IGNORED

Far Cry 4 | Nov 18th | PS3/4, Xbox 360, Xbone & PC

Comrade

Surprising no one, apparently Far Cry 4 is in the works, and is due early 2015. Perhaps surprising some, it will be set in the Himalayas, and will include rideable elephants, and possibly Yetis:

Far Cry 4 will be released in the first half of 2015 and be set around the snowy mountain ranges of the Himalayas, Eurogamer can confirm.

The switch in location marks a drastic change for the adventure series, which is usually more associated with sandy, tropical locales. But it will also pave the way for some new features - such as the ability to saddle up and ride elephants, people familiar with the project told Eurogamer.
Far Cry 4 is still some way away, but we understand that Ubisoft is currently aiming to release it during the next financial year (before the end of March 2015).
Our first official glimpse at Far Cry 4 will come much sooner, however - the title is set to be shown off in some form during Ubisoft's annual press conference at E3 in June, one source said. Expect PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions. We're unsure at this stage whether current-gen versions are also in the works.
A setting based around the Himalayas was first hinted at on Twitter last month by tipster Superannuation, who also suggested it would include some kind of monsters.
Far Cry 4's gameplay will remain similar to that in Far Cry 3 - presumably including a large focus on hunting local fauna. The world's map will be structured in a familiar fashion too, a separate source said, with outposts for you to liberate.
Far Cry 3 launched in November 2012 and was followed by the excellent retro spin-off Blood Dragon around six months later - suggesting that, when finished, Far Cry 4 will have had around two years of development time.
Ubisoft's E3 2014 press conference will also host other surprises - the publisher is apparently looking to build on the positive reception of reveals such as Watch Dogs at E3 2012 and Tom Clancy's The Division last year.
The Division will be shown off again, of course, alongside other likely attendees such as upcoming open world racer The Crew and the recently-leaked Assassin's Creed 5: Unity.
Ubisoft declined to comment when contacted by Eurogamer.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-03-20-far-cry-4-set-in-the-himalayas-has-ridable-elephants

If it can rein in the overdose of information, and bring back the tension of the second game, it'll be onto a winner. For all its faults, Far Cry 3 is still one of the best games of its generation. It was little design choices that let it down, rather than any mechanical shortcomings.

I hope the Himalayas filled with loads and loads of asinine collectables that display how many more you've got to get each time you pick one up.

Yeah they can definitely ditch that stuff and the busy Hud notifications.

But as already noted FC3 was a very good game all told.

I really hope this is just for P.C, PS4, and XBone. Then again, I can't see Ubisoft skipping 360 and PS3 even a year from now.

But they've already announced 2 what were at the time Next-Gen only games before either current gen console launched already, and have now added a 3rd current gen only game. Last gen is getting dropped quicker than before now, the dramatic fall off in sales of last gen software isn't helping the business case for keeping them in the mix either, EA and Take-Two have also announced current gen only titles for release this year.

For anybody complaining about the crappy technical performance of the last game, a PC version without the technical failings exists, you don't even have to give up the sofa or the X360/PS3/PS4 controller either.

There were some things that I didn't like about far cry 3 (framerate on 360, but that is my fault for not buying the proper version, typical ubi montreal overuse of boring cut and paste side quests) but it is a really great game, in no way describable as substandard.

I actually wouldnt mind the player being a bit heavier with weightier gunplay, kinda like fc2 but with properly tight responsive controls like fc3.

So, basically battlefield I guess.

FC3 was properly full on ninja speed really, which was fine but not something I'd want to see in every subsequent iteration. Gotta switch things up a bit now and then.

In what way was FC3 substandard? Apart from story, obviously, but who cares about that? If you play Far Cry for any reason other than outpost arse kicking you are playing the wrong game.

Substandard in that the quests were shit, the island boring, the economy broken, nothing interesting to do, the main character was annoying as fuck, story was utter shit and they got rid of many of the interesting things I loved about Far Cry 2. Far Cry 2 actually has less things to do than Far Cry 3 but it's a much more interesting and involving game for me. I still go back and play it and love it. Far Cry 3 was just a step down in most ways for me. They also toned down the immersion factor a great deal and that killed the game for me in many ways. The atmosphere is non existent in Far Cry 3, I didn't feel like a part of the world. Just a shitty character filling bars which has become a big Ubisoft thing. It's just another me too game in the staple of Ubisoft collectathons. Great bow though.

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon however was brilliant and put the Far Cry 3 experience into a much more fun and condensed experience. It takes the good things from Far Cry 3, has fun with the formula and makes a brilliant game out of them with its awesome, silly story/characters too. I would recommend Blood Dragon over FC3 anyday and it's something I'll replay too.

