Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

54 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

As I mentioned on twitter, now that BSB is down you might want to look into finding the Radiant Sword Hunter badge, which unlocks LHB in the messenger shop. I highly recommend it due to the moveset and transformed mode, but there are plenty of other viable weapons :)

got it! 

but where is the key for the door?

59 minutes ago, noob said:

got it! 

but where is the key for the door?

The door at the top of HCW? You won't have the chance to get that until much later in the game, so don't worry about that for now.

56edbd143056a_pJy0vO6-Imgur.gif.7531ca33

GtFH has well and truly expired.

I had a moment of panic after dying to MP immediately afterwards, thinking he might be back when I went through the fog door. But no, he's definitely dead:

Spoiler

A less than honourable way to end the fight, but I didn't trust myself not to mess up at the end, after repeatedly getting him down to an inch of life and then doing something stupid like jumping into his blunderbuss.

Between the couple of hours I spent trying to beat him the other night and the few hours spent this morning, I would guess that I spent a good 6-7 hours, if not more, on this one fight alone. I'm really not sure why I found him so hard. I felt like I knew how to dodge all his moves but he's just unbelievably tricky, and even after fighting him for hours he would often do something completely unexpected. You would learn to dodge one move, and find that in his third form the timing for the same or similar move had changed and you were now dodging directly into it.

Thankfully I was able to blunder my way through MP pretty quickly:

Spoiler

Anyway, that's me done - I think I need a break from Bloodborne.

Well done Johnny,  great work there :) GtFH is one of the toughest bosses for a Waste of Skin. You've done exceptionally well do floor the game like that. Don't worry about the MP fight, that's always a mess, and even more so for a low level character. 

Thanks, Polmon. He was definitely the toughest boss for me, by some margin. I also had my share of trouble with EDotC, the Bloody Crow and ML, but nothing like that. Funnily enough, I hadn't even really thought of him as being a tough boss. Before I started the run I was worried about facing bosses like MWN and Amy, but with their often slow and clearly telegraphed attacks these proved to be the easier ones.

If I ever fight the bastard again it will be how I fought him the first time, with an over-powered level 150 character with clawmark runes for mega parry damage.

Got my new game plus back on track today - it had fallen off the rails against fricking MHotN of all people, just constant A Call Beyond spam which would eventually one shot me (with 50 vitality and wearing full Choir gear). 

So I cheesed phase 2 with poison knives. And don't feel guilty in the slightest - he can go do one. 

I'd been umming and arring about whether to go for the Blood Rock as I'd had such trouble with the Winter Lanterns on my first play through. However, whilst I was wearing full Graveguard gear last time, I didn't have the frenzy resistance rune as you pick it up behind those two snake balls in the Woods (and I didn't know about falling attacks so hadn't even attempted to get it). It makes such a difference - you can basically just tank the Lanterns grab attack as frenzy goes up so slowly you've still got time to use a sedative and then kill them before they grab again. So much time wasted when I should have just gone back and got the rune. 

Still you live (and die, and die, and die, and die, and die, and die) and learn. 

MHotN's arcane attack hits really hard. I died a few times to it on my recent run until I realised you can avoid it just by staying really close to him. If you're close enough, he will always use the tentacle attack or his fists, which are much easier to avoid.

so i decided to tackle the forbidden woods today, and managed to get through it. im NOT a fan of the snake head dudes at all... got quite lost for a bit then found both shortcuts which was good. 

then...

i got to the shadows of yarnham. eeesh! ive tried the fight now about four times. i keep getting massacred. i have been trying to focus on one at a time, namely the magic one first then the other two. 

but so far, i have almost killed one and just grazed the others. 

i have tried to ring my bell but nobody comes :( 

still, am chuffed that i have managed to get this far today :wub: 

went for a walk then came back and sat down to play a bit more. 

shadows of yarnham? done! 

now in byrgenworth. what on EARTH is going on? dont like the big fly things that jump you. got into the house and the dude inside killed me (not after chasing me about for a bit).

bloody hell...

:o

1 hour ago, Let us measure said:

Nice! Any idea where to buy it? Amazon has nothing, but is it US only for now?

Not out yet - I played an early prototype of it. CMON (the publishers) are looking at a Gen Con release, so July / August.

I completed another Cursed and Defiled Pthumerian run today with my DLC character as I was thinking of getting a recording of A using my super-slow and boring method that lasts longer than the 15-minute buffer on the PS4; sadly I lost sound on the recording because I hadn't reverted some settings on the Elgato but I have a reference clip to look back on. Anyway, the battle is becoming less scary through familiarity. Even if you do nothing but wait for the slam attack and hit an arm with a single overhead each time, it's a safe enough way to deal with the encounter, and when you replay it so much the startup animations for each attack are committed to memory so you rarely get taken by surprise. I think on one or two attempts I felt like the slow boring method could have beaten A without my character taking any damage, although that's just the mindset that the Cursed and Defiled penalty creates... ;)

(Unfortunately I don't have the footage anymore but I did have a great additional "outtake" where I had to leave the game for a call or something and so you just see my character standing still and getting flattened :hat: )

My second run through has stalled against MHotN.  I don't remember having much trouble the first time around but have been killed a few times in phase 2 and it's a bit of a pain getting back to that point.

In the chalices I beat the BB and YPQ which was really satisfying.  I enjoyed the YPQ once I got the mechanics but it was still a drawn out affair and quite tense at the end as I was out of vials.

I still haven't beaten AB in the Lower Loren Chalice - I think this is going to take some time.

1 hour ago, bagapeas said:

My second run through has stalled against MHotN.  I don't remember having much trouble the first time around but have been killed a few times in phase 2 and it's a bit of a pain getting back to that point.

