Bloodborne - GOTD edition

2 hours ago, JPL said:

Right, I’m about to start this today. Any tips?

Get used to stamina management - take time rolling, dashing and attacking to get a feel for how much stamina each action uses. This way, when you’re in the middle of combat you’ll start instinctively knowing if you can still dash to safety without having to take your eyes off the action.

Use your lock-on movement effectively; if you try and dodge when you have free camera movement you’ll do a basic roll - if you try and dodge when locked on to an enemy you’ll do a fast dash in the direction you push, and it’s essential when manoeuvring around some enemies.

Also, resist the temptation to run away all of the time. There’s a gameplay mechanic called Rally (or Regain) where you can take damage but have a small window to get health back if you immediately attack enemies around you. Obviously if you get too greedy you could make things worse, but if you get it right then you might not have to use a healing item.

Yeah, that last tip is useful. When you take damage, the damage taken will first show up as a lighter orange part of your health bar. Smack an enemy while this is there and you can regain the damage done. 

Oh, and don't give up when the werewolves on the bridge kill you for the thirtieth time. 

20 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

And what about the Chalice Dungeons? 

Don't be wriggling out of that. 

I've only got two chalices and only one open. I don't have the stuff for the others. What's in them? 

4 minutes ago, JPL said:

Thanks for the tips. Are there different builds, like DS? Fat rolling, any of that stuff I need to look out for?

I wouldn't think about that on a first run through. Do get used to the idea of using a gunshot as a parry though - can be very useful.

@APM

There are the 'story Chalice Dungeons' which are well worth doing, almost like a Zelda/Skyrim-style dungeon with basic puzzles and switches, and then a load of procedurally generated stuff which is what people usually focus on when saying the Chalice Dungeons are crap.

For the 'story' Dungeons, when you finish one, you get the deeper level of Chalice and some materials to open it up. There are only five depths and they get progressively weirder with quite a lot of new bosses and enemies. You will also get some great gems and one awesome weapon which can be paired with a particular rune for a very unique build. It's also very cool even without the rune. Some of the bosses down there are terrifying. You're also at the perfect moment to do that stuff. 

@JPL

It's nowhere near as RPG-heavy even as Dark Souls, in terms of builds. A 'build' in BB is basically 'which weapon you use'. Some of them are pretty obscure and some of the most interesting ones are in the DLC, as covered, but it's a game which can be replayed several times with a different build and you can have a pretty different experience of the combat. 

Edit: Damn...I've played BB to death, probably completed it with a dozen different weapons and feel totally done with it, but now all I want to do is grab the BC and go absolutely feral. 

1 minute ago, JPL said:

Thanks for the tips. Are there different builds, like DS? Fat rolling, any of that stuff I need to look out for?

There are weapons that require your stats to be at certain levels otherwise you can’t use them, so there are things made for arcane builds or strength builds etc.

Also, it’s a pretty inconsequential thing but there is a hidden stat that affects the speed of your stamina regen based on your equipment - it’s nothing as extreme as fat rolling but it is in there. However, I only knew about it after the fact and barely noticed the difference when playing.

3 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

I wouldn't think about that on a first run through. Do get used to the idea of using a gunshot as a parry though - can be very useful.

Yeah. There's a big enemy banging on a door once you make your way through the first big group of enemies. He's slow and his moves are well telegraphed. I found that enemy and others like him a great way to get used to the parry gunshot. 

3 hours ago, JPL said:

Right, I’m about to start this today. Any tips?

I've said it before, and I'm not the only one, so I would imagine this would work for you. Whenever you are in the location where you can buy thing, put any spare currency into vials (and then bullets). Don't know whether you'll develop a mislike of the vials, but this should make that less likely, as well as reducing the need to farm. Or if you are farming, it'll be for something significant like a weapon and you'll have plenty of health.

Does that make sense? Enjoy...