I prefer Blood Dragon as well. A much more likeable hero, better missions, shorter, no fall damage from the get go, a love letter to the eighties and the best soundtrack of 2013. Far Cry 3 has excellent mechanics in place but the story, characters and bloat weigh it down.

I hope FC4 improves upon those things, but the success of 4 probably means a very similar game in an admittedly cool sounding setting.

Substandard in that the quests were shit, the island boring, the economy broken, nothing interesting to do, the main character was annoying as fuck, story was utter shit and they got rid of many of the interesting things I loved about Far Cry 2. Far Cry 2 actually has less things to do than Far Cry 3 but it's a much more interesting and involving game for me. I still go back and play it and love it. Far Cry 3 was just a step down in most ways for me. They also toned down the immersion factor a great deal and that killed the game for me in many ways. The atmosphere is non existent in Far Cry 3, I didn't feel like a part of the world. Just a shitty character filling bars which has become a big Ubisoft thing. It's just another me too game in the staple of Ubisoft collectathons. Great bow though.

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon however was brilliant and put the Far Cry 3 experience into a much more fun and condensed experience. It takes the good things from Far Cry 3, has fun with the formula and makes a brilliant game out of them with its awesome, silly story/characters too. I would recommend Blood Dragon over FC3 anyday and it's something I'll replay too.

Nobody loves Far Cry 2 more than me, but Far Cry 3 was not how you describe it at all. Mainly because you have focussed on all the things about the game that anyone with any sense ignores. Those things account for about 5% of the game! What counts is the combat.

I couldn't tell you anything about the story, the quests, or the economy, or the bar filling of FC3, because I spent my time in it doing what I did in FC2 - taking down outposts, in a variety of delicious ways. They nailed that perfectly....and the only thing that is better in that regard about FC2 is the environment. If the baubles they dressed that experience up with aren't to your taste, you are choosing to look at it through a very strange lens indeed.

The fact is, if they ported the combat mechanics from FC3 directly into FC2, Far Cry 2 would be the perfect game. And it almost is anyway. Besides, it's pointless moaning about why things aren't as good as Far Cry 2. They made that game for purists, and we will never see the like on a console again. It made too many gamers cry.

Nobody loves Far Cry 2 more than me, but Far Cry 3 was not how you describe it at all. Mainly because you have focussed on all the things about the game that anyone with any sense ignores. Those things account for about 5% of the game! What counts is the combat.

I couldn't tell you anything about the story, the quests, or the economy, or the bar filling of FC3, because I spent my time in it doing what I did in FC2 - taking down outposts, in a variety of delicious ways. They nailed that perfectly....and the only thing that is better in that regard about FC2 is the environment. If the baubles they dressed that experience up with aren't to your taste, you are choosing to look at it through a very strange lens indeed.

The fact is, if they ported the combat mechanics from FC3 directly into FC2, Far Cry 2 would be the perfect game. And it almost is anyway. Besides, it's pointless moaning about why things aren't as good as Far Cry 2. They made that game for purists, and we will never see the like on a console again. It made too many gamers cry.

I don't know man, I honestly prefer the mechanics in FC2. I mean, I know where you're coming from - the bow, the knifing moves, how nimble Jason is etc but my love for Far Cry 2 comes from how vulnerable you can be. I find the gunfights more exciting because you just don't know if you're going to make it, even on normal. In FC2 every fight feels like a desperate fight for survival that you're lucky to make it through, even on normal difficulty. There's also that bit of adrenaline that comes from the way they try to immerse in say for example the buddy system. It's essentially just an extra life, but in the heat of battle you forget (or at least I do) and then you get shot and the screen goes black. *gunshots!* Your buddy gets you back up on your feet, you heal yourself and you manage to finish the fight. That fuckin woohooo moment, man I love that. You stick the mechanics of 3 in their and it isn't the same game. Don't get me wrong I would have liked maybe the weapons to handle a bit better in FC2 but that's it, noting really needs changed. The outposts aren't the only reason I love FC2 - it's the immersiveness, the environment, the very minor/subtle story, the openness of every mission, the diamond collecting etc. Just all them combining to one great game.

I know I know, I should just get over the fact that FC2 was a one off but that game's so fucking special to me and to see the series go the way it has just isn't for me. Fair play to anyone who enjoys the direction it's gone in, I know I'm a minority, but I don't really get on with it. The funny thing is, a good friend of mine felt the same which reaaaaally surprised me. He's the type of guy who doesn't really read games sites/forums but loved FC2. He got FC3 and turned it off due to boredom 3 - 4 hrs in and went back to FC2. There's just something about that game that when it sticks with people it REALLY sticks with them :D

Anyway, enough shite from me as I could talk about FC2 all day and I'll just derail this thread. Sorry! I will say though, give that Dylans mod for FC2 a shot sometime. It alters a few things, makes stealth a bit more viable and just makes the game a bit more fun.