Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

Oh nice!! There are so many weapons, they're all great in their own way.  Ludwig's Holy Blade was my favourite.  The Saw Cleaver is probably the most versatile in the game, too. 

You've still got the DLC to do, right?  It increases the length of the game by about a third.  And I'm guessing you missed Cainhurst and the Upper Ward.  Tons of great stuff left to find during your revisit!! 

If you're after a hint for the DLC location:

Spoiler

It's near Oedon chapel. 

Spoiler

And it's similar to how you get to

Spoiler

Nightmare Frontier

1 hour ago, dood said:

Oh nice!! There are so many weapons, they're all great in their own way.  Ludwig's Holy Blade was my favourite.  The Saw Cleaver is probably the most versatile in the game, too. 

You've still got the DLC to do, right?  It increases the length of the game by about a third.  And I'm guessing you missed Cainhurst and the Upper Ward.  Tons of great stuff left to find during your revisit!! 

If you're after a hint for the DLC location:

Reveal hidden contents

It's near Oedon chapel. 

Reveal hidden contents

And it's similar to how you get to

Reveal hidden contents

Nightmare Frontier

I missed Cainhurst, but did find the Upper Ward. It's quite vexing, as the castle is clearly visible from near the witch's house and I still have no idea how to get there.

Just now, Mr Cochese said:

I missed Cainhurst, but did find the Upper Ward. It's quite vexing, as the castle is clearly visible from near the witch's house and I still have no idea how to get there.

Hehe.. Gentle hint?  Click below:

Spoiler

Revisit the Woods and be thorough!

Ooh, we're doing favourite weapons? Hard to say. LHB and the Hunter's Axe are fun just because anyone can get to grips with them and they're nearly always viable options... but I probably got the most satisfaction out of the Reiterpallasch (which I used a Blood Rock on) in my Skilltinge playthrough. Too bad you don't get it until halfway through the game...

Special mention to the Whirligig too; it seems gimmicky at first but after upgrading it's a lot of fun.

3 hours ago, dood said:

Oh and @Mr Cochese, how many bosses did you fight in the Upper Ward..?

I think I know what you're talking about, and I was stuck on it for three nights until I figured out how to dodge a particular attack.

I'm still going to try to work things out for myself this time round. I always end up spoiling/having spoiled major secrets in Souls games by reading too much, but I've been super disciplined with Bloodborne.

41 minutes ago, Broker said:

God the One Reborn is ludicrously easy, even on the higher difficulties it's simple to defeat. It just moves so slowly.

Lol, looks like I'm the only one who had difficulty with it.

A while ago when we were doing the "rate bosses from hardest to easiest" I think TOR was near the easy end for me. Rally/regain negates pretty much any damage you'll take, so you can just hack at him up close until it's over.

Is a call beyond killing you in one shot? Because I find that it's one boss fight where having a summon doesn't help much, as he'll do that and kill you both.

The key is to stay as close as possible to him so he doesn't activate it. When you drop in don't do a plunging attack, roll towards him and then stay very close, moving around him and hitting when he uses the tentacle hand or tries to punch you.

Yes, his call beyond is one shotting me. Thanks for the tips, I'm going to try to take him down today. Might grind and level up my HP first. 

I've seen a cheese method where you can shoot him from the hatch or hit him with poison knives from above, thats's not very satisfying or noble though. I want to cut this bastard open with my Saw Cleaver.

It's the universal truth of Bloodborne that the one boss you find a total bastard, a procession of people will come in saying how they one shot him. I breezed past Micolash until New Game 3 when he was just a total bastard - I ended up using the poison knives from above cheese as A Call Beyond would just one shot me in the last phase every time. 

I started playing Bloodborne last week following Dark Souls 1-3 play-throughs over the last 18-24 months.

As a Dark Souls player who always relied heavily on my shield and very rarely parried, it's taken a bit of getting used to. I still find myself instinctively trying to raise a non-existent shield when I'm surprised by an enemy. But I'm really enjoying the fact that I've had to mix up my play-style and learn new techniques.

I was never great at the bosses in the Souls games and would more often than not, resort to summoning in help after a few unsuccessful attempts. With this, I've told myself that I need to try harder to take on the bosses alone and really make some effort to figure them out. So far, three bosses down and trudging onward.

This is me just about beating Father Gascoigne by the skin off my teeth. This felt like such a frantic, scrappy battle, that I felt lucky to have won. His pace of attacks is just relentless and my visceral attack timings are shocking, but I manage to get a few in:

Then there's the slower, more measured battle with the Blood-starved Beast. With far more time to take stock between attacks, I just took my time with a two-handed axe. Still not great, but I beat him:

Nicely done on Gazza and the Blood Starved Beast there, easily two of the hardest fights in the game, especially as they're so early and you've barely levelled yet. How many tries did they take you? I shamefully cheesed Gascoigne with molotovs when he got stuck on a gravestone, BSB took me weeks of returning to the fight and getting my arse handed to me. Now I help out other players there all the time, my +9 Whirlygig (the pizza cutter weapon) with fire paper destroys the BSB. It makes the fight against him look and sound outrageous, the flames and sparks, the sawing/cutting sound, the beast screaming, the music. Just amazing.

I can't wait to see what From do next.