Jump to content

SUPERHOT - one to watch and now a reality


shadowmask
 Share

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Mike S said:

 

What is the acceptable number of people to take the piss as I don't want to be the straw that breaks the camel's back and forces the closure of this loophole?

 

Serious question, in buying the game from the publishers/developers (albeit through nuveem) am I still paying Valve the additional 100% that they would take for selling a game through their store (a rate quoted by the Bradigor developers linked to above)

 

I have zero qualms about buying a game in another country, same as I have none about using a VPN to watch Netflix content from other regions. I pay for absolutely all my entertainment, every piece of music/movie/etc, despite knowing that a lot of that content could be found online at zero cost to me so I have a perfectly clear conscience when it comes to the media I consume as I pay the artist every single time. So the moral hand wringing displayed on all feels a bit much but, you know, if you want to be silly, I could claim the moral high ground in that my purchase will feed a (very) small amount of money into the economy of a poorer country rather than the coffers of Steam here in the UK/US/wherever the sales money would go.

 

I AM ROBIN HOOD.

 

Valve earn fuckall (which is their choice) when you buy a key from a different legal reseller, however much the developer earns depends on how much they sold the key for in the first place, assuming it was a direct transaction between them and the key reseller. Valve charge 30% for direct sales.

 

Buying from a poor country means you mainly shafted the developer really, as you could have chosen to pay them the price they wanted to charge you in your native country, but you prefer to take advantage of a pricing difference meant for poorer South Americans. It's like some people's view on taxation and how agressive you should be in minimising it.

 

Physical games can be bought for lower prices from poorer countries too, but funnily enough less people take advantage of that personally (not withstanding some comment about CDKeys anyway) as the hassle and postage negate the pricing advantages, even if you could find a supplier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, mushashi said:

 

Valve earn fuckall (which is their choice) when you buy a key from a different legal reseller, however much the developer earns depends on how much they sold the key for in the first place, assuming it was a direct transaction between them and the key reseller. Valve charge 30% for direct sales.

 

Buying from a poor country means you mainly shafted the developer really, as you could have chosen to pay them the price they wanted to charge you in your native country, but you prefer to take advantage of a pricing difference meant for poorer South Americans. It's like some people's view on taxation and how agressive you should be in minimising it.

 

Physical games can be bought for lower prices from poorer countries too, but funnily enough less people take advantage of that personally (not withstanding some comment about CDKeys anyway) as the hassle and postage negate the pricing advantages, even if you could find a supplier.

 

I see, you think it probably seems more like a challenge because it's in slow motion? Fair enough. Do you not think it'd be better if the full speed was faster though anyway?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, b00dles said:

Well I've now got a good impression about the purchase habits of a few of the forumites but what's the game like? ;)

 

Fantastic. The core mechanic is well explored for a first game from a small dev, new aspects are introduced to the mechanic at a nice pace so it never feels too repetitive as it could easily have been. A big part of this is down to the 'story' and what it's doing between missions, don't want to go into it incase of spoiling but the short length of the game I think is what helps it constantly be weird in interesting ways. 

 

It also has that SuperMeatboy thing going on, not sure what it's called? It's where you die, learn how to progress a bit, die, progress more and so on. Of course it's all rapid and you start to become faster and faster at doing early parts of the level which is all helped by instant restarts. Many levels are like this, where you just learn what the level is about and it's rules. Not that every level can only be played one way.

 

I love it and can't wait to get home to play it to the end.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Main campaign is done. The last level is really quite hard. Took me something like 20 retries.

 

Not so keen on the challenge missions so far. They're generally main missions with restrictions on them, like Katana only and stuff like that. I can see why some people on Steam are a bit miffed, if they're not interested in that stuff. I'll probably dip in and out of it, but can't see myself spending much more time with it.

 

Also, if you hold down space bar you jump in slow motion. Makes life a lot easier.

 

The game needs a level editor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, mushashi said:

 

Valve earn fuckall (which is their choice) when you buy a key from a different legal reseller, however much the developer earns depends on how much they sold the key for in the first place, assuming it was a direct transaction between them and the key reseller. Valve charge 30% for direct sales.

