IGNORED

Halo: The Master Chief Collection. Best served with a side order of Heroic or Legendary

Floex

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

This bit...does anyone else remember being totally stuck trying to do it, then seeing them show you the trick in the attract mode while taking a break?

Arrgggghhh remember the first encounter with the Hunters... then discovered their weak spot... :D 

12 minutes ago, Sprite Machine said:

I'm hoping my 10-year old PC (and 8-year old graphics card) will actually run these games reasonably well, given they're also quite old. Although Halo 2 Enhanced might struggle a bit... :unsure:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/976730/Halo_The_Master_Chief_Collection/

Minimum GPU specs are a Radeon HD6850... You should be fine.... Don't think its overly demanding on the PC to be honest. 

Just now, MNFRMTMRRW said:

Nope runs maxed out on my GTX 1080 at 1440p. Unlike more recent FPS games.

OK not tried it on the PC for a bit... Remember it running fairly well on my old GTX 970 a few years back. Probably some patching being going on I guess. Also think I ran it at 1080p. Remember it storming along though at 60fps. It was lovely coming off the Xbox version.

2 minutes ago, MattyP said:

OK not tried it on the PC for a bit... Remember it running fairly well on my old GTX 970 a few years back. Probably some patching being going on I guess. Also think I ran it at 1080p. Remember it storming along though at 60fps. It was lovely coming off the Xbox version.

Xbox Series S|X now also run all games in the collection at 60fps or even 120fps if your TV supports it.

1 minute ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

Xbox Series S|X now also run all games in the collection at 60fps or even 120fps if your TV supports it.

Indeed I was playing the original on my X last night. Lovely and buttery smooth. Well the important bits were (gameplay). The cut scenes were a bit ropey to be fair. Guessing they haven't tweaked those much though.

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Indeed I was playing the original on my X last night. Lovely and buttery smooth. Well the important bits were (gameplay). The cut scenes were a bit ropey to be fair. Guessing they haven't tweaked those much though.

The framerate or resolution? Halo 3 is the most rough of the bunch since it didn't get a remaster treatment like Halo 1 and 2 and Halo 4 is much newer so looks great out of the box. 

Just now, MNFRMTMRRW said:

The framerate or resolution? Halo 3 is the most rough of the bunch since it didn't get a remaster treatment like Halo 1 and 2 and Halo 4 is much newer so looks great out of the box. 

Frame rate on the cutscenes was a bit juddery at times... Didn't really notice the resolution that much so that can't have been too bad! :) 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm playing Halo CE on Legendary and I'm on the Truth and Reconciliation level where you've just beamed up into the Covenant hanger bay of sorts.  I may have aged since I last did a legendary run :blah: but just cannot get past this bit.  Bloody Elites with their fancy active camo and plasma swords :mad:.  Is there an online co-op as I may need assistance :blush: .  I refuse to drop to Heroic :unsure:

Playing on PC BTW

That bit is tough, but remember if you are there it means you beat the bit before which is much harder.

It’s been years and years since I last did it, but can’t you glitch it by shoving plasma grenades on to Cov who are about to come in through the entrance hatches, then cause them to delay and blow each other up while the doors are closing again? 

As Zok says, use your grenades. Keep your eye on the motion tracker and as soon as you see a group of red dots appear near one of the entrances, throw a grenade at the door. It’s should blow them up just as they’re coming through.

29 minutes ago, ZOK said:

That bit is tough, but remember if you are there it means you beat the bit before which is much harder.

It’s been years and years since I last did it, but can’t you glitch it by shoving plasma grenades on to Cov who are about to come in through the entrance hatches, then cause them to delay and blow each other up while the doors are closing again? 

I was trying to "cheat" by using the back hallways the covenant come through but always end up with wrong type of weapon or no ammo and loads of grunts, jackals and an Elite or two waiting for me to appear.

26 minutes ago, JPL said:

As Zok says, use your grenades. Keep your eye on the motion tracker and as soon as you see a group of red dots appear near one of the entrances, throw a grenade at the door. It’s should blow them up just as they’re coming through.

