Halo: The Master Chief Collection. Best served with a side order of Heroic or Legendary

Floex

Admission never completed any of the Halo games all the way through :-/ Got to around 75% of 1,2 and 3. So decided to try and get through them before Halo Infinite drops.

Downloading master chief collection tonight and my mission begins soon see how far I get this time.... Does 5 have a good campaign heard it's more geared to multiplayer?

Be interesting to see how it looks and plays on the Series X.

24 minutes ago, Darren said:

I like the fact that I’m running around on a Ring, carrying an AI and on my way to rescue someone with a Neural Lace. I wonder if Bora Horza Gobuchul will turn up!

Bungie acknowledged Consider Phlebas as one of the sci-fi works that they found most influential! When I first read the book, long after first playing Halo, I automatically pictured the Idirans and Medjel as Elites and Grunts.

16 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Downloading master chief collection tonight and my mission begins soon see how far I get this time.... Does 5 have a good campaign heard it's more geared to multiplayer?

Gameplay-wise, I think it's good, but not stellar. There's a new enemy type introduced that doesn't really work very well (the fast-moving teleporting Promethean soldier things), and an irritating boss that you have to fight an incredible three times. It was definitely heavily MP-focused when I played it, but I'm pretty sure there's been some patching since then to address that. Graphically: splendid. Story-wise, it mixes a decent plot thread (Cortana's story) with a rather crappy one (the guy who's trying to catch MC, can't even remember his name, it's such a load of guff). The updated movement controls for climbing up ledges, etc, work well. Not the worst campaign in the series (*coughHalo2cough*), but not the best. Multiplayer is really excellent tho.

I just started playing through this for the first time in years. I completed the original Halo on legendary back in the day, but I've settled for heroic for now - seemingly a wise decision given by how many goes it took me to survive the initial on-board encounter in Truth and Reconciliation.

But fuck me it's still just an incredible game.

Put Reach on again after the update and nearly burnt my retinas out! OLEDs aren't bright enough my left testi' !

Anyway, yeah no.....not really feeling it. FPS games have come on a long way since Halo and it just feels stunted.

5 minutes ago, Pug said:

Put Reach on again after the update and nearly burnt my retinas out! OLEDs aren't bright enough my left testi' !

Anyway, yeah no.....not really feeling it. FPS games have come on a long way since Halo and it just feels stunted.

Which FPS games? I’m hugely biased, but I’d love to play anything that comes anywhere near Halo. The only recent one I can really think of is Destiny, but even that isn’t anywhere near as tactical.

All the ones you can jump, mantle & duck and the animations are a bit unnatural looking. The early Halos were fucking amazing at the time but my rose-tinted glasses always fall off when I decide to go back.

I'll never forget looking down at the grass when the first Halo came out though.

3 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Did we/I really play Halo with left trigger to shoot as in the default controls?!? I spent the first few mins throwing grenades when wanting to shoot until I found some proper control layouts...

No, Halo CE default controls never have had L-trigger shooting. Don't think it was an option at all until Halo 2 added dual-wielding.

But I can imagine that if you went straight from N64 GoldenEye/Turok (where the left hand shoots with the Z trigger) to Halo, that might have made you mix up your L and R trigger actions at first. Are you thinking of that?

17 minutes ago, Pug said:

All the ones you can jump, mantle & duck and the animations are a bit unnatural looking. The early Halos were fucking amazing at the time but my rose-tinted glasses always fall off when I decide to go back.

I'll never forget looking down at the grass when the first Halo came out though.

I dunno, you can duck and jump in Halo. You can even mantle in the later, shit ones. But, it’s all about the combat for me and nothing has ever bettered it. A few have come close - Crysis, Titanfall 2, Destiny 2, but Halo is still the king.

3 minutes ago, Pug said:

Yep, it was something like "actual grass blades, wow!"

Amazing times, and now we have fronds of grass waving around in some games and I dont give as much of a shit for some reason.

2 hours ago, Nick R said:

No, Halo CE default controls never have had L-trigger shooting. Don't think it was an option at all until Halo 2 added dual-wielding.

But I can imagine that if you went straight from N64 GoldenEye/Turok (where the left hand shoots with the Z trigger) to Halo, that might have made you mix up your L and R trigger actions at first. Are you thinking of that?

It was the default ‘Halo CE’ control layout in the MCC menu and what the game started liken hence my confusion!

3 hours ago, peeveen said:

Gameplay-wise, I think it's good, but not stellar. There's a new enemy type introduced that doesn't really work very well (the fast-moving teleporting Promethean soldier things), and an irritating boss that you have to fight an incredible three times. It was definitely heavily MP-focused when I played it, but I'm pretty sure there's been some patching since then to address that. Graphically: splendid. Story-wise, it mixes a decent plot thread (Cortana's story) with a rather crappy one (the guy who's trying to catch MC, can't even remember his name, it's such a load of guff). The updated movement controls for climbing up ledges, etc, work well. Not the worst campaign in the series (*coughHalo2cough*), but not the best. Multiplayer is really excellent tho.

Halo 5 is fucking shite.

36 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

It was the default ‘Halo CE’ control layout in the MCC menu and what the game started liken hence my confusion!

It's not default in the MCC version eirher. Have you played it before on the ol' Bone and it pulled down your save with esoteric preferred controller layouts included?

3 hours ago, sir stiff_one said:

I’ve given them all a fair whack. 5 has some decent moments, but they are fleeting.

There’s just too much of everything in Halo 5, leaving you far too vulnerable and without any control of the battlefield. I didn’t mind the additions of clamber, dash and ADS, but despite the ostensible increase in agility the only effective way to actually play it solo is timidly edging your way around picking off the hundreds of enemies from miles away, which feels like the least Halo thing ever. There’s still a load of imagination on display in the levels themselves (I particularly liked the orbital lift), but it’s a huge step back from 4 in terms of actually being fun.

10 hours ago, JPL said:

I dunno, you can duck and jump in Halo. You can even mantle in the later, shit ones. But, it’s all about the combat for me and nothing has ever bettered it. A few have come close - Crysis, Titanfall 2, Destiny 2, but Halo is still the king.

Coming fresh from a complete Legendary playthrough - yes, including the Library - of Halo CE on the Series X, not only is Halo CE the best game in the series by far, but no other FPS has come within a billion miles of its greatness. Not even vaguely close. When everything comes together in this game it is pure magic, like nothing else that has come before or since. The purity of the gameplay, the randomness and "did you see THAT?!" moments around every corner, the brevity of the writing, the feel of the controls and the gravity/physics, the music, even the sub-names for the missions (Flawless Cowboy, Reunion tour, I mean, come on) it's all so, so perfect. Halo CE is a once in a lifetime experience, nevermind a console generation.

The sequels are all pointless to me. They just added stuff whilst altering or spoiling the magic that made CE so great. Changing the physics, dual wielding, destructible vehicles, gadgets, pompous/portentous writing, playing as characters other than MC, new enemies - I can't honestly think of a single improvement that was added to this game.

I played a bit of Reach last night and the feel is just completely off. Hated it. Halo 3 is okay but so overblown and trying too hard. There was something natural and effortless about Halo CE's epic feel, but the sequels were all desperately trying to be cinematic blockbusters and failed to recapture the atmosphere and magic.

4 and 5 should never have happened.

8 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Are Halo (1,2,3, Reach) all already updated to 120fps or does that come later?

All games in the collection I believe.

I must say Halo 4 looks fantastic and the loading times for the collections are just amazing. Really makes a huge difference just jumping in for a quick level or two. 

BTW, the game has Optimized for Series S|X logo but can still be stored on an external SSD!

24 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

I played a bit of Reach last night and the feel is just completely off. Hated it. Halo 3 is okay but so overblown and trying too hard. There was something natural and effortless about Halo CE's epic feel, but the sequels were all desperately trying to be cinematic blockbusters and failed to recapture the atmosphere and magic.

Halo 3 is my least favorite game together with 5 because I hate the AI companions in single player (I need to try it with 3 others to see how that works). I just don't think it has much soul. 

I absolutely love the original, but Halo 2 for me was very good for narrative delivery. I know most people hate it but I loved it. Still have to play ODST & Reach. 

Just now, Shimmyhill said:

I can’t see any new settings (other than FOV) to select 120hz?

Seems to be controlled from the Xbox OS. The FOV settings only appear in 60Hz.

I had a mess about yesterday (my B7 only supports 1080p 120Hz) to try this and Ori in 120Hz. Can't say that I noticed much of a difference, to be honest. Nowhere near the jump from 30 to 60.

19 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

I had a mess about yesterday (my B7 only supports 1080p 120Hz) to try this and Ori in 120Hz. Can't say that I noticed much of a difference, to be honest.

Taken from resetera -

Sorry if there's an obvious answer to this, but are there recommended settings for 120hz mode on the b7? When I activate it in a game, the image looks really washed out. Is it just a matter of dropping brightness?

120hz is broken on the B7, you'll never get it looking decent.

Yeah, 4K/60hz/HDR10/DV at 4:2:2 is still the best you can get with HDMI 2.0b OLEDs.

I thought I'd quickly check out Halo 4 on PC yesterday, and ended up fighting with the display options for an hour to get it to display on the TV at the right resolution. Fore some reason this game, and this game only seems confused about what screens can handle what resolution, and there's literally no way I've found to convince it to launch on the TV in full screen at 4K. It does behave if I set it as a borderless window, which is actually fine, but it should work full screen, damnit. :quote:

Anyway, Halo 4 still looks gorgeous. I don't think anything's been done to the graphics beyond allowing for higher resolutions, but I remember it looking like a brand new, next gen game when the collection came out on the Xbox One. It's an amazing visual achievement for a 360 game, even if it couldn't live up to its predecessors.