rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
englishbob

Blade Runner 2049

Just now, Mr Cochese said:

Wait, I just realised it's an enormous sex doll head - not a plane wreckage.

No, it's definitely a plane, it just looks a lot like a sex doll head.

15 hours ago, pervent aline perio grow d said:

You should watch Half Nelson englishbob, see if Gosling's sexy nihilism does anything for you.

Maybe. 

While I'm going for maximum negs in this thread, I didn't rate Arrival either. That's "Arrival" AND "Drive", two of the forums' holy grail's 

Arrival was well made, but just not the film I thought it was going to be. I bought the Blu-ray, and I'd settled back for a great piece of sci-fi, and got a melodrama instead. I couldn't wait for it to end once I knew what it was turning into.

After watching Blade Runner (the original) again very recently to show my daughter, I realise it is probably my favourite film of all time (And I don't really rate Ridley Scott's other work that highly, as you would say Kubrick, Scorsese etc.). My appetite for BR2049 is seriously non-existent. It is just a vehicle to make money, in a system that has run out of ideas.

I may of been a little more receptive if it wasn't an extension of the original story. The existence of Deckard in a sequel some decades into the future completely spoils the perfection of the characters end-story in the original. The other two things, about giving a Gosling AND Villeneuve film another shot, is the lesser of the first evil, but doesn't fill me with any desire for this at all.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, englishbob said:

Maybe. 

While I'm going for maximum negs in this thread, I didn't rate Arrival either. That's "Arrival" AND "Drive", two of the forums' holy grail's 

There's only one forum Holy Grail, and if you say a word against Speed Racer... 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, englishbob said:

Negged for inexplicable apostrophe.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, englishbob said:

Maybe. 

Arrival was well made, but just not the film I thought it was going to be. I bought the Blu-ray, and I'd settled back for a great piece of sci-fi, and got a melodrama instead. I couldn't wait for it to end once I knew what it was turning into.

After watching Blade Runner (the original) again very recently to show my daughter, I realise it is probably my favourite film of all time (And I don't really rate Ridley Scott's other work that highly, as you would say Kubrick, Scorses eetc.). My appetite for BR2049 is seriously non-existent. It is just a vehicle to make money, in a system that has run out of ideas.

I may of been a little more receptive if it wasn't an extension of the original story. The existence of Deckard in a sequel some decades into the future completely spoils the perfection of the characters end-story in the original. The other two things, about giving a Gosling AND Villeneuve film another shot, is the lesser of the first evil, but doesn't fill me with any desire for this at all.

Having read the blade runner sequel and finding it so forgettable that i can barely remember  the plot that mythos of the 1st films self contained story is lost on me but can understand the pov that it didn't need a sequel. This looks like Blade Runner and if it turns out 1/2 as good as the original it'll probably be better than 90% of the shit thats churned out.

In regards Arrival, it probably benefited  from the lack of bombast usually associated with "alien" movies and the fact that Jeff Goldblum  wasn't involved in trying to plant a bomb/virus/some other shit on a spaceship.

• Upvote 1

Those ARE shit posters but tbf, I don't think any Villeneuve film has had a good poster. 

I'm still pumped for this. Just rewatched the trailer and it's still the bees knees.

Bladerunner is one of my perfect films. 

No, hang on I should rephrase that - the original Bladerunner film (with the dialogue and the shining ending) is one of my perfect films.

Which is some sort of heresy, I know - but as it was one of the first films I saw at the cinema - very much underage - it had a colossal effect on me and my love of sci-fi. 

Honestly, I can see why a sequel would be made, but I have no desire to see it...it could be the best thing ever and I'll be missing out, but dragging in Ford and linking the whole thing to the original seems to be such a fucking annoying cop out. If they really needed to do a new Bladerunner film, give me a new tale of rogue skin-jobs. Please.

Clearly, it doesn't help that I don't think Deckard is a replicant ;)

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, clippa said:

@englishbob, Arrival was good but not great. I was the same as you, wanted less melodrama and more aliens.
Drive I thought was boring overrated tosh.