 

Buying from a poor country means you mainly shafted the developer really, as you could have chosen to pay them the price they wanted to charge you in your native country, but you prefer to take advantage of a pricing difference meant for poorer South Americans. It's like some people's view on taxation and how agressive you should be in minimising it.

 

Physical games can be bought for lower prices from poorer countries too, but funnily enough less people take advantage of that personally (not withstanding some comment about CDKeys anyway) as the hassle and postage negate the pricing advantages, even if you could find a supplier.

 

Yes, I do prefer to take advantage of a global economy in order to obtain goods cheaper than I can locally and, as such, have imported CD's, DVD's. and Blu Rays from other countries for years. How the value/cost of items within 'The West' is determined is pretty complex and it's not based exclusively on the poor/rich scenario you mention. For example,we are all familiar with the frequent dollar for pound translation of goods from the US to the UK which leaves the UK paying a considerable amount for more an item than a citizen from a country of a similar economic stature. 

 

Of course, I could choose to pay the developer a modest percentage more by taking an extra tenner out of my pocket, whilst adding 30% of the total spend to Valve, but I'd rather not as I'm not especially wealthy and thus welcome the rare opportunity to save a quid or two. Over the years I have poured way more money than is healthy into the various entertainment industries in order to fund new artists/developers/coke habits/whatever so, as I've said, I've absolutely no qualms about looking after myslef (and the Brazilian economy!) for a change.

 

I'm sure the developers of Superhot will do just fine as it's a striking and original take on the puzzle genre and will surely sell very well even without the assumption that the  huge percentage of the sales will be profit given that the game development had already been kickstarter funded. 

 

That's enough on the subject from me, apologies for keeping the thread off the rails. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh dear. Each of the challenge variants is the exact same 25 levels with a different modifier. You have to play through 5 of each type to unlock the next one, and then within each one you can't play any level, you have to play through them in order to unlock each level.

 

Bad decision and the 5 variants I could be bothered to unlock aren't very interesting. I'll give Endless a go later but I think I'm done with this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Wroth said:

 

The problem with that guy's post is that he has no right to expect me to care in the same way that I don't expect him to care what I get paid. If I work in McDonalds and he comes in to buy a burger he wouldn't expect me to ask him to pay a bit more as otherwise I only get minimum wage. He expects to pay the going rate which is whatever the market will bear. Now of course he has the right to charge whatever he likes for his game and it might be amazing and worth twice that but, as he states, it's up to me if I want to pay that for it. He says so himself so I don't know why he's complaining. He's clearly done the numbers and knows what to expect so if he wants more money he shouldn't be doing this in the same way that if I want more money I might look at moving away from my fictional McDonalds job.

 

It's a horrible reality and I hate to be saying it as I'm actually on the other side of the argument 'morally' or however you might word it, but I am realistic enough to know that it's idealism and not going to happen. If you can get it cheaper, most people will and kudos to those with principles who want to support their hobby and all of that, it's genuinely admirable, but the cold reality is that the world doesn't give a fuck. Maybe I'm just a cynic but it makes me genuinely a bit angry when people seem to think they have a right to complain when people won't buy their stuff from them at the price they want for it. It's absolutely their right to decide that price but you don't get to moan if I don't want to pay it or would prefer to wait. Imagine I put a game in the Trading folder but instead someone decides to buy it for a pound less in Game and I then start kicking off that they didn't buy it from me and support my lifestyle of typing bullshit on internet forums?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Finished it last night, kinda wish I just played it one one go as I just had a 30min session so it felt a bit underwhelming but it was amusing right to the end. 

 

It's The Most Innovative Shooter I've Seen In Years

 

 

 

I don't see it as a shooter, it's much more a puzzle game if played as intended..

 

It's disappointingly light in terms of content though and never as challenging as I hoped it would become so, after the fuss about my ripping off developers by only pay £7 for it, I actually think that is about fair in terms of value for money..

