rllmuk

Bloodborne - GOTD edition

Right, question. I have not gone on with any of the Souls games, except 3 which I have not played. I'm also not really clicking with Sekiro. Should I try one of them following my revelation with bloodborne, and if so, which one? 

7 minutes ago, APM said:

Right, question. I have not gone on with any of the Souls games, except 3 which I have not played. I'm also not really clicking with Sekiro. Should I try one of them following my revelation with bloodborne, and if so, which one? 

3 definitely 3. I went from Bloodborne to 3. It's fantastic! It will feel a little strange at first but it has a lot of depth and variety to the combat and enemies that Bloodborne lacks, I personally think 3 is the best DS and competes with BB for best From game.

• Upvote 2

I'd say DS3 is closest to Bloodborne in terms of movement and combat, although it's less fast paced, and it has the widest build variety of the three. DS1 might seem a bit clunky in comparison but it has the best world in terms of how the different areas fit together, if that kind of thing matters to you, and DS2 has always felt a bit weird and floaty to me.

• Upvote 4
7 minutes ago, APM said:

3 felt like the most natural "next step" after BB - it's quite similar in terms of having less (deliberate) clunkiness, and you can tell that they took a lot of the awesome architecture and design stuff that they honed in BB and applied it here. Sadly the setting is rooted back in Souls territory (so there's no cosmic horror) but otherwise there's a lot to enjoy.

• Upvote 1

Are the Souls games linked in any way or are they all separate? Is there any common thread running through them or are they all individual games in terms of story and stuff? 

They all share a "universe" and a similar theme but DS2 is the least related to the others. DS3 has multiple references to DS1, and a few recurring characters, but you don't need to have played the first one to enjoy DS3. There are a couple of "aw shit" moments in DS3 that will go over your head if you haven't played DS1, but it's nowhere near enough to say you must play DS1 first.

• Upvote 1

Personally I think DS1 remastered is where you should go next. Your understanding (and dare I say, near mastery) of Bloodborne will mean you will adapt very quickly, and whereas in the past you might have bounced off it, now you’ll be able to slot right into the groove. My gf is playing it atm, and the world design is just amazing.

• Upvote 4

I started playing DS1 after the first 10 hours or so of bloodborne as I wanted something similar to play on my switch. I took a risk as I'd tried previously and failed miserably but this time I smashed it and completed it. I'm fairly certain it was just more of an understanding of how to pace myself in the game and boss fights(which I learned from Bloodborne) which got me through. I'd defo give it another go. 

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Personally I think DS1 remastered is where you should go next. Your understanding (and dare I say, near mastery) of Bloodborne will mean you will adapt very quickly, and whereas in the past you might have bounced off it, now you’ll be able to slot right into the groove. My gf is playing it atm, and the world design is just amazing.

Mastery!? 

8 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

THIS MAN IS CORRECT. 

Also check out my beginners guide on youtubes! <3

• Upvote 2
59 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Looking at the way you play in your vids, and the fact that you're now able to give sound advice to new players, yes! :)

Aw, shucks :blush:

13 hours ago, APM said:

Please play DS1, 3 is just a pale imitation of it and much worse than both DS1 and Bloodborne. Avoid DS2 unless you rinse all the others and can’t resist.

• Upvote 1

I have remastered on the Switch so will have a look at that. Thing is, I've done the opening section before - I got across a bridge after killing the first proper boss and into some cathedral type place, iirc, past Undead Burg. I just remember it being painful. Maybe I'll be better at it now. 

55 minutes ago, APM said:

I have remastered on the Switch so will have a look at that. Thing is, I've done the opening section before - I got across a bridge after killing the first proper boss and into some cathedral type place, iirc, past Undead Burg. I just remember it being painful. Maybe I'll be better at it now. 

I was totally blocked by the gargoyle fight the first few times I played but I smashed it this time. Just using the dodging and positioning learning I'd got from bloodborne. i think it took me 2 goes on this completion run I did

50 minutes ago, Broker said:

Please play DS1, 3 is just a pale imitation of it and much worse than both DS1 and Bloodborne. Avoid DS2 unless you rinse all the others and can’t resist.

Strong disagree - love all of them and imo 3 is the pinnacle in terms of game balance and polish. Certainly more than a pale immitation, it takes lessons from all of the others, particularly BB, and just creates a really cohesive, complete game experience, I think. 

I really struggle with picking a favourite and have probably declared all of them my favourite on this forum in the past. Still haven't played Demon Souls!

DS 1 has an amazingly intricate game world, plus as a personal point was my introduction so will always hold a special status for me. 

DS 2 has brilliant environments, improves on the original in terms of content volume and probably the most complete self-contained storyline. Also maintains quality right through to the end, in a way that some people feel DS1 doesn't. 

BB has probably my favourite sense of atmosphere, and far faster and more fluid combat than previous games. Most thrilling boss battles. 

DS3 takes the best bits of all of them, doesn't quite top them all in respect to their individual strengths but as a whole is the most polished and complete and offers a huge amount of content and character flexibility (particularly with the DLC.) It doesn't carry over any of the individual low-points of each predecessor either - which are comparatively weak second half in DS1, "floaty" combat in DS2, and the reduction in the variety of playstyles and in-game mechanics of BB.

• Upvote 2

I've done the whole of 1 and 3 and now playing Bloodborne during lockdown. I did delve into 2 for a bit but got tempted by 3's fancy graphics and ended moving onto that.

