rllmuk
Floex

Halo 5: Guardians - Splitscreen inbound?

halo+5.jpg

Microsoft has announced Halo 5: Guardians for Xbox One and said that it will be released in autumn 2015.

Halo 5: Guardians is described as a "massive and exciting project" by Bonnie Ross, general manager of developer 343 Industries, who also described it as "the next instalment in the legendary saga of the Master Chief".

"Making a Halo game that runs at 60 frames per second, on dedicated servers, with the scope, features and scale we've been dreaming of for more than a decade, is non-trivial," Ross explained in a blog post on Xbox Wire.

"It's a task that we, at 343 Industries, are taking very seriously to ensure we deliver the Halo game that fans deserve, and a game that is built from the ground up for Xbox One."

"Halo 5: Guardians is a bigger effort than Halo 4," she continued. "That applies to the content and scope of the game, as well as the technology in what's now a brand new and more powerful engine.

"Certainly there are some core elements carried over from prior games, but we've invested a huge effort in retooling our tech to take full advantage of the Xbox One's hardware and ecosystem to create worlds and experiences worthy of next-gen.

"It's a game that will hopefully demonstrate the talent, learnings and abilities of the 343 Industries team.

"A game that will incorporate the things we learned from Halo 4 about technology, aesthetics, performance and scale - and perhaps more importantly, understanding and embracing a community of gamers who love what lies at the heart of this game, and the limitless potential of the Halo universe."

So that's Halo 5: Guardians, then, but Ross also spoke cryptically about the "journey" we're all about to go on. "That journey definitely begins in 2014 with a giant leap, rather than one small step," she wrote.

"We'll give you much more information about our plans for this year at the Xbox E3 2014 Media Briefing on June 9, and we're confident that Halo fans will be pretty excited [about] the special plans we have in store."

Whatever could it mean? Some sort of beta? Or perhaps Ross is talking about the Halo 2 Anniversary edition that has been rumoured over the last few months - after all, Halo 2 will be 10 years old this November.

It doesn't seem to be a reference to the TV series that was announced last year, though, because elsewhere in her post Ross makes explicit reference to that also being due in autumn 2015.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-16-microsoft-announces-halo-5-guardians-for-xbox-one

• Upvote 5

Yes yes yes, but will it be better with or without kinect?

Also, Masterchief is the most boring hero. They should take the opportunity of a new console to shake the story up a bit.

Why didn't they reveal this at E3? Whatever the reason, I'm now looking forward to the Microsoft conference even more if they're announcing stuff like this ahead of time.

As for the game itself: the current description doesn't make sound interesting at all - but then again, I've grown tired of Halo. We shall see if my disinterest holds up once they actually show something.

are there any big next gen games coming out this year?

Batman. If that doesn't get delayed. The Witcher 3 releases early 2015, that is sorta close to 2014. Edit: also Elite: Dangerous if you have a PC.

Sonic Boom

Smash Bros

Mario Kart 8

Bayonneta 2

Edit: The Witness

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 7

Hopefully the bullet sponge Promethean Knights have buggered off never to be seen again.

I doubt it. Apart from QTE's it's the one thing 343 managed to add to the existing Halo formula.

Exclusives? Well, we'll have to wait until E3 to know for sure, but it seems the One will get Forza Horizons 2, Halo Anniversary 2 and Sunset Overdrive for sure, Quantum Break for 2014 is uncertain at this point. PS4 exclusives, indies and remasters like The Last of Us aside, will be Driveclub and The Order.

Surprised they announced it before E3.

Hopefully the bullet sponge Promethean Knights have buggered off never to be seen again.

Not at all, everybody got bored of shooting bullet sponge Elites a long time ago!

Im also surprised they have announced this pre E3 but then again its not like it was a secret it was coming.

xbone needs all the help it can get right now.

apparently a Halo on the one is what will make all the naysayers buy one... in 2015.

or not.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

it's simple, april's sales figures were significantly lower than march in the US - they're losing momentum fast now that the hardcore public has already bought their XO.

How to stem the tide? drop Kinect & announce this ASAP in an official way.

Smells like a panicky decision to announce this early.

Not at all, everybody got bored of shooting bullet sponge Elites a long time ago!

Not me, I found the cat and mouse dynamic of the Elite fights in Reach a lot more exciting than the fights in Halo 4. That game felt like a step back for me, apart from the stunning graphics.

But this seems to be given some time in the oven, so perhaps it'll result in a better game. I still think Halo does combat better than pretty much any other FPS out there.

343 did nail the graphics not only in terms of visual fidelity but art direction as well. One can assume they will maintain a focus on high production values for what should be a flagship game for MS moving into the very important year 3 of Xbox One's existence.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

343 did nail the graphics not only in terms of visual fidelity but art direction as well. One can assume they will maintain a focus on high production values for what should be a flagship game for MS moving into the very important year 3.

And Neil Davidge nailed the music, I hope they get him back.

• Upvote 1

If this comes out and it's rubbish, I'm using this thread to register my 'Halo was killed by The Guardians' joke ahead of time.

• Upvote 9

What's the point of an anniversary version of the most reviled game in the series? It's not the power of Xbox One is going to improve the game.

343 did nail the graphics not only in terms of visual fidelity but art direction as well. One can assume they will maintain a focus on high production values for what should be a flagship game for MS moving into the very important year 3 of Xbox One's existence.

Yet it still managed to be the only game in the series I couldn't be bothered to complete. Just didn't grab me for some reason.

Think its definitely a case of series fatigue.

• Upvote 1

I liked the start when it was back to the exploring a mysterious alien location vibe with some great sci-fi novel cover style vistas, then they introduced the shitty new enemies and the storyline took a sudden turn into tedious lore wank that's apprently linked to the tie-in books and the experience soured.

• Upvote 2

For all that, it did have one the best levels of the entire series - The Composer I think it was called. The one aboard the UNSC science station in the ruins of the first Halo ring. It was just utterly immense.

What's the point of an anniversary version of the most reviled game in the series? It's not the power of Xbox One is going to improve the game.

Maybe it'll be the Kinect and The Cloud that does!

I liked the start when it was back to the exploring a mysterious alien location vibe with some great sci-fi novel cover style vistas, then they introduced the shitty new enemies and the storyline took a sudden turn into tedious lore wank that's apprently linked to the tie-in books and the experience soured.

Exactly my experience, I couldn't bring myself to go much further.

Why didn't they reveal this at E3?

Well, they haven't really revealed anything. If you think about it this is an entirely expected delay hidden behind the announcement of a subtitle; we've known it was 60fps since last E3, and naturally it was going to use Azure.

One of the most WTF things about Halo 4 was the casual reveal that maknind apparently used to have a massive galactic empire and were at war with the Forerunners.

That was actually something they fished out of the deep pre-history of Halo - judging from some of the more obscure pre-release, pre-Xbox, promotional material for Halo, the game was originally supposed to involve that kind of re-discovery of ancient human colonies. So in a way, it's not so bad, in that it is based on Bungie's own material, but yeah, it sits really strangely with the rest of the universe.