Blade Runner 2049

englishbob

Just back from this.

Spoiler

I thought it was too long, and, after Drive, Only God Forgives, The Place Beyond the Pines, Half Nelson, and seemingly every other film he's in, I'm over Ryan Gosling's stand-still-blank-face-don't-say-much-style of acting.

HOWEVER, I think it's also quite possibly the most visually spectacular film I've ever seen, right up there with 2001, and the original, which it even manages to surpass. Every single frame is mesmerising. The first time you see the rows and rows of buildings carpeting LA; the dump city; Vegas; the lighting; all the interior shots of the Wallace building; the special effects - everything just looked utterly incredible. I found myself constantly scanning the screen to try to take it all in. The soundtrack, similarly, was fantastic and gave me shivers from the very first notes.

Ultimately, I don't think it's as good as the original (but then again, what is?), but it's still very much a 5 star film and is the best Sci-fi movie I've seen since Ex Machina (which, incidentally, owes a huge amount to the original BR).

I also think a sequel is all but inevitable given the fact that, a) Wallace, the evil slave mastermind, is still at large; b) the 'revolution' that is hastily brought up in the third act before being forgotten about hasn't happened; and c) we need to find out if Joe actually dies.

Saw this last night. Thoughts. 

I found it too long. My bum hurt. 

Utterly beautiful. 

Sounded amazing. 

Incredible cinematically. 

Interesting.

Didnt do much for me story wise (Love the 1st Film)

It was very po-faced. 

Would watch it again at home on a bit TV but overall it left me quite cold. 

Saw this yesterday, I was happily surprised to find it wasn't shit as I so love the original. Anyway unless I've missed it I don't think this has been discussed so would like to know your thoughts:

Spoiler

The implanted memory of the horse statue was put in many replicants, not just Joe, the girl from Halt and Catch Fire, the Prostitue replicant even finds it and says ahh it's from the dream. Therefore isn't the point of this implanted dream to give replicants a feeling of being 'the one', important and unique and hence giving them a sense of self worth which in turn will lead to a rising up of their 'race'? The leader of the rebels even says we have all thought we were the one as if to say it is an idea which helps them achieve a certain sense of consciousness and in the future enable them to stop being slaves. 

Spoiler

Yes it's a real memory but now implanted into an unknown amount of replicants but it seems like it's being implanted in many and leading to a certain change in consciousness, I just think there is something more to this idea. The fact it is coming from the true 'born' replicant, is this part of the original plan or something that has come about later solely from the born replicant? It's clearly having an effect on them.

39 minutes ago, Minion said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Yes it's a real memory but now implanted into an unknown amount of replicants but it seems like it's being implanted in many and leading to a certain change in consciousness, I just think there is something more to this idea. The fact it is coming from the true 'born' replicant, is this part of the original plan or something that has come about later solely from the born replicant? It's clearly having an effect on them.

Spoiler

It's begs the question though, whose memory is it? I didn't quite believe that the dream architect daughter was the girl who was born, or even a physical being at all. I thought she was an AI construct herself, a bit like Joi. 

14 minutes ago, Stanley said:
  Hide contents

It's begs the question though, whose memory is it? I didn't quite believe that the dream architect daughter was the girl who was born, or even a physical being at all. I thought she was an AI construct herself, a bit like Joi. 

Interesting theory, I need to think about what that might mean in the context of everything as it definitely opens a whole load more questions

2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Indeed. It's mind bending stuff. I really want to see it again to see what I pick out on second viewing. Cinema prices are so expensive though I think I'll wait until the home release.

Yeah I really want to see it again too, I'm thinking of taking a half day sometime this week to catch an early showing which is hopefully quieter as I can't stand busy cinemas.

It's a shame Denis Villeneuve didn't read the should we keep the female form? thread.

Tits....everywhere. Big tits, smalll tits, tits on the side of mountains, tits being projected on the side of sky scrapers. Any dick or balls? Not a dick or ball in sight! Would have been perfectly fine to shoot the thing as is, and keep the 'sexism' in the world without smashing a bunch of nips into my retina at every opportunity.  I definitely thought the representation of women and the homogeneity of the cast a problem. The dominant prejudice in the world did seem to be about skinjobs so I don't think it would have hurt to have been swapping some of those genders around either. 

Loved K's take on the first one.

23 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

It's also extremely white considering it's LA 30 years from now and all the signs in the city are dual language. The Japanese cultural appropriation is a bit of a problem considering there are no Japanese people in the world.

Or, given what we're seeing in contemporary politics, a very white LA is probably (and depressingly) a more accurate reflection of how things are going. 

2 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

It's also extremely white considering it's LA 30 years from now and all the signs in the city are dual language. The Japanese cultural appropriation is a bit of a problem considering there are no Japanese people in the world.

I'd say this is one of the things they get the most right. The future is entirely white people who wish they were Japanese.

I just watched the Mark Kermode doc 'On the Edge of Blade Runner' on Youtube, which I'd not seen before. It's low-budget but pretty good all the same, and includes the clip of Ridley at the end where he confirms that Deckard is a replicant.

If Deckard is indeed a replicant, and given his appearance in 2049, I take it that replicants can age, like humans do? I never thought they were able to.

Saw this yesterday. Apart from the objectification of women I thought it was perfect. So much better than Villieneuves other films (and the distinctly average Arrival in particular) that it's hard to believe it's the same person. The direction here is so confident, from the way he coaxes brilliant performances from everyone (apart from Bautista) to the way he shots every scene with such an assured distinctiveness.

Its such a welcome nowadays to see a director who knows the limits of CGi and plays to their strengths so well. This is one of the most visually striking movies ever made. He even knows just how to use both Gosling and Mr Grumpy now he's older Harrison Ford. 

The score, whilst nowhere near as good as the first, is still my favourite since Interstellar. 

So, my favourite films of the year by a considerable margin. 9.5/10

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

I just watched the Mark Kermode doc 'On the Edge of Blade Runner' on Youtube, which I'd not seen before. It's low-budget but pretty good all the same, and includes the clip of Ridley at the end where he confirms that Deckard is a replicant.

If Deckard is indeed a replicant, and given his appearance in 2049, I take it that replicants can age, like humans do? I never thought they were able to.

I think that the premise now is all bets are off as to what different models can and can’t do.

I’d take anything Ridley Scott said with a pinch of salt as the people currently at the helm have their own ideas.

I’m still so shocked and relieved that this was excellent.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Spoiler

The leader of the resistance clearly ages between the photo of her with the baby and the present day.