GameBoy Appreciation Thread

So tempted to get that GBA (although turns out the seller of that modded GBA isn't active?) but I think I'll wait till things settle down with this month, stupid Amiibos... oh and Master System II I just bought. Yeah. I have both GBA original and SP here, loved original more but the lack of backlight harms it. Still think it's one of best handheld in comfort wise.

Also on GBA games wise, Kuru Kuru Kururin is easily top favourites of GBA wise. I picked it up week or so after GBA launch in UK without thinking too much of it and it ended up being most played game on my GBA. Unlike stupid F-Zero Maximum Velocity... ugh...

I'm quite pleased with myself for finding the trimmer pot on my GBA SP and getting it to stop flickering and showing scanlines. Usually you don't need to adjust it unless you've replaced the screen but I guess 10 years of sitting in a drawer causes a but of drift.

• 2 weeks later...

It absolutely is. I'm having a whale of a time with this little machine. Without really trying, I seemed to have amassed a collection of a couple of dozen fantastic games already!

Every time I turn it on I'm blown away by the screen. Been enjoying some Advance Wars and Rebelstar over the past few days but it's probably Doom and its sequel that have surprised me the most. I pretty much love Doom on any format but didn't expect the GBA to be up to the job, but they're really good ports and play prefectly well despite the limitations of the hardware.

Anyway, I can now confirm I'm in the modded screen GBA crew :D I went and bought one form Ebay, with any luck it should be with me at the end of the week.

I was looking at what I had to play on it... so I thought I'd take some pics for you lot too:

2rn7was.jpg

8zlj6a.jpg

The Japanese titles are absolutely mint, to the point I couldn't work out which end I had opened them. The carts I later found stored in some plastic cases I had bought. I really like the Japanese artwork.

Those Japanese boxes are really nice. What are they, about half the size of our ones? I never understood why we got such large boxes for such small cartridges.

Yea half the size. I guess it was a legacy sizing thing from the original GB games boxes.

Don't. I'd love a GX4000.....

I remember seeing one once in real life many years ago. I'd like to try one out, I need to read up on it more, what games it had etc.

So I bought a modded GBA off eBay, first ever eBay purchase, it arrived promptly, was fully refurbed... then I notice a stuck pixel near the centre of the screen :facepalm::hmm:

The seller was decent and said he would swap it, he had four in stock, but it just means I've had to pack it back up, post it back and I've now got to wait for the replacement. Mario Kart and SMB3 looked glorious on it though at least, I'm looking forward to some GBA sessions soon.

• 5 years later...

I have a fair few gameboy games to sell on and some like Pokemon I know will have a battery, is it easy to replace these batteries or should I just list saying that battery may require replacement?

1 hour ago, gospvg said:

I have a fair few gameboy games to sell on and some like Pokemon I know will have a battery, is it easy to replace these batteries or should I just list saying that battery may require replacement?

Depends on the game so I'd just mention that in the listing, most people who buy these older carts expect it anyway and you are covered if you drop it in.

1 hour ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Which games by chance?

Quite a few. clearing out a box from the loft.

Pokemon Silver, Crystal, Emerald.

Wario Land 3, Turtles 2, Zelda Links Awakening DX & Mario Bros Deluxe.

Yeah, boxes are rarer than the machines, although that's a lovely machine.

Since we're here, I've been spending the furlough times dragging everything I own out and I finally reunited all my gameboys and one interloper.  All of these except the original Advance were bought new, the SP and GB Color on their respective release days.  All work just fine.  As of a week ago anyway.  Idiot for scale.

2020-09-07_10_44_58.jpg

• 1 month later...

Yeah, that and the form factor still makes them popular for indie devs now,  there's John Roo's Quest Arrest, which is also coming to Evercade recently and Asobi Tech (Who did a lot of dev when it was a current system) releasing a lovely looking Jetpac port this christmas.