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't played it much, but it seems fantastic so far - this must be what it's like to be The Punisher when a gunfight kicks off. I love the minimalist style, like the way that everything from car tyres to glass is made of the same concrete texture. 

 

It's so brutal. I can see the John Wick move where you grab someone's gun and shoot them them in the top of the dome getting a bit dull with repetition, but for now it's a naughty thrill every time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really didn't like the 'story' bit between levels, not the text flashing onto the screen. Both were very irritating..

 

A level editor would be brilliant though as the basic gameplay is good and I can imagine some very challenging scenarios being developed..

 

 

22 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

This vid sold it to me. (Or rather will sell it once I have the dosh to buy it.

 

 

 

Buy it from Brazil.

 

It's only £7.

 

:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Apparently it's about £13 from Greenman Gaming if you use the code FEBURY-SVINGS-20PERC

 

Glad to see I'm not the only one who didn't like the story. There's actually quite a lot of pointless padding to it's 2 hours.

 

And the scenarios never really reach their true potential, I thought. There's some great stuff with moving vehicles but I don't think it's ever used to maximum effect. Imagine fighting in the middle of a highway with cars coming at you, or jumping between lorries, etc.

 

Really needs a competent level editor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Apparently it's about £13 from Greenman Gaming if you use the code FEBURY-SVINGS-20PERC

 

Glad to see I'm not the only one who didn't like the story. There's actually quite a lot of pointless padding to it's 2 hours.

 

And the scenarios never really reach their true potential, I thought. There's some great stuff with moving vehicles but I don't think it's ever used to maximum effect. Imagine fighting in the middle of a highway with cars coming at you, or jumping between lorries, etc.

 

Really needs a competent level editor.

 

 

Yeah, the story was pointless and distracting noise. Not being able to click straight through to the next level was frustrating.

 

In hindsight the gameplay mechanic is a brilliant idea but the designers just never made the most of it. It's more like a proof of concept rather than a final product and, as such, I would find it pretty hard to recommend at the full steam price. It's just too brief and there is so little challenge (in the main game at least, I've not started on the challenges/endless mode yet).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is there any way to make it stop saying SUPER

 

HOT

 

SUPER

 

HOT

 

SUPER

 

Because other than that this is a smart and fun game, but that's annoying enough to put me off playing.  As grumpy as that sounds, I guess I could mute the whole thing, it's not a particularly sound-important game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sort of. Once a replay starts you can hit F5 to switch to editing mode, which by default just loops the video as it was already doing without the SUPER HOT voice and text.

 

EDIT: Actually are you playing the game, or just considering it? It only does the SUPER HOT thing during the replays after you finish each level, which is annoying, but easily avoided with the F5 thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think there's anything about this I don't love so far. It's properly amazing - it reminds me of that old Frank Miller comic, Hard Boiled, in the way that it dispenses with absolutely everything apart from a smattering of social commentary, brutal violence and a headfucking cyberpunk plot. There's no backstory, there's no lore - it's all just implied through the freaky, DOS-gone-wrong interface and the brief flashes of the world you see in-between smoking dozens of guys.

 

It's just so focused and pure, I love it. It's the game equivalent of an Aphex Twin track that's two minutes long, but nonetheless feels like someone's pulling your spine out of your mouth. It's like the fight sequence pre-vis for the Raid 2, before they ruined it by putting all that plot nonsense in.

 

The only down side so far is that it's crashed a couple of times, but that's as likely to be my Mac as the game itself. It's worth the asking price and more, it's as much as a trip to a posh cinema, and fifty times as thrilling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, K said:

I don't think there's anything about this I don't love so far. It's properly amazing - it reminds me of that old Frank Miller comic, Hard Boiled, in the way that it dispenses with absolutely everything apart from a smattering of social commentary, brutal violence and a headfucking cyberpunk plot. There's no backstory, there's no lore - it's all just implied through the freaky, DOS-gone-wrong interface and the brief flashes of the world you see in-between smoking dozens of guys.

 

It's just so focused and pure, I love it.

