Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

I'm so close to the end I can smell it (or possibly my apartment has a gas leak).

Managed to finish off the Defiled Chalice last night - though Defiled WotOL and Defiled A were hard, I managed to come up with decent strategies eventually. Apart from the sheer amount of damage they can do (luckily my vitality was high enough that they couldn't really OHKO me, though they would get me down to a slither of health), they weren't impossible. For Defiled A, when it leaps, if you just stand still, you get a few hits at its head. Just a matter of staying behind it and baiting it to jump, but not so close that you get hit by its long range attacks.

Did the Lower Loran chalice too, so now it's just the Great Ithyll one or whatever. Up to the first layer boss, and died on my first try. Will go back to it tonight.

Is there any reason to do the Isz Chalice?

After that, it's just the final parts of the DLC and the final boss. Should hopefully get it done before Dark Souls arrives.

16 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Killed the boss at the end of the nightmare frontier on my first go! Yusss.

All I got was another stupid chalice <_<

I've actually just started the dungeon that Chalice creates and you get a lot of echoes and some cool gems from the enemies within.

Slightly disappointed that the Uncanny and Lost versions of weapons are exactly the same base weapon with just different shape gem imprints! Also I thought I had created a Depth 4 Pthumerian Chalice but I only created a Depth 3 fetid one and now I don't have enough Bastard of Loran to create the Defiled Pthumerian chalice :(

Does defiled mean half health? If so that's a bit of a shitty way to make the game tougher.

11 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Is there a point of no return before I can't access the DLC? I think I've only got Nightmare of Mensis to do now.

I think you can access the DLC at any point, but ideally you'd want to avoid attempting it on NG+...

After NoM the doll will tell you what to do next and you'll just have one more boss sequence before the end of the game. Once you get there it's a good time to stop and consider the DLC - if you clear the final boss sequence it will go into a cutscene, then the credits, then onto NG+.

Got the dungeon trophy last night and finished the DLC. Just got to dust off the final boss and I'll be all done. Not expecting to have too many problems, what with me now being level 173 or something, on the base difficulty level.

Saying that, I have found over levelling to not make too much of a difference. It generally affects the damage you make more than anything, it seems, and bosses can still dish out hefty damage (though perhaps I can't be one-shotted as easily).

Tempted to go straight back in to New Game plus and get up to BLB again (I first started the game on launch and got up to about the halfway point of Cathedral Ward before getting distracted, so it's a bit of a distant memory). With Dark Souls on the way I'll probably play something that doesn't make me scream at the screen for a while.

Aaaaaaand that's the platinum trophy in the bag. My first platinum too, as I don't really bother with them usually, but I wanted to see everything the game had to offer, and a lot of unique bosses are stashed away in those chalice dungeons.

Unfortunately, for the defiled chalice I did grind to get my health up to 50 and get higher strength. As a result, though I was over leveled just ahead of the difficulty curve throughout the main story (just enough to stop certain bosses being frustrating difficulty spikes and to keep progress smooth), the final two encounters were ridiculously easy. Think I jumped something like 100 levels just by doing the dungeons.

I was level 173 in the end. That includes going through all the DLC too. The DLC proved much more of a satisfying challenge than the story's final boss. It was robbed of its epicness and satisfaction by my ridiculously high level.

Still, the game is probably one of my all time favourites. Will go through it again in New Game Plus at a later date. Now I sit and wait for Dark Souls to arrive from the UK.

Weirdly, I only got invaded once during the game, and that was during NOM when it forcibly opens you up. Was I doing something wrong and had an option unchecked or something, or was I just fortunate/unfortunate enough to not have it happen? The online doesn't seem dead...

You can only be invaded in a select few spots where there's a bell maiden (NoM, NF), or where you try to summon. As a result, most people will go through the game and only a see a few invasions at most.

I don't know why they made PVP so convoluted in Bloodborne. I think they wanted to move away from the heavy PVP-focus that had to some extent come to define the Souls games, which I know some people find off-putting.

But it's disappointing they didn't add something akin to Dark Souls' arena.

Ah that makes sense, as I thought it could just happen at any time. The two times I summoned an NPC it then said the woman was ringing the evil bell or whatever. I presume going through the fog door means an invader can't reach you?

I must admit, I don't regret the lack of a human player killing me at any moment, but it would have been nice to experience it.

So in Dark Souls, you can get invaded anytime? I didn't progress far enough in Demon's to witness it either.

That's right, once you go through the fog door, you're safe.

In Dark Souls, you can be invaded in any area where you haven't yet fought the boss, though you must be in human form. There's also an arena for PVP. It's easier to be invaded, but even in Dark Souls I found that invasions were quite rare unless you actively seek them out. There are only a handful of popular multiplayer spots.

10 hours ago, D.C. said:

That fight is much harder than the one in the main game in my opinion.

It was definitely tough, he killed me quite a lot before hand but at least I had some anti-poison/extra resistance runes to help his 2nd and third stages.

I went back to Old Hunters the other day after finishing Dark Souls 3. I'd given up on it after being stuck on Ludwig for too long, but predictably I took him out without too much trouble this time. The DS3 practice probably helped a lot. I made my way through the rest of the DLC and just killed OoK first try.

I realised I hadn't killed Laurence yet though (despite already picking up his skull) and he seems like a pain in the arse.

I really need some more Souls action now so I might pick up the first game as I've never played it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have decided, much to my own disappointment i might add, to take a little break from this once i finish the dlc (im in the last area now). 

i need to play something completely different, so i will be playing Lumo & possibly the division along with trying to put a dent in my pile of shame. 

:wub:

i'll be back though, still got a tonne to do!