rllmuk
Floex

Halo: The Master Chief Collection. Best served with a side order of Heroic or Legendary

Campaigns:

CE

Reach 

Halo 3

Halo 4

ODST (though @matt0's earlier post makes me want to replay it!)

Halo 2

Multiplayer:

Reach (yes, yes, I know: "bloom=low skill ceiling"! But it's by far the one I spent most time playing, and had most fun doing so)

Halo 4 (mainly because of the ability to join in-progress games, and because I was better at it than I was at 3)

Halo 3 (because I was crap at it)

Still haven't got an Xbox One so haven't played Halo 5, and I bought Halo 2 too late to play its multiplayer.

1 hour ago, JPL said:

If anyone puts anything above CE they’re objectively wrong. No discussion.

I think it has the best core combat with the classic grunt / jackal / elite enemies but ultimately I just don't like the second half (from the flood appearance on) anywhere near as much as the first half.  I think it has a weird mix of the best level design in the franchise (Halo, Silent Cartographer) and some of the worst excesses of repeated geometry (the Library). Sometimes it manages to have both in the same level (Assault on the Control Room).

ODST and Reach I've come to appreciate more as consistent experiences even if they don't match the highest highs of CE. I like the combat model in ODST and Reach and how it balances larger groups of enemies to fight with more generous hit boxes for head shots and those little jackal shield windows. Playing 5 made me realise how much I want the series to break free of the orbit of CE and just do something different. 5 is full of undeveloped systems that suggest different, more interesting games - like a proper tactical squad game or a full on Vanquish style action game set in the Halo Universe.

• Upvote 3

Just for Silent Cartographer it is the best. I haven't played any level in an FPS, nor had to close to as much with any level in an FPS, as Silent Cartographer in CE. A masterclass in level design.

Special mention for the endless hours of fun getting a warthog all the way down into the map room. Followed by more fun getting *two* warthogs in that map room :D

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Just for Silent Cartographer it is the best. I haven't played any level in an FPS, nor had to close to as much with any level in an FPS, as Silent Cartographer in CE. A masterclass in level design.

Special mention for the endless hours of fun getting a warthog all the way down into the map room. Followed by more fun getting *two* warthogs in that map room :D

How do you get them into the map room. They won’t go through the door, will they? I must have tried hundreds of times over the years!

7 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

It was one of the most jaw-dropping moments the first time I played through that bit. Having bought a US Xbox very very early on I'd not seen it anywhere, so one of the few times I got the full impact of what was going on.

Just a wonderful moment.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, matt0 said:

I think it has the best core combat with the classic grunt / jackal / elite enemies but ultimately I just don't like the second half (from the flood appearance on) anywhere near as much as the first half.  I think it has a weird mix of the best level design in the franchise (Halo, Silent Cartographer) and some of the worst excesses of repeated geometry (the Library). Sometimes it manages to have both in the same level (Assault on the Control Room).

ODST and Reach I've come to appreciate more as consistent experiences even if they don't match the highest highs of CE. I like the combat model in ODST and Reach and how it balances larger groups of enemies to fight with more generous hit boxes for head shots and those little jackal shield windows. Playing 5 made me realise how much I want the series to break free of the orbit of CE and just do something different. 5 is full of undeveloped systems that suggest different, more interesting games - like a proper tactical squad game or a full on Vanquish style action game set in the Halo Universe.

The combat never bettered the original. Everything they added after just took away from it. Total perfection for me.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

7 minutes ago, JPL said:

The combat never bettered the original. Everything they added after just took away from it. Total perfection for me.

I can't argue with that, I still think it's got the highest high points in the series. 

I think the thing with Halo games is they are all great, but they all have flaws, and the flaws change from game to game so it depends which bothers you the least.

CE is great but the second half of the game is basically the first half backwards, the Library level is divisive, and there's a lot of repeated scenery and reused assets throughout.

2 is epic in scope but is completely unbalanced in terms of difficulty, more so as the game progresses - it clearly needed more polishing time. And the plot is bobbins.

3 is great but its adherence to plot over gameplay means it has no Elites. It also has Cortana, the worst Halo level in all the games.

ODST is basically just a series of set-pieces and feels a bit disjointed and inconsequential as a result.

So I'd say Reach is probably the best of the original games: it's polished, has everything everyone likes about Halo, no terrible levels and is just generally lots of fun to play. But they're all fun in their own way.

Haven't played 4 or 5 (yet) so can't comment on those.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JPL said:

How do you get them into the map room. They won’t go through the door, will they? I must have tried hundreds of times over the years!

It's been so long since :lol: 

I was a student back then, had nothing but time and friends over 24/7. Do you mean the very first door or the final one, with the ramp straight after?

To get one warthog down the first door was easy iirc, you can use one to eventually bash the other one through. I remember in the first room with enemies after going through the first door in the structure, you could go left and drive the warthog down a curving ramp with bottomless pit. But there was also a sneaky hole in the floor to the right, which completely bypassed that ramp. I remember spending hours driving and meleeing and throwing grenades and firing rocket launchers to fit the warthog in the hole which was only one master chief wide :lol:

Picture one of us driving the thing into the hole while the other is bashing and placing tactical grenades :lol:

At one point we managed to get one warthog down there. When Master Chief activates the cartographer, a cutscene shows him standing in the map room. The cutscene is in real time so you could see the warthog standing there, obscuring the scene!

