Far Cry 4 | Nov 18th | PS3/4, Xbox 360, Xbone & PC

Again, GTA5, highest selling game of all time and the ai in it is actually pretty solidly difficult.

I'm not sure you can draw a line between difficulty and sales in that case.

I would say that ubisoft do seem to like games to be heavily streamlined though. What about the AC series and its 'hold X to do improbable parkour'?

Excitement has started to wane after a few hours play tonight. It's a beautiful game but my concerns about the familiarity are gaining ground. Will be interested to see if those who responded that Far Cry 3.5 sounded great still think so after seven or so hours into this.

Far Cry 3's story was rubbish if you get offended at American yoof stereotyping similar to every US sitcom/ teen show ever, but the story had some interesting twists with drug experiences and became a full on 80s action movie spectacular in the 2nd half.

I've played much worse games built around a story that didn't suit the gameplay mechanics.

No bugs encountered on XBO yet.

I'm about 10hrs in and the story hasn't even really effected anything far as I can tell. The main protagonist is actually quite likeable thus far...and while I've heard lots of the badguy being mentioned, I ain't actually seen him since the prologue.

Saying that, I've mostly been buzzing from bell tower to bell tower, taking in the gorgeous mountain-top temple views (the locations really scratch that missing Uncharted itch I've had), getting caught up in lil karma-boosting jobbies and dying ALOT but already it's scrapping with MK8/Titanfall for my GOTY spot.

Re the AI, they're not smart but they are fucking vicious.

Also HONEY BADGERS, eagles and snakes can FUCK OFF

Also HONEY BADGERS, eagles and snakes can FUCK OFF

Amen!

I've only noticed two slight bugs so far, an enemy leaping 30 feet in the air after being shot with an arrow and an NPC going through a skinning animation with the dead animal three feet behind him. That's from twelve plus hours on PS4.

It's a lot of fun though, some of the vistas are beautiful.

Haven't watched anything of this since the first trailer came out. Quick question, is there still a traditional bow as opposed to the new crossbow that I saw in that first trailer?

There is indeed. It's best to pretend the auto-crossbow doesn't exist, just like I did with the Fatman Launcher in Fallout 3, as it makes a mockery of stealth gameplay.

Well, I'm still into this. Gave it a few more hours today. The Shangri-La stuff is lovely and a nice change of pace. Gameplay swings from being 'eh, this again' to 'that was amazing!' much like Far Cry 3 did, with the worst moments being when you become obsessed with getting a certain weapon/upgrade and end up joylessly farming convoys/animals. Taken as an atmospheric experience though, with an occasional nibbling at main and side quests, it's largely quite enjoyable. I just find Ubisoft's 'heap of map shit' frustrating because an element of my ADHD means that I can end up hyper-focusing on one thing until its done, regardless of how tiresome the experience, so there are a lot of holes in their games for me to get trapped in.

Though I'm sure P.C gamers will smugly announce that we've just caught up to their Far Cry 3 experience, FC4 really does look fantastic. Loads of little touches from flags blowing in the wind to the grass ruffling when you land in a gyrocopter. There's very rare pop-in and the framerate drops sliiiiiiiiightly when things get really intense, but these are both negligible.

No bugs encountered on XBO yet.

I'm about 10hrs in and the story hasn't even really effected anything far as I can tell. The main protagonist is actually quite likeable thus far...and while I've heard lots of the badguy being mentioned, I ain't actually seen him since the prologue.

I also like how

the locals arent total arseholes like in FC3

How is the story? I played a little of Far Cry 3, but I lost enthusiasm after seeing lots of criticism that the main story and missions were rubbish - is this an improvement or more of the same?

The main story and missions of FC3 weren't great, but they're about 15% of the game. Exploration, assassinations and clearing out strongholds is the bulk of the fun.