rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
englishbob

Blade Runner 2049

Just now, K said:

Yeah, but why use those ones?

Hide contents

She said that using real people's memories was illegal, and she seemed pretty good at making them up from whole cloth. Using that specific memory, with that hugely significant date, seemed to have been done with some purpose, but I could quite figure out what.

Spoiler

She (I think it was her anyway) also said something about there being a little bit of the makers in the memories. And she probably went further with that than she really should have.

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:
  Hide contents

She (I think it was her anyway) also said something about there being a little bit of the makers in the memories. And she probably went further with that than she really should have.

Fair enough. 

Spoiler

I can handle a coincidence to kick off the plot of a film, it just seemed a bit like there was some design to him having that specific memory.

I thought this was frequently very great, but also frequently kind of a mess, and seemed to lurch into a default action movie dialogue mode when there wasn't anything in particular going on.

Spoiler

What was going on with that love scene? The movie's in just about full chase mode and it stops for about 15 minutes to be super weird. I can understand why they were loathe to remove it as it's just so conspicuously fascinating and fucking bananas but it kind of doesn't work for the story.

It was Roger Deakins pretty though. I'm automatically all-in on any movie about the social politics of a wholly anthropogenic world at a time when rich billionaires are talking about the technological means for humanity to survive the death of nature. Don't think it'll age particularly well.

34 minutes ago, K said:

Fair enough. 

Hide contents

I can handle a coincidence to kick off the plot of a film, it just seemed a bit like there was some design to him having that specific memory.

Spoiler

Given that the leader of the replicant uprising says that it's "just a piece of puzzle", I think we have to assume that he was deliberately led to believe he was the magic baby in order to misdirect anyone who got on the trail.

But that doesn't make sense with the dialogue earlier in the scene.

1 minute ago, Alex W. said:

Hide contents

Given that the leader of the replicant uprising says that it's "just a piece of puzzle", I think we have to assume that he was deliberately led to believe he was the magic baby in order to misdirect anyone who got on the trail.

But that doesn't make sense with the dialogue earlier in the scene.

Spoiler

Also, she seems genuinely surprised that he thought he was the chosen one. I thought it might be connected with the fact that Deckard's daughter had her identity merged with another child at the orphanage, but given that K had no childhood, that doesn't make any sense either. It feels a bit like something that might have survived from an earlier draft of the script and never quite got tidied up, but it's not exactly a major problem.

I think this is going to be one of those films that will reward multiple rewatches, and that the pieces of the puzzle are indeed all there, we just have to tease them out.

Looks like it's not done too well this weekend in the US, well below the most modest expectations, although it's still No. 1. Expected $45-$55m, got $31.5m. Meeting expectation overseas though.

58 minutes ago, K said:

Fair enough. 

Hide contents

Spoiler

I think all of the replicants who were part of Freysa's resistance group had that memory too - the gut-wrenching moment when she said something like, "Oh, you thought it was you? Everyone here believed that too". Perhaps Deckard's daughter deliberately uploaded an illegal memory to start off the resistance movement?

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, K said:

Hide contents

Also, she seems genuinely surprised that he thought he was the chosen one. I thought it might be connected with the fact that Deckard's daughter had her identity merged with another child at the orphanage, but given that K had no childhood, that doesn't make any sense either. It feels a bit like something that might have survived from an earlier draft of the script and never quite got tidied up, but it's not exactly a major problem.

Spoiler

I might be misremembering the scene, but I thought she was more surprised that he wasn't sharp enough to have realised by then that it was an implanted memory.

And did she say something to the effect of "We all want to believe we're the child"? As if maybe the memory had been seeded far and wide to trigger some kind of awakening - the memory of a replicant being bullied by humans, protecting and hiding this one thing that made them special.

EDIT: Too slow!

I really enjoyed this, ridiculous Evil Space Jesus and all.

I think I missed something big linked to the above discussion though:

Spoiler

How does K jump to the conclusion that the memory creator woman is Deckard's daughter? When in the film is that link made? It all seemed a bit sudden. Is it only because she starts crying when he shows her that memory?

If so, seems a pretty tenuous link. I left the cinema believing that the film was deliberately trying to ape the was he?/wasn't he? conundrum of the first film, as in it's still entirely possible that K is Deckard's son.

1 minute ago, Let us measure said:

I really enjoyed this, ridiculous Evil Space Jesus and all.

I think I missed something big linked to the above discussion though:

Hide contents

How does K jump to the conclusion that the memory creator woman is Deckard's daughter? When in the film is that link made? It all seemed a bit sudden. Is it only because she starts crying when he shows her that memory?

If so, seems a pretty tenuous link. I left the cinema believing that the film was deliberately trying to ape the was he?/wasn't he? conundrum of the first film, as in it's still entirely possible that K is Deckard's son.

Spoiler

When he's flashing back over it, she says that artists put too much of themselves into their work, which strongly implies it's her memory. Also she's been hidden away in a metal box since she was a child, that seems like a bit of a give-away.

Obviously for the characters it's a bit of a stretch but the film lays it on pretty thick that this is the definitive answer.