I remember the final door also being too small. We used one warthog to ram the other one through, but the second one was very difficult. I think I remember a lot of going back to find more grenades in the level and at some point it just popped through. And when that cutscene started it was hilarious seeing TWO warthogs inside that tiny room, completely obscuring everything :lol: I always thought that should have been an achievement.

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, Sumire said:

I am just playing through these again on X. Halo CE is great still, but it just seems to run pretty poorly in terms of framerate.

Should be running at 4K/60fps.

None of the sequels have even come close to the original. They were all bloated and crowded. I'm playing CE again right now on an original Xbox with a fat controller (found my Yod@box in the loft) and it is absolutely glorious, unmatched and still a thing of wonder. It just hasn't aged at all, if anything the purity of the two weapon system, minimal equipment and all of those beautiful moments of solitary quiet amongst the epic battles are even more welcome now than they were at the time. The pace and rhythm of the first half of the game is still a masterclass and should have been the template for everything that followed. Everything that got added and changed in the sequels was a mistake.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, JPL said:

Should be running at 4K/60fps.

Yeah, that is what I was thinking. It not like a PC where there is a load of potential things that could make it run poorly in the settings you can tweak, so not sure what is causing it. Maybe because I am running it from a SSD.

1 minute ago, Sumire said:

Yeah, that is what I was thinking. It not like a PC where there is a load of potential things that could make it run poorly in the settings you can tweak, so not sure what is causing it. Maybe because I am running it from a SSD.

I always thought that having the game running both the old and new versions at the same time was the wrong way to do things. Sure, it's pretty cool to press a button and see the game transformed from one to the other, but I'm sure it adds unnecessary taxing to the console. 

3 hours ago, Sumire said:

I am just playing through these again on X. Halo CE is great still, but it just seems to run pretty poorly in terms of framerate.

On a 1X? Which level?

Try moving it to the internal drive and/or check cooling/airflow.

It really shouldn’t have any problems at all.

I quite like the updated visuals in Halo: Anniversary. In places. Some of it is extremely garish and busy, and it seems to have been done in the spirit of putting as much as they can into the new visuals to emphasise how much of a technical improvement it is, but it’s interesting to see someone else’s take on the Halo aesthetic. 

Come to think of it, some of the updated visuals are utterly vile (ie the updated Halo itself, with its purple talons hanging off the side and the child’s drawing of space in the background, or the first big inside area in the second level which in the original game was eerily bleak and  understated and in the update looks like it was decorated by a Belarusian oligarch), but I do like the updated Pillar of Autumn and the more visually varied Library. And I quite like the Silent Cartographer as a tropical paradise rather than the Nordic island it was originally, even if I ultimately much prefer Bungie’s version. 

I’d love them to re-do Anniversary so that the visuals are kept up to modern standards, but the style still maintains the feel of the original. Halo 2 Anniversary was tremendous in that regard, and seemed like (with a few exceptions) it was what Bungie would have done if they could. There are a few bits that emphasise lens flare and sunsets where Bungie were clearly going for a more dour, downbeat atmosphere, but generally speaking I thought 343 did a splendid job. They should have another crack at the original game in time for the twentieth anniversary, using what they learned from remastering Halo 2. 

1 hour ago, footle said:

On a 1X? Which level?

Try moving it to the internal drive and/or check cooling/airflow.

It really shouldn’t have any problems at all.

Yep, 1X, Ill try moving it over to internal and see how it goes.

On 14/12/2019 at 22:49, snowbind said:

Reach's campaign is better than CE's. Always has been, still is.

I’ll have to strongly disagree with this after having just finished a Legendary run of Reach.

It’s a great campaign and better than I remember it being, but there are some badly balanced sticking points on Legendary. Mainly the flying sections, which are pretty much a slog to the next check point through trial and error, but the Elites being able to shrug off stickies and sword hits feels a bit of a cheat as well. The less said about the buggers the better.

The purity of the combat of the original isn’t bettered, but it’s the closest they ever came and there are some amazing fights to be had. I think it’s moved up to second place in my list.

Replaying Reach on Legendary, it does feel like the vehicles are a bit too fragile. The warthog bits on Oni Sword Base in particular are quite frustrating because individual ghosts can kill you surprisingly quickly, and you need to be a lot more aggressive to take them down. but the on-foot combat is amazing, and feels near-perfectly balanced. 

I’m really enjoying replaying Reach on Legendary, except the space combat sequence in Long Night of Solace for which there are not enough dog’s dicks in the universe for it to suck.  I love it on Heroic, but on Legendary it’s a complete clusterfuck of getting continuously battered by enemies you can’t see or shake off. The only way I managed to get through the second section where the human space station is attacked en masse is by hiding behind the station itself and popping out every so often to take down a single ship. I managed to get through it eventually, but I am never doing that again solo. 

I completed Reach for the first time the other night. Possibly my favourite Halo campaign as I don’t think there were any levels where I thought “fuck this” and turned it off in a huff.

Now I’m on Halo 2, it’s quite the opposite :lol: