Halo: The Master Chief Collection. Best served with a side order of Heroic or Legendary

Floex

1 hour ago, JPL said:

It’s an excellent series though, isn’t it?

No. It's the best game of all time, followed by increasingly diminishing returns which completely misunderstand why the original was so great. Every Halo after CE is a 7/10 at best, most of them being 5/10 games with hardly any redeeming qualities.

I hate how every Halo sequel was a a disappointment, It's one of my biggest letdowns in gaming. I replayed HCE from beginning to end on the Series X and it still obliterates almost every game since, certainly every Halo game.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

No. It's the best game of all time, followed by increasingly diminishing returns which completely misunderstand why the original was so great. Every Halo after CE is a 7/10 at best, most of them being 5/10 games with hardly any redeeming qualities.

I hate how every Halo sequel was a a disappointment, It's one of my biggest letdowns in gaming. I replayed HCE from beginning to end on the Series X and it still obliterates almost every game since, certainly every Halo game.

Oh, I agree it’s easily the best and by a big margin, but I still love the others. As a series, I’d put it as my number 1, but then CE is my favourite game of all time, so it’s not surprising.

I really hope Infinite delivers. I’m dying for some more Halo.

On 01/02/2021 at 23:00, Thor said:

Halo 2 is a lot better than I recall it being. Really fucking enjoying it. Shame I'm getting some really bad framerate drops here and there, but so far it hasn't been too bad. A quick Google says it's not optimised well for PC.

It’s the same on Series X. As soon as it gets busy the frame rate tanks. I’ve been playing through the campaign on old graphics, switching to the new ones for cutscenes.

7 hours ago, Mr Tony said:

It’s the same on Series X. As soon as it gets busy the frame rate tanks. I’ve been playing through the campaign on old graphics, switching to the new ones for cutscenes.

It’s the annoying issue of running two versions of the damn game at the same time. What’s a fun gimmick for 10 seconds as you flip between the original and new versions becomes fucking irritating as things start to stutter a bit.

Finished Halo 3: though that I'd abandoned it on the 360, but it turns out that it was Reach and ODST that I binned.

Wasn't expecting much from Halo 4, but boy is it good. It looks good, runs well and the combat feels like a return the CE. That's something the other sequels never got right.

I agree with most of the recent posters here though: Halo 1 is an amazing game, but *only* on Legendary. It's a very good game in Heroic but it's something else on Legendary. None of the other games get close.

On 24/12/2020 at 21:59, Ninja Doctor said:

I’m sure Halo 2 has its fans but they are few and far between. 

I googled "best halo game" and Halo 2 is coming our regularly top. I think that it was super popular with Americans, and maybe with people who were young teenagers when it came out.

I noted at the time that this place was the only place on the Internet that I had noticed an overwhelmingly negative reaction to the game. Everywhere else absolutely loved it. I fell somewhere in the middle but appreciate it far more now. 

The OG rllmuk thread was full of very negative opinions. My main thing then was that it was so different to the first game, and that sandbox feel of the original was diminished for something more linear and straightforward.

Halo 2 is much less consistent than the other campaigns, but the best bits are stellar and up there with anything else from the series - although the worst bits are pretty bloody awful too. Most of the first half of the game is brilliant, especially Cairo Station and Delta Halo, and some of the later levels like Gravemind are excellent too. I can see why someone would see it as their favourite given how lavish and ambitious it is.

I really wish 343 would tweak the campaign a bit to make the weaker bits more fun - make the Flood and the Brutes more like their Halo 3 equivalents, tighten up the Covenant vehicle handling a bit (some of the vehicle-focused levels like Quarantine Zone and Uprising are much more fun if you use the warthog or the scorpion, rather than the godawful Covenant vehicles you use by default), and generally rebalance it so the harder encounters are more enjoyable.

(Obviously, this would be an optional mode given their focus on preservation of the originals).

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

There are still a *lot* of people who rate Halo 2's campaign as better - because there is a lot more happening than in CE.

50% of CE was just backtracking over where you just came from or going through the same looking rooms over and over. Plus it had the original Library. 

I completed a couple of weeks ago, and Halo 2 last week. Personally I don't think it's aged well. In it's time, it was the greatest. But like GoldenEye on the 64, playing it today, it doesn't feel as great as it did.

Yep, Halo 1 I found tiresome when I replayed it - I believe I said I was relieved to finish it. Whereas with Halo 2, 3, and Reach, I was left wanting more.  I can understand why people feel Halo 1 is the best when upped to Legendary difficulty, because that then changes the whole dynamic whereby the game is all about the combat encounters. The story and setting take a back seat in that instance. But judged on the normal difficulty that most people will play these games on, Halo 1 just doesn't hold up compared to the later games. That fucking library was ridiculous.  

The thing with CE is that it was great until the flood turned up.. whereas Halo 2 was too much "in your face". Still enjoyed it.

Halo 3 and either ODST or Reach killed my love for the series at the time: I just don't like fighting against Brutes and the Flood and those games felt like they were only about that. Guess that's why I'm really enjoying Halo 4 so far (and it looking amazing helps too!).

Just started Halo 2.  Its fantastic.  I remember being quite disappointed with it after camping out at a store to pick it up at midnight years back.  Maybe this remaster does it justice and is more true to Bungie's original vision.  The cutscenes are brilliant as well.

• 3 weeks later...

My brother who has recently got his Series S has been blackmailed into starting the Halo MCC with me. I played it through earlier this year with a view to it being ready for Infinite. I was wrong. No where near ready.

But, he played Halo 1 for the first time. We did the first three missions and hes gagging to play more. Awesome.

I managed to secure myself a Series X last month and my first port of call was MCC. Played through Halo 1 & 2 for the first time in over 10 years, so it was an almost fresh experience. Both games still a highly enjoyable experience but Halo 2 has this spike in difficulty for about 3 levels from Grave Mind on which made a almost near impossible task. It almost made me put the controller down and soured the experience a fair bit. The amount of hits it took to kill elites and brutes doubled and there was a serious lack of weapons knocking about. Aside from that both games were overall still a great experience haha. 

Finished my run-through as far as Reach and, 2 aside, loved every bit of it. 

I'm going CE (10), Reach & 3 (9), ODST (8), 2 (5). Reach sneaks in ahead of 3 on the grounds that the connect with CE is really nicely done, and it doesn't have a level like fucking Gravemind.

This was all on Heroic. I'm torn on whether to move on to 4 and 5, or just try to tackle CE on Legendary. 

39 minutes ago, Miner Willy said:

Finished my run-through as far as Reach and, 2 aside, loved every bit of it. 

I'm going CE (10), Reach & 3 (9), ODST (8), 2 (5). Reach sneaks in ahead of 3 on the grounds that the connect with CE is really nicely done, and it doesn't have a level like fucking Gravemind.

This was all on Heroic. I'm torn on whether to move on to 4 and 5, or just try to tackle CE on Legendary. 

Cortana is the Halo 3 level that's set in the bowels of a Flood-infested High Charity.

Gravemind is the Halo 2 level that's set on a Floodless High Charity, with the bit where you rescue the marines and the room where the nu-metal track plays.

Fortunately Reach doesn't have any levels like either of them. :wub: