IGNORED

Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

Itching to join you all in the DLC again, but still only level 72 with sin game stuff to do.

Forgotten what a great little area Upper Cathedral Ward is. Those Brain Suckers though, man!

Ebrietas is being a bit of a bitch though.

I was at level 85 or so, maybe a little less, which was maybe a little high as the enemies in the first area didn't really offer too much resistance. I still need to go back to Upper Cathedral Ward which should be a breeze as I'll be in the mid to high nineties once I'm done with the DLC...

I'm going to ask a really daft, first time playing the game type of question.

I'm using the repeating pistol, have been for a while. The only issue is that it uses two bullets each time. I don't seem to be able to take on the strong hunters in straight fights but by parrying them I can. But I'm running out of quicksilver bullets pretty sharpish.

My question - if I go back to a single shot pistol, and upgrade it a bit, am I still going to be able to parry with the same regularity? I don't use the pistols to inflict damage, only to parry, so surely any gun would achieve that? I was thinking it would mean I'd get 20 goes at parrying instead of 10.

(apologies for this incredibly basic and convoluted question)

Just took down LMotAC...

Not as epic as I thought I was going to be, unfortunately.

I'm a big fan of the Mano o Mano fights but with his one it just wasn't clicking. I sat for a few sessions trying to learn her move set but wasn't having a lot of luck, it always felt like I couldn't quite get away.

So I went on the offensive, and noticed that she would consistently try to hit through my attacks before eventually disappearing to back off.

From this point she was screwed.

I would let her open herself up, attack twice then pause and look for a counter. I had like 80% success rate with this. Not only that, you can literally riposte her and as she's getting up, run at her, start attacking her again, rinse/repeat.

It's not 100% but it's definitely a viable method. If the riposte doesn't work, you will still stagger her so you he a chance to back off and go to neutral.

couple of attempts with this mind set and I had her fairly easily.

Still a good fight but not as epic as LtA.

I'm going to ask a really daft, first time playing the game type of question.

I'm using the repeating pistol, have been for a while. The only issue is that it uses two bullets each time. I don't seem to be able to take on the strong hunters in straight fights but by parrying them I can. But I'm running out of quicksilver bullets pretty sharpish.

My question - if I go back to a single shot pistol, and upgrade it a bit, am I still going to be able to parry with the same regularity? I don't use the pistols to inflict damage, only to parry, so surely any gun would achieve that? I was thinking it would mean I'd get 20 goes at parrying instead of 10.

(apologies for this incredibly basic and convoluted question)

Simple rule: Don't bother upgrading either of the starting guns. No point. It adds nothing. For the DLC Hunters and NPC's, use the Blunderbuss because the spread is a lot more effective for the parry, whereas the Pistol's single shot can sometimes miss.

I had a couple of cracks at the first DLC boss last night, just trying to look at his moves and see how to best avoid them, and not using any vials.

He's fast, and has a crazy reach, but I can see some useful attacks to bait, like his leaping one. But more worrying was that my +9 Saw Cleaver barely touched him!

Then I went and killed ToR first go. Not a great boss really that one. It looks impressive, but it's easy to just button mash through.

I had a couple of cracks at the first DLC boss last night, just trying to look at his moves and see how to best avoid them, and not using any vials.

He's fast, and has a crazy reach, but I can see some useful attacks to bait, like his leaping one. But more worrying was that my +9 Saw Cleaver barely touched him!

Then I went and killed ToR first go. Not a great boss really that one. It looks impressive, but it's easy to just button mash through.

Yeah, TOR, Amygdala, and even Paal to a slightly lesser extent are the most basic of beasts to beat. Just get underneath them and hammer away...

That first DLC boss is more of a challenge. Good luck!

I wouldn't say upgrading the gun is pointless. I've finished off bosses with an upgraded Hunter's Pistol, and regularly use it to take out normal enemies entirely (snake balls and cries spring to mind).

Re. gun upgrades - when I ran my Bloodtinge character I think it took me nearly the entire game to get the L-hand (gun) ATK value close to matching the R-hand (pointy stick) ATK value, and as I hadn't been putting points into strength or skill the R-hand value had barely moved anyway. A Bloodtinge character and upgraded gun (I used the pistol) can drop enemies in the early areas with one shot, but when you're trying to make progress repeated gunshots are like light attack combos with your R-hand weapon: you have to fire several times to combo attacks and do damage. The limited ammo is also a problem, and I found myself using R-hand weapons a lot, with my gun acting as a backup weapon.

Apart from when I killed the secret boss at the end of the base game with nothing but bullets, using blood bullets to reload my gun... :P

The game does tell you. Press Square for detailed info on all items. There are tutorial notes for every single game mechanic in the opening area, and in the Hunters Dream.

