Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

Completed this last night (yay!), and am currently 30-30-30-29-9-9. Seriously considering pumping some points into Arcane (and Vitality) on NG+, so does anyone have any suggestions on what to do now, and whether or not that's a horrendous plan? I tend to use the LHB (but have dabbled with/upgraded the Burial Blade already) if that helps. I basically never use the guns, so am thinking the Augur (and other assorted toys) might be a fun alternative...

(Yes, I did post a tl;dr read version of this earlier. I knew it was too much text!)

Why do so many people stop at 30 for their stats? I thought 25 was the point where gains became more marginal. Am I wrong? Or are the "30" people wrong, perhaps assuming it's like an earlier game

There's something squiffy going on with the increases from stats in this one (though I think similar thing happened in previous games, I just never studied) whereby the values of say, strength increase, vary depending on the weapon equipped. Most peculiar.

I may be wrong, but there were definitely times where I found myself thinking "oh, suddenly putting skill up is giving me bigger boosts than before."

The four main skills soft cap at 25 then hard cap at 50. Stamina stops at 40. Vitality slows a bit after 30.

Sure, but there are definitely other factors at play. For eg, I had my Str and skl fairly even on my first character using Ludwig's.

At one point, I stopped levelling skill because it was increasing my damage by 3, but strength up would increase by 6 (which is weird as the guide says something totally different) I left skill alone until strength stopped upping attack by 6 (dropped to 3 at about 25), and then suddenly skill ups were giving me 6 damage increase! Wtf.

I'd hazard a guess that's a Ludwig only thing due to its B/B scaling, and that both skills need to be equal in order to get the optimal added parameters. Similar to Dark in DS2 requiring equal amounts INT and FTH.

I'm not sure Eileen renounced her vows, I think she was trained as a hunter of hunters and moved into that role.And, ok, so I know nothing of cosmic horror (have bought some lovecraft for my kindle though!), so if a dream is essentially an alternate reality, if the dreamer dies, does the dream continue? I guess it does, if you consider the corpse you touch at the end of Yahargul is (could be) Micolash, and it takes us to nightmare of mensis.

So fucking mindbending, but there probably isn't a proper answer. I'm preparing myself to never really know what's going on.

Yeah basically there are two strands to Lovecraft, which kind of overlap: one is the familiar Cthulhu Mythos stuff, which is where the concept of the Great Ones come from and this sort of whole idea about mortals trying to contact them or summon them or otherwise worship them etc etc and so gain eldritch knowledge/power. The point is though that they are terrifying and unknowable and will inevitably drive you insane or worse. And then the second strand is the idea of the dreamscape - dreams are just windows or means of travel on to other realities or dimensions; some people have learnt to control their dreams to access these realities.

The key theme of cosmic horror is that we are a tiny insignificant speck in the grand scheme of the universe which is more terrifying, alien and inexplicable than humans could ever comprehend. Bloodborne conveys this rather well I think!

The Chalice Dungeons system/implementation is beyond terrible. It serves no valuable purpose at all, and should have been left out. Bosses not used in the main game should have been left on the cutting room floor. The lore not told through the main game does not need to be told at all. There is no reason items found only in the Chalice Dungeons could not have been found in the main game. And the final boss could have been placed anywhere in the main game as an (optional) boss.

But worst of all, it is so extremely dull and tedious. I have had more rage filled deaths since I started doing Chalice Dungeons than in many hundreds of hours of Demon's, Dark 1, Dark 2 and Bloodborne because every time I die I learnt fuck all. Running around underground through copy-paste hallways with low visibility and dozens of enemies is not something you want people to do level after level after level after level.

Bloodborne may very well be the first Souls-game I shall not Platinum. This is worse than the Pure Bladestone grind in Demon's, joining Kaathe in Dark 1 and doing the PvP grind for the Bell-ends in Dark 2.

I like it when a buffed and super angry version of a previous Chalice boss shows up in a harder dungeon. It's like they're mad cos you battered their little brother.

Case in point, the BSB, who's big red sister smashed me all to fuck a couple of times before I went all zen and took her apart

and this cunt. I'd killed 3 or 4 of these without a problem but I died over and over and over to him yesterday before resorting to a change of clothes and some lightning fistage.

annoyingly the fights where it all comes together always seem a bit boring compared to the ones where you get your arse kicked around, lots of baiting attacks and dodging round the back.

SoY down with my Bloodtinge char. That boss is pretty fucking hard when you can't carry LHB into battle. :D Battle details follow:

Started off with a gun counter/visceral on the sword guy, took a few fireballs to the face but landed another counter/visceral on him, so he was already down to about 55% health. Ate another fireball, created a bit of room whilst still locked on to him and got a third counter/visceral on the sword user. The fourth gun stagger I landed on him prompted me to run in and swing but the angle must have been off as there was no visceral attack... but the attack I did land prompted them to enter their second forms.

So now sword guy has his extended attack, which is one of my least favourite parts of this whole fight. I immediately take about 50% damage from it, trade a few more blows then run away again. I lock on to the sword guy and shoot him with the pistol, he drops but I'm way too far away to perform the visceral in time :facepalm: I still run in and whiff so many axe swings though... Anyway, I later plug away at him with some more shots and get another stagger but the flames from the other guys stop me from going in. Nevertheless, I take the damage and finish him off with regular attacks so that I can get the Regain. One down.