I'd say 1 or 3, take your pick they are both equally awesome, I would lean towards 3 and it's just looks amazing but 1's world need to be experienced for at least one playthru.

Yeah if I’m being fair and not a total dick about it:

If you liked the exploration, tension, fear, atmosphere and story in bloodborne, and you loved the ways the world connected together, and mainly enjoyed the fights for the way they made you feel and think then DS1 has all that, sometimes a bit better sometimes a bit worse.

If you enjoyed the mechanical complexity and dexterity and the general challenge of learning and fighting the enemies in bloodborne, or appreciated the lovely graphics, DS3 will give you more. It has great design for individual areas (especially the cathedral), and some boss fights that are amazing to learn and play. But it feels to me, ironically, like a very hollow experience.

There’s nothing new or interesting in terms of stories or character (in contrast to tonnes of cool new boss and weapon mechanics), nothing really memorable that isn’t a well designed area or combat set piece. The world design is nearly as bad as DS2, with very few connections between areas and no real thought put into how the world fits together, with a lazy “lands converging” contrivance explaining why the world of DS3 is designed like a Mario game with different areas, climates etc all just lazily jammed together. Lordran in DS1 and Yharnam feel like real places, whereas the places in DS2 and 3 are just sets of game levels jammed together.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1
2 hours ago, Broker said:

I wouldn't go that far, but I do agree that DS1 is the essential game. However, it does have much of the feel and sheen of Bloodborne, being a more modern game. But I've played DS1 twice all the way through, have watched 89 Kay Plays videos of it, and am now watching Dood play the remix, and my gf play it for the first time. It somehow never gets old - whereas DS3 was a one-and-done affair.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, APM said:

Coming to this with BB experience? You will laugh at your past self and be at the same point in Dark Souls in like 45 minutes.

Demon's Souls has the best and most oppressive atmosphere.

Dark Souls has the best and most interconnected world. 

Dark Souls 2 is the most accessible and has some of the best boss fights (if you factor in the DLC).

Dark Souls 3 is the best mechanically.

Bloodborne looks the best and has the most memorable story.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice has the most satisfying combat.

• Upvote 2
8 minutes ago, Ozzy Womandias said:

Bloodborne has the best and most oppressive atmosphere.

Dark Souls has the best and most interconnected world. 

Bloodborne is the most accessible and has some of the best boss fights (if you factor in the DLC).

Bloodborne is the best mechanically.

Bloodborne looks the best and has the most memorable story.

Bloodborne has the most satisfying combat.

FTFY ;) 

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

I didn't rank Sekiro as it's the only one I didn't finish. Just haven't had the time since it came out. 

I've also avoided all online content related to it so as not to spoil the rest when I get round to playing it again. But is it generally considered to be as great as the others? (Tempted to say "as a proper Soulsborne", as the lack of multiplayer is a massive detraction to me that pretty much shoves it out of the category).

For me it doesn’t feel like its part of the “Soulsborne” model. There’s too many major changes, and I don’t really mean to the combat (which does feel similar). The difference for me is that the others are definitely action RPG’s, and I’d include bloodborne in that even with its more limited selection of weapons and stats. Sekiro has very little in the way of customisation, just some straight upgrades, and as such feels more like a Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry style straight action game. 

In combination with this, the lack of online makes it feel like a whole different game. If you’re struggling, all your options for trying something out or easing the difficulty are gone. You can’t try another weapon, or increase a stat, or summon someone. All the feeling of having a party or companions, even if just for one area, is gone. You just have to do it again and again until you memorise the way to do it. Souls does feel like that sometimes, but generally it’s because you’re stubbornly refusing to switch up your techniques, or accept help, rather than because the game is specifically designed like that. 

I also didn’t play too far (15 hours or so, three bosses beaten), but what I played was pretty repetitive visually, with the areas feeling very samey.

Even as a fan I generally find the whole “X meets Souls” shorthand unhelpful (unless I’m using it facetiously ;) ) so I enjoyed Sekiro (and BB) way more when I removed all subconscious “Soulsborne” comparisons from my mind. Not everyone can do this because the offputting Souls stuff - that’s absent in the other games - is purely personal to me, but even judged as its own thing I enjoyed it. The posture system could be pretty satisfying when you got the timing down, the skill tree was way more interesting than stat-levelling, the movement is very liberating (especially when you can just run from a general when things are too much), you don’t have to think about equip load or stamina and Wolf actually has something resembling a personality. If you really want comparisons to From games, I had more fun with BB and DS3 than I did with this, but Sekiro still ended up in second place when I did my list for the GOTY poll.

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

Even as a fan I generally find the whole “X meets Souls” shorthand unhelpful (unless I’m using it facetiously ;) ) so I enjoyed Sekiro (and BB) way more when I removed all subconscious “Soulsborne” comparisons from my mind. Not everyone can do this because the offputting Souls stuff - that’s absent in the other games - is purely personal to me, but even judged as its own thing I enjoyed it. The posture system could be pretty satisfying when you got the timing down, the skill tree was way more interesting than stat-levelling, the movement is very liberating (especially when you can just run from a general when things are too much), you don’t have to think about equip load or stamina and Wolf actually has something resembling a personality. If you really want comparisons to From games, I had more fun with BB and DS3 than I did with this, but Sekiro still ended up in second place when I did my list for the GOTY poll.

Yeah I think that could possibly be part of what put me off. 

When I say "put me off" I mean it's still easily one of my favourite games of this generation and top 100 ever. It's just not as far up the list as all the others. 

• Upvote 1