1 hour ago, JPL said:

If you’re familiar with Dark Souls then the main thing I would say is that Bloodborne is a bit like playing Dark Souls wearing the Ninja garb, the Dark Wood Grain Ring, Equip Load under 25%, and crucially NO SHIELD. By which I mean it’s faster, and more aggressive. If you’re used to tanking through Dark Souls with a big shield, you will need to adjust to a more dodge-heavy, fast attack style of play. 

Other than that, a lot of what you know from Dark Souls in terms of opening shortcuts, stamina management etc, applies here and should stand you in good stead.

11 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

If you’re familiar with Dark Souls then the main thing I would say is that Bloodborne is a bit like playing Dark Souls wearing the Ninja garb, the Dark Wood Grain Ring, Equip Load under 25%, and crucially NO SHIELD. By which I mean it’s faster, and more aggressive. If you’re used to tanking through Dark Souls with a big shield, you will need to adjust to a more dodge-heavy, fast attack style of play. 

Other than that, a lot of what you know from Dark Souls in terms of opening shortcuts, stamina management etc, applies here and should stand you in good stead.

I tend to play more nimble builds with faster weapons anyway and I’ve not long played Sekiro, which I loved, so it sounds good to me.

I missed the torch near him at first so kept having to run down the bridge, through the red goo, up the ladder and past the two big fuckers the first few times. Then I stopped and had a look around. Didn't I feel foolish. 

25 minutes ago, APM said:

Of course I did. Am I not supposed to? 

Question: What's the point of insight and frenzy? 

Frenzy just exists to ruin your day remove a huge chunk of health. The status ailment-y gubbins is the same as poison or paralysis in other games - exposure to it makes a meter build up, giving you time to deal with it before it's actually inflicted on you... however, the "effect" of the ailment (when the meter is full) is nothing more complicated than "remove a huge chunk of health." It is inflicted by specific beings who can cast it from a distance, and sometimes you can hide in cover to break the line-of-sight and make the meter go back down; also, you can use sedatives to reset the meter, or equip gear with better frenzy resistance (the meter will build up more slowly.)

Insight is a bit more nebulous but it has several basic uses: for instance, it's a currency spent when using multiplayer features, and also a currency spent on special items in the Hunter's Dream. At the start of the game you'll have received the Beckoning Bell - this can be used to call for help from co-op players, but every time you ring it you have to spend Insight. Likewise, you'll get a new shop in the Dream eventually where you can get more stuff, but instead of spending Echoes you'll spend Insight. There is eventually a third "use" of Insight but revealing it might be a bit spoilery for those who want to see it for themselves.

Spoiler

At certain Insight thresholds (e.g. when you have a certain amount obtained that you haven't spent) you'll see various environmental changes in certain areas, and changes to the appearances of certain enemies, and sometimes changes to the movesets of certain enemies.

It’s a small thing, but for players invested in the experience it can get pretty nuts. :) 

17 hours ago, APM said:

I guess that only shows up in repeat plays as first time through, how would you know? 

If you revisit earlier areas now that your insight is above a certain level you'll get the changes to the enemies and environment

32 minutes ago, Hawklord said:

If you revisit earlier areas now that your insight is above a certain level you'll get the changes to the enemies and environment

Oh, OK. Anywhere in particular you'd advise?

1 hour ago, APM said:

Oh, OK. Anywhere in particular you'd advise?

Spoiler

They aren't that obvious but Cathedral Ward should have a few new "decorations" on the buildings. Although they also show up after a certain amount of progress in the game anyway. The Church Doctors in the area have a new attack and are stronger.

It's only minor additions/changes to the game and doesn't really affect much other than in Cathedral Ward

Here's the wiki page for Insight so you can see what changes

https://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Insight

That's about right, yep. The game doesn't make it very clear but you 'should' do them as you go along. Where you are now, until the level 3 Dungeons, you'll probably beast everything. By the level 5 Dungeons, you can farm and level up pretty much two or three times per run.