Bloodborne - GOTD edition

On 24/06/2020 at 22:10, APM said:

I'm rocking a +10 Threaded Cane and Church Pick for this run through. Really want to power up the Amygdala Arm, though. That thing is nasty. 

I used that A LOT when I found it in the DLC. It's so satisfying.

I started a new run through. I have to stop playing this game. Anyway, big axe and blunderbus. Killed CB, FG and Bob and now going to avoid VA until I have to fight her. 

Story question that I've never had really answered: What is the real world? Is it Yarnham and the main game? Or is it the Hunter's Dream? How does the bloody werewolf at the start come out of the blood if it is not a dream? The messengers too? Does it all start with the blood ministration? Who is the bandaged guy at the start? I've seen lots of videos covering the main story of Yarnham and the schools and church and blood, but nothing covering those things. 

8 hours ago, APM said:

I started a new run through. I have to stop playing this game. Anyway, big axe and blunderbus. Killed CB, FG and Bob and now going to avoid VA until I have to fight her. 

Story question that I've never had really answered: What is the real world? Is it Yarnham and the main game? Or is it the Hunter's Dream? How does the bloody werewolf at the start come out of the blood if it is not a dream? The messengers too? Does it all start with the blood ministration? Who is the bandaged guy at the start? I've seen lots of videos covering the main story of Yarnham and the schools and church and blood, but nothing covering those things. 

I think done guy did a massive essay which might answer some of your questions. 

• Upvote 1

I read all The Pale Blood Hunt. A good read. Still doesn't say who the Blood Minister actually is or really address how the wolf at the beginning comes out of the blood. If Yarnham is the real world, and he states there is no magic or anything like that, why does that wolf grow out of the blood? I like the idea that it is the old blood in your veins that burns it, but I'm not so sure. I think it's something to do with the messengers... There's more to them that I don't think gets covered... 

Anyway... I started a new game. Axe and Blunderbus! A very different feel. The Blunderbus is great. Passed VA now debating whether to go kill the Witch or head into the woods. Got down to the boss of the first chalice, some big, fiery wolf, and keep getting my ass kicked. Will come back to that later. Oh, and got Eileen killed by Henryk. Oops. I really should play another game... But... Damn, you lot were right. There's something in the blood that keeps drawing me back... 

• Upvote 6
8 hours ago, APM said:

I read all The Pale Blood Hunt. A good read. Still doesn't say who the Blood Minister actually is or really address how the wolf at the beginning comes out of the blood. If Yarnham is the real world, and he states there is no magic or anything like that, why does that wolf grow out of the blood? I like the idea that it is the old blood in your veins that burns it, but I'm not so sure. I think it's something to do with the messengers... There's more to them that I don't think gets covered... 

Anyway... I started a new game. Axe and Blunderbus! A very different feel. The Blunderbus is great. Passed VA now debating whether to go kill the Witch or head into the woods. Got down to the boss of the first chalice, some big, fiery wolf, and keep getting my ass kicked. Will come back to that later. Oh, and got Eileen killed by Henryk. Oops. I really should play another game... But... Damn, you lot were right. There's something in the blood that keeps drawing me back... 

The Axe is love.

• Upvote 1

Look what you have done to me!

I found this interesting on the wiki from someone:

In the beginning of the game, after you make a contract and have a blood transfusion, you have a nightmare about a beast arising from the blood, the beast approaches and as it reaches out to you in a gesture of wanting you to accept it, it bursts into flames upon touching you. I’m guessing this is a metaphor for you’re immune to the rampant beasthood curse plaguing the town and it’s for this very reason the messagers came for you. They see your immunity as a sign that you’re some sort of super hunter and so brand you with the mark of the hunter. Hence why the doll says soon after, “Ah, you found yourself a hunter.” In consequence, you’re robbed of your memories and somehow infused with fighting skills...or maybe you always had them? Clearly you’ve been indentured into the dream hunters by the messagers.

• Upvote 3

Yeah @APM I remember when you weren't too bothered about the lore. From games do have a way of getting under your skin and you definitely get your money's worth out of them if they click for you. Happy Hunting :D

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, Ozzy Womandias said:

I wish it was possible to start a new game with all the weapons available from the start. I'd love to do a full playthrough with the pizza cutter but that's only possible in NG+.

Yeah I agree, it's how I ended up doing hundreds of hours coop-ing in the chalices so I could farm insight and buy blood rocks from the store so I could have nearly all weapons at +10, I mean it was more Bloodborne so not bad but still, it would have been nice to have the ability to drop weapons for people like Dark Souls.

Meanwhile, I’m still stuck on those bastard Shadows of Yharnam. I just can’t seem to catch a break with them and it’s really pissing me off.

Are there any foolproof methods for taking them down?

I usually start with the Katana guy, but those other two fuckers always seem to get me in a pincer move and as soon as the one with the flamethrower gets going, I’m dead pretty much immediately.

It totally feels like a game of chance. I’ve watched plenty of videos on YouTube and they seem to be able to easily split them up around the giant gravestone, to take them on one at once. It just doesn’t work like that for me and I must have tried over 30 times now.

If there’s no easy method, then this is where me and Bloodborne part company.

Stay calm, try not to stay locked on to one guy for too long - either try playing entirely without lock-on, or turn it on and off as you progress - and it's worth practising gun parries, especially with the katana guy as he goes in swinging a lot. Also, I guess the invincibility frames during the visceral attack can give you a second to check your surroundings?

5 minutes ago, JPL said:

Meanwhile, I’m still stuck on those bastard Shadows of Yharnam. I just can’t seem to catch a break with them and it’s really pissing me off.

I usually start with the Katana guy, but those other two fuckers always seem to get me in a pincer move and as soon as the one with the flamethrower gets going, I’m dead pretty much immediately.

It totally feels like a game of chance. I’ve watched plenty of videos on YouTube and they seem to be able to easily split them up around the giant gravestone, to take them on one at once. It just doesn’t work like that for me and I must have tried over 30 times now.

What weapons are you using? I've started a new playthrough over the last couple of days and I'm just up to the Shadows. I'm using Ludwig's Big Sword and blunderbus or flame spray so I'll let you know how it goes. You can always summon an old hunter in to help you, you know. 

1 minute ago, APM said:

What weapons are you using? I've started a new playthrough over the last couple of days and I'm just up to the Shadows. I'm using Ludwig's Big Sword and blunderbus or flame spray so I'll let you know how it goes. You can always summon an old hunter in to help you, you know. 

I’m still rocking the Saw Cleaver, on +6, which I thought would be good enough.

It’s really weird watching people do them on YouTube as it seems so easy, but it just isn’t playing that way for me.

I tried the summon, but they get annihilated pretty much straight away, leaving all 3 of them with even more health.

I’ll give it a few more goes, but it’s really pissing me off now.

23 minutes ago, JPL said:

Use the big stone structure on the right of the arena to dance around, personally I like targeting the guy who stands back throwing fireballs by dancing around that rock away from the other two and giving that flame throwing dickhead a good stabbing, try to get all their energy down though if you can because the second phase hits in once one of them falls to 1/3 health, and they get that little bit tougher. You can do it, just dance, dance, dance till you get one on his own with some space to get stabby stabby.

Team up with the summon on the same shadow. Really lay into it. I know you said earlier that you couldn't get the hang of the gun parry. That move is really useful against the katana guy to get some visceral attacks in. Have you got gems and everything on the blade? Have you also got the carryl runes as well?