 

I thought all that "freaky" stuff was all incredibly try-hard and unfocused. :lol: And I saw that ending coming from a mile away.

 

A lot of people seem to like it, though. I found it all so played out, but can't really point to anything that's done that stuff before. Hotline Miami, sort of, with the trippy interludes?

 

Ending spoiler:

 

Spoiler

tYPlmGu.png

 

Original:

 

xWD6dIl.png

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a lot of fun but the framing 'story' is tedious as fuck and increasingly gets in the way towards the end of the 'campaign' or whatever you want to call it. Shame, because the aesthetics of the framing stuff are spot-on, it's just not doing anything interesting with them.

 

Endless Mode is good though. That's basically the meat of the game, I think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Mogster said:

Sort of. Once a replay starts you can hit F5 to switch to editing mode, which by default just loops the video as it was already doing without the SUPER HOT voice and text.

 

EDIT: Actually are you playing the game, or just considering it? It only does the SUPER HOT thing during the replays after you finish each level, which is annoying, but easily avoided with the F5 thing.

 

I'm playing it, on the strength of this thread I went and bought it.  I've only played about 30 mins though.  I'm finding the controls confusing, I swear what they say something is isn't what it actually was.  I'm on a Steam controller (yes I double checked the bindings) so maybe it's the fact that the game thinks I'm using a mouse one minute and then a pad - when I'm using both, technically.

 

The weird thing about this game is it's marketed to make you feel like some sort of super action hero, and it looks like fast paced action with occasional slow-mo bullet time. 

 

The reality (as everyone here knows) is it's actually quite a relaxing sort of puzzle game, and I feel like I spend 80% of the game in slow mo, or moving slowly, I hardly ever push the directional stick all the way because that invariably gets me killed.  So it's not really clear until you actually play the game that you're usually in a paused / extreme slow mo state.  As I say, relaxing, rather than action.

 

So the SUPER-HOT-SUPER-HOT-SUPER bullshit is just a bit at odds with that, and I find it really jarring when it happens as it takes me away from the previous zen state.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Rudi von Starnberg said:

This is a lot of fun but the framing 'story' is tedious as fuck and increasingly gets in the way towards the end of the 'campaign' or whatever you want to call it. Shame, because the aesthetics of the framing stuff are spot-on, it's just not doing anything interesting with them.

 

Endless Mode is good though. That's basically the meat of the game, I think.

 

I really liked the framing stuff. Some of the "WE ARE WATCHING YOU" stuff is a bit Reddit, but I loved all the weird ascii FPS stuff, and the switches between the super-intense puzzle FPS bits and the story framework gave it a bit of structure and breathing space - I found the levels so full-on that the interstitial bits were a nice change of pace. 

 

The actual story did one of my favourite things in fiction - suggested that the plot we see is just one tiny part of something enormous. This took that concept to the extreme, but it was no less effective than that from my perspective. Somewhere out there in the game's world, there's a really cliched story along the lines of Syndicate, about the warring agents of various megacorporations or ancient secret societies, but the way it was hinted at rather than told made it feel pretty fresh. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, K said:

 

I really liked the framing stuff. Some of the "WE ARE WATCHING YOU" stuff is a bit Reddit, but I loved all the weird ascii FPS stuff, and the switches between the super-intense puzzle FPS bits and the story framework gave it a bit of structure and breathing space - I found the levels so full-on that the interstitial bits were a nice change of pace. 

 

The actual story did one of my favourite things in fiction - suggested that the plot we see is just one tiny part of something enormous. This took that concept to the extreme, but it was no less effective than that from my perspective. Somewhere out there in the game's world, there's a really cliched story along the lines of Syndicate, about the warring agents of various megacorporations or ancient secret societies, but the way it was hinted at rather than told made it feel pretty fresh. 

 

It felt very, very similar to the wanky stuff in Hotline Miami to me, and that bored me just as much really. I do love the aesthetics of the fake OS and the way they play with older-looking graphics and so on, but everything holding that together? Nah, not interested.

 

Having fun with Endless Mode. Much more of what I want.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.