IGNORED

Halo: The Master Chief Collection. Best served with a side order of Heroic or Legendary

Floex

I played with the new graphics but switched over to the originals every so often to compare them (and then got an achievement for seeing every mission both ways :D). Was I doing it wrong? Thinking back I might have got lost a bit less in plainer areas with less visual clutter.

10 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

Invisible sword elites have no shield, normal sword elites do. That’s how I remember it anyway.

:quote:

11 hours ago, simms said:

Just to make sure I was not going mad I just played and recorded to see, defo shield popping:

3 hours ago, teddymeow said:

I didn't realise you could press the "menu " button and switch between fancy / original graphics.

The flashbacks to OG Xbox launch when I worked at Game and my manager was obsessed with THE GRASS on the ground.

Seriously, THE GRASS!! LOOK. AT. IT!!! :lol:

Same here when a friend came over with his brand new Xbox and a copy of Halo back in the day. At first I didn't even really want to play Halo (come on man, a Microsoft console? Seriously?) But when I finally did, I had the exact same reaction as your manager. Using the pistol to zoom into the grass :lol:

Rest of the game was great too!

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Same here when a friend came over with his brand new Xbox and a copy of Halo back in the day. At first I didn't even really want to play Halo (come on man, a Microsoft console? Seriously?) But when I finally did, I had the exact same reaction as your manager. Using the pistol to zoom into the grass :lol:

Rest of the game was great too!

Did the exact same with the rock textures in the first half of level 3 as well. 

I hate the Halo:CE remastered graphics, not only for the fact that they're aesthetically ugly but they affect gameplay negatively in three different ways - 

1) You can barely see the Elite's shields, and as this is such an important mechanic in the game, it totally reeks of Saber interactive not knowing how the game is supposed to work 

2) There's loads of new vertical grass detail which completely hides all the weapons dropped on the ground. OG graphics have a simple texture, new graphics have fucking weeds everywhere. 

3) The geometry mesh doesn't even match between the two versions, but it's always using the collision mesh from the OG visuals. You can literally be shooting at invisible trees and what not. 

On a positive note, the Halo 2 anniversary visuals are superb and very well done, and the same studio did them both!

10 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

2) There's loads of new vertical grass detail which completely hides all the weapons dropped on the ground. OG graphics have a simple texture, new graphics have fucking weeds everywhere.

I noticed this too, grenades are almost impossible to see and this is on a massive screen. Flip back to original graphics and everything is perfectly visible. I hate what they did with the snow levels - the snowflakes are those doily type flakes that you used to make in school and stick to the window, they look ridiculous and kill visibility. The original uses subtle drifting particles for the snow which still looks great. The stalactites and other ice structures look terrible, it made me wonder if they'd done any research or just did everything from memory. Any level that used light and fog/haze in the original has been completely ruined by overlighting and adding details that just make no sense - they added detail for the sake of it without considering what functions those structures or objects actually have, so you get lights, vents and pipes in places that are meaningless.

I tried playing Halo 5 last night and it's just visual puke, completely overdone with no subtlety or contrast. I just cannot get a grip on what's going on in this game. And what were they thinking with your teammates names - Linda, Frederic, Kelly - I mean they sound like they should be in a reboot of Rainbow or something, not saving Master Chief's ass from the Covenant.

Linda, Fred & Kelly are characters from the first Halo spinoff novel, if I recall correctly. So they're much-loved fan favourites who caused a vocal portion of the Halo fanbase to spontaneously ejaculate when they turned up in the game, and absolutely meaningless to anyone else who isn't obsessed with some spin-off novel some hack cranked out in six weeks.

Halo 5 feels like the point where the EU and the games finally merged, whereas previously I feel like Bungie drew a sharp dividing line between stuff they'd created, and stuff that appeared in tie-in novels. I can sense a certain amount of disdain by Bungie for the EU stuff - apparently, they were extremely reluctant to even include stuff like ODSTs in Halo 2, and Halo Reach seems to deliberately ignore the EU stuff (to the delicious chagrin of the TruFans). Obviously, Bungie's own stuff was itself a bit rubbish sometimes, but it was at least their rubbish.

Reach feels like the pinnacle for me these days. Never thought of it so on original release, but when it became part of the MCC, something clicked. It's just tremendous, tremendous fun all the way through. There's very little fat on its bones.

It does have the benefit of having probably the best soundtrack out of all the series (and one of the best ones in gaming as far as I'm concerned).

Been busy playing a little of it now, and it's still enormously pleasurable.

Reach has been my favourite campaign ever since I first played it. Just wonderful. Zoomed through loads of it on launch day and only stopped as I thought I’d been playing for long enough. Came back to it two weeks later and finished the rest in twenty minutes. Immediately started again.

