good the Elites were to fight against and wanted to give us their own spin on it.

It just didn’t work out though and they’re the worst enemy to fight. It’s good that they’ve acknowledged this and have removed them (I think) from Infinite.

On 11/05/2021 at 11:01, K said:

Also, the more you see of the Prophets, the more you notice that they've got little nutsacks hanging off their chins and ears, and harder it becomes to take them even a bit seriously.

PeterGriffin.jpg

ThatMenInBlack2Alien.jpg

On 11/05/2021 at 12:40, Uncle Nasty said:

Playing as the Arbiter is awful because it's so confusing. After putting a bazzillion hours into HCE you are instinctively wired to unleash hell on Covenant scum as soon as they're in your sights. H2 upends that and expects you to unwire your highly trained response by buddying up with the enemy. It's just so confusing to be unloading a full clip into a Grunt but the fucker won't go down.

I completely agree; the Grunt allies were a big distraction on those first few Arbiter levels on the gas mine. The fact Halo 2 had busier backgrounds than the original also made it harder to tell whether you were targetting allied or enemy Grunts (at least on the original Xbox on a SDTV, which is the last time I played Halo 2 much).

But your comment in bold: I thought that those Grunts are not invincible, but can be killed as friendly fire?

Right at the end of Halo 3 now and have thoroughly enjoyed it but the bloody Cortana level can piss off, just finished it. Scarab madness is still as fun as I remember though. Gravemind and Cortana prattling on gets a bit old though. And it's quite odd at the last few levels they suddenly decided to use painted backdrops for the intro and outros to levels. Looks great though.

Feeling a bit of Halo fatigue tbh so not sure where I'll go next, probably ODST then Reach but might have a break before then.

Quarantine Zone is madness. Flood driving ghosts, driving warthogs, driving wraiths; meanwhile sentinels and those big shielded fuckers firing rockets at you. And playing as a squad of Covenant driving a human tank, blowing everything up. Flood with rocket launchers, Flood with energy swords, Flood on gun turrets. Absolute carnage.

Halo 2: Let's Chuck Everything In And See What Happens.

Playing through Reach on Series X and it feels like a brand new game, it’s so nice looking and smooth to play. Nothing, and I mean nothing, comes anywhere close to being as good as Halo, it’s just got that thing that I can’t describe. 

28 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Playing through Reach on Series X and it feels like a brand new game, it’s so nice looking and smooth to play. Nothing, and I mean nothing, comes anywhere close to being as good as Halo, it’s just got that thing that I can’t describe. 

I've also been enjoying it - I think it's because it's still quite distinct from shooters generally which have largely become indistinguishable from one another. It's still very much a game, full of game things (originally because the tech at the time had limitations, but now because they form part of the heritage of Halo). It's a strange mix of po-faced storytelling and just riotous, emergent chaos unlike anything else. 

39 minutes ago, Stanley said:

It is on a completely different level to anything else, time hasn't diminished it at all. Games like Gears just don't have that secret sauce that makes Halo such a riot to play. There's always some crazy off the cuff madness happening that you just didn't expect, a line of unexpected dialogue, a chain reaction of explosions and the physics engine making you laugh out loud, it's such an unpredictable and funny game.

I definitely do appreciate a lot of what 343 have done. Halo 4 has some incredible levels. I was going through some of the playlists last night and played The Composer from H4 which completely blew me away. It really felt like proper, peak Halo. Insane graphics, involving but simple mission objective, solid spread of weapons, intense combat situations. The MCC as a whole is an incredible package.

I'm back in the mode where I don't want to play anything but Halo again, it's just a mindblowing package on the X.

Yes I’ll be honest, it’s one of the main reasons I bought one, in fact I’ve deliberately not downloaded it until now, some 2 months later, just so I can get some other games played first. 

Bur yeah the love and attention that’s gone into MCC is quite staggering. I mean what other games of this age look and play as good? 

Played a bit of Halo 4 on Heroic last night. I will say, it’s not as good as Bungie’s Halos, but it’s not far off at times. It’s like a really really competent cover version. 

I actually think Halo 5 plays a lot better tbh, people are always hating on that game but IMO it plays a better game of Halo than 4, and even though they’re not quite there, they’re still better than any other FPS, and Halo 5 is the best Xbox One X enhanced game I’ve seen, it looks stunning and is 60fps.

For me this collection including 5 is worth owning an Xbox for alone, or a PC for that matter. These and Zelda are my favourite games of all time.  

Reach is magnificent, if 343 go for any one of them for main inspiration on Infinite then let it be Reach. 

Now, here’s to a weekend getting lost in Halo :hat:

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Reach is magnificent, if 343 go for any one of them for main inspiration on Infinite then let it be Reach. 

The original is their inspiration apparently and that’s exactly the right approach in my opinion. Reach, as good as it is, was still a diluted version of CE, having far too many weapons and daft things like Elites being able to shrug off stickies. I want the purity of the first game, but brought up to date.

17 minutes ago, JPL said:

The original is their inspiration apparently and that’s exactly the right approach in my opinion. Reach, as good as it is, was still a diluted version of CE, having far too many weapons and daft things like Elites being able to shrug off stickies. I want the purity of the first game, but brought up to date.

Sure, on balance though I think Reach is far more consistent as an overall campaign, Halo as good as it is ran out of steam 2/3rds of the way through - obviously the combat and game play was robust enough to carry it through though. 

Any game is by default influenced by the first one, but that Reach campaign is nigh on perfect, tonally too, there’s a beautiful bleakness about it. 

4 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Sure, on balance though I think Reach is far more consistent as an overall campaign, Halo as good as it is ran out of steam 2/3rds of the way through - obviously the combat and game play was robust enough to carry it through though. 

Any game is by default influenced by the first one, but that Reach campaign is nigh on perfect, tonally too, there’s a beautiful bleakness about it. 

We’ll have to agree to disagree I think, as the original is so far above any of the others for me. If I could only play one game for the rest of my life, it’d be CE.

Like I said, the balance was off with Reach, on Legendary at least, which put it down in my rankings.

Saying that though, I can imagine Infinite will be quite a different feeling game to any we’ve had before due to it being open world. I’m hoping it’s like a massively expanded Silent Cartographer with little pockets of action dotted around.

As long they get the balance and feel right then it should be excellent. I can’t wait to see more of it next month.

Put me in the Reach is best camp. I was a playstation owner when the xbox was released so didn't really play it at the time. I came to Halo at number 3 and absolutely loved it. Reach took 3 and ran with it, taking the best bits and adding more best bits making a fantastic campaign and the best multiplayer in the series. 

Let’s just all agree it’s a fantastic series, but 2 games in 343 have still got to prove they’re worthy of it. I hope third time is the charm for them. They’ve been given enough time and resources to make it the best of the lot. Here’s hoping.

Just now, Stanley said:

:quote:No way is 2 better than 5.

Way better. I know they overreached and fucked up the balance a bit, but the shooting of all the Bungie games is still superior to any 343 effort. It feels spongy or something to me, lacking how visceral Bungie’s games felt. It’s hard to explain.

I’m talking about the campaign obviously, as the multiplayer in 5 is solid.