Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

Being one of the easiest bosses for me in NG, I'm somewhat surprised that SOY in NG+ is still kicking my arse after two nights and at least 20 attempts of varying styles and weapons. The other NG+ bosses so far have all been easy, even those like VA and FG who were much tougher than SOY in NG. I haven't come close to killing them, and am watching playthroughs, reading the guide etc.

Any tips from NG+ players? As I'm on the verge of co-oping it, assuming I can find anyone in my level band (~120) lol.

Why wouldn't you ring your bell? Surely you have nothing to prove in NG+? There are a whole bunch of players online ready to help, plus you might get invaded which is a great laugh. I'd offer my services but I'm capped at 150 so just out of range.

R is the worse boss design (BB and DaS included). One late thing I discovered is that it is better to run away from magic projectiles rather than try to dodge which requires fiddly timing. I am also really bummed there wasn't a equivalent to bed of chaos in this game. I would replace R with one of those. But I am no miyazaki and that dude is a fucking genius.

Something about the Edge review. Please correct me if I am wrong.

They comment about the final boss encounter being the only one where the enemy only has one form. But actually they did not even see the final boss because they didn't eat the cords (is my guess here). I find that funny given all the effort to hold the review until they could make the 'correct' assessment. Basically it is nearly impossible to give these games an objective score because the experience is so unique to the player. Some people will love aspects others will hate. For example, I loved the old loading times!

Something about the Edge review. Please correct me if I am wrong.

They comment about the final boss encounter being the only one where the enemy only has one form. But actually they did not even see the final boss because they didn't eat the cords (is my guess here). I find that funny given all the effort to hold the review until they could make the 'correct' assessment. Basically it is nearly impossible to give these games an objective score because the experience is so unique to the player. Some people will love aspects others will hate. For example, I loved the old loading times!

I haven't read it but Gerry certainly feels like he has a second form, switching weapons and powering up towards the end of the fight.

I haven't read it but Gerry certainly feels like he has a second form, switching weapons and powering up towards the end of the fight.

Yes, agree. But I feel the real horror comes later.

Why wouldn't you ring your bell? Surely you have nothing to prove in NG+? There are a whole bunch of players online ready to help, plus you might get invaded which is a great laugh. I'd offer my services but I'm capped at 150 so just out of range.

I ring my bell all the time in NG+ whether Sinister or Beckoning. I've got too much insight to spare anyway and it would be rude not to. Plus random invasions are still really cool (although it is harsh that as the invader you get lowered health AND you generally end up in a 2 v 1 or 3 v 1 situation).

My golden rule though is that any bosses I co-op first time through on NG I have to solo in NG+ - an incentive to git gud first time. Bloodborne was the first one where I managed to solo all the bosses in NG. Progress!

I forgot to mention my strangest death in the game so far.

SPOILERS: DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU HAVE BEATEN RtVS! AND EVEN IF YOU HAVE MAYBE DON'T READ IT ANYWAY!

I went back to Central Yarnham, as you do. During the loading screen I went off to make a cup of tea. As I was doing so I heard the unmistakeable sounds of my character dying. "That's odd", I thought, "There are no enemies near that lamp!"

When the game had reloaded I was greeted by a Beast...and a smashed window where Gilbert had been. Looks like he finally succumbed...:(

Now clearly I did this "wrong", but had I done it right I think I may have jumped all the way out of my skin!

I killed Rom last night. Took me about 5 attempts, in the end my Axe+6 with bolt paper did the job.

Just to echo other comments, certainly the worst boss so far for cheap and often unavoidable deaths. It wasn't that you can't take damage, it's just his final form was designed to irratate the hell out of you. When you're surrounded by minions and Rom himself starts spamming those magic attacks every 5 seconds. I was able to dodge some of them by using the "move the camera up" advice, but often I'd dodge straight into an attacking minion. And twice I got hit by magic attacks which knocked me down and then just as I got to my feet a minion administered the killing blow. All health gone in one fail swoop.

Just glad to be through it! Reminded me a bit of the Four Kings boss from DS, in terms of the open arena and boss who could absorb a lot of punishment without any real effect on their behaviour. Although, obviously, a lot less enjoyable.

I love how this game is not only tightly tuned to improve your skill through play, but that it very cleverly uses the hook of the RPG upgrade system to keep you doing just that.

All the time I'm thinking, 'just a few more souls, just a few more runs in this area so I can level up!' When in reality, what I'm really doing is increasing my skill level (learning attack patterns of enemies, guaging how many attacks my stamina allows with each weapon etc), which has a far bigger impact on progressing through the game.

I found R is a lot easier if you don't lock on. Not locking on is quite a useful skill to learn as can be quite helpful in certain situations.

