Sunset Overdrive

Nespresso

Sunset_Overdrive_KeyArt_Vert_RGB_Final-4

By Insomniac Games

Official Site

Release Date: Fall 2014

ABOUT

Sunset Overdrive is an always changing, open-world game set in the not-so-distant future. A catastrophic event has left your city overrun by mutants. While the majority perish or transform, you flourish. It turns out your calling isn't picking up trash or serving food, it's mutant destruction. With an arsenal of kick-ass, overpowered weapons and a knack for traversing the city with hyper agility, it’s not the end of days for you. Your story is just beginning.

Polygon Article

VG24/7 Article

Eurogamer Article

IMAGES

SunsetOverdrive_online_roman_candle.jpg

SunsetOverdrive_herker.jpg

9.jpg

Sunset_Overdrive_forall_SunsetCity.jpg

Sunset_Overdrive_Herker_2.jpg

SunsetOverdrive_Captain_Ahab.jpg

VIDEOS

Gameplay Footage

Glad to see they were able to match the visuals of the initial unveil, which I thought looked amazing last year. Based on the footage shown though I do hope the speed of the game is more akin of Vanquish. Even thoug it looks a ton of fun to play it does seem like the player is moving rather slow.

Edge had my interest with those Tony Hawk, Jet Set Radio and Dreamcast comparisons, and now that I've read and seen more I'm pretty excited for it. Sounds like a ton of fun.

Won't sell me a Bone, but if they have more cool stuff on the way (Platinum game, you listening?) I might bite later this year when the thing is finally available over here.

Personally I was more interested by the gameplay description than the actual footage, as the traversal appears to lack a key ingredient common to the games the previews namecheck: momentum.

For me a primary appeal of Jet Set Radio or Mirror's Edge is the sense of 'flow' as you build speed like an invisible experiential combo meter, allowing you to string together ever more outlandish transitions. From what I've seen of Sunset Overdrive — which obviously isn't that much, so label this as concern rather than complaint — the traversal looks a bit mechanical, with the player switching from 'wallrun mode' to 'grind mode', both of which move at their own set speed and don't influence one another.

That might be fine for the game they're making, of course, but as the urban traversal was the part that interested me I'm naturally going to be critical of it.

EG preview is up:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-08-insomniacs-sunset-overdrive-is-a-shooter-that-plays-like-jet-set-radio

It's possible to move from one side of the city to the other without touching the ground, and this focus on high-velocity traversal more readily calls to mind the likes of Tony Hawk's, Jet Set Radio and the Prince of Persia series' than it does any third-person shooter counterpart. The clear visual language used to construct the city out of myriad grind-able edges level furniture promotes a sense of skill-based flow reminiscent of Roll7's 2D arcade skater, OlliOlli, only here the playground is an entire city that stretches into three-dimensional space.

Personally I was more interested by the gameplay description than the actual footage, as the traversal appears to lack a key ingredient common to the games the previews namecheck: momentum.

For me a primary appeal of Jet Set Radio or Mirror's Edge is the sense of 'flow' as you build speed like an invisible experiential combo meter, allowing you to string together ever more outlandish transitions. From what I've seen of Sunset Overdrive — which obviously isn't that much, so label this as concern rather than complaint — the traversal looks a bit mechanical, with the player switching from 'wallrun mode' to 'grind mode', both of which move at their own set speed and don't influence one another.

That might be fine for the game they're making, of course, but as the urban traversal was the part that interested me I'm naturally going to be critical of it.

You put it way more eloquently than I did but that's exactly what I was getting at with my "Needs to be more like Vanquish" comment haha.

You put it way more eloquently than I did but that's exactly what I was getting at with my "Needs to be more like Vanquish" comment haha.

They do cite being inspired by Vanquish in one of the previews, which is a good thing. More devs should be doing that.

One of the devs posting on NeoGaf says the game runs faster the that video shows; he states it was ripped from Game Informer by another site and isn't running at the right speed. More footage on Monday apparently.

He also says the main character is completely customisable even down to the voice which has been recorded as both male and female.

Looks good and reading the edge preview helped hype it up a bit, but the one thing I really don't like is the enemy designs, they seem like a really bad fit with the rest of the aesthetic. That kind of bio-deformed stuff doesn't seem to sit right with the environments.

heh, weird memories of Freaks from Crackdown 2 returning

Yep. Crackdown 2 instantly came to mind in terms of the gameplay shown. It looks really nice. Really vibrant and fresh, and the soundtrack already has something about it to. Feels like a modern Sega game.

With Insomniac's vibrant Xbox One exclusive shooter Sunset Overdrive well and truly back on the radar today, there's yet more news to share. This time, it's the unveiling of the exclusive Day One Edition, which bundles the game with an exclusive Fizzie oufit and a pair of special weapons.

Sunset Overdrive Day One Edition comes with "exclusive digital content that you won’t find anywhere else," according to the Xbox News Wire. Here's what you'll get:

"Nothin’ but the Hits" gun - An overcharged version of the High Fidelity gun that launches limited edition, priceless, multi-colored vinyls that do increased damage.

"It’s Me! Fizzie!" outfit - Fizzie is more popular than you because he has a great marketing budget. So, why not dress up as him and get in on some of that fame?

"Hardcore! Hammer" - You ponder buying the Day One Edition of “Sunset Overdrive.” A spot check reveals that if you do, you can equip a mighty hammer made from a bat and spiked dumb-bells. You buy the Day One Edition of “Sunset Overdrive.”

http://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-18061-Sunset-Overdrive-Day-One-Edition-Unveiled.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter