Bloodborne - GOTD edition

Almost certainly nothing at all...

I'm not in a position to talk about a possible release of 'Bloodborne II'. However, we love 'Bloodborne'; that's why this easter egg has aroused so much curiosity. But, I repeat, it's not a 'Bloodborne II' notice. It's just something that we explored among ourselves, because we love 'Bloodborne'.

Deracine Spoilers

Spoiler

Last question, coming from a fan, and you can answer with a yes or no. It goes with spoilers. In 'Deraciné', Yuliya, the sick girl, has some toys that are clearly related to 'Bloodborne'. The names of his friends, Laurent, German, also have a lot to do with 'Bloodborne'. The books they read, as well. Is 'Bloodborne' the fevered delirium of a dying girl? Is the dream of the hunter his dream?

[Kitao and Miyazaki look at each other. They start laughing. They speak briefly. Then, answer.]

Okay, yes. Actually, this is exactly the conversation that my team and I had. It's the kind of conversation we keep during development, because there are Easter eggs ... However ... The easter egg in itself is not indicative that we are going to launch 'Bloodborne II'. I'm not in a position to talk about a possible release of 'Bloodborne II'. However, we love 'Bloodborne'; that's why this easter egg has aroused so much curiosity. But, I repeat, it's not a 'Bloodborne II' notice. It's just something that we explored among ourselves, because we love 'Bloodborne'.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/a2g5ep/miyazaki_talks_about_the_bloodborne_easter_egg_in/

Original Spanish article

https://www.xataka.com/videojuegos/hora-padre-dark-souls

I have gone back to this to get that last trophy. Defiled amygdala took a lot of attempts, but I always felt like it was doable, just no room for error. 

Pthumerian descendent on on the other hand I really hated. Feel like I just got lucky in the end. 

Two layers to go now. I do wish the chalice dungeons were more fun. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm planning to try and play through this before the holidays end, never played it before and I'm unlikely to have time for multiple play-throughs. I read that the DLC is essential, so I'm wondering if accessing it is as obtuse as the Dark Souls DLC or will I be able to find it on my own? Don't want to spoil anything by looking it up.

49 minutes ago, Darwock said:

I'm planning to try and play through this before the holidays end, never played it before and I'm unlikely to have time for multiple play-throughs. I read that the DLC is essential, so I'm wondering if accessing it is as obtuse as the Dark Souls DLC or will I be able to find it on my own? Don't want to spoil anything by looking it up.

I looked it up before it even came out after Dark Souls' one was was so amazingly bizarre. I'm not 100% sure, honestly - the actual trigger is something you wouldn't think of doing in a billion years, but you get an item handed to you that might tell you exactly what it is that you need to do on it. Can't remember, but it's not something you'd likely figure out without a decent prompting.

It's easy to access, geographically, but it's very obtuse, really. As Kayin says, there's an item description clue but there is are so many abstract item description tidbits that I think you'd drive yourself mad trying to figure it out.

My advice would be to look it up once you feel you've probably reached a halfway point. You can access it fairly early on but that's for sequence breaking/suicide run stuff, really. It's proper endgame difficulty. 

11 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

you get an item handed to you that might tell you exactly what it is that you need to do on it. Can't remember, but it's not something you'd likely figure out without a decent prompting.

Pretty much this. There's a text prompt when you pick it up (unless it's since been patched out!) which is quite explicit, probably moreso than the item description. :) 

The other thing to consider is that the Old Hunters content is pretty hard and not something a new character should jump into, but you can travel to new locations from the Hunter's Dream whenever you like, so feel free to experiment.

I’m on NG++ and torn between getting the platinum trophy quickly by choosing the easy ending (last achievement needed but i’m only at forbidden woods so the end is a while away) but then having to go to NG+++ (or NG) to do the DLC or doing the DLC on NG++ first but delaying the platinum trophy by the time it takes me to complete the DLC... Any thoughts on what would be the best way to go about it?

• 2 weeks later...