You are jumping to erroneous conclusions about how the game works, and basing your views of the game's quality on these erroneous conclusions. You don't need to grind, people do level one runs of these games. So your claim that the "grinding" is there just to artificially lengthen the game is wrong. And grinding will certainly not get you past Father Gascoigne! Who incidentally you can beat in 4 minutes from the start of the game if you know what you're doing. You need to level up your skills, this is not a game in which you can simply level up so much that you'll easily beat a boss.

I appreciate that you're coming at this from a position of total ignorance, as did I. But I don't think you're being fair on the game, as you clearly don't understand it yet. Just like I did 5 years ago with Demon's Souls.

I suggest watching this:

It took me longer than I'd care to admit to find the actual route too. Talk about falling at the first hurdle.

LtHB is just different gravy compared with the main game bosses. I know once he's done I'll be like OMG BEST BOSS EVAR but at the moment it's hard not to get a bit frustrated when it takes a fair while just to get through the first half of the fight which I feel like I can almost do with my eyes closed now. I did get him down to about a tenth of his health left a while back then run out of vials which came as a surprise in the middle of the fight. I don't think I've ever run dry before!

I killed the Cleric boss. It was a tense battle, but I don't know if it would've been any less tense without the grinding and levelling-up beforehand. Had it been a linear path and the developer chosen what attributes the player should have when tackling the boss I'm sure similar tension could've been achieved in a couple hours of gameplay rather than the 8 or so I've currently sunk in. I'm compelled to continue but I don't know if I'm enjoying myself tbh. Next up is Father Gascoigne, I think I've explored every other avenue available to me. Other than the plaza key I can now buy in Hunters Dream. I do sense that once I get a bit more powerful I'll enjoy it a lot more, but I'm not sold on the structure of these sorts of games. It does feel like a lot of grinding to artificially lengthen the play time. I'll try a couple more bosses and see if it clicks any better.

I've picked up tons of masks and items which I have no clue how to use so I'm ignoring them. I guess that's part of the fun/challenge and I can Google them. But personally, I just find it a bit annoying the game doesn't tell you. Most developers go to great lengths to introduce the player to the mechanics, this game (and I assume the Souls games) just forgoes all of that and luckily for From, it's paid off, with critics and players having risen to the challenge, but it does strike me as being a short-term fad or a niche genre - rather than greatest game of all-time material.

It really seems that this may not be the game you are looking for. If From followed your advice the game would end up being as hand-holdy as every other game and I really don't think that's what anyone who enjoys these games wants, far from it. The lack of tutorials, help, maps, etc is part of the fun. There was an excellent mock up screen of bloodborne as if it were a Ubisoft game which really needs posting again.

As for the grind, well that's not absolutely necessary but what is necessary is to learn the game mechanics. I don;t think it took me anything like 8 hours to defeat the cleric beast on my first play through but it certainly took a while. On my second, from scratch, play though I was at him and had him beaten in less than an hour simplify through experience, knowing where the enemies were, and how to defeat them. Practice.

EDIT: Just read Davros' post re: the grind. Sorry to repeat..

Cheers Davros. A lot in there I hadn't picked up on. I will keep at it, but I am complete shite at it. I try the riposte but it seems random whether enemies are stunned by it. Molotov cocktails seem generally ineffectual. I haven't tried a weapon beyond the cleaver. I didn't know you could store vials in a chest in Hunters Dream. Or that there were jumping attacks.

Should I be levelling up Vitality first and foremost, it seems like it gives the most bang for your buck?

I am not very good at this game.

You need to shoot them just as they are attacking you, in other words interrupt their attack. The window of opportunity varies and you need to get a feel for it. The big ogre/troll things are easily interrupted, so are good ones to practise on. Let one approach, stay calm, then as it raises its arm to smash you, fire. The follow through visceral attack is just R1, but the stick needs to be in neutral it you will just do a normal R1 attack, and you need to be close enough. If you've backed off, quickly dash in and hit R1.

Once you get a feel for it you have the means to take down Father G.

Vitality is probably the most useful stat early on, although I like to level Endurance too, as the more endurance the more actions you can do before you have to let the green bar build up again.

Molotovs are useful against beasts, and even more so if you coat the enemy in oil first. The werewolves on the first bridge are weak to fire, as is Father G when...well, you'll see.

Upgrading your weapon is probably more important than levelling up. Have you got any blood stone shards? You can use those to make your Saw Cleaver +1, +2 etc.

When you pick up any blood vials beyond 20, the surplus automatically gets sent to the storage chest.

Keep at it! It is an unfriendly game, but it rewards perseverance like no other!

Riposte is best used on enemy's 'winding up' attacks. Like the large brutes that try to smash your face in with a brick.

Molotovs get more potent if you upgrade the Arcane stat.

It's more like when they're in the middle of the attack. The wind-up is just very useful to gauge timing.

E.g. you don't fire a shot when the brick is raised above the brute's head, you do it as they swing at you. :)