rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Bojangle

Amplitude! PS4 - Out Now!

If it's any consolation to those being put off by the soundtrack, with the exception of Decode Me the first 8 tracks of the campaign are easily within the worst the game has to offer (not the actual worst though; that dubious honour goes to the song 'Crazy Ride' by Insomniac Games ). The last group of four, the bonus tracks and the quickplay only songs are generally much better.

They have made it a lot more difficult for the game by giving it such a narrow range of musical taste. It reminds a bit of the kind of music you used to find in Dance Dance Revolution; you're probably unlikely to ever have a sit down and listen to it outside of the game but they do grow on you. And remember, most of these are songs written specifically for the game and not existing tracks reconfigured to fit in with the format. I think some of the note placement (particularly on expert) are there to make a better game rather than a better song. Do Not Retreat and Concept are absolutely smoking, genuinely up there with some of the most fun tracks these games have ever produced, and that's as much down to what your fingers are doing than what your ears are hearing.

I found it to be quite the nostalgic experience actually, I played a load of Frequency but barely touched Amplitude for some reason. I was a bit worried about the tracklist but the small amount I've played so far I've found the tracks pretty replayable.

You get a real feeling of progression as you play it more, more tracks and power ups are unlocked and those sections that seem totally daunting at the start which gradually get easier as your coordination improves. It's lovely and smooth too with some nice effects when you finish a course or the whole track.

The online leaderboards (which Frequency didn't have) are a real incentive for just one more go to beat your rival's score.

I found it to be quite the nostalgic experience actually, I played a load of Frequency but barely touched Amplitude for some reason. I was a bit worried about the tracklist but the small amount I've played so far I've found the tracks pretty replayable.

You get a real feeling of progression as you play it more, more tracks and power ups are unlocked and those sections that seem totally daunting at the start which gradually get easier as your coordination improves. It's lovely and smooth too with some nice effects when you finish a course or the whole track.

The online leaderboards (which Frequency didn't have) are a real incentive for just one more go to beat your rival's score.

Except when your rivals are <name omitted but uses ;) too much > ( crap ;) ) and Jolly (far far too good).

I agree with Goldbricker. It looks lovely, I'm nostalgic, the long trigger throw hasn't caused me problems yet, online friends leaderboards are good. Jury's out on the music for me, time will tell. Right now I'm glad it's back.

I have to say I'm concerned about R2 travel once it gets a little more intense. I seem to remember someone else in the thread saying they replace that with a face button and it's something I'm considering doing (assuming you can).

Something else that came flooding back is when you're forced to switch from using one finger to move up and down pressing R1 and R2 to actively having two fingers on R1 and R2 the whole time so you can perform the faster actions as the difficulty goes up.

Mashing the face buttons on an arcade stick would seem like the perfect solution... if only I had one to try it.

I remember having to switch to Square, Triangle and Circle for those tricky sections on the PS2, with the pad held firmly between my knees, and madly flapping at the left analogue stick to change tracks.

I'm firmly in the "loving this, glad it's back" camp. It could certainly benefit for some more diverse music in the soundtrack, but it's nowhere near a deal breaker for me at the moment.

Holy shit, it's quite heartening to find I'm ranked top 3% or higher on some tracks, figured it being so long since I played any kind of rhythm action game would see me scrabbling around at the 50% mark at best. Still early days, etc.

Anyone else noticed that as well as the auto lane skipping, they've also changed the way you pick up power ups? If the next phase contains a multiplier or something you still get it even though you didn't actually hit that phase of notes.

Not sure what to make of that if I'm honest. I like the lane skipping, but I've probably lost as many stored multiplers as I've gained with this other thing.

Anyone else noticed that as well as the auto lane skipping, they've also changed the way you pick up power ups? If the next phase contains a multiplier or something you still get it even though you didn't actually hit that phase of notes.

Not sure what to make of that if I'm honest. I like the lane skipping, but I've probably lost as many stored multiplers as I've gained with this other thing.

