Bloodborne - GOTD edition

Oh god, I’ve just ended up there after picking up the Tonsil Stone from someone in one of the houses in Cathedral Ward, then every house I went to, the same voice told me to take a right before the cathedral and head down to the big hall where I got crushed by the giant unseen beast. This time, I got thrown into the Lecture Building and now I’m in Nightmare Frontier getting my arse handed to me.

Before ending up here it was all going so well. I’d made my way through the Forbidden Woods, which was a nice leisurely stroll until I got up to the SoY, so I thought I’d go back for an explore in some earlier areas. That worked out well!

• Upvote 1

Rampaging!

Spoiler

The nightmare is slaughtered. Cage head and nursery done. Upper Cathedral Ward done. I even finished Alfred's story, the bloody weirdo. Then I brought her back. Ha! Then I went into the DLC and wiped out everyone all the way up to the boss, where I stopped. I'm on a roll! 

• Upvote 3

Any tips for Shadow of Yharnam? They’re the first boss fight that I’ve struggled with and I just can’t get a handle on it.

13 minutes ago, JPL said:

Any tips for Shadow of Yharnam? They’re the first boss fight that I’ve struggled with and I just can’t get a handle on it.

I focused on the pure slasher first. Keep on the move and stun him with your pistol. Try and keep the flaming ones on the other side of the statue in the middle. I left the fire ball one until last and repeated the procedure on the second one. It's a case of divide and conquer. 

4 minutes ago, APM said:

I focused on the pure slasher first. Keep on the move and stun him with your pistol. Try and keep the flaming ones on the other side of the statue in the middle. I left the fire ball one until last and repeated the procedure on the second one. It's a case of divide and conquer. 

Yeah, seems like a good strategy. The fire ball dude moves slower than the others, so it’s easier to pull the other two away. I think it’s the randomness of having to fight 3 enemies at once that’s getting me, as my tactics always go to shit. I’ll keep at it and hope I get lucky.

26 minutes ago, JPL said:

Yeah, seems like a good strategy. The fire ball dude moves slower than the others, so it’s easier to pull the other two away. I think it’s the randomness of having to fight 3 enemies at once that’s getting me, as my tactics always go to shit. I’ll keep at it and hope I get lucky.

You really have to focus on one at a time and don't get carried away. Thing is, I'm not an expert and usually get through with a case of flailing and copious amounts of dodging and blood vials. That said, this is one of the bosses where the bullet stun really is useful and relativity easy to pull off. 

I still haven’t really used the gun. I find the risk/reward mechanic of it a bit too woolly. Like, if you go up against an enemy it’s difficult to know when to fire it and if you mistime, you know you’re going to get clobbered, losing a load of health. I could practise to get the timing down, but then I’d have usually just cut them to ribbons with my saw cleaver instead, so it seems a bit pointless.

Maybe this is the perfect opportunity to get into it, but again, it seems a waste of time, as the next enemies I encounter will have a different window for the gun parry.

52 minutes ago, JPL said:

I still haven’t really used the gun. I find the risk/reward mechanic of it a bit too woolly. Like, if you go up against an enemy it’s difficult to know when to fire it and if you mistime, you know you’re going to get clobbered, losing a load of health. I could practise to get the timing down, but then I’d have usually just cut them to ribbons with my saw cleaver instead, so it seems a bit pointless.

Maybe this is the perfect opportunity to get into it, but again, it seems a waste of time, as the next enemies I encounter will have a different window for the gun parry.

My biggest mistake was that I fired when they were winding up for a swing - the wind-up is your warning, and then you can fire during the swing to stagger them.

Also, the huge counter-attack doesn’t always connect if you shot at a distance, so dash in once and then hit R1. :) 

I tried playing this for the first time yesterday. 

Uninstalled after 10 mins. That image quality is just too much for me to handle. 

• Empathy 2
2 hours ago, JPL said:

Go back to Central Yarnham and then down to the two Ogres wandering around down the steps and practice on them, then on the large beast creatures in the warehouse bit just beyond them. They all have fairly big animation cycles where it is easy to stun them and you can then get a feel for it.

32 minutes ago, Ry said:

Uninstalled after 10 mins. That image quality is just too much for me to handle. 

What do you mean? It looks fantastic. The frame rate’s a bit shit, but you soon get used to it.

1 hour ago, Ry said:

FOUL BEAST. 

• Upvote 3
3 hours ago, JPL said:

I bet you're still dodging backwards most of the time too, right? 

Dodge forwards, experiment with parries, if you get hurt don't run away.  Keep on attacking.  Rip, cut, tear; that sweet blood keeps you going.  Bathe in it. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, JPL said:

What do you mean? It looks fantastic. The frame rate’s a bit shit, but you soon get used to it.

I'm playing on base PS4. It's dreadful. I did read the image quality was bad but I didn't expect that

• Empathy 1
18 minutes ago, Ry said:

I'm playing on base PS4. It's dreadful. I did read the image quality was bad but I didn't expect that

Your loss. There's nothing wrong with the image quality, some frame pacing issues occasionally but that's it. 

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, Ry said:

Weird. I’m on a PS4 slim and it looks great to me. Give it some time though to see if you can adjust. It’s well worth it.

37 minutes ago, Minion said:

Your loss. There's nothing wrong with the image quality, some frame pacing issues occasionally but that's it. 

Ok. I have eye issues. But seems I'm just losing my mind. 

I'm playing on my launch PS4. No issues here. 

Anyway, beat Luddo, made my way through the next bit, beat the stupid monsters and then how do you solve a problem like Maria? With a big sword, that's how. Heading into the second half of grimsby now. Just OoK, And the final couple of bosses await. 

• Upvote 1

Fuck the OoK. I nearly had him, then he jumps in the air, the lock on loses him, I'm trying desperately to spin the camera round to find him when he twats me from above and repeatedly his me until I'm dead. He was down to about ten percent health. It fucks me off no end when you die through no fault of your own. Now I'm sure I'll be told it was my fault and I did something wrong, but he'd jumped up in the air loads of times before this and never broken the lock, so you know, consistency would be good. 

• Upvote 1

Briefly watched a guy do a no-damage run earlier. He didn't even get his gun from Hunter's dream, just picked up a spear he found on the way and went straight for Gasgoine, killing him without getting hit. I then went to fight him myself and died about 5 times before turning it off in frustration. Bloodborne feels a lot more unfair than dark souls ever did, at times.