Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

I think most of the bosses in this are worse than those in Dark Souls. I might have my rose tinted glasses on a bit, but I am going to play DaS again soon and will report back.

Surprised you think that, I think the bosses are a definite improvement overall.

Taurus Demon is a less good Cleric Beast.

The asylum demon is used three times in the game!

Bed of Chaos is terrible. I love the idea of a boss that is killed in one hit but I thought the execution was way off.

Fire centipede was poor. Taking away the player's freedom of movement is never fun.

Seath was a pushover. As was Gaping.

Capra Demon is a gimmick fight. (I do like it, though).

The final boss can be parried really easily.

And some are just a joke (Pinwheel, Moonlight Butterfly).

Dark Souls has a few amazing bosses, O&S, the gargoyles and Artorias among others, but there's a lot of duds there too. I think the general quality of Bloodborne's bosses is consistently high. I like the way they all get harder as they get low on health, too, and the intensity of the fights is always there.

Hehe re your farming, surely it's more time efficient to just cut them all down as quick as possible then bold Hunter's Mark & repeat? ;)

Maybe, I haven't timed it. But with two Heir Runes and the other one which just generally gives you more echoes (can't remember the name) you get loads more echoes per kill.

That part scared the crap out of me.

Yes, that's why I was very careful to spoiler it, as it would be a shame for people to be pre-warned.

There's another jump scare in Y,tUV that I missed out on. Even made me jump when I watched ENB trigger it!

Not sure why but it seems to start mid-way through the first section. Not quite as interesting as his others, but a couple of good things there. AVOID if you've not done this area and some of the surrounding ones

Seems weird that he'd miss out some of the less obvious items in the area, like the Rifle Spear. Even showing how to unlock all the shortcuts might help some people, like he did in the Central Yharnam video. It's nice when all the little details about an area are condensed into a few minutes instead of having to watch a full 50 minute play through.

Finally met R - yes, no thanks. I'll come back to that fight much later. It's funny because the first time I fought him, none of the minions where there so I could get in close and get some good hits in. After dying and going back to fight, the minions were out in force before I got anywhere near him.

After that I went to see DBP, swapped clothes for better bolt resistance and killed him stone dead in about 50 seconds. I barely got hit and just continued to smash him to pieces. A really quick fight, and the easiest of the game by far. This was only the second time I faced him. After that I went to NF, but I really hate that area.

After a good 20 minutes of wandering around I finally met A. Christ she hits hard, so fucking hard. I was using fire paper with a +7 LHB and doing almost no damage whatsoever - we're talking 40-50 per hit. Was killed in two shots - one of which took place when I was still lying on the floor from the first.

Really not a fan of NF or B. And I suspect I'll need to do both of them to get to the next part. Still not unlocked that door at the very top of CW either.

re: boss design. I think that is the best part of this game. This is better than DaS in terms of more bosses being fun to fight. This is much better looking, more interesting environments, and more dynamic in terms of move sets and changes throughout the fight. I really loved DaS but credit where it is due for this game. I have particularly found that going through NG+ which I never liked in DaS. I always preferred to start a new build altogether. But here, even the same build every boss I have done thus far is still a joy to fight and 'master'. Excluding R who is a cunt. :hat:

After a good 20 minutes of wandering around I finally met A. Christ she hits hard, so fucking hard. I was using fire paper with a +7 LHB and doing almost no damage whatsoever - we're talking 40-50 per hit. Was killed in two shots - one of which took place when I was still lying on the floor from the first.

Use Bolt and L2 with LHB to do an overhead attack aimed at her head. Attacking legs does next to nothing. If you stand back she'll try to attack and be a bit stunned with a lowered head when she misses.

If anyone wants to know exactly how much Bloodborne has taken from Lovecraftian mythos (a lot) do watch this fantastic video:

spoiler alert, obv.

This is one of my favourite post of this thread Spainkiller. Loved the video. But what made it great was the ironic fact that there is a tiny spoiler alert just below the video ready to be read once you have already watched it. You are unlikely to notice this until you have looked at the post several times. How lovecraftian of you. PS: I seem to also be going mad.

Finally met R - yes, no thanks. I'll come back to that fight much later. It's funny because the first time I fought him, none of the minions where there so I could get in close and get some good hits in. After dying and going back to fight, the minions were out in force before I got anywhere near him.

I'm starting to wonder if I even fought the same boss. All I did was ignore all the minions, run up to him, dodge a few times, and wail on him with Bolt Paper.

I'm starting to wonder if I even fought the same boss. All I did was ignore all the minions, run up to him, dodge a few times, and wail on him with Bolt Paper.

That's what I did the first time I fought him. But I was under prepared, and just winged it. I was surprised it was actually that fight after doing that thing to get there. I looked back at your post about Person X trying to tell you something. When I saw who I was about to fight, I almost went back and replied to your post with a " I TRUSTED YOU!!" gif :D

I'm fully stocked up with bolt and fire now, so next time around I'm going to take him on first.