Villeneuve seems to be highly rated on here but I haven't seen anything of his that i particularly liked.

Just googled, they've given him dune as well? That's Jodorowskys by right, fuckdamn it!

People know Villeneuve didn't direct Drive, right?

It's also kind of strange people say things like 'Arrival is loved on rllmuk'. I mean, it's loved all over the place - it was a huge critical success.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, englishbob said:

Maybe. 

After watching Blade Runner (the original) again very recently to show my daughter, I realise it is probably my favourite film of all time (And I don't really rate Ridley Scott's other work that highly, as you would say Kubrick, Scorsese etc.). My appetite for BR2049 is seriously non-existent. It is just a vehicle to make money, in a system that has run out of ideas.

Have.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, gizmo1990 said:

Updated!? :huh: It still looks awesome!!

You know what I mean - so it runs ok on a modern PC. I agree, it's always looked amazing. I loved the way it took elements from the book as well as the film.

4 hours ago, Shoes said:

People know Villeneuve didn't direct Drive, right?

I think englishbob was just picking another film with Gosling in, who he doesn't appear to like very much, as well as the movie Arrival. So a Gosling movie directed by Villeneuve... well.

Anyway, I'm also not keen on Arrival, but have loved all of Villeneuves's other movies, and think Drive is awesome, and don't mind Gosling too much, although I hated him in Only God Forgives. Confusing! Can't work out whether this means I'll love or hate the new Bladerunner film before I've even seen it!

• Upvote 2

It's odd (not odd) how much difference a soundtrack makes to a film. Because, reason aside, that first teaser at least felt wonderful. That second one feels shit. Prob the combo of the music and the fast cutting, but yeah. Decidedly less elegiac, therefore less Blade Runner, therefore decidedly more shit.

Though, Villeneuve aside, obviously I don't think there's anything to get excited about in yet another unnecessary franchisation of a beloved 70s/80s film. Having said that, I'm looking forward to them retconning the reimagining of the remake of The Thing to show us what happens when a 90-year-old Kurt Russell is found wandering the Antarctic in his tattered underpants by a drunken Michael Fassbender while he's out searching for his dog that got lost in a snowdrift. Or has that already happened in Alien, I lose track sometimes.

I liked Only God Forgives. Shallow, but beautiful. A bit like Blade Runner in that respect really, and also like that film, relatively original in its field at the time. It felt like seeing something new, even though it was just a hybrid of other things. That goes a long way.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gorf King said:

It's odd (not odd) how much difference a soundtrack makes to a film. Because, reason aside, that first teaser at least felt wonderful. That second one feels shit.

Definitely. Generic trash.

• Upvote 1

I think there's a lot to be optimistic about regarding this, but that t-shirt really bothers me more than it should. The costume designs of Blade Runner have a very distinct style to them, all varying degrees of 1930's retro noir and bizarre 'futuristic' flourishes. There's not a single character in the original dressed in something so conventional, so modern and mundanely casual. It breaks the world.

There are no t-shirts in Blade Runner.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, CarloOos said:

I think there's a lot to be optimistic about regarding this, but that t-shirt really bothers me more than it should. The costume designs of Blade Runner have a very distinct style to them, all varying degrees of 1930's retro noir and bizarre 'futuristic' flourishes. There's not a single character in the original dressed in something so conventional, so modern and mundanely casual. It breaks the world.

There are no t-shirts in Blade Runner.

I think this is looking promising but I'd just like to give you a massive high five. The t-shirt. I'm so annoyed by the t-shirt.

I hate that I'm annoyed by the t-shirt.

• Upvote 1

I thought that too, not just because he's dressed like Ford, rather than his character, but also because of the almost timelessness of the original costume design. Hopefully it's just the poster, but this has better not be generic CGI future. It needs to ooze atmosphere and be alive.

Yeah, I think the original is my favorite individual film.

They don't make films like Blade Runner any more, shit they haven't for decades, in fact there are very few films that even came close to it in its own era. I think we need to realise that even with a great director whom we have faith in, the style of production simple isn't achievable in modern day Hollywood.

• Upvote 1