I finally finished Bloodborne this week, after 4 tortuous months toiling away pretty consistently. I don't think I've ever played a game where I've been so desperate to see the credits roll. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it though (it's probably now in my top 10), but I don't think I've ever felt so conflicted about a game before. Here are some thoughts:

To put this in context, I'm pretty much a souls noob. I played Dark Souls back on 360 many years ago and gave up at the Gargoyles. I remember clearly one night where I got so utterly pissed off that I decided the game was flawed, failing to give the player adequate feedback on what they'd done wrong. I never even thought about playing it or a sequel again.

But fast forward several years and I had a chance to try BB, so I subjected myself to another night of misery trying to make it through the bonfire, with @Beezer(somewhat a soulsborne vet) chuckling in my ear, enjoying my suffering. I largely had the same complaints and didn't go back for quite some time. Another year on and I tried again, Beezer in toe again but offering a bit more advice. I made it through the bonfire, finished off a troll or two and something clicked.

Hardly plain sailing from there though (it took me 4 months remember). To be honest I very nearly gave up again on both Cleric Beast and Gascoigne. I couldn't quite believe how bad the camera was on CB and for a first boss I thought it was ridiculous how you were battling the beast and the camera on a narrow bridge. It must have taken me 30 attempts, but the rush of beating it was unlike anything I'd experienced in any other game. Similarly for Gascoigne - another 20/30 attempts, plus some advice to use the music box, but when he went down it was a total rush. I'd say from the moment of beating FG I was totally hooked and had to beat the game.

Despite this, I would say that FG in particular is poorly placed. I know I know...this is purposeful as a check to see if you're ready for what's to come. But I still think it's way too hard. It's such a step up from any other enemy you've faced. But then, would I have felt the same rush on beating him had he been easier? What is that rush? Is it a feeling of ultimate achievement or simply relief that you no longer have to do "that fucking fight" again? I'm probably leaning towards it being better if they'd made this fight slightly easier. 

Certainly there were other bosses I enjoyed a lot more than those two. I'd say Amelia was probably my favourite. Again, probably 20 attempts, but each one felt fair and each time I was learning and improving my game. 

But my major complaint is that some fights felt unfair in this game. Particularly fights which had very specific things you needed to do to make it possible, or considerably easier, to beat the enemy. There were a few of these but in particular I remember the hunter on the stairs in Bergynwerth and Logarius the boss of Castle Cainhurst. With the hunter, he can one shot you with an arcane attack if you get too far from him. That's fine (you have to stay close) but you don't actually know you can't escape that attack. And his whip attack naturally leads you to keep your distance. So I wasted a huge amount of time trying to dodge that, thinking I'd missed the timing. But by all accounts it is largely down to luck whether you dodge it, or partially dodge it, or whether it one shots you. I almost broke a controller on that fight!

With Logarius, you have to visceral him when he goes to buff before his second phase. If you don't do this you can't stun him anymore and it makes the fight ridiculously hard. In both of these cases I had to look up this information to progress and for me that's just poor design.

These moments (and there were others) soured the experience a little and so I consider this a classic, but one with considerable flaws. I have no issue going 100 times against a tough boss if I feel I'm learning something about how to beat it. But in these instances (and there were others) it just seems unfair to me. It just seems like poor design.

But maybe this is all part of the experience. The game is not just brutally hard in it's tough bosses and limited health etc, but also in its systems and its unknowns. You're left to figure it all out yourself and it creates an overwhelmingly oppressive feel to the whole thing. This is true of many aspects of the game, from the character and weapon stats, to even setting up a co-op game! 

Overall a fantastic game, a classic for sure. It made me feel strong emotions I hadn't experienced in other games: utter relief, elation and genuine fear and foreboding. The atmosphere is incredible, with so many moments to note (certainly the lead up to BSB being a standout).

But by God I was glad when it was finally over. 

Spoiler

Given the option to end it all I jumped at the chance and I have no regrets. I'll fight Gerhman another day.