On 28/11/2020 at 19:10, simms said:

I'm playing Halo CE on Legendary and I'm on the Truth and Reconciliation level where you've just beamed up into the Covenant hanger bay of sorts.  I may have aged since I last did a legendary run :blah: but just cannot get past this bit.  Bloody Elites with their fancy active camo and plasma swords :mad:.  Is there an online co-op as I may need assistance :blush: .  I refuse to drop to Heroic :unsure:

Playing on PC BTW

Phew, got to the next check point.

Holed up in one of the back passages (the side where you have the two entrances into the main hanger).  Then lured in the *Sword Elites by letting them charge at me, who are easy to tackle when they charge head on.  Luckily there where loads of dropped weapons by the entrance doors so I just picked of the hunters shields at distance with plasma charges and took them out as well as grunts at a distance.   

*visible ;) 

24 minutes ago, simms said:

Holed up in one of the back passages (the side where you have the two entrances into the main hanger).  Then lured in the *Sword Elites by letting them charge at me, who are easy to tackle when they charge head on.  Luckily there where loads of dropped weapons by the entrance doors so I just picked of the hunters shields at distance with plasma charges and took them out as well as grunts at a distance.   

*visible ;) 

Nice! You’ve got the hangar bays coming up*. That makes the bit you’ve just done feel like a walk in the park!

*If I’m remembering it right.

More Reach love here. Having such a great time with this. I think they nailed the team dynamic really well. On the home straight now, some Reach spoilers, including the ending. Seriously, don't click unless you've finished it:

Spoiler

Oh man, that bit when Kat gets sniped. I'd forgotten all about it. Just comes out of nowhere.

I'm just about to deliver Cortana to Pillar of Autumn now, and given how Reach ends, i've just arrived at the place i'm going to die. It's such a weird feeling, very different to the first time I played it. Really going to savour this last bit. I've got a full shotgun and i'm going to get up close and personal with as many of these alien bastards as possible. 

For those new to the series, this ad was a good one, this is the previous Noble 6:

Just finished my CE heroic run-through and I loved it. I'd completely forgotten the symmetry in the structure, and obviously the combat still holds up. After Truth and Reconciliation I didn't die very often, so I'm wondering if I can manage a go on legendary, but I'm going to play all the other games on heroic first. I was thinking I might do 2 on normal though, just to run through it, as I vaguely recall it having some pretty frustrating sections.

7 hours ago, Don Rosco said:

More Reach love here. Having such a great time with this. I think they nailed the team dynamic really well. On the home straight now, some Reach spoilers, including the ending. Seriously, don't click unless you've finished it:

Reveal hidden contents

Oh man, that bit when Kat gets sniped. I'd forgotten all about it. Just comes out of nowhere.

I'm just about to deliver Cortana to Pillar of Autumn now, and given how Reach ends, i've just arrived at the place i'm going to die. It's such a weird feeling, very different to the first time I played it. Really going to savour this last bit. I've got a full shotgun and i'm going to get up close and personal with as many of these alien bastards as possible. 

For those new to the series, this ad was a good one, this is the previous Noble 6:

I absolutely adore this trailer. All these years later and it still gives me goosebumps when she looks at the nuke for it to be picked up and taken up to the ship. Sigh.  I'd love for MS to do a few more of these sorts of trailers.

I get some clicking sounds on the the explosions so here's one that  works better sound wise for me

What started as dipping my toe in the water is now a full-throated replay of Halo. My god, I forgot how much a kick in the nuts Two Betrayals is. 

Hey! Remember that level you already did that was overly long and just the same room and corridor repeated 7 or 8 times? Well, now you’re doing it again, but this time in reverse!

33 minutes ago, Popo said:

What started as dipping my toe in the water is now a full-throated replay of Halo. My god, I forgot how much a kick in the nuts Two Betrayals is. 

Hey! Remember that level you already did that was overly long and just the same room and corridor repeated 7 or 8 times? Well, now you’re doing it again, but this time in reverse!

Yeah, but I really like it. The addition of the flood and the three way battles really make the level feel different. 

Finished Halo earlier and moved straight on to Halo 2. This is great. Halo is at its best when the environments are really fun and interesting, and Halo 2’s first 2 stages are just pure excitement. The ambition, for an OG Xbox title, is on another level - and that’s saying something off the back of the original game. 

I only played this once, when it was first released, so I’m really looking forward to remembering what happens!

12 hours ago, Popo said:

I just replayed it and really liked that aspect. The symmetry across the whole game really works for me, and the gameplay is flipped completely with the different enemies. I know it's always been a criticism, and maybe it was borne out of resource constraints, but I genuinely find it a positive.