rllmuk
MW_Jimmy

Bloodborne - GOTD edition

Just now, Down by Law said:

BTW I'm not hating on the game, I'm really enjoying it. This boss can piss up a rope though. 

Of course! I felt exactly the same way with that boss I totally understand!

1 minute ago, Minion said:

No BSB is actually a dead end, you can go another way now and get the badge, and further echoes for levels...

Say what now?! I'm in the cathedral ward but the door to my right is locked... 

14 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Say what now?! I'm in the cathedral ward but the door to my right is locked... 

Oh yes sorry I forgot about that! You can however buy the Hunter Chief Emblem and get to another boss, one I found a lot easier than BSB. About summoning it is a game mechanic the developers put in there, if you don't want to summon yourself try ringing the bell that answers others calls for help for that boss and you could fight it with other people in their game and lose nothing from dying. 

4 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Nah I looked it up. You can't buy it until you've got a seal... A seal you obtain after beating the blood starved beast. 

So ...you consider summoning (which is built into the game, and an integral part of the experience) as cheating, but you don't have a problem with looking stuff up online? 

I hate to be the "You're playing it wrong" guy, particularly when it comes to Soulsbornes. But... You're playing it wrong.

• Downvote 1

I already looked everywhere in the game, and none of the merchants sell it. When people say 'use x item', on the boss I'm stuck on, i can only assume I'd missed it. 

Is everyone playing offline playing it wrong too then? Get outta here with that attitude 

• Upvote 2

I'm getting better. Level 2 vision now and finally got to two bosses, who both absolutely splatted me of course.

Gonna grind for loot and levels a bit now before i ask for some help with a boss!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Down by Law said:

I already looked everywhere in the game, and none of the merchants sell it. When people say 'use x item', on the boss I'm stuck on, i can only assume I'd missed it. 

Is everyone playing offline playing it wrong too then? Get outta here with that attitude 

Firepaper cannot be purchased until after BSB, you might have picked some up as I think some NPC earlier hands you 3 pieces (I think).

So that leaves you pungent cocktail & molotovs.  buy both and stack up as many molotovs as you can.  During the final stage of the fight, chuck the cocktail at the wall and then when the BSB goes for it chuck the molotovs.  Or chuck the cocktail, attack the BSB as he is after the cocktail, retire to a safe distance and then chuck molotovs.

Also make sure your weapon is upgraded as it can be at this point.

You can get some fire paper before killing BSB (and before Amelia is taken down), as it's what I used to help defeat it, but obviously that's a limited amount. I think you can get some from Alfred (NPC in the Cathedral Ward) and I'm think there's some in Old Yharnam.

I wouldn't go mad looking for it though. It makes you do more damage to BSB which is helpful of course but it's not the be all and end all. It just gives an additional edge. I found the advice of dodging left more useful - almost all of its attacks miss if you go to the left. 

I'd imagine oil urns before Molotovs are probably helpful as well.

I've found that farming a few levels is usually helpful if I'm stuck in the game. Even a couple of levels have made a difference (or just coming back to it fresh helps. Either way).

I bought the Hunter's seal and worked my way through the catherdral ward, beating boss VA on my first go (the only one i've been able to one shot thus far!) I'm now currently plowing my way through an army of witches. There are so many echoes here that I plan to rinse this area and the boss, level up, get the firepaper, and then take on BSB again. I actually found some firepaper last night on a body - in the run to the BSB there's a werewolf that jumps out a building. Inside there is a spiral staircase and at the very top there was a body with two pieces. I didn't beat the boss though I got close, amazing the damage buff the firepaper does. Looks cool as well !

It's very compulsive this game. The enemy designs in this area are awesome. These women are crazy!

• Upvote 4

40 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

I bought the Hunter's seal and worked my way through the catherdral ward, beating boss VA on my first go (the only one i've been able to one shot thus far!) I'm now currently plowing my way through an army of witches. There are so many echoes here that I plan to rinse this area and the boss, level up, get the firepaper, and then take on BSB again. I actually found some firepaper last night on a body - in the run to the BSB there's a werewolf that jumps out a building. Inside there is a spiral staircase and at the very top there was a body with two pieces. I didn't beat the boss though I got close, amazing the damage buff the firepaper does. Looks cool as well !

It's very compulsive this game. The enemy designs in this area are awesome. These women are crazy!

Good work hunter! I just need to clarify something about summoning though, the developers put NPC summons in for offline play, it's clearly a part of the game design so really don't feel bad about it at all. Compulsive is a perfect description of the Soulsborne games, since picking up Bloodborne I've become horribly addicted to them so much so that any other games pale into insignificance. When you beat the boss in this area be sure to fully check the boss arena area closely for a very useful and important item.

