rllmuk
Floex

Halo: The Master Chief Collection. Best served with a side order of Heroic or Legendary

Doesn't look like I'll be playing Reach tonight but so glad it's there, I wasn't ever very good but loved Big Team Battle, especially the heavy varients which I hope are back for this. 

Oh dear, not a great start.

The button in the Xbox App isn't working for this, won't load up - had to find it via the Start Menu. And then audio cuts out in the first cutscene, and then it kicks me out to a menu, and every time I continue it just kicks me out again, and if I try to play a different one I get this:

2F996Kw.png

That's like four different issues in as many minutes.

I had similar issues when I first started it. Wouldn't load up when pressing play via the Game Pass app, started it by searching for it, then when I got into the Main Menu nothing I clicked on was working.

Restarted my PC and it's been smooth sailing since then, so hard to complain too much. It's great to be playing Reach again, that's for sure.

The new idents at the start look very Gears of War.  Annoyingly, my favourite armour from the original Reach unlocks at level 85, so unless you can absolutely blast through them, looks like I’m using something else. 

well, PC, got it loaded, started it up...not much in the way of graphics options!?! (there are three, performance, original, enhanced) BUT there IS an FOV slider :D feels odd to play it with a mouse.

only has 60 or unlimited, would have been nice to have a couple others, like 85 or summit. ahwell.

Performance, 4k 60, nah, lets try some 5k60! 0_o (ive got a 1440p monitor so it scales down nicer)....smooooth! haha, ok, it then put it back to 1440p 60, as its got some really nice AA that makes it look clean!

I have an inkling that achievements are kind of buggered - at least on Steam.

Given that I've just booted it up and played for around an hour I'm excited to learn I've already killed 100 Elites, 100 Brutes, completed 10 missions and a whole heap of other fun stuff!

Clearly, I'm a god.

32 minutes ago, JoeK said:

I have an inkling that achievements are kind of buggered - at least on Steam.

Given that I've just booted it up and played for around an hour I'm excited to learn I've already killed 100 Elites, 100 Brutes, completed 10 missions and a whole heap of other fun stuff!

Clearly I'm playing on easy. ;)

• Upvote 2

Plays really well, probably shouldn't have started it just before bed though.

I'm debating whether I want to play this online at all. Used to enjoy some forum-related Halo 3 back in the day but playing with randoms was pretty much a case of getting one in the back with the laser sword thingy. Still, when it all hits Steam properly that's plenty of single-player action for the money, no mistake.

Love me some Reach, playing at 4k 60 no dips just silky smooth. Reach has some epic music and the chatter between your team mates and the frantic fire fights is superb. Microsoft done good bringing this to Steam.

• Upvote 1

Been getting back in the saddle tonight. Surprisingly I'm still crap but it was good fun getting a few BTB games in, but it's a bit of a shame your career record doesn't transfer, all those hours back in the day and it doesn't show. I was at Legend level too (I know that's nothing to do with skill and just how long I've been playing). 

Like @K said earlier in the thread it's going to be a slog to unlock the armour varients. 

6 hours ago, Max Damage said:

Love me some Reach, playing at 4k 60 no dips just silky smooth. Reach has some epic music and the chatter between your team mates and the frantic fire fights is superb. Microsoft done good bringing this to Steam.

Out of interest what GPU/CPU do you have?

4 hours ago, MattyP said:

Out of interest what GPU/CPU do you have?

I7 6700k and a 1080 gtx I think.

Unfortunately I don't want to play anymore more of this until the devs fix the sound, it's messed up and lacking any kind of centre sounds or something.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

...if you want it to be really hard. 
Play it on Heroic, then replay it on Legendary 

It was more about his comment of it being a bit meh. Just made me think he's probably playing it or normal or something.

This is still pretty much the pinnacle of first person shooters for me. The visuals have aged a bit, and weirdly, the higher resolution actually emphasises that aging – the fuzziness of the graphics when playing the original on BC actually hides some of its shortcomings, and make it look a bit less clean and unreal. But man, the design just hasn’t aged at all. Each little setpiece just lays down the foundations, and lets the ensuing battle play out however you want. Each bit is super-open, and can often be approached from a number of directions, with a variety of equipment, with or without a vehicle, and ends differently every time. Just choosing whether to go left or right into an arena can completely change the way it goes.

Plus, the atmosphere is absolutely peerless. The rain pounding on tin roofs in the first level, and the sun occasionally coming out to briefly warm those bleak mountain bunkers; the snow being kicked up as you razz your warthog through the slush in the second level. It’s the perfect winter game.

A few observations:

-is it just me, or does the 60fps update make it much, much easier? I was playing through on Heroic, and had to keep checking to see if I had accidentally put it on normal. Sniping in particular is a piece of piss. Not a problem in itself as the game can be made as hard as you want through the skulls and whatnot, but I was struck by how easily I slid through the first couple of levels.

-it’s pretty buggy. I had textures flickering, my character being randomly pushed around by unseen forces, and weird little things like Kat levitating in a lift.

-you can’t seem to save films in the theatre, WTF. There just doesn’t seem to be an option to save them, they’re just stuck in your temporary films until they get deleted forever. Unless I’m missing something? I had an incredible moment last night where my warthog hit a ghost, flipped, and kicked everyone out to face two elites and a ghost with no shields; it looked as though I was about to die, at which point another warthog steamed in from stage left and mowed the lot of them down. Would love to save that.

-Slightly annoying that they’ve removed some of the Firefight game types. Score attack / grunt attack / gruntpocalypse was always my favourite, as it was effectively more solo levels. I guess I could recreate it in custom games.

-the new front end is a bit ugly, and I miss the original Reach’s elegant front end with its nice matte painting backgrounds for each mode. It’s slightly irritating that you can only unlock new armour types through the multiplayer. The original let you unlock stuff through single player challenges and Firefight as well.

-it would be nice to have the ODST Firefight levels added to Reach as well, as IIRC they’re the only bit of Halo content that isn’t in the MCC.

-I’d almost forgotten how weirdly satisfying it is to micromanage your marine buddies and their weapons. Finally convincing the dude with the missile launcher to get in the passenger seat and then rolling into battle with your near-invincible rocket / gauss hog was nearly as triumphant as the bit at the end of Creed where they finally play the Rocky theme.

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, grungekid said:

Is this 60fps on base Xbox one?

Firefight is but I haven't started the campaign yet. ODST and Halo 4 both had frame rate drops, so I'm guessing this does too.