• Upvote 9
  • Empathy 1

I can certainly sympathise with a lot of that. On repeated play throughs it was Micolash that emerged as the most stupidly annoying boss. I beat him quickly on my first run and thought it was quite fun. But then I started getting wiped out by that magic attack, and after chasing him around for ages every fucking time it really does become a nightmare.

Bloodborne does suffer from a few too many of the bosses being giant thrashing monsters that you can barely fit on your screen, let alone learn the moveset of.

Soulsborne games in general are usually better with the duel-type affairs - LM and OoK in The Old Hunters being good examples of this.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1
4 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I can certainly sympathise with a lot of that. On repeated play throughs it was Micolash that emerged as the most stupidly annoying boss. I beat him quickly on my first run and thought it was quite fun. But then I started getting wiped out by that magic attack, and after chasing him around for ages every fucking time it really does become a nightmare.

Micolash is one of my favourite bosses just for the change of pace. It's such a strange encounter.

• Empathy 1

I never got on with the way you can't rest/reset/level at lamposts, that trip back to the Hunter's Dream every time disrupts the flow of the game. Never understood why they ditched the Souls way.

And Micolash was a complete fucking dick. I ended up cheesing him from above during his second phase. Hated that fight.

Still haven't beaten Kos.

11 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

I never got on with the way you can't rest/reset/level at lamposts, that trip back to the Hunter's Dream every time disrupts the flow of the game. Never understood why they ditched the Souls way.

It's clearly a conscious design decision as both Dark Souls 2 and 3 also force you to return to the hub to level up, but I can't figure out From's motivation for it.

Although there's so few stats in Bloodborne that manually levelling up may as well have just been removed all together.

It seems to me that returning to the Hunter's Dream is used purposefully to give the player a break from whatever horror they are currently tackling. A bit like the long runs back to boss battles, it breaks the tempo. Personally it was always a welcome break.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

I did find it annoying to sit through the loading screens when visiting the Dream every time. But I understand why they force you to go back there. It's your Firelink Shrine - your safe hub - and they also drive the story from that location. If you never needed to go back aside from using the teleporting gravestones, later events in the story would have way less impact, and it would be easy to miss instructions that tell you where to go next. You have to wonder though whether the designers regretted this decision once they realised how long the loading times would be. I can only imagine how annoying it must have been when the loading times were even longer (before they patched it).

As for your big post Hylian, I mostly agree with your thoughts on the bosses. Bloodborne was my first Souls game as well and I got co-op help for quite a few of the Bloodborne bosses (which were still hard even with help), and I actually left the Cleric Beast until I was a much higher level. I beat Gascoigne with help after bouncing off him so many times. The reality is that both of these bosses make a lot of players simply give up on the game, which is a tragedy. Although Gascoigne is a good boss I think he could have been toned down a bit (maybe having a harder version you could fight later for the challenge), especially once he goes rage mode.

The Cleric Beast I just think is way too hard for the first boss that you'll encounter and its moves are hard to read/dodge due to its beastial nature and its massive size. It's a common complaint which Gary from bonfiresidechat podcast often rants about - that the beast bosses in Bloodborne have poor readability and size problems which make them difficult in a frustrating way. Dark Souls 3 also has a hard "gateway difficulty check" first boss but I found him way more fun and felt like I was making progress in my failed attempts, compared to Cleric Beast. The original Dark Souls' second boss can be very hard too, but there are multiple tactics you can use against him to even the odds. It's also unfortunate that a lot of players bounce off Cleric Beast and just give up on the game without even discovering and attempting Gascoigne (and by finding Gascoigne you should also have some better items/more level ups).

What's also really annoying about Cleric Beast and especially Gascoigne is that you need a significant run from a lamp to even reach the boss each failed attempt. It's my pet hate in Souls and does the game no favours for the first big difficulty walls in Bloodborne. Plus you have the long loading times every time you die. It's punishing in the least fun way possible. 