Chalice Dungeon chat

Rom is dead easy in the Chalice Dungeon as you have pillar you can hide behind :)

Also these chubby chaps weren't too bad, though I should have made the blunderbuss guy get his sword out sooner as not to mess around with missed back stabs :)

Now I have all my Ritual Blood (4) I'm off to Loran and depth 4, I'm scared :)

Cheers. As I 'cooped out' on four bosses during NG I really wanted to do a solo run for NG+, but I just don't think I have the focus /attention /timing skills to do this one. Nothing goes as well as the videos I've seen. For example when I do manage to shotgun stagger one of SOY, my R1 never viscerals him (even though LS is in neutral, and I can pigfist with the best of them). Guess I'll just have to gitgud or get ringing.

Oh, re. farming echoes:

That lecture building tip is great, but on top of that I managed to get into that room without alerting any of the students apart from one. This meant I could backstab + visceral every single one of them, and with the Rune that boosts echo yield for visceral attacks I soon had 18k or so in one short trip

As for bosses, I had a few goes at TOR yesterday. Didn't seem to be doing much damage to him...

The funny thing with Rom is that, in the interview in the guide, Miyazaki picks him as his favourite boss. What a troll!

I think he says Rom is his favourite boss from a lore / design perspective, i.e. ignoring the gameplay part.

Cheers. As I 'cooped out' on four bosses during NG I really wanted to do a solo run for NG+, but I just don't think I have the focus /attention /timing skills to do this one. Nothing goes as well as the videos I've seen. For example when I do manage to shotgun stagger one of SOY, my R1 never viscerals him (even though LS is in neutral, and I can pigfist with the best of them). Guess I'll just have to gitgud or get ringing.

You should restart on NG focussing on two stats from the four and trying a different build. Then soloing every boss. Did this in 15 hours whilst hoovering everything in the main game up including quest lines etc.

And I enjoyed Rom.

I liked the flow of it, starting by slowly and methodically taking out each of the minions before going to town on him (getting him to around half health), then in the second phase racking the pace of the fight up massively, dodging his magic missiles and then trying to stay close, so much dodging and possibly the most intense part of the game.

I forgot to mention my strangest death in the game so far.

SPOILERS: DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU HAVE BEATEN RtVS! AND EVEN IF YOU HAVE MAYBE DON'T READ IT ANYWAY!

I went back to Central Yarnham, as you do. During the loading screen I went off to make a cup of tea. As I was doing so I heard the unmistakeable sounds of my character dying. "That's odd", I thought, "There are no enemies near that lamp!"

When the game had reloaded I was greeted by a Beast...and a smashed window where Gilbert had been. Looks like he finally succumbed... :(

Now clearly I did this "wrong", but had I done it right I think I may have jumped all the way out of my skin!

That part scared the crap out of me.

The instant it finishes loading he launches himself at you, and you get a rune ('Claw'?) for either the attack or the kill.

I'm at FG already after very little time on NG+, but it occurs to me (after only one attempt, granted) that he might actually be harder for me this time. I've never had a problem with his first form(s), but I beat him first time around (at the second attempt) by spamming him with (the now hilariously underpowered) molotovs, so this might be the first (and hopefully only) case of a boss I actually need to learn properly on the second attempt, after getting away with cheesing it a bit first time.

Might put some fire runes into my new (and already +9) Burial Blade, see how that fares.

Also turns out I was at 32-30-30-29-9-9 at the start of this playthrough, so I'll start putting points into Arcane now I think. The gains on anything else will be small now anyway, so I might as well try something new.

I think most of the bosses in this are worse than those in Dark Souls. I might have my rose tinted glasses on a bit, but I am going to play DaS again soon and will report back.

If you haven't done the DLC (was it you in the other thread?) you should definately do that.

I love the hunter battles in this. The guy with the chikage is a great fight.

Also, lol SoY, SoShit, more like! Reiterpallasch is a fucking beast, man. I even forgot to use bolt paper. Under 90 seconds and that was with flailing like an idiot at several points.

Need chunks for my Chikage+6 too. It's neat but the damage is a fair bit behind the reiterpallasch+8 right now..

Not sure why but it seems to start mid-way through the first section. Not quite as interesting as his others, but a couple of good things there. AVOID if you've not done this area and some of the surrounding ones

If you haven't done the DLC (was it you in the other thread?) you should definately do that.

I love the hunter battles in this. The guy with the chikage is a great fight.

Yeah, I haven't. Really want to now.

I think most of the bosses in this are worse than those in Dark Souls. I might have my rose tinted glasses on a bit, but I am going to play DaS again soon and will report back.

No way! Genuinely think Bloodborne has the best overall boss roster (caveat I haven't played Demon Souls). Even the duff bosses are interesting from a lore perspective.

Oh, re. farming echoes:

That lecture building tip is great, but on top of that I managed to get into that room without alerting any of the students apart from one. This meant I could backstab + visceral every single one of them, and with the Rune that boosts echo yield for visceral attacks I soon had 18k or so in one short trip

As for bosses, I had a few goes at TOR yesterday. Didn't seem to be doing much damage to him...

Hehe re your farming, surely it's more time efficient to just cut them all down as quick as possible then bold Hunter's Mark & repeat? ;)

And as for ToR.. I can't remember his strength / weaknesses.. But it shouldn't take you long to try stab / slash / bolt / fire and figure which does the highest damage...