Halo: The Master Chief Collection. Best served with a side order of Heroic or Legendary

I thought I'd quickly check out Halo 4 on PC yesterday, and ended up fighting with the display options for an hour to get it to display on the TV at the right resolution. Fore some reason this game, and this game only seems confused about what screens can handle what resolution, and there's literally no way I've found to convince it to launch on the TV in full screen at 4K. It does behave if I set it as a borderless window, which is actually fine, but it should work full screen, damnit. :quote:

Anyway, Halo 4 still looks gorgeous. I don't think anything's been done to the graphics beyond allowing for higher resolutions, but I remember it looking like a brand new, next gen game when the collection came out on the Xbox One. It's an amazing visual achievement for a 360 game, even if it couldn't live up to its predecessors.

1 hour ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

Halo 3 is my least favorite game together with 5 because I hate the AI companions in single player (I need to try it with 3 others to see how that works). I just don't think it has much soul. 

I absolutely love the original, but Halo 2 for me was very good for narrative delivery. I know most people hate it but I loved it. Still have to play ODST & Reach. 

Halo 3 in 4 player co-op is brilliant, mages legendary easy but had some incredible runs through this with @Wickedkitten and I think @spanx

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

You never heard of Far Cry 2 Jon?! :quote:

He did say better to be fair....

2 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Halo 3 in 4 player co-op is brilliant, mages legendary easy but had some incredible runs through this with @Wickedkitten and I think @spanx

He did say better to be fair....

God yeah, I remember that. I remember it being a lot of fun.

Would love to do some co-op stuff again - got a headset coming for my PC tomorrow. Should try and find some people...

2 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

The sequels are all pointless to me. They just added stuff whilst altering or spoiling the magic that made CE so great. Changing the physics, dual wielding, destructible vehicles, gadgets, pompous/portentous writing, playing as characters other than MC, new enemies - I can't honestly think of a single improvement that was added to this game.

This was a great post about the merits of CE (though I disagree with your opinion of Reach). But IMO something that was definitely improved in the sequels was the Hunters.

In CE, the way they die to one pistol/sniper shot has its charm, but removed most of their threat. In most cases, even on Legendary it's easy to remember when they're coming up and make sure to keep pistol/sniper ammo ready.

The sequels' versions were a rare case of bullet sponge enemies being an appropriate change for the better. Giving the player more viable ways to damage them in a fair fight, rather than tempting you to just use the instant kill weapon. They were OK in 2 and 3, more dangerous in ODST - and in Reach, they were speeded up and given some deadly fast slam attacks that made them as scary as they always should have been. On Legendary, the nightclub they guard in New Alexandria, the entrance to Sword Base, and the bit where they turn up in one of the shipyard areas of the last level are some of the scariest bits of the whole game. :wub:

Dual wielding was always a bit rubbish, but most of the sequels' additions were good. Being able to swap weapons with the marines is one of the best things about the series, full stop - there's very little that's more satisfying than getting a whole squad armed with fuel rod cannons on Tsavo Highway, and watching them lay waste to anything that comes within a hundred yards.

37 minutes ago, spanx said:

God yeah, I remember that. I remember it being a lot of fun.

Would love to do some co-op stuff again - got a headset coming for my PC tomorrow. Should try and find some people...

I think it’s cross play?

We should get the band back together!

Spent the evening playing the original Halo on the MCC. What's the general opinion on the visuals, do people prefer the Anniversary or original visuals? I probably prefer the latter, especially outdoors. The revamped ones just seem way too bright at times, losing some of the atmosphere. Plus they add more modern details and textures, that tends too take away from the originals cold,, sleek alien aesthetics.

Up to the Silent Cartographer anyway. It's still absolutely fantastic, for a game that is approaching its 20th birthday

I was actually planning to play Halo 4, as I only did the first 3 levels on the 360, whereas I've played the rest up until that.

Halo actually feels a lot better to play than Perfect Dark Zero, which j downloaded for nostalgia purposes, having quite liked the single player back in 2006. It's a bit slower than modern games, and you aren't as mobile or fast as the likes of Destiny, but the enemy line up is still satisfying to kill, the weaponry feel good and it's got a timeless, basic gameplay loop to it.

How's the online on this, still active? I'm guessing it's just got a big shot in the arm due to the new console launch and patch, though do people play Halo 5 ahead of it? 

Ran into a weird bug in Halo 4 on the level Reclaimer, where it tells me to get a jetpack on the Mammoth and there's none to be found, and the markers for them are like at 0,0 of the level, beyond a massive skybox chasm.

Managed to jolt the scripting into action by just running ahead, in case anyone else runs into it.

12 minutes ago, Parksey said:

Spent the evening playing the original Halo on the MCC. What's the general opinion on the visuals, do people prefer the Anniversary or original visuals?

I remember not liking either of them much - the Anniversary visuals are horribly gaudy and the "original" visuals are missing a lot of effects from the original Xbox version that gave it its atmosphere. It's a game that could really do with another attempt, maybe for the 20th anniversary?

They did a much better job with the Halo 2 update though, the new visuals are clearly the better choice in that one.

The open-air bits in Halo Anniversary look quite nice - albeit often quite different to the original vibe of the game - but the internal bits are often hideous, and eye-fuckingly busy. Also, the anniversary level geometry differs from the original geometry in places, so that you can get shot through cover that seems to be concealing you, or fall off ledges you don't seem to be anywhere near. Generally, I think I prefer the original.

I would love to see a new version of Anniversary for the twentieth anniversary, but 343 have probably got their hands full with Halo Infinite, so I would be surprised if it happens.

22 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I remember not liking either of them much - the Anniversary visuals are horribly gaudy and the "original" visuals are missing a lot of effects from the original Xbox version that gave it its atmosphere. It's a game that could really do with another attempt, maybe for the 20th anniversary?

They did a much better job with the Halo 2 update though, the new visuals are clearly the better choice in that one.

I genuinely can not believe they didn't put up Halo 1 & 2 as BC Xbox original versions. You've got Halo 3 and Reach there as titles working as 360 BC games, why not just the straight up OG Xbox games!?

To be fair there are actually precious few original Xbox games on the BC list, so porting a couple of titles that already existed as part of the MCC probably wasn't a priority for them. Hopefully the BC programme will now resume and we'll get a few more games added to the list - including both original Halos.

1 hour ago, Sprite Machine said:

Is this still the case in the current (or PC) version or has it been fixed?

It hasn't been fixed and (IMO) is unlikely to be fixed any time soon. I think 343 mentioned that they were looking into this in one of their development updates, but it's not on the list of projected changes and updates to the game. That said, I think the issues are pretty minor - it feels like nobody really noticed until fairly recently, and it escaped the notice of, say, Digital Foundry in their deep dive into the different versions of Halo. 

2 hours ago, Parksey said:

How's the online on this, still active? I'm guessing it's just got a big shot in the arm due to the new console launch and patch, though do people play Halo 5 ahead of it? 

I've been playing it online quite a lot since about September there. Never had a problem getting a game.

Though if, for some reason, you pick really narrow criteria (e.g. only Halo 1 Asset Denial games, or something) then you can expect a wait.

Well Halo MCC has downloaded (all 120GB of it!!!). Boot it up and the main screen is EXREMELY dark so dark in fact that its hard to see any text or options on there. Anyone else having this issue? (It's running on my Series X BTW). Just wondering what is going on? All my other games are fine so just Halo MCC. Odd. 

EDIT https://www.trueachievements.com/forum/viewthread.aspx?tid=1151735#:~:text=If this happens to anyone,revert the settings to default.

Seems there are some settings to tweak. Probably an over aggressive HDR setting or it needs calibrating.

Just now, MattyP said:

Well Halo MCC has downloaded (all 120GB of it!!!). Boot it up and the main screen is EXREMELY dark so dark in fact that its hard to see any text or options on there. Anyone else having this issue? (It's running on my Series X BTW). Just wondering what is going on? All my other games are fine so just Halo MCC. Odd. 

I had that. I think there's a brightness setting (possibly HDR even) in the options somewhere that was just set really low for some reason. 

12 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I had that. I think there's a brightness setting (possibly HDR even) in the options somewhere that was just set really low for some reason. 

For anyone else struggling with this:-

Settings ->Video ->Adjust HDR settings - Then just up the contrast a bit. 

Just playing though the first chapter of Halo. It may have just turned 19 years old but its still got it. Its all super smooth on the X as expected really. Plays really well and the visuals aren't bad either with the lick of texture paint they have been given. Think the lighting has been significantly improved on this too. The music too.... Love it. Even now the production qualities hold up. 

The great thing? This is part of GamePass! I did buy it years ago on the One too so it showed up in my library too. Not sure if its been enhanced for the S/X but wow. Still feels fresh. No map though :D 

image.gif.63dbb9a1b2840e9d3dd1b89497c99286.gif

Just playing through the first Halo with my 11 year old on split screen. So lovely to hear him enjoy it as much as me - and it still plays sublimely.

We started on the One X and it looks so much better on the Series X. High resolution and silky smooth. I don’t know if it’s 120 frames in split screen but it’s night and day compared to before.

I also much, much prefer the new textures to the old game. :ph34r:

Had a quick go on 4 last night. Looks amazing but immediately doesn’t feel like Halo for some reason and stuff just looks wrong.

I’ll get back to it once I’ve finished Reach, which I keep thinking has been ending on an epic climax for about three missions now. Turns out there are still four more to go. :o