I must admit, and this is purely my own personal preference - I don't think I could play online with all those messenger distractions popping up. When I watched the FG fight posted just above (which does indeed have a fantastic finale) I could see myself focusing on the messengers instead of the early parts of the fight. I think it'd ruin the atmosphere for me, that feeling of isolation etc.

This game really does have some impressive landscapes. My two favourites are FCC, and NoM. But the one I find most unsettling and oppressive is UCW, the enemies are really dangerous, the architecture is even more foreboding, and the music really creepy. It's a brilliant area.

I agree re NoM... My favourite is actually where you fight MP in the end.

That's what I did the first time I fought him. But I was under prepared, and just winged it. I was surprised it was actually that fight after doing that thing to get there. I looked back at your post about Person X trying to tell you something. When I saw who I was about to fight, I almost went back and replied to your post with a " I TRUSTED YOU!!" gif :D

I'm fully stocked up with bolt and fire now, so next time around I'm going to take him on first.

I must admit, and this is purely my own personal preference - I don't think I could play online with all those messenger distractions popping up. When I watched the FG fight posted just above (which does indeed have a fantastic finale) I could see myself focusing on the messengers instead of the early parts of the fight. I think it'd ruin the atmosphere for me, that feeling of isolation etc.

Sorry! I wasn't trying to stitch you up, promise! But it's the way to progress the game, so it had to be done! :)

And yeah, totally agree about the online screen clutter.

Really not a fan of NF or B. And I suspect I'll need to do both of them to get to the next part. Still not unlocked that door at the very top of CW either.

I have the CW key now but can't remember where the door was so that's what I'll do later as I am, as usual, having trouble with a boss so need to refocus for a while.. This time it's TOR but it's early days yet and the route to him is pretty quick so it's easy enough to get back at it...

I have the CW key now but can't remember where the door was so that's what I'll do later as I am, as usual, having trouble with a boss so need to refocus for a while.. This time it's TOR but it's early days yet and the route to him is pretty quick so it's easy enough to get back at it...

Is it? I think I might be missing a shortcut then, because it seems quite a schlepp to me.

Yeah, couple of minutes max from the UV lamp.

Like this:

from the lamp, run down the stairs, turn right, down the stairs, dash across the open area towards the steps opposite the ones you just ran down, take out the fella at the top of the stairs, into the lift. Then, step out on to the roof half way down and another route to TOR is unlocked...

A-ha! I'd forgotten about the lift. I'd just been running all the way there past all those big bastards.

Oh yeah, some free echoes for you all.

At the lamp there, turn around and you'll see all the witchy women on the stairs. Aggro the big fella by stepping onto the stairs and running off - he'll laser the lot of 'em.

It's not much, but it's an easy 1,800 echoes in about 3 seconds.

A-ha! I'd forgotten about the lift. I'd just been running all the way there past all those big bastards.

Yeah, lift is key, you only need to engage with one villager, two dogs, a bell ringer and a villager. And they are easy.

It may even be quicker to take the lift all the way down rather than hop out. I've not tried that..

This game really does have some impressive landscapes. My two favourites are FCC, and NoM. But the one I find most unsettling and oppressive is UCW, the enemies are really dangerous, the architecture is even more foreboding, and the music really creepy. It's a brilliant area.

Not only that, but in UCW

They plant children in the ground and grow them into Aliens. Lovely.

Trying to beat RtVS and I just can't seem to get it done.

Can get it down to about 30% left but then always die.

Can't seem to summon anyone too. Still have the fog door just after the NPC and just dodge him. Is that why? When I summon, they cant go through the fog.

All the RtVS strategies I've seen recommend taking out all the minions first, whereas I just ignored them. I may have just got lucky, but I found it quite easy to lead them off a bit and then just run right up to his flank. Which strategy/weapon are you favouring? I think my Saw Cleaver was +6 when I killed him. My RS is +8 now and skewers all in its path! Until it doesn't...

Here's how I did it again, if it helps. Which it might not, if I just got lucky:

Trying to beat RtVS and I just can't seem to get it done.

Can get it down to about 30% left but then always die.

Can't seem to summon anyone too. Still have the fog door just after the NPC and just dodge him. Is that why? When I summon, they cant go through the fog.

The hunter? I'd kill that first, just to be safe...

I hate Big Rom so much.

I took out the first wave of minions and it's then easy enough to get him to at least a third down (assuming a +6 or higher weapon, and definitely use bolt paper. If he then teleports a distance away it's a bit harder than if it he lands close by as you will be exposed to his projectiles as you chase after him, but they can be dodged. You then need to get up to him and beat on his sides, preferably concentrating on the one side, but the minions and their insta kills make it a real drag, as does the camera tracking. After the first wave of spiders I never bothered taking them out again unless they passed in front of me. Remember that, as with Rom, they have very strong armour on their heads so need to be hit from the sides and behind. Looking back, my biggest mistake was, as usual, greed, as Rom would thrash on me just as I went for that one extra strike. If I ever have to face it again, I'll be more patient but I was always motivated by wanting to avoid the spiders and air strikes so kept in close and that exposed be more to the minion attacks. It was a fucking nightmare.