englishbob

Blade Runner 2049

1 hour ago, Mr Cochese said:

Has anyone ever actually used the Ultraviolent service? I probably have loads of those expiring in their boxes.

I haven't, but I do know one person who regularly made use of the old Ultraviolent service:

Spoiler

2Womhpl.jpg

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, Mr Cochese said:

Has anyone ever actually used the Ultraviolent service? I probably have loads of those expiring in their boxes.

I had a load that expired that but still worked when I redeemed the code.

Anyway, some people buy the codes on ebay. You could probably get £2-£5 depending on the film

On 15/02/2018 at 10:31, SpagMasterSwift said:

It is heavily suggested that Deckard is a replicant in Blade Runner due to Gaff’s origami unicorn reveal that he has knowledge of Deckard’s dreams. Even without this addition there is the question lurking in comments such as Rachael asking him if he ever took the Voight-Kampff test on himself. I always liked the ambiguity, but with Deckard being such a flawed human (an arsehole throughout most of the film holding on to a job that keeps him from joining the ‘little people’ at the literal bottom of the social class ladder) I struggle to buy that he’s a replicant. He’d have to be ‘special’ like Rachael, which is where the conversation that Wallace has with him in Blade Runner 2049 comes in. Wallace tells Deckard that his meeting with Rachael was set up and that she was created (and by extension so was he) in such a way that they’d have a connection.

Spoiler

I rewatched the Final Cut of BR last night and one thing I noticed for the first time, despite seeing it half a dozen times, was that all of the replicants' eyes, and Tyrell's owl, so seemingly anything artificial, have a slight red glow to them in certain lights. Moreover, in one of the scenes where Deckard and Rachael are in his flat, you can clearly see that Deckard's eyes have the same pinkish hue, which is further evidence to suggest that he's a replicant:

BJ4K6.jpg

I couldn't see any hints at Rachael's ability to reproduce, however; the only way Tyrell suggests she's special is the fact that she has memories (or memory implants) and it takes Deckard a lot more questions than usual on the VK test to determine she's a replicant. Tyrell says she's "an experiment. Nothing more." This suggests to me that the possibility of her having a child was never thought of by Francher and Peoples, the screenwriters of the original film, and was only introduced retrospectively by the writers of 2049.

I also don't really understand the "Deckard is an arsehole" argument that lots of people have mentioned more recently. I think his behaviour in the sex scene is very questionable in a modern context, but would have been considered "sexy" in 1982, yet apart from that he just comes across as a laconic detective who has been dragged out of retirement for one last job - a film noir cliche in many ways. Although it's never stated, he seems to have some sort of epiphany at the end when Batty dies in front of him and he realises not all replicants are bad people, and this would appear to be supported by the fact that, between BR and the events of 2049, he corroborates with a number of replicants (Sapper, Fresia, Rachael, obviously). Furthermore, he decides not to give in to Wallace, who ultimately wants to enslave more replicants by having them reproduce, even when bribed, suggesting he does have morals. Moreover, his love for Rachael prevents him from doing his job - which is to retire her - and instead he takes her to a place of safety so she won't be killed by another blade runner, which is outside of his own interests.

• Upvote 2

Spoiler

Arsehole as in he is of this dystopian world, more so in retrospect his treatment of replicants I feel actually has more impact these days than it did back when films where showing robots to be evil killing machines rather than a new form of life. He needs to be an arsehole in order to have that epiphany, redemption, arc. 

• Upvote 1

What, every time he filmed the replicants and the replicants alone .. .he got the lighting wrong. oh and Deckard, randomly.

:huh:

I always assumed that's why Deckard was seen as a replicant. In fact i never made the connection of the unicorn dream. 

I always thought the pinkeye was a way bigger indication he was a Replicant than the origami but the whole thing’s got out of hand with what was intended or not.

I can’t find the source but I read an article years ago with either Ridley Scott or the DP stating that the Deckard pinkeye shot was accidental. It was meant to indicate a synthetic, but it showing up in that one scene was accidental. 

Ridley Scott has stated several times that Deckard is a replicant.

Harrison Ford has said he was told and always thought Deckard was human during shooting.

The whole origami unicorn thing clearly implies he’s a Replicant.

The story has more resonance if he’s human.

At this point it’s all so convoluted, it’s become a point of contention and discussion among fans with no possible definitive answer.

At the end of the first film he realises that if he’s human or not is irrelevant. And that’s who he is in 2049. He knows it’s what you do that matters, not what you are.

Spoiler

Exactly the same as with K. Is he the twin, is he a decoy, is he a random nexus 9? It makes no difference and it doesn’t matter. In the end he makes a choice to do something that’s of incredible importance to someone. That’s all that matters. What you do to affect someone else’s life is of far more importance and value than some quest to find out where you’re from.

As Ian Brown (I think) said: ‘it’s not where you’re from, it’s where you’re at’.

Same as the spinning top in Inception. Doesn’t matter if it falls. That Cobb doesn’t care is the important thing.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, John Edward Gammell said:

Only on Samsung TVs, or have they sorted that?

Oh really? Had no idea that was the case. I do have a Sammy but didn’t realise it was exclusive. That’s just daft. 

What’s all this guff about replicants having glowing eyes? If that were the case, they could just shine a torch in your eye instead of asking difficult questions about turtles.

• Upvote 6