rllmuk
Floex

Halo: The Master Chief Collection. Best served with a side order of Heroic or Legendary

6 hours ago, jonny_rat said:

It's nice to have the shoot-them-in-the-orange-bits up close dance with the Hunters back. Did they work like this in 3 and ODST?

I remember Hunter combat in 2 and 3 tended to be from long range. In ODST they were harder purely because your character was less manoeuvrable than the Chief.

I think of most Hunter encounters in Reach taking place at very close range, and their attack timing and attack tracking were significantly adjusted to allow very little room for error when dancing around them. I'm not sure if the fast 1-hit-kill, behind-the-back, overhead shield slam attack was brand new to Reach, or just an old attack speeded up: either way it was a cause of many, many deaths on Legendary!

In Halo 4, I know a pair turn up in that late-game space station mission (Composer), but I don't remember how their combat was different at all.

Just finished Reach on Heroic,  first ever Halo game and I'm very impressed!  I didn't realise quite how big an area they give you to run around in, figure out choke/cover/cheese points, and generally work out a strategy of how to get through the level.  And some of the levels are genuinely, impressively enormous.  There was a couple of times when I got mildly frustrated because I wasn't sure if everything would keep respawn until I moved on, or if I had to kill everything to move on, but they weren't that frequent.  Could have done without the space bits as well but they weren't too egregious. 

The story was a bit more military hoo-rah than space opera but I gather Reach is the odd one out in that respect, is that right?  Really looking forward to playing through the main trilogy now, whenever they're going to turn them out for PC.

• Upvote 3

The unlocking structure in this doesn’t feel very well thought out. You unlock gear through getting tokens, which you get when you level up. You can then use them to buy gear - but the gear becomes available one piece at a time, after you buy the previous piece. There’s no point at all to the tokens that I can see - they may as well just unlock sequentially. 

Also, the MP is full of people going AFK to unlock gear, as you get 2000 points just for playing a game. 

So I have all the content installed but when I try to play Reach it says I do not have it installed and takes me to a page where it does clearly say I have it installed.  Try again and get taking in the same circle. 

I'm going to have to uninstall the lot and reinstall it right? Playing on Xbox here. 

1 hour ago, K said:

The unlocking structure in this doesn’t feel very well thought out. You unlock gear through getting tokens, which you get when you level up. You can then use them to buy gear - but the gear becomes available one piece at a time, after you buy the previous piece. There’s no point at all to the tokens that I can see - they may as well just unlock sequentially. 

Also, the MP is full of people going AFK to unlock gear, as you get 2000 points just for playing a game. 

The nightmare that was achievement hunting in Halo 3. Every game featured some twerps trying to laser each other and not play the game. 

Achievements in MP games were such a bad idea. See also Little Big Planet and all the awful Trophy unlocking levels. 

So I've been having mad issues with screen tearing. I have g-sync monitors, so it's been a bit of a ballache trying to work out what it was. Anyway long story short, the game tears like a bastard on anything other than fullscreen. Seems rock solid now, even with uncapped frames. 

23 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

The nightmare that was achievement hunting in Halo 3. Every game featured some twerps trying to laser each other and not play the game. 

Achievements in MP games were such a bad idea. See also Little Big Planet and all the awful Trophy unlocking levels. 

Yeah, Bungie never really got to grips with MP achievements. Every map pack would have a bunch of achievements with absurdly specific requirements, like 'kill someone with a mongoose in a ranked FFA game in the Defiant map pack playlist', which were effectively impossible to get after the first couple of weeks. And any game would have a couple of nobheads in that Hayabusa armour desperately trying to engineer a situation where they could get it.

• Upvote 1

The MP in this is a mixed bag. I had a go at the social Big Team Battle list last night, and the first game was King of the Hill, with a fixed-position hill, on the Halo 1 version of Beaver Creak, i.e. twelve players on a map that's better suited to four. It was an absolute clusterfuck of continually being killed and respawning, with grenades taking out half a dozen people at once and bodies flying all over the place. It was fun for about two minutes, but it went on for fifteen.

I had a great Team Slayer game later on (Ghost Town, Halo 3 rules), but some of the choices of game type are a bit weird. They need to tighten up Firefight a bit as well, games can go on for absurd amounts of time. It's not as bad as Horde mode on Gears of War, where you've basically got to book a day off work to finish a game, but they could make it a bit brisker given how quick the loading and the matchmaking are now (which is really impressive in itself).

I might try and get back in to Halo multiplayer over Christmas but I can't see myself doing anything other than setting the match making to one specific game at a time. I don't think my brain could handle having to remember all the slightly different weapon properties and rules for multiple games at once.

I've been playing multiplayer for the last 3 nights. It's taken that amount of time to get back into it. Just Reach, mainly Social 4 v 4, and some Hardcore.

I love hardcore for the lack of Sprint (hate the heavy breathing), but I get pwnd quite a bit more. I'm also surprised at how much like Halo 5 it is.

Nothing beats Halo multiplayer for me, I just love it.

• Upvote 1

I need to give ODST another go. I don’t think it’s a good game play straight off the back of the other ones because almost nothing plays out the ‘usual’ (as in the Master Chief) way. Which I admit I found fairly problematic on my first run through. 

However, all the games have aged very gracefully, and some of the few I have that I enjoy more with each go, so I’m sure I’ll succumb to its charms later on....when it eventually comes to PC.

I will just say that no game has a better sniper rifle, nor any game that shows the blind panic the enemy go into when their comrades are dying all over the place and they don’t know where from! 

