Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

Are all the bosses so big? It's when I'm really close I can't see what her hands are doing. TBH I've always struggled a bit wiht TP games (Dead Space gave up after the first level due to the camera) but this one is fine, I just think I'm not particularly good at dealing with huge screaming beasts. I'll get her, like I said I almost had last night.

10 minutes ago, Minion said:

Are all the bosses so big? It's when I'm really close I can't see what her hands are doing. TBH I've always struggled a bit wiht TP games (Dead Space gave up after the first level due to the camera) but this one is fine, I just think I'm not particularly good at dealing with huge screaming beasts. I'll get her, like I said I almost had last night.

Not all of them :) but yeah I do know what you mean. It's why I liked the double handed axe for its reach. So I didn't have to be too careful with where I was aiming or where everything (including myself) was while the camera swings around. But their size does make them hard to read and predict attacks sometimes. I really don't like how loose the lock on is in the Souls games as well (e.g. those moments where you roll under the enemy and it locks off), but I guess that's deliberate design. All part of the challenge.

1 hour ago, Minion said:

How did you find the Vicar? I've cheesed the game a little I feel to get to level 50 and a +6 Ludwigs Blade. I mean I almost had last night on my 4th try so I reckon I can get her but just wondering how you found the fight with her?

Much easier than Blood Starved Beast.  I did it on my second try with just the summoned NPC for company, and even survived a weird glitch that had all my movement inputs registering as the same direction for about ten seconds (so I ran into the wall constantly until I got hit, which seemed to reset it).  The biggest pain with Vicar Amelia is the lengthy run to the boss from the Cathedral Ward lamp.

Nah, I got lucky.  Normally I have the same problem as you do, get up close to the big beasts and I can't even tell which way round they are, let alone mount any kind of effective attack.  If you want any help with Vicar Amelia (or any other boss) from someone who's just as shit as you then feel free to add me on PSN and I'll be happy to pop in and we can mess it all up together. :)

Cool thanks Gar! We used to be friends on XBL and probably still are actually (old Guardian gamesblogger) not sure if I've got you on PSN but will add you if not. I am however kind of determined to try and get her by myself after Long Hair Stu sorted out BSB for me. I may be saying something different if she's not dead by the weekend though.

She be dead!!!!

Yes that felt good! I was using my blade two handed for most of the fight but actually when I switched to one hand and the flame sprayer she was in trouble! I thought I'd screwed it as she had a sliver of health and started reviving and I took my opportunity to heal myself and then she started battering me again but then I got my head together and said NO I will not be beaten, ran behind her and sprayed and sprayed until she burnt to death. Hell yes! I just interacted with the alter and I did not understand the cut scene, I'm too elated.

18 vials I used! Close one.

I worked out how to save and upload a video too so that is to come...

And here it is, I was so close to dying many many times, just watching it back gives me the chills. It seems to be only in 360p, is this standard for YT uploads from PS4 or is there a setting I should have amended?

Edit: It's Youtube thing, it renders the better quality after uploading the crappier one!

Nice! You did well to keep your composure and survive several rounds of her healing - my usual reaction is "shitshitshit I've got to get in and- ack I'm dead" :D

I think with the Youtube uploads the video can still be "processing" even when your video manager says it's done, so if you wait a little longer the HD options eventually show up. :)

2 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Doesn't Gilbert give you the flame sprayer gratis?

And great work against Amelia! She can be very intimidating.

Ahh yes that's where I got it!

Thanks, she has some brutal attacks if they connect but I found her easier than BSB as he would just run away and when he went mental I had no idea what to do. I felt like I had a lot of time to heal and back off and think with her. I still made tons of mistakes though.

Fantastic stuff Minion, the apprentice becomes the master... ;)

I found Vicar Amelia very intimidating for a long time, I don't think I beat her solo till NG++! NG she glitched and I had to kill her as she just stood there, NG+ I had help. NG+++ I destroyed her quick time. But when I took a new character in - the one who helped you with BSB, pre Whirligig days - she took a good few attempts to take down. She's one of the best bosses, for my money, and I love nipping back and helping others with her.

2 minutes ago, LongHairStu said:

Fantastic stuff Minion, the apprentice becomes the master... ;)

I found Vicar Amelia very intimidating for a long time, I don't think I beat her solo till NG++! NG she glitched and I had to kill her as she just stood there, NG+ I had help. NG+++ I destroyed her quick time. But when I took a new character in - the one who helped you with BSB, pre Whirligig days - she took a good few attempts to take down. She's one of the best bosses, for my money, and I love nipping back and helping others with her.

Thanks Stu! Watching you in motion definitely helped, I realised I had to be aggressive, smooth and quick, just like a cat! Not sure I was in the video but I was definitely determined, you gave me the confidence to march on.

Quick NG+ question, I sort of rushed through the latter part of the game without really knowing what I was doing and thus have started NG+ only with a +9 weapon. I assume there's no way to get the item needed for +10 until I now reach that point in the game again?

It's weird that they're not showing up in the insight shop for you, as I thought that insight shop items carried over between playthroughs. Maybe you have to have found one before they'll show up?

I picked up quite a few blood rocks during the time I spent in the chalice dungeons, so if you've any intention of doing the chalices, now is as good a time as any. Here's a list of root dungeons with top-tier gems and loot, including blood rocks:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1q9enxffA3dyKGu6IVg-P4IVgmKSUYSP9UOOiThHmPIU/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0

48 minutes ago, Minion said:

What's a chalice dungeon? I assume the thing I got when @LongHairStu killed BSB for me (The Pthumeru Chalice) enables me access to one? Do I want to go there now? Just lit the lamp in Forbidden Woods and gone no further.

it does, but if i were you, just crack on into the woods... 

good luck...

:D