rllmuk
MW_Jimmy

Bloodborne - GOTD edition

I'd defo recommend fishing for parries vs the sword guy.  I do it in the above videos, you only need about 3 parries and he'll be dead.   Keep distance from the others, wathc the attacks, wait for sword guy to get close and attack, then shoot.  Repeat until dead. 

Then just beat the fuck out of the other two, they're useless, pretty much. 

39 minutes ago, robdood said:

Re: Shadows, I dunno what to say man, they're one of the easiest bosses in the game once you figure out your rhythm. Here's two old videos of me beating them. 

You make it look so easy. These bastards won’t beat me. Tomorrow they’re mine.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, APM said:

Like I said earlier, have you got the gun parry down? It's really useful on these.

Not yet, but I’ll keep trying.

1 hour ago, JPL said:

Not yet, but I’ll keep trying.

Yeah, you definitely need it, as the animation when you kill them renders you invulnerable.

I don’t think I’ve ever parried them (can’t keep track of the timing and multiple enemies), and have beaten them a bunch of times. 

First go today and they’re down! Now on to Byrgenwerth.

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, JPL said:

Yay! Hope you get on better with R... 

I fully explored NF this morning. Didn't kill A, but cleaned the place out and found a whole new area I had missed before with 

Spoiler

That dick Patches who kicked me off a ledge. I also got something that let's me turn into the messengers which is fun. 

Going to FCC next. Not looking guard to ML. I hate that guy. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Broker said:

Fuck it, I’m reinstalling 

Welcome back, good hunter... 

On 04/07/2020 at 13:14, JPL said:

Amazing! Was worried about you :lol:

It's such a good feeling eh? My gf beat Quelaag in Dark Souls yesterday, after an afternoon of trudging through the poison swamp to get to her. She was in such a rage. After a frantic, desperate attempt, she managed to win, turned to me and said "This is the best game ever". I didn't think it was the right time to tell her "No, that's actually Bloodborne". 

• Upvote 3

Fuck! On new normal playthrough, chalice dungeon stuff... 

Spoiler

That Undead Giant is kicking my ass. I nearly had him, but got cocky and dead. 

Aside from MWN I have nothing left to do. Killed all the optional stuff and now just the chalice dungeons to plow through. My son has also started playing it. I think I've done a bad thing. 

I suppose I could do the DLC again as well... 

Right, question. I have not gone on with any of the Souls games, except 3 which I have not played. I'm also not really clicking with Sekiro. Should I try one of them following my revelation with bloodborne, and if so, which one? 

7 minutes ago, APM said:

Right, question. I have not gone on with any of the Souls games, except 3 which I have not played. I'm also not really clicking with Sekiro. Should I try one of them following my revelation with bloodborne, and if so, which one? 

3 definitely 3. I went from Bloodborne to 3. It's fantastic! It will feel a little strange at first but it has a lot of depth and variety to the combat and enemies that Bloodborne lacks, I personally think 3 is the best DS and competes with BB for best From game.

• Upvote 2

I'd say DS3 is closest to Bloodborne in terms of movement and combat, although it's less fast paced, and it has the widest build variety of the three. DS1 might seem a bit clunky in comparison but it has the best world in terms of how the different areas fit together, if that kind of thing matters to you, and DS2 has always felt a bit weird and floaty to me.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, APM said:

3 felt like the most natural "next step" after BB - it's quite similar in terms of having less (deliberate) clunkiness, and you can tell that they took a lot of the awesome architecture and design stuff that they honed in BB and applied it here. Sadly the setting is rooted back in Souls territory (so there's no cosmic horror) but otherwise there's a lot to enjoy.

• Upvote 1

Are the Souls games linked in any way or are they all separate? Is there any common thread running through them or are they all individual games in terms of story and stuff? 

They all share a "universe" and a similar theme but DS2 is the least related to the others. DS3 has multiple references to DS1, and a few recurring characters, but you don't need to have played the first one to enjoy DS3. There are a couple of "aw shit" moments in DS3 that will go over your head if you haven't played DS1, but it's nowhere near enough to say you must play DS1 first.

• Upvote 1

Cool. I may give it a shot, then. 

Expect a similar journey to this one in the DS3 thread. :D

• Upvote 2

Personally I think DS1 remastered is where you should go next. Your understanding (and dare I say, near mastery) of Bloodborne will mean you will adapt very quickly, and whereas in the past you might have bounced off it, now you’ll be able to slot right into the groove. My gf is playing it atm, and the world design is just amazing.

• Upvote 4

I started playing DS1 after the first 10 hours or so of bloodborne as I wanted something similar to play on my switch. I took a risk as I'd tried previously and failed miserably but this time I smashed it and completed it. I'm fairly certain it was just more of an understanding of how to pace myself in the game and boss fights(which I learned from Bloodborne) which got me through. I'd defo give it another go. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Personally I think DS1 remastered is where you should go next. Your understanding (and dare I say, near mastery) of Bloodborne will mean you will adapt very quickly, and whereas in the past you might have bounced off it, now you’ll be able to slot right into the groove. My gf is playing it atm, and the world design is just amazing.

Mastery!? 

8 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

THIS MAN IS CORRECT. 

Also check out my beginners guide on youtubes! <3

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, APM said:

Mastery!? 

Looking at the way you play in your vids, and the fact that you're now able to give sound advice to new players, yes! :)

59 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Looking at the way you play in your vids, and the fact that you're now able to give sound advice to new players, yes! :)

Aw, shucks :blush:

13 hours ago, APM said:

Please play DS1, 3 is just a pale imitation of it and much worse than both DS1 and Bloodborne. Avoid DS2 unless you rinse all the others and can’t resist.

• Upvote 1

I have remastered on the Switch so will have a look at that. Thing is, I've done the opening section before - I got across a bridge after killing the first proper boss and into some cathedral type place, iirc, past Undead Burg. I just remember it being painful. Maybe I'll be better at it now. 

55 minutes ago, APM said:

I have remastered on the Switch so will have a look at that. Thing is, I've done the opening section before - I got across a bridge after killing the first proper boss and into some cathedral type place, iirc, past Undead Burg. I just remember it being painful. Maybe I'll be better at it now. 

I was totally blocked by the gargoyle fight the first few times I played but I smashed it this time. Just using the dodging and positioning learning I'd got from bloodborne. i think it took me 2 goes on this completion run I did

50 minutes ago, Broker said:

Please play DS1, 3 is just a pale imitation of it and much worse than both DS1 and Bloodborne. Avoid DS2 unless you rinse all the others and can’t resist.

Strong disagree - love all of them and imo 3 is the pinnacle in terms of game balance and polish. Certainly more than a pale immitation, it takes lessons from all of the others, particularly BB, and just creates a really cohesive, complete game experience, I think. 

I really struggle with picking a favourite and have probably declared all of them my favourite on this forum in the past. Still haven't played Demon Souls!

DS 1 has an amazingly intricate game world, plus as a personal point was my introduction so will always hold a special status for me. 

DS 2 has brilliant environments, improves on the original in terms of content volume and probably the most complete self-contained storyline. Also maintains quality right through to the end, in a way that some people feel DS1 doesn't. 

BB has probably my favourite sense of atmosphere, and far faster and more fluid combat than previous games. Most thrilling boss battles. 

DS3 takes the best bits of all of them, doesn't quite top them all in respect to their individual strengths but as a whole is the most polished and complete and offers a huge amount of content and character flexibility (particularly with the DLC.) It doesn't carry over any of the individual low-points of each predecessor either - which are comparatively weak second half in DS1, "floaty" combat in DS2, and the reduction in the variety of playstyles and in-game mechanics of BB.

• Upvote 2

I've done the whole of 1 and 3 and now playing Bloodborne during lockdown. I did delve into 2 for a bit but got tempted by 3's fancy graphics and ended moving onto that.

I'd say 1 or 3, take your pick they are both equally awesome, I would lean towards 3 and it's just looks amazing but 1's world need to be experienced for at least one playthru.