Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

Re: DLC - I did everything (all optional areas etc. No chalice stuff) but the last couple of normal bosses before going in. Think I was about level 70 or so.

Re: FG - you're now good enough to finish the game :D If you can do him you can do everything it throws at you. 

Well done Memories!

Just past FG is probably the point where I properly fell in love with the game. You're high from the victory, and suddenly the game world opens up hugely, with several routes to investigate. It's a pretty big reward IMO.

As SuperMBo says, if you can beat FG you can beat anything the game throws at you.

Great post memories

2 hours ago, memories said:

What is that about though? Why would you put such a hard enemy so early in the game? is that a carry on from the Souls series?. I'm loving the world that’s been created and I think it’s the thought of what I would be missing out on seeing that kept me going but how many folk must have been in the same situation as me and just given up with it and will never see whats beyond FG. I get that for a lot of folk that whole situation is where the fun is but surely that put off more people than it attracts.

Firstly, FG that early on in the game is brutal, I agree, especially for new players to the series. I think these games being at this difficulty does really add something to them though. That experience you had, for example, you wouldn't ever have from a Zelda game. It sets up that atmosphere for the rest of the game, and puts you in the mindset that massive danger could be around any corner at any time. It's to try and scare you, to try and get the game into your head, almost to try and get to you, get you angry. It's part of drawing you into the game and making you more emotionally attached to it.

It's also to try and teach you about a) parrying, b) being mindful of scenery, c) getting away and healing up and finally, with the music box, d) that there is sometimes a way to cheese the game, or that if you think outside the box (sorry) that there might be another way, another path. Although, I do dislike the phrase "teach you" when people talk about this kind of thing, the game teaches you nothing, it just beats you over the head until you are forced to learn.

It's also not as hard as you think it is right now. You can almost trade blow for blow with him and then run away and heal up if you have enough vials and your weapon is +1. But yeah, like others have said, you're definitely ready for the rest of the game now. Whilst he's maybe technically not the hardest boss, I'd say if you take into account the level that you're probably at, and how accustomed to the game you are, when you face him, he probably is overall.

14 hours ago, JohnnyRyall said:

As Davros says, you can parry BSB. Otherwise, focus on getting behind him, where most of his attacks won't connect. Most of his powerful attacks are clearly telegraphed, except for one of his lunge and grab attacks which can be a bit tricky to spot (he'll sort of twitch before he does this).

Yeah I think getting behind him is key. He was the first boss where I could pretty much reliably read, and avoid, his attacks. Just remember to dodge multiple times to stay behind him when he does his 6-7 combo swipe attack. He's there for the taking after that.

I finished my first play through of DS3 last night so I think I'm going to go back to this.  I still have the dlc to do as I found it a bit too hard on NG+, planning to start a brand new character so I can go through it on the way.

BSB Twatted me a lot last night, I even changed to using the sword of the KirkHammer instead of my usual Saw Cleaver to no avail, the first half of the fight is fine, it's when he changes he goes mad, I get poisoned and then whilst trying to antidote myself he twats me to death. If I'm still no further by the weekend I might just buy the key, would people consider that cheating? I'm determined to beat him and not have to buy the key for 10k out of principle.

The start of the gave is very tough and I had similar experiences with FG - wouldn't like to count how many times I made that run across the bridge to try again.  but the sweaty-palmed frantic finish, almost losing it and euphoria of beating FG was one of the standout moments for me.

I'm playing through DS3 at the moment and I'm not sure if it's the game or the Bloodborne training but I haven't (yet) had the level of difficulty as I did at the start of BB.  Still enjoying it though I don't feel as invested in the world and feel same drive to explore and find out more as I did in BB.

See I didn't have half as much trouble with FG than I am having with BSB. He twatted me again earlier, I tried using the axe as it has a longer reach than the cleaver and the fight was going well until he changed and again just kills me, trying to cycle through all my equipment whilst running away is tough. Also I am rubbish at throwing things in this game, I virtually always miss with molotovs and urns.

5 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

That really is the key to beating him, IMO. When he raises his right hand for example - that's a very clear gun parry window.

Alright thanks man, will keep trying, I'm looking forward to having a whole day at the weekend to have a go rather than an hour here or there during the week.

54 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

That really is the key to beating him, IMO. When he raises his right hand for example - that's a very clear gun parry window.

Alright thanks man, will keep trying, I'm looking forward to having a whole day at the weekend to have a go rather than an hour here or there during the week.

Edit: Just got him down to his third form was doing really well, parried him quite a few times, but then he got me, it's when I'm trying to use the antidote to stop the oison he always gets me. Bastard! Almost.

I used my last one in that battle, just tried him again, down to half health super quick without a scratch, but then he jumped on me twice and killed me! lol. I've just farmed 11250 echos so will either level up or get some more supplies. I seem to have the worse luck though, as soon as I used the fire paper I could get a hit on him! I've gone back to the cleaver it's the weapon I know best, I like it's speed and it's buffed up as much as can be at this stage.

The key to BSB is aggression imo.