16 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Looks like it's not done too well this weekend in the US, well below the most modest expectations, although it's still No. 1. Expected $45-$55m, got $31.5m. Meeting expectation overseas though.

The multiplex I saw it in was practically deserted. Something that really pissed me off was they had the brightness of the screen so low that the bright green fire exit sign near the bottom left corner of the screen made a huge green shaded splodge over a large portion of the image.

Just now, Alex W. said:

Hide contents

When he's flashing back over it, she says that artists put too much of themselves into their work, which strongly implies it's her memory. Also she's been hidden away in a metal box since she was a child, that seems like a bit of a give-away.

Obviously for the characters it's a bit of a stretch but the film lays it on pretty thick that this is the definitive answer.

Spoiler

I see that, but then she still has job responsibilities at a major company, and I wonder why no one has questioned why she isn't allowed to leave her cage. Does seem like a crazy stretch.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Let us measure said:

Hide contents

I see that, but then she still has job responsibilities at a major company, and I wonder why no one has questioned why she isn't allowed to leave her cage. Does seem like a crazy stretch.

Spoiler

She has a job because she's very good at it. One of the top in the field, apparently. And she's in the room because her immune system is supposed to be gone. So leaving is basically death (although maybe a lie to keep her there?).

• Upvote 1

It's done better than I expected. i had it pegged at about $25m. I think Hollywood put way too much clout behind the online scene and the comic con crowd. Nobody in the wider world really wants sequels and remakes of the stuff they grew up with. This nostalgia fix thing is really distinct audience. 

People want movies like Hell or High Water, Sicario, Dunkirk, Inception, Arrival, The Conjuring, IT, Best Exotic Marigold. Genre pictures that tell stories. 

Obviously Marvel and Star Wars with their $1bn marketing budgets are the big hitters, but outside of that people just want good stuff.

If this film wasn't called Blade Runner and was just a future Sci Fi by Villeneuve starring Ryan Gosling shot by Deakin, I reckon you could knock 15% off the box office, but I also reckon it's possible you could add 15% by appealing to the something new crowd. 

The closer I get to Hollywood the more I feel that they don't have a fucking clue.

I'm glad it's good though. That's something.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Hide contents

She has a job because she's very good at it. One of the top in the field, apparently. And she's in the room because her immune system is supposed to be gone. So leaving is basically death (although maybe a lie to keep her there?).

Spoiler

That makes a bit more sense. It would have to be a lie to keep tabs on her.

3 hours ago, sandman said:

As pointed out in the Arrival thread I am now rather worried about this.  Not been a big fan of his last 3 films which felt over-hyped and for millennials (not that there's anything wrong with that, but it ain't me) 

Also very worried about the running time. The vast majority of Hollywood product is so bloated nowadays. 

The original is in my top 3 of all time and I so don't want this to disappoint.  

I would say if you don’t like his films generally then this might not sit you.

i would also say the running time felt less then an hour and a half to me, it didn’t drag at all.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, K said:

Fair enough. 

Hide contents

Spoiler

Don’t forget, the pink haired replicant also mentioned the horse or the date when she left his apartment. It implied that the same memory or something very similar he’d been implemented in multiple replicants.

1 hour ago, Froettmaning said:

Hide contents

I might be misremembering the scene, but I thought she was more surprised that he wasn't sharp enough to have realised by then that it was an implanted memory.

And did she say something to the effect of "We all want to believe we're the child"? As if maybe the memory had been seeded far and wide to trigger some kind of awakening - the memory of a replicant being bullied by humans, protecting and hiding this one thing that made them special.

EDIT: Too slow!

Spoiler

Doctor Ana Stelline -> Cloned Alterations !

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Alex W. said:
  Hide contents

I think all she said was “it came from a tree” because she’s fascinated by trees and it’s made of wood. 

Spoiler

Or, maybe, “it came from a dream?”

• Upvote 2

Just got back from 2D IMAX in Liverpool 1. Fuck me was that loud! Loved the physical assault, really added to the film.

Which was very good. Not the second-coming-filmgasm I’ve been reading here and there, but just a very good film, with lots of great ideas and performances.

Two things really surprised me:

1. It didn’t feel long enough.

2. Le Chuck’s epic misreading (;)) of a key element of the world made a certain scene in the film his least liked, yet it was for me by far the best scene in the 163 minutes, and the film’s emotional heart.

RE box office its tracking about the same as fury road which had a similar budget. The Chinese box office should be pretty good, they seem to go wild for sci fi.

Ps I loved Hell or High Water,  Sicario and Arrival but the box office was pretty awful for all of them. What people really want are endless comic book movies, spin offs and cheapo horror movies 

21 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Ps I loved Hell or High Water,  Sicario and Arrival but the box office was pretty awful for all of them. 

They were all huge successes relative to their budget and P&A spend. Every one of them was more profitable than BR2049 will end up being. HoHW was considered the surprise hit of last year.

https://www.thewrap.com/the-11-biggest-box-office-surprises-of-2016/