It really puts the pressure on to use them in the middle of the most awkward of moments, certainly.

What are you doing with Flows? I'm torn between saving them for a fuck up or using them at the transition sections where there's nothing else happening for a couple of bars.

It really puts the pressure on to use them in the middle of the most awkward of moments, certainly.

What are you doing with Flows? I'm torn between saving them for a fuck up or using them at the transition sections where there's nothing else happening for a couple of bars.

Just using them for fuck ups at the moment. I'm also fairly certain that the frequency (arf!) at which power ups are available has been dialed down a bit, although I'm basing that on nothing but gut feeling.

I think it's more likely where you start. If you choose the default track and proceed right all the time, you might not see a goddamn thing for ages but if you go right to left, or start elsewhere, you start seeing power ups where you'll have been missing them normally. It's all experimentation, innit? I seem to recall getting a ludicrous score on Cherry Lips back in the day that was only possible by doing nothing for at least the first bar of the song.

It's hilarious, I can't even unlock Super because the barrier song at the end of section two is just too much for me. That frickin' synth line is like Roni Size after gamma bomb exposure.

So I'm a "face buttons" player, but I just realised that my Hori Fightpad might be better suited to the three-lane setup:

gzTJqNk.jpg

It looks like there's a control config called "left dominant seek" which places the three lanes across the top three face buttons, with the item deployment on X, so I'll see how that works out :D

EDIT: It also has four shoulder buttons and no triggers, so it might be useful when I continue experimenting with shoulders...

I think it's more likely where you start. If you choose the default track and proceed right all the time, you might not see a goddamn thing for ages but if you go right to left, or start elsewhere, you start seeing power ups where you'll have been missing them normally. It's all experimentation, innit? I seem to recall getting a ludicrous score on Cherry Lips back in the day that was only possible by doing nothing for at least the first bar of the song.

It's hilarious, I can't even unlock Super because the barrier song at the end of section two is just too much for me. That frickin' synth line is like Roni Size after gamma bomb exposure.

I'm not sure that's the case. I tend to start on vocals as they have less notes so I'm hitting drums/synths on x4. Anyway, it might just all be in my head!

I haven't unlocked Super yet either. It's a bastard, but it's a nice bastard.

Astrosight. Fuck Astrosight. The worst part is I kind of like it but there's a point about 1/3 in on Expert where it just turns into a Fuck You synth line at a speed I'm never going to come close to coping with. I can't beat it on campaign and any score attempts on Expert break down too often to be worth seeing through to the end.

The Skullgirls track, on the other hand, is totes my jam. Got more enjoyment from that song in this that the whole of the actual fighting game.

• Upvote 1

Haha! Yeah, that's the bugger that's slipping me up too. I've now managed to get 9 bars twice in section two of the campaign. I actually think section 3 won't be too much of an issue, but I.C.U and Astrosight hold some kind of weird power over me.

I've just streamed some play, the first time I ever felt competent enough at a game to give it a whirl, and as predicted the extra pressure of having TWO WHOLE REAL LIFE PEOPLE watching me turned my hands into jellyfish. I might give it another go tomorrow night.

If anyone is still wanting a code for this, I'm selling mine for £10 as I don't own a PS4 any more. Just send us a PM. :)

Arg, I finally beat Astrosight on Expert campaign then breezed through the remaining tracks but because I didn't score high enough to unlock the bonus songs, Super remains locked. From what Declan says, Super is just Expert with no health restore and multipliers are the only power ups available. That's great for certain songs I have on lockdown already but the bastard fast ones ain't ever getting better because I can barely survive them without a flow/sedate/clean on the evil synth lines.

'Lights' is so good, I could just play that forever, it's gauged just right. 'Unfinished Business' also, I need more jazzy 40s cop theme numbers.

'Lights' is so good, I could just play that forever, it's gauged just right. 'Unfinished Business' also, I need more jazzy 40s cop theme numbers.