Spoiler

If you need to heal, go forward/around instead of back/away.  I wouldn't bother with parries, they're not essential by any means.  Use R1 > L1 > L1 > L1 for increased damage and stagger against him.  Fire paper if you have it.  Pungent blood cocktails can be useful too.  Keep up near him, wait for a Dodge chance, take it and get a few hits in.  If he ends up far away, close that distance!   When the poison comes, don't sweat it too much,  just keep in close and dealing occasional damage and you'll not even really be affected by it. Healing with a vial is quicker than using a poison cure.. 

9 hours ago, LongHairStu said:

I can get to that lantern if you want some 'help'! You still about? You've probably beaten him by now...

I certainly have not beaten him yet! lol, I would appreciate some help, I'll try him again tonight and then let you know, maybe we can arrange a time at some point over the weekend if he's still alive! Not sure if we're friends on PSN but I'll add you at some point today as WFH after popping to the dentist. Thanks

27 minutes ago, dood said:

The key to BSB is aggression imo.

Hide contents

If you need to heal, go forward/around instead of back/away.  I wouldn't bother with parries, they're not essential by any means.  Use R1 > L1 > L1 > L1 for increased damage and stagger against him.  Fire paper if you have it.  Pungent blood cocktails can be useful too.  Keep up near him, wait for a Dodge chance, take it and get a few hits in.  If he ends up far away, close that distance!   When the poison comes, don't sweat it too much,  just keep in close and dealing occasional damage and you'll not even really be affected by it. Healing with a vial is quicker than using a poison cure.. 

L1 is an attack button? What? It changes my cleaver and I've noticed it sometimes does damage but I didn't know I could use it in a combo!

I've tried the pungent blood but had more success with parries tbh. What I really need to do is parry him in his final stage as that is when he is causing me most damage and issues, the other two parts aren't so bad. I also need to dodge better. I think what happens is he turns into his final stage and I get ultra aggressive and stop thinking properly!

Yeah, doing L1 in a combo / right after a dodge does a transform attack, which changes the weapon between forms and does an attack. You can change transform attacks too as part of a combo. 

The advantage of a transformation attack is that it does huge amounts of stagger to the enemy, holding them in place longer. 

I'd second what dood suggests: stay close to BSB at all times and cycle around him clockwise. His normal right hand swing and dash will both whiff when you are point blank and you can get free hits on him. Watch for the tell before his grab - he freezes on the spot for half a second before pouncing, so keep a close eye on him and dodge behind him when he does it.

Dont back off to heal, get behind him or wait for him to dash away. 

35 minutes ago, Minion said:

I certainly have not beaten him yet! lol, I would appreciate some help, I'll try him again tonight and then let you know, maybe we can arrange a time at some point over the weekend if he's still alive! Not sure if we're friends on PSN but I'll add you at some point today as WFH after popping to the dentist. Thanks

L1 is an attack button? What? It changes my cleaver and I've noticed it sometimes does damage but I didn't know I could use it in a combo!

I've tried the pungent blood but had more success with parries tbh. What I really need to do is parry him in his final stage as that is when he is causing me most damage and issues, the other two parts aren't so bad. I also need to dodge better. I think what happens is he turns into his final stage and I get ultra aggressive and stop thinking properly!

Again, parries are too risky imo to try, especially in the last stage of the fight. He only has a few moves/combos!  It's about learning your counter attack opportunities, learning the start up animations so you can judge when it's your turn to hit. 

During the last phase he does have a tendency to just go crazy with the long combo, so take your time, when you get a chance, hit a couple of times, then focus on watching his next attack. Don't panic when your health is low.  If he nicks you during a combo and you have the opportunity, land a could of hits to reclaim some health. 

(did you know you get health back from attacking?) 

14 hours ago, Minion said:

Edit: Just got him down to his third form was doing really well, parried him quite a few times, but then he got me, it's when I'm trying to use the antidote to stop the oison he always gets me. Bastard! Almost.

Have you got any wearables that increase poison resistance? I found the key to that third form was just to take it slow, and try not to get poisoned at all, rather than accepting poison and then trying to antidote. So, get up close to him, get a couple of hits in, and then back off and wait for the poison cool-down to drop a bit. It's tough to keep an eye on in the heat of battle but I guess just try not to stay close to him for very long. IIRC he does an AOE poison thing that takes him a little while to pull off when in the third form, so just run away then and let the meter drop.

It really helps to have a weapon with reach for BSB as well, imo.

Edit: I realise the "take it slow" kinda contradicts other advice in here about being aggressive and staying close to him. That is what he's susceptible to, so it's why the third form is quite clever imo, it becomes about finding a balance between aggression and patience and sort of takes the battle in a slightly different direction than the other forms. I loved the BSB fight personally. You've got a decent space to fight him, the camera doesn't usually cause you problems (unless you find yourself behind the pillars), there aren't multiple enemies to worry about, and his attacks aren't as difficult to read as other bosses. A very honest Souls boss, if there ever was one :).

For BSB, parries are viable but they're a big risk if you just can't find the timing consistently. I've made about four characters now and I've had more success in some playthroughs than in others - sometimes I nail the counter every time, sometimes I can't get a single one. (With one of my later characters I ran the chalice version a few times just to try and figure it out :P ) I think there's a big lunging swing he telegraphs when he raises one arm, and that was one of the best opportunities to counter. Other than that, bring a bunch of antidotes...