It’s a special thing :)

I played through ODST for the first time earlier this year. I enjoyed it but I have to say I did not give a single shit about the plot or any of the characters and like you say the awful models for the human characters did harm it quite a lot. It also took me until about halfway through the game before I really got the point of the night-time city levels, and once I realised it was more a case of using stealth to bypass patrols while looking for terminals they became a lot more enjoyable.

Overall I enjoyed it as a kind of greatest hits of the Halo franchise but it has the distinct whiff of filler about it even now.

That said, after I finished ODST I went back and played the last few levels of Halo 2, as I'd abandoned my playthrough of that about two-thirds of the way through a couple of years previously, and in comparison that was an unbalanced, punishing slog. ODST was much more enjoyable just on a moment-by-moment basis.

I haven't played Halo 4 yet, quite interested to see how that compares given it was a different team and everything.

I really loved ODST, if only because it felt like it was giving you the right amount of a particular thing – Halo 2 & 3 suffered for trying to cover too much ground, so that you got a few levels on earth followed by a few levels in space or on alien worlds, without giving you enough of either to really satisfy. ODST feels like it gets its money’s worth out of the setting – it’s got a tighter focus than either H2 or 3, and is all the better for it (even if the levels don’t quite hit the heights of Delta Halo / Regret or the Ark / the Covenant).

It'd be nice if the open world bits had slightly more variation, so that you went through parks, across flyovers, shopping plazas etc, rather than the generic FutureStreets bits, but it’s understandable given that it was a made with a re-used engine and the leftover funds for a bigger game that was cancelled, and was originally supposed to be DLC. For all that, the city looks lovely with a nice stylised look to it that reminds me a bit of the Earth city levels from Flashback. And I really like the chunky action figure look of the characters, even if the faces look like somebody unwrapped a mummy and touched it up with some Humbrol paint.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

I haven't played Halo 4 yet, quite interested to see how that compares given it was a different team and everything.

Halo 4 really surprised me this time around. It's a way better game than I gave it credit for back on the 360, starts strong and apart from some short duff forced vehicle sections never really slows down (there's some quieter moments, but they work in context and didn't drag for me). I'm planning on doing another big thought dump about it but two big things stuck out for me.

1). It's much closer to Reach in terms of pacing than the first three games.

2). I really like the Promethean's in 4. They're way more interesting to fight than the brutes and they get to share the stage and play off well against Elites. The Knights do most of the things that people love about Elites, with the added interactions with the watchers, and they have the unique silhouettes and readable animations that helped make the original grunt / jackal / elite set up so memorable.

• Upvote 3

Yeah, I think Halo 4 is underrated. It’s a bit unadventurous (although after Halo 5, I’d say this is probably a good thing) and the story gets too tangled up in its own absurdly complex mythology, but the actual game is great. I like the Prometheans too, although the knights could do with more obvious indicators of when their shields are down, and where you actually have to shoot them for a precision kill. But especially on legendary, they’re absolutely fearsome to fight, and you can get those extended one on one duels with individual knights in the same way you did with Elites in the original game.

It has the same problem that most of the other games did (apart from Halo & Reach) in that the vehicle bits feel like defined vehicle sections, rather than an extension of the sandbox. But for a pastiche / soft reboot of the other games, it’s a huge success.

• Upvote 2

Yep. I've got a lot of love for 4. To be honest I have pretty fond memories of 5 outside of the plot and that stupid fucking boss. They'd refined the Prometheans to be a bit less bullet shield-y than they were in 4 and the verticality made for really entertaining firefights. It was just too bogged down in its own bollocks. 

I know they sort of have a trilogy to wrap up but I'd love it if 6 saw the chief basically go "alright Cortana, sod you then, I'm off to a completely new system that has nothing to do with anything you've seen before" and is all about discovering new cool dangerous shit in a big sandbox. 

I'm one of those poor saps who bloody loves all the sci-fi stuff in the Halo games, so Halo 4 was absolutely lapped up by me :) .

Really love the game too...still looks extraordinary.

• Upvote 1

Feeling the irony that after all this time playing Halo with only a couple of friends, I now see my friends list busy with folk on MCC while I can't tear myself away from COD :lol:

Looking forward to playing through Reach again over Christmas :D

• Upvote 1

IGN re-reviews MCC

Spoiler

9.5/10

"Halo: MCC is like a divorced dad who stopped drinking, started going to the gym, and went to therapy to better himself."

Halos ranked:

1. Halo 2
  2. Halo: Combat Evolved
  3. Halo 3
  4. Halo 3: ODST
  5. Halo 4
  6. Halo Reach
  7. Halo 5: Guardians

5 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Halo 2 is actually really good and it’s only the rllmuk bubble that hates it. 

Yeah, I love it. It’s not the best though.

Shall we do our lists? Go on!

Halo CE

Halo 3

Halo Reach

Halo 2

Halo ODST

Halo 4

Halo 5

Halo : CE

Halo 3

Halo 2 

Halo : Reach 

Halo 3 : ODST

- - - 

Halo 4 

Halo 5 

tbh, apart from CE being by far the best.. the other Bungie Halos are all about as good as each other. Not much in it. 

3 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Halo : CE

Halo 3

Halo 2 

Halo : Reach 

Halo 3 : ODST

- - - 

Halo 4 

Halo 5 

We’re not far off, only 2 and Reach have switched places. I think I’m loving Reach as I’m working my way through it on Legendary at the moment. The combat against those Elites is still as amazing as ever, although it’s a bit shit that the generals can shrug off a sticky.