• Upvote 1

Do the bad guys get tougher when you level up or if you keep grinding the same area? I leveled up my strength and endurance and somehow I now do less damage and take more damage from your standard enemy blokes

They should stay the same, I just went back to Central Yarnham to kill the trolls under the bridge (seriously from :lol: ) for easy vials and they dropped in like two axe hits.

I've played the shit out of this today, it's like crack now. I did get annoyed when I was instakilled while exploring by a unseeable ghost terror but still all part of the ride!

Currently in the 'FF' and i'm getting serious RE4 vibes from the enemy designs and area! Surely intentional! 

Oh yeah and I smashed BSB face in with Arthur's help and the firepaper. Dude is a beast, he barely got touched :lol:

2 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Do the bad guys get tougher when you level up or if you keep grinding the same area? I leveled up my strength and endurance and somehow I now do less damage and take more damage from your standard enemy blokes

In the early part of the game, upgrading weapons will make the most noticeable damage increases.  If you're doing less damage, have you changed weapon?  The enemies don't change, ever.

As for taking more damage, there are only two things I can suggest/think of - 

1. Have you changed armour recently?

2. If you get hit during animations (e.g. sprinting / attacking) you take increased damage, 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

They should stay the same, I just went back to Central Yarnham to kill the trolls under the bridge (seriously from :lol: ) for easy vials and they dropped in like two axe hits.

I've played the shit out of this today, it's like crack now. I did get annoyed when I was instakilled while exploring by a unseeable ghost terror but still all part of the ride!

Currently in the 'FF' and i'm getting serious RE4 vibes from the enemy designs and area! Surely intentional! 

Haha, FW(oods) is one of my favourite areas.  That first time through was intense as fuck. 

Also @kerraig UK are you repairing your weapons when in the Hunter's Dream? As you continue using them the durability decreases and I think this affects the damage output, but if you go to the workbench at the Dream you can pay blood echoes to repair your weapons. :) 

12 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Also @kerraig UK are you repairing your weapons when in the Hunter's Dream? As you continue using them the durability decreases and I think this affects the damage output, but if you go to the workbench at the Dream you can pay blood echoes to repair your weapons. :) 

I haven't found the work bench yet. Lol!

Took down Darkbeast Paarl and The One Reborn this evening, didn't think either was particularly hard (not often I've said that about Bloodborne bosses).

Darkbeast Paarl I'd encountered before, but ran away from. Turns out his bark is worse than his bite, with electricity and frightening noises (true for a lot of enemies in this game, your fear is sometimes the main thing to overcome).

• Upvote 1

You do get a pretty obvious hud notification when weapons are close to or are broken though, right? 

The only time I ever needed to repair things was once I had max upgraded weapons and was doing a lot of chalice dungeons.. 

This game has truly ruined everything else for me. With over 500 hours played, I naively downloaded it from PS+ with no real intention of starting another save... The result, I'm on NG+3, just killed OoK first try (took me about 10 tries on NG+2) and, unless any of the 3 remaining bosses convince me otherwise, I'm seriously considering NG+4, pile of shame be damned.

• Upvote 1

New Game ++++++. Once you finish the game, it restarts (NG+) with your current character stats and equipment (you lose some objects, key to the story progression), but with increasingly harder enemies and bosses. You could keep at it indefinitely, but the difficulty maxes out at NG+6.

It depends what you’re going for. I think with decent stats taking only the critical path I could probably do NG+ in a few hours, assuming I skipped everything non essential and ran through all the areas. When I got to NG+5 though I found that bosses I’d never had trouble with before were causing me a lot of problems, and I ended up doing optional ones so that I wasn’t fighting tough versions of them for the first time in NG+6 at max difficulty. After doing that though, most bosses, areas and weapons feel pretty natural and easy, except the bastard hard DLC.

OK, I need some explanations here please!

Just went to do the first boss again, and wanted to summon the NPC to help me. With 2 annoying teenagers around I got confused and ended up ringing what I presume was the wrong bell, and 2 people were summoned, one of whom really helped me take down the boss, in that he did most of the work! Result!

So I headed back up to the first lamp but more people kept getting summoned! Is that the way it works? How long does the effect of the bell last? Very confused

It should stop after you beat the boss, as far as I am aware.

Always shout in here if you need help, I love an excuse to play this.

Cheers. Thats why I thought it was weird, it was still summoning after the boss was down and I had headed back to the lamp. I couldn't use the lamp to get to the Hunters Dream either which was weird