After wasting about three bullets on flame sword guy I go in with the axe and get him down to around 60% health, then back off and eat some more fireballs and extended attacks from both of them. I try to heal but a fireball cancels the animation, I try again, heal successfully but another fireball negates the heal (so I've effectively wasted one vial), then finally get a successful heal in, which ends up being about three or four heals after the flame sword guy renders my last healing effort useless and fire bombs are coming down on me.

After more futile healing and shooting I finally stagger flame sword guy but I don't get the counter and eat a load of fireballs - heal again. By now I'm understandably fucked off so I just use three bullets finishing off flame sword guy. So now I just have to deal with a fireball guy who's on phase 3 with at least 90% health. Ground snakes and fireballs take my health down to 50% so I roll away, heal, and use my last few bullets to get him to around 70% health, then I go in and chase him down with my axe, but I take some damage from a few sword swings and fireballs. So right now he's just under half health and I have 1 vial left. I throw some molotovs at him for a bit more safe damage, eat an attack but get some swings in myself so Regain kind of negates it... and then he summons the ground snakes, which combined with the fireballs take me back down to about 20-25% health. I get this back up to 30% through Regain and finish him off with one last flurry of blows.

Not quite the heart-pounding tension of the first time, but pretty hairy nonetheless. This game.

FFS, the B of UCW, E:DotC, can GTFO. Fight's driving me insane, all co-operators get their arses handed to them in the first minute and I can get her down to half-health before following suit. Level 84 and using bolt paper, any tips at all? The charge attack is just undodgeable and wipes out two thirds of my health.

Really enjoyable article on Bloodborne and Souls in general. I'm not familiar with the developer who wrote it, but i like his style:

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/240839/Bloodborne_You_are_the_experience_points.php

Seconded. This is a great read. I read it after just watching an episode of Elementary, and heard it all in the style of Johnny Lee Miller as Holmes. Fits the guy's writing style perfectly.

He says lots of great things in the piece, but this immediately stood out for hard truth, in regards to BB's dodge move: "the better you get at it, the more you overestimate your skill, and the harder it becomes."

Or this gem: "With the Regain System, Bloodborne begs you to take tiny risks. I say the risks are "tiny" because that's how it feels: just one more button press. That button press is highly likely to get you killed"

A really minor thing I liked - RE: Hunter's Dream, the doll - spoiler for an object you find -

I loved her reaction when you gave her the hairclip ornament. For a moment, it was like she almost came out of the role she was meant to be playing. For so many hours she's said the same thing, been in the same two places, acted the same. That little gesture and her reaction to it made her seem more realistic and human.

No idea what I'm trying to say other than I thought that was a lovely touch.

Just had a go at RtVS in B. Phase 1 was a piece of piss: kill the adds, hit the boss. Phase 2 felt unfair, there's no obvious tell where the projectiles are going?

Worst boss in the game so far for me.

I had a real issue, for days, with being instantly, one hit, killed by both R and the minions. On the round I defeated him I just didn't receive any of the insta kill moves and he went down quickly and easily. I hadn't changed my tactics really so put the win down to being in the right places at the right times in order to hit him, and not be hit myself.

Re the projectiles, just keep rolling and, whilst you may take the odd hit, you should be ok. Getting closer is the key though...

A real low point for me and, even after spending days on it, there was none of the elation I felt after defeating VA. Just relief that it was finally behind me, along with some residual anger at what often seemed like arbitrary deaths.

It was great to move on and the game does take another turn toward the incredible after leaving that lake.

Rom is dead.

After several dispiriting goes, I worked out you can disrupt the teleport by doing extra damage. I then also worked out that that works against you if you do it at the first teleport, as it summons a double wave of spiders.

So my successful go consisted of: switching to my +4 Tonitrus as opposed to my +6 Rifle Spear, and doing standard damage on the easy first wave. Then carefully picking off the second wave of spiders, and dropping Rom to a sliver of health during teleport. Then suicide run in to remove the last chunk.

It worked. Not my favourite.

Also, related to that, area B seems really small. Did I miss some obvious areas? There's just the immediate grounds and the one building?,

It's funny how different our experiences can be with the bosses. RtVS went down very quickly for me, and I thought it was fun. Christ knows how I'd feel about it if I'd been stuck on it for a week though.

By the way, for the meteors, I just looked up and dodged.

Yeah I was in the middle of posting this when Mike updated to say he'd beaten it. :D Tracking where the meteors are landing is much easier if you angle the camera upwards (not just up/forward - the more vertical the better ;) )

Done 'em! 2nd attempt. Easiest boss of the game so far for me.

SOY was the easiest boss battle for me so far, scooshed it on my 2nd attempt, got complacent on my 1st go with my "well this is a piece a' pish" attitude, but was a cakewalk next time around.

Currently at ROM (which I have sacked for the moment, truly unspetacular looking boss to me, more annoying so far than unkillable, not impressed, had no vials in back up).

Went bloodvial farming back at the start area, started checking out doors nd shit, got given summat which sent me on the road to a new area, NF, although dont know if thats where I was supposed to be heading, but I am there none the less.