Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

29 minutes ago, Fury.HD said:

I've reached the SoY boss. Took quite a long time to find my way through the level to the boss fight arena, but now I've opened the shortcut to it I can sprint there without stopping to fight anything in about a minute. Which is handy considering how many attempts I've had at the boss so far. Toughest boss since Father Gascoigne. I'll crack it though. Think I just need to slow down and focus on evasion a bit more. 

Hint if you want it...

I found focusing on the flameball guy at the back first helped me kill the others after

Alternatively ...

Spoiler

I've always gone katana guy, fire breath then fireballs. Keep fireballs on the other side of the rock and he never hits me. Has the advantage that in phase 3 you can basically go toe-to-toe with fireballs and keep him interupted so he never summons any giant snakes. His melee hits are weak so you get most of it back through regain.

And done. Didn't read any of those messages, thanks though. Funny how they just suddenly click. Didn't really struggle at all there, I did take the AI partner with me though. I focused on the two ranged enemies first, stayed in close and used the non tricked version of my weapon so as to focus on speed while my companion worked as a good distraction for the other one/two. 

Got the adrenaline going again. 

RtvS comes up every time. 50% of players kill her first time, every time (me) and can't understand how anyone could find it hard. 50% get so stuck they nearly give up on the game.

I exaggerate, but that's not a million miles from what people have said in this thread. The consensus seems to be that so long as you have enough HP to survive any of her so-called "one shot" attacks, you should be ok. In that sense she's one of the only bosses that you can actually level your way past. However, other tips seem to be:

- Ignore the small spiders. Run in, attack, run out. Roll dodge constantly. I always do this.

- Alternatively, painstakingly kill all the smaller spiders. I have never done this.

- When she does the AOE attack where meteors come from the sky, angle the camera up, and sprint diagonally towards her, rolling if necessary

- When she does the AOE attack where meteors come from the ground, get the hell away from her

- She is weak to bolt damage

- Alternatively, you can get up close and use the flamesprayer (the Kevvy Metal method)

That's about it really. I always run around and dodge like mad. If I can't see a small spider, I assume one is about to hit me and dodge anyway, as they can really hurt you.

Also, you probably noticed this already but during the animation where she starts to teleport you can still get hits in for a while, so don't stop.

But yeah, it's a really divisive boss in terms of whether to ignore/kill the smaller enemies, whether people succeed/fail the air meteors, whether to trigger the air or ground meteors, and so on. First time around I angled the camera up as Davros said and could easily see the paths of the air meteors, but on subsequent playthroughs I found the boss' close-range attacks even more straightforward.

I still don't think I'll struggle too much, only had two attempts, so I'll get there. Thanks for the advice though. Looking forward to seeing if there's a bit more exposition after I defeat it.

Personally I found that once I got her to 2nd stage she constantly spammed the meteor shower so I didn't have time to take out the underlings and if I got close then it was the AOE blast, just constant spamming, never an entry. I don't know, maybe I wasn't levelled enough, I've found the next 2 bosses I've fought much easier. Wish I had gone to Cainhurst before killing her actually in hindsight.

Phew.

Spoiler

Took the Shadow of Yarnham trio down on my second go, but it was very messy. Went through Byrgenwerth (that freaky centipede thing can GTFO) and managed to cheese the hunter there by pinning her in the narrow bit between the staircase and the wall. Killed the infamous Rom on my third attempt but I must have burned through a good 40 blood vials at least while doing so.

I'm now in an 'Unseen Village'. The moon has turned red and there's these massive freaky alien spider crab things on the walls everywhere, which surprisingly haven't tried to eat me yet.

