Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

Yeah that door opening after BSB is probably the most obscure progression point in the whole game tbh.. 

@Garwoofoo have you done Amelia? I presume you must have.  Have you found a man behind a door who asks for a password? That's the way you need to go next.  

If you don't have the password.. Again its easily missed.. 

Spoiler

You have to 'examine'  the altar in the Amelia boss room, you get a cutscene which inexplicably gives you the password. 

Good luck! 

I've done Amelia, got the password (or at least watched the cutscenes) but have no idea where the man behind the door is. Must have missed that! There are still a couple of areas I have yet to explore around the village and the gaol though so I'll head off in that direction next. 

Started playing again. Just defeated HW on my second attempt. Felt a bit of a cheap fight at first, but I enjoyed it in the end and it was nice to fight someone smaller than me for once! Had enough blood to level up four times when I returned to the hunters dream. 

Could someone give me a brief non spoilery primer on insight. I'm not sure what to do with it. I understand the higher it is the stronger some enemies are, is that right? In that case should I be trting to keep it low? Also I think you spend it to summon people into your game. Is that just a temporary spend which you get back when they leave,or is it permanent? Then you can spend it on items in the hunters dream too, which must be permanent. Really I just want a general idea of how it works and what it's for as I think n I'm getting quite far into the game and still don't really understand it. 

I've played a bit more and have got to the BSB. I got him down to about a third of his health on my first go with Alfred's serving as a distraction, but as soon as he snuffed it the boss made short work of me. Looking at a few guides,

Spoiler

I learnt that he's an optional boss, but I'm really not sure where to go when (and if) I kill him as I think I've been everywhere in the Cathedral Ward already.

Also, unless I'm missing them, there don't seem to be nearly as many weapons or armour sets compared with DS. At the moment I've got my Saw Cleaver upgraded to +3, but it's the same weapon that I started the game with. I've found two spears (Saw and Rifle), but the former seems too slow and the latter I haven't got enough Bloodtinge to use. There are a few different weapons available from the messengers in the Hunter's Dream, but their stats don't seem to be as good as my Saw Cleaver's. Is there any reason to switch yet or will the Saw Cleaver see me through for the time being? I also always tend to use the Saw Cleaver in the extended form for the longer reach, but I read something earlier that says you should only use the more powerful form for bigger enemies - is this right?

Would like to hear a bit more about insight as well if anyone can.

@Jamie John

I did the BSB last night and as far as I can tell he isn't optional, you need him dead to open a door in Cathedral Ward.

I'm also with the Saw Cleaver to, like you I've not seen many other weapons on the go but I really like it so in no rush to change.

Regarding weapons you should soon be able to purchase a Sword weapon which I have been using since being able to purchase it, if I recall you pick something up, not available until you've defeated BSB or bought that key for 10k echoes. I would like better armour and weapons though, I might have to try the Threaded Cane after fighting someone who was using it, and @LongHairStu had an awesome looking axe thing when he helped me with BSB. Pretty much all the armour I've got is pretty poor defensively but good at poison or fire resistance, I've been using the Charred Hunter set and a hat from a Hunter I got for bloody ages now, I feel like I deserve something better, particularly after some of the enemies I found in the area I was in yesterday.

I would also like to know more about insight, I've deliberately kept it low as I read that at 15 enemies get harder, I don't need that! But am I missing out on something? A sucker took 4 from me last night, bloody mo-fo! Hate those things.

@memories Well done with BSB, I really couldn't do him at all!

Killed BSB on my second go. Huzzah!

Am now deeper into the Cathedral Ward getting scared by all the masked chaps who are bigger than me.

Questions:

What happens when you pick up blood vials or silver bullets when you already have twenty in stock?

I've picked up a few runes but I'm not sure what they're for. Will this become clear?

Finally, should I use the chalice I got from BSB? Does it just allow you to access challenge dungeons as an added extra? Is this best saved until the post-game?

Surplus vials and bullets go to a storage area in the Hunter's Dream (inside, where the little workshop etc is.) Runes are equipped at a similar bit near that area, but you need a key item from a boss before you can do this. And yes, the chalice is used to create chalice dungeons when you have the right materials (you can buy basic ritual blood from the bath messenger in the dream.)