This was my exact experience - he died second attempt on my first playthrough (I got lost trying to work out how to get into the room in phase 2 on my first attempt and got killed by some mobs on the stairs I thought I'd already killed as I didn't realise they went further down). New game plus - so many exploding stars! You'll be glad to know that after about the fifth death you no longer have to direct him, he just runs into the fighting areas. 

JohnnyRyall's tip sounds like a good one (further up this page) but I just poison knifed him from the balcony before he runs into the closed room. Two knives poison him, he runs about until it wears off and repeat. 

Byrgenworth is certainly different... 

The guy that comes running for you in the house, he is my sticking point atm. So, I am off farming some echoes to get a new weapon first. 

And what on EARTH is that see through thing outside the house?

Byrgenworth is SO over... 

blitzed through it, defeated Rom, got through yarhar'gul & killed the one on the first go. now i have arrived at the nightmare of mensis?

its arse achingly harder than anything before...

A big progress update (which I was going to post the other night, but couldn't, obviously!).

Took a break for the chalices to make my way through RH in DLC and tackle the first boss there. I had some real trouble with the Church Doctor hunter at the top of the RH. I must have died to him about 30 times before I managed to kill him. There's just so much scenery to get caught on while fighting him. It felt a little cheesy in the end, but I think I was justified given all the bullshit deaths I'd had from him.

The LFs boss was fairly straightforward. It would have been easier if I hadn't been rushing it (insisting on using BBPs to increase my damage output got me killed quite a few times), but I'm happy with the result. I decided to leave the next boss (LM) until a bit later, and returned to the chalices, but not before I went back to Forbidden Woods to tackle the new hunter that appears there. Only, I couldn't remember how to make him appear (and the guide wasn't much use). I figured I was going to need to 'complete' the League questline, so decided to do a bunch of co-op against the early bosses. FG being the first target. Poor FG, didn't stand a chance against end-game weaponry, even when I was playing fast and loose. There were quite a few runs where the hosts seemed thoroughly confused when he died so quickly :)

After that I got totally surprised by the new hunter at FW who one-shotted me in the back while I was looking around (cheeky get). I then respawned and did him over quite easily.

From there I took it upon myself to try the Isz chalice, which went very smoothly up until the Layer 2 boss, CE. Now, CE is normally a bit of a joke boss, in the main game you can totally gank him before he really gets to attack, but in the chalice he starts off transformed, and it turned out I have no idea what his moves are or how to avoid them. Cue many, many deaths while I learn how to actually fight him properly.

Next up was the Layer 3 boss, EDotC. Again, the approach using for the boss in the main game doesn't work here, as she has loads more health and moves around much more, and is generally a lot more aggressive. I had to learn how to deal with all her close range moves and discovered that standing directly under her left arm thing was the safest spot). Staying outside of close range was always too much of a gamble as the charge move would sometimes catch me unawares, and staying behind her often got me killed as she would one-shot me when she flew off to reposition. I eventually got my tactics down and got the execution right, but it was one hell of an arduous battle.

Next, I'm going to tackle Loran Darkbeast. Wish me luck!

Spoiler

Full playlist is here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvAoroVeLcGnOZtRTz8dplGn2a3fEpUL6

I was feeling a little burnt out yesterday after spending what felt like a lifetime smashing into Loran Darkbeast and making very little progress. I have some tactics, and I've learnt his moveset really well now (I can roll through the AOE quite consistently), but having to wrestle with the camera and fight such a tough boss was really draining, and I decided to take a break from him. This is the first time in this run that I've had to go and farm for vials etc as I'd chewed through so many (didn't exhaust my stocks, but went from 550 in the bank to 250 odd).

I ventured into the Pthumera Ihyll chalice instead, and made my way through to the first Layer boss quite easily (although there were a few really silly deaths along the way - which is fast becoming par for the course).

Pthumerian Descendent used to be one of my bogeyman bosses, but I learnt his moveset for the first encounter in the dungeons, and just had to repeat the same thing here. That said, he didn't consistently get interrupted by an R1-L1 combo like he did previously, so I quickly settled into a pattern of fishing for parries instead, and using a running R2 into L1 combo for max damage instead. This was a sound tactic and was working, but I wasn't managing my spacing very well and frequently found myself eating a boomerang sickle or occasionally getting boxed into a corner. As the evening burnt away yesterday, I was looking at the prospect of going to bed with no real progress to show for the day, until, on my last attempt I realised that there was a maximum range at which he would attempt the boomerang sickle, and outside of that he would just run or jump into normal range (in both phases) which was much more manageable. He fell on my next attempt.

Spoiler

Comedy death of the day:

I can probably go in and ring my bell as I've been running the chalices for a while. I'll be about this evening; just mention a glyph/password here or something (though my efforts to join private co-op aren't always successful as noob will attest...)

Generally for Amy I keep my distance and wait for the massive swings that take an age to recover from; typically when the arms come down and slam on the ground and stuff; you can get one or two overhead swings in, back off, wait again. The only other thing is that you kind of need to have a few bad attempts just to observe the different wind-up animations for each move so you know what's coming. Also, the jump attack can miss if you're perfectly still but you have to stop moving way in advance; again, reading the wind-ups helps...

Glyph is ayxgs267. I know how to fight Amy, it is the jump that kills me 100% of the time. Not encouraging, chipping away at her health only to die because of the jump.

Come one come all, everybody is welcome.

Hmm, yeah. No password as I - just discovered - "opened" the dungeon of someone else, a person named alienassassin123. Let me know if you can't join.

edit: Cursed Pthumerian Defilement layer three.