IGNORED

Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

25 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Haven't these rumours about a remaster/patch been churning about forever and a day?

Don't tease me!

The gaming rumours subreddit has this once a week. This is no more confirmation than the last ten insider rumours.

I’d love a remake/remaster 

I’ve tried several times to get into this but the PS4 version is super janky and hard to play after so many 60fps games. Had I played it on release it probably wouldn’t even be a problem but going back to it now is tough. 

If it’s a framerate boost then fine, but anything more I’d rather they spent the resource elsewhere.

It’s not like Demon’s Souls that was trapped on the PS3 and hardly anyone played it. This was the first proper game worth getting on the PS4, so as well as selling quite well, people have rinsed it over the years. Not to mention you can play it right now on PS5 and aside from the framerate, it still looks stunning. 

2 hours ago, Oz said:

Isn’t it too close to Elden ring now?

That's a good point actually. If it's coming, I'd expect it for Christmas 2022 at the earliest. There's no sense releasing two souls games on top of each other.

On 18/10/2021 at 15:47, Kayin Amoh said:

They did great work on Demon's Souls, I'd love to see them get a crack at Yharnam.

I'd be surprised them doing a Demon's Souls type full rework of Bloodborne as it still looks amazing today. All it needs is a consistent 60fps and resolution along with anti-aliasing cranked up to ten. They don't need to touch the lighting and texturing - I'd probably rather they didn't anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I started a new playthrough yesterday and encountered something new. New to me, anyway.

In Yahar'gul in its pre-Rom phase, I managed to aggro both the giant pigs, one in front of me and one behind. They both charged at me and I dodged out of the way, panicking like an idiot, and they hit and killed each other! I lol'd. 

I had no idea that could happen until yesterday.

37 minutes ago, dug said:

I started a new playthrough yesterday and encountered something new. New to me, anyway.

In Yahar'gul in its pre-Rom phase, I managed to aggro both the giant pigs, one in front of me and one behind. They both charged at me and I dodged out of the way, panicking like an idiot, and they hit and killed each other! I lol'd. 

I had no idea that could happen until yesterday.

That's cool. I've only ever aggro'd the giant pigs on the way up the Wet Nurse and had them fight that bunch of Shadows of Yarnham on the way up. 

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, df0 said:

So this was just speedran: all bosses in under an hour.

Distortion is a ledge.  Been a while since I've watched a BB speedrun, I love how OP beast blood pellets are when you're good at the game! 

• 1 month later...

I watched the entire Maximilian Dood stream where he played through the PSX demake. I’m not a person who would choose to watch other people playing games, but that was incredibly entertaining. Particularly the latter half where the differences between the fan game and the original become clear. The creators deserve a lot of kudos.

I started a new game of this (the PS4 version, not the demake) the other day, just to get in the mood before the end of the month (although I know that a lot of elements are barely comparable with Elden Ring.) I think right now I'm up to Amelia, and I'm leaning towards a Strength build again. It's so easy to forget how brutal that opening area can be when you have no health and no defence and just get torn apart by the bonfire gang, but things are improving now. I don't know if I'll play through the whole thing again, but it's lost none of its appeal. And it's still my favourite of the From games (DS1 just didn't click with me), so it'll be interesting to see how ER measures up.

Been battering my head at this for the past few weeks (including a week of feverish nights whilst Covid positive) and it is just so beautifully designed. The locations, atmosphere, sound design etc are second to none even with the PS4 frame rate. I think I hit the wall of my ability with the DLC but struggled through past Maria (who wasn't too bad in the end). Orphan Kos is another matter. Grinding levels through Chalice dungeons to try and brute force that one. Once got him down to about 10% health and then managed to stagger him but didn't get to him in time to visceral. Cue him then smashing me around the head and killing me :( I've now got so into the rhythm of repeating this fight that I always send the lift back up each time to make the next try a little quicker. 😜 My main worry is that I'll have to completely relearn the controls for Elden Ring (prefer a sword and shield build there).

Completed the base game now - probably not going to dive into Old Hunters again as I have other things to play.

Even so, I still enjoy it as much as I did last time. There are one or two tedious lantern runs and not every boss is a winner, but for me the unique BB blend of gunplay and directional dashes and eldritch horror is still preferable to medieval castles and clunky rolls.

Unless it has an open-world filled with joyless encounters, I have hopes that Elden Ring will be at least as memorable, if not moreso, but we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been playing this through again in preparation for Elden Ring (it’s still brilliant), and just defeated Lady Maria. I must have completed this 4 or 5 times by now, and can blast through it only dying a handful of times. However, in all my time playing it I’ve never used either trick weapons or even the guns. I’ve spent most of the second half of the game with a torch in my left hand because it looks cool. So, have I been playing it wrong all along? Or do you also stick mostly to a combination of R1 and well timed sidesteps? 

19 hours ago, FalconGR said:

I’ve been playing this through again in preparation for Elden Ring (it’s still brilliant), and just defeated Lady Maria. I must have completed this 4 or 5 times by now, and can blast through it only dying a handful of times. However, in all my time playing it I’ve never used either trick weapons or even the guns. I’ve spent most of the second half of the game with a torch in my left hand because it looks cool. So, have I been playing it wrong all along? Or do you also stick mostly to a combination of R1 and well timed sidesteps? 

I double-handed the whole time. Didn’t even know that you could use the guns to stagger enemies until the last boss. Still not sure what switching between weapon forms mid-fight does, other than giving a different attack animation. 

20 hours ago, Popo said:

I double-handed the whole time. Didn’t even know that you could use the guns to stagger enemies until the last boss. Still not sure what switching between weapon forms mid-fight does, other than giving a different attack animation. 

Oh man, if you do a light attack them hit the transform button instead of hitting light attack again (as if it's the next hit in the combo) you will do a transform attack, this will do a hit that does bonus stagger to the enemy and transform your weapon into tmits trick state. You can hit light attack again to attack in the trick form, or, you can hit transform again to do another transform attack. You can chain there hits indefinitely. 

These attacks are especially good for building the beastial meter activated when using beast blood pellets, but dramatically buff you incoming and outgoing damage. Unsing this attack chain and the pellets allows you to absolutely wreck bosses if you are speed running etc, but it is very high risk / reward. 

With all the Elden Ring talk at present, I've been tempted to have another attempt at Bloodborne. Last time around I jacked it in at Shadows of Yharnam - mostly because I got fed up of the lengthy run from the torch to the boss every I time I messed up. I'm not sure I'll stick it out this time yet, but we'll see. At least the loading times are much faster on PS5.

I've decided to pay more attention to builds this time - I think on my original attempt I might have wasted my build on skills that probably didn't benefit me, instead of focusing on Vitality, Endurance, and Strength, so I started out with the Violent Past build this time around and the Saw-axe and Blunderbuss starting weapons. I'm also taking a lot more care to figure out parrying and defensive maneouvres rather than pretty much relying on my right-hand weapon as I did before. This seems to be paying off as, while I've been killed several times, I'm doing much better than I did on the initial playthrough where I remember dying LOTS.

I'm still in Yharnam at present, and haven't attempted the Cleric Beast of Father Gascgoine yet, but I have found a Madman's Knowlege so have woken the doll and been able to level up my stats a little. I've also upgraded the axe and blunderbuss once each. I think I might farm the bridge werewolves a bit to level up further before hitting the bosses.

Oh, and I've got the music box which might make the Gascgoine fight a little easier apparently.

Anyway, wish me luck...

All my kids are on Elden Ring, so I feel like an old-timer here. :D