Chalices are used to create entrances to Chalice dungeons at the set of tombstones leading up and round to the left when you're stood near the doll. For each type you need a chalice (which either drops from a boss in the game or from within a chalice dungeon itself) and then a certain number of materials - you'll come across some of them (like Tomb Mould, Severed Eye etc) on your normal play through and a load drop within the Chalice Dungeons themselves. Some of them are pretty rare.

There are a number of set dungeons, which are the same every time, and then you can generate random ones. If you get a good random one (i.e. it contains high end gems or whatnot) then you can share it - Reddit and other places have lists of good Chalice dungeons that people have generated and shared. 

In general, the Chalice Dungeons are ok - people tend to do them either to get the platinum or to farm high end gems. The most common complaint is that, even in the set dungeons, the level design isn't that interesting. They range in difficulty from dead easy (you tend to not go in until you're vastly over levelling the early ones) through to some of the hardest normal game content. I liked them in a fairly mindless way - they follow a common pattern and it was only the bosses that were sometimes challenging (and some of the Chalice bosses are total gits - there are some Chalice Dungeon unique bosses and even the recurring bosses from the main game are usually harder).  

Insight has several effects:

- You will see things in the world that would otherwise be invisible. For that reason it can be quite fun to max it out, at least for your first run through the game. For example...

Mad Ones, who are the mobs in the Witch of Hemwick boss fight, will appear in Hemwick Charnel Lane as a standard enemy if you have a certain Insight level

- It makes you more susceptible to Frenzy, an annoying mechanic you guys probably haven't seen yet

- It allows you to summon NPCs

- You can spend it at the Insight shop

Some of the Insight effects are quite cool, but once you've seen them once there's no need to run a high Insight level. I usually save all my Madmen's knowledges until I have enough to buy whatever upgrade material I need, then spend them.

I need to chill, going to sit on the beach for a bit, enjoy the last day of nice weather, like I said if anyone is interested in killing spiders at some point in the future let me know :)

Cheers

That boss is the definition of marmite - it's almost a 50/50 split on whether people found him the easiest boss in the game or the hardest.

I always tend to clear the first set of spiders, use a bolt paper and wail away, then ignore spiders in phase 2 and 3, reusing a bolt paper if I needed it. 

3 minutes ago, SuperMBo said:

That boss is the definition of marmite - it's almost a 50/50 split on whether people found him the easiest boss in the game or the hardest.

I always tend to clear the first set of spiders, use a bolt paper and wail away, then ignore spiders in phase 2 and 3, reusing a bolt paper if I needed it. 

Yeah he's a bitch, I'm not sure how people found it easy, they must be lucky with the arrangement of the underlings, I can get him to 2nd phase easily and once got him to third but he has such cheap arse defences, it doesn't really feel that fair.

I wonder if it's a strength / dex thing (played too much DS3, can't remember the stats in BB offhand). I always found him pretty straightforward but I was straight dex - lots of hits and combos, plus bolt paper buffing every hit, so was pretty mobile and didn't need to stay near him for too long to feel I'd got 'value' for that opening. Perhaps strength people get a tougher time from having to commit more to an attack / be stationery.

This could be total bullshit. 

4 minutes ago, SuperMBo said:

I wonder if it's a strength / dex thing (played too much DS3, can't remember the stats in BB offhand). I always found him pretty straightforward but I was straight dex - lots of hits and combos, plus bolt paper buffing every hit, so was pretty mobile and didn't need to stay near him for too long to feel I'd got 'value' for that opening. Perhaps strength people get a tougher time from having to commit more to an attack / be stationery.

This could be total bullshit. 

I've got 26 in both and also a rune that increases max stamina by 10%, I can damage him but in the later phases I struggle to get close or if I do I get mobbed, he also has his aoe attack which gets me, actually I think it's a she, female spiders are always worse than the males! I;ve been using bolt paper and also the tonitrus at points.

2 minutes ago, LongHairStu said:

I can be on at about 10 tonight, if that's any good?

Believe or not I have a date tonight! Yes I am shocked too. Thanks for the offer though :)

Maybe at the weekend if you're around, I'll keep trying, I'm watching tennis right now but I can't stop thinking about this bloody game!