Exactly what I've been doing but the fuckers usually move or evade the plasma grenades which seem to take forever to explode.  This is the first time I felt like I needed the ability to "cook" grenades in Halo.  How the fuck did I do this before on the original?  I'm playing mouse and keyboard and at gazillion frames a second now.

It does take a bit of practise to get the timing down, but if you throw as soon as the red dots appears, by the time they’ve got to the entrance and the doors open it should take them out. Also if any of the invisible Elites get through, watch where your team mates are getting taken out - you’ll see the energy sword - just open fire with your assault rifle. They’re not shielded, so they go down pretty quick.

1 hour ago, JPL said:

It does take a bit of practise to get the timing down, but if you throw as soon as the red dots appears, by the time they’ve got to the entrance and the doors open it should take them out. Also if any of the invisible Elites get through, watch where your team mates are getting taken out - you’ll see the energy sword - just open fire with your assault rifle. They’re not shielded, so they go down pretty quick.

The elites are shielded unfortunately 

I finished CE for the first time this afternoon. I enjoyed it overall but often got frustrated by losing my way - especially in levels inside ships or bases with lots of basically identical corridors or rooms. And the last couple of missions were no fun at all, especially driving that bloody uncontrollable jeep through that bloody obstacle course. Who thought that was a good way to end the game?

Haven't played a Halo game since a quick runthrough of Halo 2 in co-op on the original xbox back in the day but I picked this up in the Steam sale yesterday.

Played through the first few stages of Halo 1 on normal difficulty but it feels more like an easy mode. Looking at the title of this topic...is Heroic the actual normal difficulty in Halo games?

4 hours ago, partious said:

Haven't played a Halo game since a quick runthrough of Halo 2 in co-op on the original xbox back in the day but I picked this up in the Steam sale yesterday.

Played through the first few stages of Halo 1 on normal difficulty but it feels more like an easy mode. Looking at the title of this topic...is Heroic the actual normal difficulty in Halo games?

It probably should be.

Question? 

I keep losing my progress on CE if I’m playing it in co-op (either on line or local). It loses my check points and I only have the option to start each chapter from the start. Even o pick right back up after a reload I will have to start the chapter from the start. Is that correct, or am I doing something wrong? 

13 hours ago, Darren said:

And the last couple of missions were no fun at all, especially driving that bloody uncontrollable jeep through that bloody obstacle course. Who thought that was a good way to end the game?

Lots of people! The warthog run used to get praised because it made an exciting ending by challenging the driving skills you'd learned through the game, instead of by introducing a boss fight like every other FPS.

10 hours ago, partious said:

Yeah, for anyone with experience of FPSs, Heroic is normally a good difficulty to start on. Especially if you're playing with keyboard and mouse.

On 28/11/2020 at 21:10, simms said:

I'm playing Halo CE on Legendary and I'm on the Truth and Reconciliation level where you've just beamed up into the Covenant hanger bay of sorts.  I may have aged since I last did a legendary run :blah: but just cannot get past this bit.  Bloody Elites with their fancy active camo and plasma swords :mad:.  Is there an online co-op as I may need assistance :blush: .  I refuse to drop to Heroic :unsure:

Playing on PC BTW

Put some surround headphones on, and remember the sword invisible elites don’t have shields.

Maybe on legendary they do. Grenade slinging as an art becomes essential here. Knocking down one elite and arcing one of their plasma grenades to the opposite side of the room.

It took me a few goes.

Halo CE is one of them only games (excluding score attack type stuff) where I will reload a checkpoint because I just didn’t feel like I did the last skirmish in a good enough way.

On 28/11/2020 at 20:27, JPL said:

They’re not shielded, so they go down pretty quick.

4 hours ago, sir stiff_one said:

and remember the sword invisible elites don’t have shields.

Just to make sure I was not going mad I just played and recorded to see, defo shield popping: