Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

Initially I felt a bit the same towards the Chalice Dungeons, but I I go further down I'm starting to relish the challenge and the level design on the static dungeons does improve. I've had a few scary moments and one I particularly liked (a bit like the Nope gif)

opps :)

I've have some good boss fights but I can see why people wouldn't like them and they do seem a bit better suited to co-op.

If you saved them for NG+, then you are massively overlevelled for the first 5 or 6 (or maybe more) preset dungeons, so combat is boring but at the same time they still takes ages to get through because you need to explore every nook and cranny.

I think they should have just made them really hard from the off.

I am absolutely sick of bring insta killed by RtVS and his bastard minions.

Still can't nail RTVS. I watch videos and it looks like I'm playing a different build of the boss. Still keep coming back to him though. Even though it must be two weeks of attempts!

Been having a bash for a few days now and I am absolutely sick of bring insta killed by RtVS and his bastard minions. Other folks videos seem wildly different to my experience too. It's the lowest point of the game for me, an ugly, uninspired boss and location to match, combined with endless instant deaths. At least it is quick to access from the lamp I suppose...

On a positive note, whilst farming for echoes this morning I collected everything from FW including two cliff top collectibles that I have been able to see for a while but just couldn't work out how to reach. I hadn't realised I could jump gaps...

If you saved them for NG+, then you are massively overlevelled for the first 5 or 6 (or maybe more) preset dungeons, so combat is boring but at the same time they still takes ages to get through because you need to explore every nook and cranny.

I think they should have just made them really hard from the off.

The problem is everyone ignored them until end game (perfectly natural) and by then you're SL70-80, and like you say, way overpowered for Depths 1-3.

I had initially written them off as a pretty dry experience, but I'm glad i returned and delved deeper because there's plenty to see (identikit tiles aside) and its a proper challenge once you hit Depths 4-5 (certainly more than anything NG+ offers) so dismissing them after an hour is way too premature.

Well, there you go, on literally the first game after my frustrated venting post I beat him incredibly easily. I think there is a range of aggressiveness in play and, combined with the random distance he teleports, there can be a raft of outcomes. This attempt was like a different boss to the one I had faced dozens of times previously.

Maybe my muttered talk of resorting to coop intimidated the fucker...

Instant kills? Ouch.. Which attacks are instant killing you?

If physical (i.e. the little spiders or Rom thrashing about) you need some improved physical resistance; runes & gear can help achieve this. The bog-standard hunter's set has pretty high physical resist. There's a rune you can find in Hemwick which gives physical damage -3%. Sounds pathetic but it might help.

Have you been to Nightmare Frontier? There's a rune to find there which will give you HP+10% which could be a big help!!

If arcane/magic attacks are hitting you, work on learning to avoid them. The rain from above is hard to completely avoid, but combined with some arcane resistance you should be ok.. A rune called arcane lake is in Byrgenwerth, it reduces arcane damage by 7%, iirc.

Finally, what's your HP at? What level are you? How many souls to level up? May be worth you grinding out some easy souls to pump up your HP a bit to help.

You can do it!! Don't give up.

Edit: LOL. Well, congrats, at least. :D

I think Mike's route might be quicker, but I haven't checked.

Guys, do you ever give much thought to the best place to farm echoes? I've just been having a chilled play tonight, pottering about really. I found an easy way to farm echoes in one location:

In Byrgenwerth, if you run straight into the building and up the stairs, you can drop down into the weird big insect thing and kill it easily at close range. Then if you turn around the two insect guys (shudder) who usually drop down and ambush you will have their backs to you. You can visceral both of them without the other noticing. I'm using two 'Heir' runes (more echoes for viscera attacks) and a Moon Rune which simply increases echoes from slain enemies generally. Anyway, you get 1,800 for each one, and as it's a short run to them each time it racks up reasonably quickly.

Anyway, you're probably all scoffing and saying "Pffft, that's nothing, try going here..." So my question is where/what gives the best return in echoes?

My farming spot later in the game was in, uh, LB? LB2F? Acronyms are hard. :( Anyway, you can run around and get about 11k in the initial area before going out and back in to do it again. :)

Instant kills? Ouch.. Which attacks are instant killing you?

If physical (i.e. the little spiders or Rom thrashing about) you need some improved physical resistance; runes & gear can help achieve this. The bog-standard hunter's set has pretty high physical resist. There's a rune you can find in Hemwick which gives physical damage -3%. Sounds pathetic but it might help.Have you been to Nightmare Frontier? There's a rune to find there which will give you HP+10% which could be a big help!!If arcane/magic attacks are hitting you, work on learning to avoid them. The rain from above is hard to completely avoid, but combined with some arcane resistance you should be ok.. A rune called arcane lake is in Byrgenwerth, it reduces arcane damage by 7%, iirc.Finally, what's your HP at? What level are you? How many souls to level up? May be worth you grinding out some easy souls to pump up your HP a bit to help.

You can do it!! Don't give up.Edit: LOL. Well, congrats, at least. :D

Thanks for the advice and encouragement!

I feel that I just got a lucky break in RtVS being less aggressive and not teleporting too far from me on that final go.

I was being killed by the little spiders as both their dive bombing and pincer attack moves were instant fatalities, and, occasionally by Rom thrashing but that was often due to the camera losing me behind him which was a drag.

I am sure it was my lack of ability as I think I was levelled up sufficiently at Lvl. 67 with vitality of 24, endurance, strength, and skill at 25. Nothing on blood tinge or arcane though. clothing was focused a little towards arcane resistance though...I was using a +7 LHB with bolt paper and had equipped the arcane lake and also the one that added +10% to HP, and the one that added 5% stamina too I think.

Anyways onwards into UV!

Finished.

Well, I say finished, but my final boss isn't necessarily everyone's final boss (of the three endings you can get I'd call mine the "middle one"), I didn't meet at least three of the bosses I've heard people talking about, hadn't actually finished exploring CC (I only found it last night, about an hour or two before finishing), don't have all of the weapons (by a long way), have only opened one (barely explored) Chalice Dungeon, and have still only ever used the gun to parry about three attacks. I don't really think I'm finished by a long shot.

Plus it's brilliant, obviously, and I don't really want it to stop. I didn't really know how to feel last night when I'd "completed" it.

I'd like some advice now though, please. I'm going to try (considering) playing other games at least a little bit too now, as I've abandoned some bloody good games to focus on this*, but I started my NG+ immediately last night and got back to the CB (who went down first time again) in one sitting. As is probably obvious from one of my comments above, I've never really gotten on with the guns in this, and have spent most of the game with the gun as a decoration (when I wasn't holding a torch) before I'd switch in the two-hand modes of the KH or LHB. Based on that, I'm now sorely tempted to start levelling Arcane though, so I can play with all the toys that comes with...

For background, I think my stats are presently something along the lines of 30-30-30-29-9-9. I started levelling Skill fairly recently, having noticed that that would actually scale my weapon stats faster than strength would, because I like having well-rounded characters, and because after 30 it seemed like all the other stats progression slowed right down anyway. I'm now tempted to keep on putting the odd point into Vitality, but otherwise I'm thinking if I start putting points into Arcane I could try out the AoE, use my trusty LHB in a different way, try out some new weapons, etc...

Any hints, tips, suggestions, constructive critiscism/abuse? Should I keep on keeping away from Arcane and levelling as I have been anyway? Is it better to focus on Arcane from the start on a new character if you're going to do so? Have I made a huge mistake in my levelling thus far?!

* Diablo III, MH4U, Shovel Knight and Cave Story (amongst others) have all been ignored, and I didn't dare starting anything else on the PS4 for weeks before this dropped.

I have finally finished this game. Two week hiatus in the middle. Can dood or someone who knows what the fuck is going on help me with this.

Fucking hell that made no sense to me! I did eat the 3 things. I killed all bar one optional boss (I believe). I accepted death which trigger new game plus directly first try! I proceeded to delete my save and try again. Fought two other bosses (including the moon presence). The doll picks up a thing and says 'oh dear hunter' and then it ends! what the fuck is going on? did I miss something? I am annoyed with this.

I have finally finished this game. Two week hiatus in the middle. Can dood or someone who knows what the fuck is going on help me with this.

Fucking hell that made no sense to me! I did eat the 3 things. I killed all bar one optional boss (I believe). I accepted death which trigger new game plus directly first try! I proceeded to delete my save and try again. Fought two other bosses (including the moon presence). The doll picks up a thing and says 'oh dear hunter' and then it ends! what the fuck is going on? did I miss something? I am annoyed with this.

Essentially as I understand it, having ended the night of the hunt by destroying the nightmare of Mensis, you either a) accept death and awaken from the dream, b) take Gehrman's place as first hunter, or c) become a Great One yourself

Essentially as I understand it, having ended the night of the hunt by destroying the nightmare of Mensis, you either a) accept death and awaken from the dream, b) take Gehrman's place as first hunter, or c) become a Great One yourself

I have no fucking idea what's going on with the ending(s).

Submission:

When you wake up, is everything 'normal' again? Or is there another hunt coming? Was any of it real?

Take Gehrman's place:

This is interesting, especially considering we can pretty much assume Mr G is long dead by now. (his bone is found in th abandoned workshop, I assume he 'invented' that awesome teleporting shit. So it seems he's being kept running the dream against his will.. Maybe by Moon Presnece? Why does he say we've done a good job? What is the purpose of the dream? Why does he think it merciful to 'wake me up'?

Slug-tastic:

Become a great one. I don't get it. Was the moon presence a great one running a 'test' to find suitable candidates for children? Is that it? I have no idea. It's baffling.

I love it :D

Other stuff that's weird:

Eileen knowing about the Doll.