Yes! I played Lights for the first time last night, and it's just perfect for my skill level on expert. You just KNOW you can zero-fault it, but can never quite manage it (yet) so keep playing it over and over.

Still got a bunch of tracks I've never played. Only then will I start trying to nail each and every one. This thing is going to last me years.

Had my kids playing it on Beginner on Sunday morning. They were veering between bouncing around loving it and having massive strops when they messed up. So just like me, then. My daughter also found a way to move across empty tracks one at a time, old school stylee. I think she was maybe using the right analogue stick, but can't be sure because that's just too wrong to try.

From what I've played so far, the non-campaign tracks seem a lot better than most of the campaign ones. For those that weren't enjoying the music, it's well worth going back and playing some of the Quick Play tracks to see if you find something you like. It's a cracking game.

• Upvote 1

As much as it pains me to say it, despite adoring Frequency and the original Amplitude I'm really struggling to get into this version.

Just feel the track selection (or should I say experimental album) isn't for me. It's a bit too abstract and simply doesn't grab me like the previous games did.

This coupled with the unresponsive R2 trigger on default controls, and a real lack of audio impact when completing a track segment just leaves me disappointed.

I still plan on giving it time and who knows it may grow on me. But for now I'm quite underwhelmed by it all.

As a Rhythm game I was much more impressed with Aareo, a lovely Rez inspired game that's hopefully out in the next few months.

Sums it up for me. Still not liking the music. I really want some more straightforward dance beats, rather than the all-over-the-shop sound. And I've tried but cannot find a good control scheme. R2 is fine on Intermediate but moving up to Advanced shows how crap it is. L1+R1+Square would be great, but it won't let you define buttons, just choose from pre-defined sets.

Will persevere but sad to say it's not doing it for me. Hate to say it.

Man, y'all must have some funky joypads, I'm finding R2 fine apart from a bunch of synthlines and spastic drum patterns on Expert (which is probably more to do with my fingers just not being up to this shit anymore than a button issue anyway), everything's very doable on Advanced.

I think I've maxed out 'Unfinished Business' on Expert, I've done 2777 twice now and can't see any paths offering more multipliers until (if) I unlock Super. I pushed 'Lights' over 3300 a couple of times but I think there's more to squeeze out of that one. The Insomniac track is quite possibly the worst thing I've ever heard, it's The Room levels of so-bad-it's-almost-good. I completely lost it when some dude starts nu-metal rapping about corporate intellectual property.

Holy shit at all those original Amplitude threads. So long ago.

Despite unlocking Super I'm struggling to get at most of your scores. As much as only multipliers and no breaks sounds like the perfect score attack, the lack of consistent hard resets through the song can cause some of them to get really badly out of sync meaning you're jumping all over trying to keep a combo going. Since you only get 5 or 6 misses before you fail, I've been messing up songs I can breeze through on expert. Also, most songs have that one track that is just an absolute beast, and with no power ups beside multiply you're going to have to face it or die.

I totally get the soundtrack complaints. It definitely needs some more variety and I do hope they can add more, but the campaign as concept album really works for me.

Break for me is my favourite.

Yes, Break for Me is excellent! I really like Lights too. Other favourites are Do Not Retreat, Digital Paralysis and Concept but my absolute number one is Decode Me. Every single section of that song is brilliant, but the final apocalyptic section sends shivers down my spine.

I rather like ICU. I mean, it's too fast for me to keep up with so I'm garbo at it but I do like it. Also, Dalatecht, which is great in quickplay without the the eye-breaking acid vision.

Something that does bug me is how only some really fast tracks I hate have a straight, flat FreQ tunnel as opposed to the undulating rollercoaster tube everything else has, and also the way moving snaps you to the 'next' track even if you double tapped to try and move past it. I would have much preferred an octagonal field to play around as opposed the bigger one we've got to accommodate different the curves of the tracks.

If that makes sense. It does in my head, anyway.

And yeah, Dec, thinking about it, there are some songs on Super I'd never finish if there's no cleanse or slow-mo to give a fighting chance.