I have to say I've more or less given up with the story. I have no idea who I am, how I got here, what's going on or what I'm supposed to be doing. I'm just blindly progressing forward to the next area and killing bosses along the way. I understood at the start that there was a disease which turned everyone into werewolves, and that the hunters go out to kill the werewolves, but I don't understand why the other hunters don't like me if we're on the same side, nor do I understand anything to do with 'Blood Ministration', or why everyone's insane. This travelling to another dimension thing do kill a spider made of shadows, coupled with a cryptic message telling me to 'seek the newborn' has now completely flummoxed me, and if I'm honest I've lost interest in trying to piece everything together because it's all just too obtuse. Is there a story guide I can read anywhere that won't spoil what I've yet to get to?

I on the other hand would recommend you try working it out as best you can while you're still playing it. Half of the fun I had in Bloodborne was being lost as shit and trying to make sense of the madness and the world. It'd seem a little shallow to me to go through the game without any context for what you're doing (even if it's a batshit and very incorrect concoction you've clumsily mashed together, as was the case with me).

For me there was more than enough depth to the gameplay and world construction to not feel like I needed to make sense of the story, but it's nice that it was there to delve into when I wanted to. In fact I think that most people would agree that this is the beauty of Fromsoft's storytelling - it doesn't ram it down your throat with long expository cutscenes, and you can still get a tremendous amount out of the game whilst pretty much ignoring it.

I haven't finished the game yet and haven't really encountered any spoilers for the story, but I kind of get the feeling that you're supposed to be wandering around completely confused by everything that's going on. 

Here you go, not sure if this is considered cheesing but keeping him on the stairs was the only way to stop him being so bloody aggressive as he is super hard, can kill you in 2 hits no probs, he killed me 7 times in a row before this fight and only one of those did I manage to actually do him much damage.

I love the hunter battles, too. You can learn the movesets for most of the bigger bosses quite easily, but some of the hunters are really unpredicable.

BCoC is esp. tricky. I had a dozen or so attempts against him during a no-levelling run and eventually learned that the only really safe way to approach him is to only attack when he two hands his weapon. Go for him at any other point and he'll just counter with his repeating pistol, which is lethal, and pretty well impossible to dodge if he does it while you're coming out of an attack.

Hmm, Covenant spoilers

I joined the Vilebloods as hell why not, then I joined Eileens crew by defeating that hardcore hunter and then I went to see Alfred and gave him the summons but I didn't want to the Queen to die so I fought and killed him which was fun! Feel a bit bad now though.

Related covenant spoilers:

Spoiler

You can actually revive the Queen if he kills her, though, as with all things covenant related, it's pretty inconsequential whether you let him do so or not. You do get some extra dialogue. In fact, one of my favourite scenes in the game is when you find him in the throne room having killed her - you'll discover, how should I put it, that there's another side to noble Alfred's character...

19 minutes ago, SuperMBo said:

I am loving Minion's "Kill everyone" approach to the game - completely at odds with what I did on my first play through. 

Lol, I did accidentally kill the dude at the top of the elevator in The Forbidden Woods but apart from the other guy I just mentioned I don't think I've killed anyone who wasn't trying to kill me. It's a pretty hostile place Yharnam. 

10 minutes ago, Minion said:

Lol, I did accidentally kill the dude at the top of the elevator in The Forbidden Woods but apart from the other guy I just mentioned I don't think I've killed anyone who wasn't trying to kill me. It's a pretty hostile place Yharnam. 

Spoiler

I didn't directly kill the weird bloke on the top of the windmill on my first play through (although I lucked out and killed him in a round about way) and did you also attack Yosefka? I've never directly fought her. 

22 minutes ago, SuperMBo said:

Hide contents

I didn't directly kill the weird bloke on the top of the windmill on my first play through (although I lucked out and killed him in a round about way) and did you also attack Yosefka? I've never directly fought her. 

Oh yeah

She was trying to kill me though! She was f'ing hard, she killed me repeatedly. I went back as suggested and killed her whilst she was moaning about the disease or some such and completely helpless, felt a bit cheap. Wish I had got her before though, the environment in which the fight takes place makes it very hard though. Next time maybe....

Right I'm going to check out Upper Cathedrial Ward next, the Nightmare zones don't exactly sound enticing.