Other hunters who have 'left the dream' being inside our dream.

WHATS GOING ON.

Is that big enough? I can output a specific resolution if you like?

Might as well do it properly. :D

Yeah it's perfect as is, thanks! :D

I've got several paths open at present and I can't settle on which to really go at. I think I've got NF, CC, UV and UCW all open but keep flirting between them

Man, if you've unlocked UCW you're probably way overlevelled for NF and CC.. :P

I have no fucking idea what's going on with the ending(s).

Submission:

When you wake up, is everything 'normal' again? Or is there another hunt coming? Was any of it real?

Take Gehrman's place:

This is interesting, especially considering we can pretty much assume Mr G is long dead by now. (his bone is found in th abandoned workshop, I assume he 'invented' that awesome teleporting shit. So it seems he's being kept running the dream against his will.. Maybe by Moon Presnece? Why does he say we've done a good job? What is the purpose of the dream? Why does he think it merciful to 'wake me up'?

Slug-tastic:

Become a great one. I don't get it. Was the moon presence a great one running a 'test' to find suitable candidates for children? Is that it? I have no idea. It's baffling.

I love it :D

Other stuff that's weird:

Eileen knowing about the Doll.

Other hunters who have 'left the dream' being inside our dream.

WHATS GOING ON.

In the weird/cosmic horror tradition, 'dreams' tend to really be other dimensions that exist and that you can travel to.

Eileen was a hunter who renounced her vows (like Djura).

In the weird/cosmic horror tradition, 'dreams' tend to really be other dimensions that exist and that you can travel to.

Eileen was a hunter who renounced her vows (like Djura).

I'm not sure Eileen renounced her vows, I think she was trained as a hunter of hunters and moved into that role.

And, ok, so I know nothing of cosmic horror (have bought some lovecraft for my kindle though!), so if a dream is essentially an alternate reality, if the dreamer dies, does the dream continue? I guess it does, if you consider the corpse you touch at the end of Yahargul is (could be) Micolash, and it takes us to nightmare of mensis.

So fucking mindbending, but there probably isn't a proper answer. I'm preparing myself to never really know what's going on.

Thanks for that. A few specific questions if I may please. Massive spoilers. If anyone knows at least one I'd be happy to hear it. Even if it is theory.

What is the dream?

What is that little cutscene you see after killing Amelia? Are you remembering something? Or is this someone else?

What is the moon presence? Is that the source of the dream?

Why is there a real world version of the dream in Yharnam?

What is the doll? Is this someone in real life?

Who is the main character? Why is the main character in Yarnam?

What is the celestial emmisary? Why are there aliens hidden in the church?

In summary, what the fuck is going on?

Also... one final question.... how can I play in daytime Yarnam?

Thanks for that. A few specific questions if I may please. Massive spoilers. If anyone knows at least one I'd be happy to hear it. Even if it is theory.

What is the dream?

What is that little cutscene you see after killing Amelia? Are you remembering something? Or is this someone else?

What is the moon presence? Is that the source of the dream?

Why is there a real world version of the dream in Yharnam?

What is the doll? Is this someone in real life?

Who is the main character? Why is the main character in Yarnam?

What is the celestial emmisary? Why are there aliens hidden in the church?

In summary, what the fuck is going on?

Also... one final question.... how can I play in daytime Yarnam?

Attempted answers:

I don't know at the moment. My current theory/best guess is a screening process for finding suitable candidates for the old ones to use/transform into their children.

I think this is the memory of Laurence. You see conversation between Laurence and Master Willem. Lore on items suggests they studied at byrgenwerth together, but sepearated due to difference ideas on becoming old ones. Laurence reckoned it was about blood, willem though it was aobut eyes on the inside (IN-sight!). The player character touches a skull in the cathedral to see this. A large beast skull. It is believed this is what became of Laurence.

No idea on the moon presence. Gatekeeper to the old ones? Fuck knows.

Because the hunter's workshop was a real thing, back in the early days of the church. It was eventually abandoned after Old Yarnham was set ablaze. I figure Gehrman has been captured by the moon presence, and his dream (the Hunter's Dream) is used to find strong humans for the old ones..?

Fuck knows about doll. A bit weird.

No idea on the main character. I think the main character is in Yarnham to find Paleblood - even before the note, during the opening cutscene the dialogue suggests (to me at least) that the player's character has asked about it before reciveng blood ministration. It could be that we also have some illness that can't be cured. but that seems wooly and there's nothing in game to suggest that (it was suggested in pre-release materials though)

The celestial emissary and blue things AREN'T ALIENS. They are people that have been experimented on in an attempt to create cosmic children. They are referred to as 'kin' in the game; kin of the cosmos/great ones. Lumenflower gardens is in the orphanage.. did you see any children there? Shudder. I wonder if the name indicates they literally harvest them..

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S ACTUALLY GOING ON.

I wish we could play in daytime Yarnham, it looks so lush!