I struggled with most of the bosses in Bloodborne and the DLC and got through a lot of them with co-op help. When I played Dark Souls 3 as my second Souls game, after the first few bosses I decided to tackle them solo for the "true Dark Souls experience". That turned out to be an incredibly punishing time (especially as my character was a pyro with no shield), although some of the bosses were actually fun. But Bloodborne still seems like a step beyond in difficulty with the bosses, they are so fast paced and hard to read. One day though I would like to try the two best DLC bosses solo - but with no loading times/runs between attempts, as I think they're great bosses but I just didn't have the skills or patience for them at the time.

I do wonder how many new players to Souls were completely turned off the whole series thanks to Bloodborne's overly hard first town section and its first two bosses. Dark Souls 1 and Dark Souls 3 in comparison are way better at easing players in (if you ignore DS3's gateway boss!). I found Bloodbornes bosses to be cool and epic, but I enjoyed the exploration and regular combat much more than the bosses.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

I do wonder how many new players to Souls were completely turned off the whole series thanks to Bloodborne's overly hard first town section and its first two bosses. Dark Souls 1 and Dark Souls 3 in comparison are way better at easing players in (if you ignore DS3's gateway boss!). I found Bloodbornes bosses to be cool and epic, but I enjoyed the exploration and regular combat much more than the bosses.

I wasn't new to Souls when I played BB, but I certainly enjoyed BB a lot more (having bounced off DS1 and - at the time - not really tried the others.) It helps that I was keen on adopting a BB mindset rather than treating it like Souls. So - take advantage of the generous hitstun, abuse the rally system, enjoy the benefits of no hollow/human mechanics (no invasions for the most part, no health bar reductions, fewer summoning penalties (you quickly gain a lot of insight)), forget about equip load woes, and so on. And it's the only Platinum or 1000/1000 I've ever bothered to get.

It might be worth recommending as an introduction, but it's definitely worth suggesting to any gamer who didn't get on with Souls games... because the specific things they didn't like in Souls may be different - or absent - in BB. I'm really interested to see how Sekiro goes down with various audiences - Dark Souls fans, Bloodborne enthusiasts, Tenchu geeks and people who have no history with any of those games :D 

• Upvote 1
On 10/01/2019 at 08:10, Hylian said:

Hardly plain sailing from there though (it took me 4 months remember). To be honest I very nearly gave up again on both Cleric Beast and Gascoigne. I couldn't quite believe how bad the camera was on CB and for a first boss I thought it was ridiculous how you were battling the beast and the camera on a narrow bridge. It must have taken me 30 attempts, but the rush of beating it was unlike anything I'd experienced in any other game. 

In three playthroughs I've never been killed by the cleric beast and I'm not exactly an elite player :huh: Must have acquired decent general Soulsbourne skills over the years!

• 1 month later...

Man this is fucking brilliant. Playing on PSNow through a PC which isn't the best way to experience it but holy shit it's good. At the Nightmare of Mensis now and have killed all the optional bosses. 

In general I've managed to kill most bosses in one go which is nice. Bar Father Gascoine, Rom, and Amygdala. I have no idea how I've managed that mind. Ebrietas and Logarius almost had me. Still have the Bloody Crow to go as well. 

Get murdered quite regularly in the non boss bits though. 

Mainly rocking a +9 Ludwig's and Saw Cleaver with a bit of Rifle Spear for range. Quality build. 

PS Now is a bit shite mind. Only recognises the controller every so often...

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, El Spatula said:

In general I've managed to kill most bosses in one go which is nice.

Not solo surely?!

As, as far as I can remember,  I was unable to kill a single boss on my first attempt. It'd take a few goes (sometimes many ore than a few) just working out their moves and weaknesses before I even had a chance. Redoing them with summons on a later run through made most bosses pretty trivial though.. 

It's certainly possible to finish off bosses first time solo. I managed the Witch of Hemwick but she is pretty easy, Micolash too although in retrospect I got a bit lucky there and Darkbeast Paarl as I met him quite late in the game. Ebrietas, although I've never found her that tricky. Nearly killed Rom on my first go too but then took another 25 or so attempts to finally put him down.