Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

I think this is right...

Most weapons have the following different attacks:

R1, R1, R1... combo

R1, L1 switch attack (try following with another L1 for another reverse-switch attack)

R1, R1, L1 different switch attack

Running R1

Running R2

Rolling R1

Rolling R2

Backstep R1

Backstep R2

Jumping R2 (Up + R2 simultaneously) (Learn this move!)

R2 charge (not switched)

R2 charge (switched) (not all weapons)

Anything that you hold two handed has another attack on L2 when switched (instead of a gunshot)

There's loads to try and switch attacks in particular can be great. The saw cleaver becomes good at crowd control with R1, L1.

Edit - added as dood's post

I've used the jump attack a fair bit, but I've only just started using the running attack. It's a-nice! Haven't really got the hang of transforming attacks though.

I do tend to rely very heavily on the fully charged R2 on the RS. Need to break that habit, as if I'm lazy with my timings I can get caught napping.

You carry over all your items and your chalice dungeon progress, but you lose all your keys and items that act as keys and have to re-open all the shortcuts again.

NG+ is really fun because you are empowered to play the game in different ways and you can accrue echoes a lot more quickly. It is good time to try out the multiplayer features (esp as the multiplayer seems to just work on level and not restrict by NG cycle), work out really efficient ways of progressing, explore the environment and lore in-depth, delve into the really difficult chalice dungeons, experiment with different weapons, or just see how high you can take your level and how many NG cycles you can progress through.

Of course you should also start a new character as well and astonish yourself with how quickly you can finish the game once you know what you are doing/where you are going!

I use running attacks quite a lot in place of pebbles to aggro a couple of guys, then leg it away again. Haven't used the jump attack at all to my knowledge.

I also don't tend to switch stuff mid-fight. I use the LHB, and I find I tend to use one form or the other depending on who I'm fighting, but I definitely under-use the switch moves. I should practice!

You carry over all your items and your chalice dungeon progress, but you lose all your keys and items that act as keys and have to re-open all the shortcuts again.

NG+ is really fun because you are empowered to play the game in different ways and you can accrue echoes a lot more quickly. It is good time to try out the multiplayer features (esp as the multiplayer seems to just work on level and not restrict by NG cycle), work out really efficient ways of progressing, explore the environment and lore in-depth, delve into the really difficult chalice dungeons, experiment with different weapons, or just see how high you can take your level and how many NG cycles you can progress through.

Of course you should also start a new character as well and astonish yourself with how quickly you can finish the game once you know what you are doing/where you are going!

Ok, so basically just like in RE4 where you can start the game with all your gear and rip through it in no time.

Meh, I'm not fussed about that, especially as multiplayer/online doesn't interest me much. If I still feel like doing it after I start a new game, I'll do it for my third go.

I haven't tried a Chalice Dungeon yet. Are they just bonus random dungeons?

Quit early tonight. The SoY just aren't having it. I've fought them five times and all but one, I've lasted less than 15 seconds. I'm not sure where it's all going wrong. I'm now wielding a LHB+7, which if you catch it right, can do over 1000 damage. But I'm barely scratching them with it.

Went to CC and faced ML for the first time. But as I'd stumbled in there (as usual) I got out fast as I was carrying enough echoes to level up.

Didn't achieve much tonight, but got a bloody good start for tomorrow.

I haven't tried a Chalice Dungeon yet. Are they just bonus random dungeons?

Some of them are preset and they are key to understanding the main story (and you will need to do them if you want to see all the bosses and/or get the platinum). I don't know what level you are, but I'd consider having a go at them before you get too far in the game or at least before you finish the first playthrough because they are pretty dull if you start them when you are overlevelled.

As you explore the preset dungeons, you will find more chalices that let you generate random dungeons. Some of these are extremely difficult and intended for co-op, but you get rewarded with variant weapons and more powerful gems. Basically it is just very challenging end game content. Some people also use various dungeons as PvP arenas if you get into that (although actually I think just invading people is more fun in this than organised PvP).

I'm not 100% sure if they are worth it or not. I sort of play them in short bursts. They can get quite samey.

I've been thinking about it, and I think SoY is my favourite boss so far.

Goose, I think my tips would be as follows:

As you walk in, there's a big tombstone thing to the right of centre. This object is key, as you can use it to hide from the projectiles of the projectile guy. So don't engage the dudes at all, and drag them away from that pillar. Then run back towards it, and hide behind it whilst the melee sword guy closes fast. Dodge/parry/visceral him (and/or the other guy too) keeping an eye on where they all have got to. If they close in, do another lap of the room so the projectile guy doesn't close in. You can sometimes get a couple of hits on the projectile guy as you're running past, but really my focus was on the melee one.

Then, once they switch up to phase 2, it's more of the same, only taking more care. Then go all out on the projectile guy using everything you have to do damage.

If you're struggling to flat-out survive 15-30 seconds, focus on staying alive rather than doing any damage at all. And don't get trapped on the scenery.

Davros, NG+ is Hard Mode, but it's that mode with everything unlocked, so the approach is entirely yours. Only keys don't stay, so progress through the world will be the same. Enemies are designed to be fought with +9 and +10 weapons. (Gems become more important).

Once you finish NG+, NG++ is harder still. Older Souls games go up to NG+7 before the difficulty stops increasing but I've seen talk of +9 for this one.

Thanks for the tips, Uncle Mike, much appreciated. Davros,

I've tried taking the sword dude first but I think I need to follow more along the lines of what Mike had said, I need to seek the cover rather than taking the fight to them - it's way too easy to get hit by all three of them very quickly otherwise

It's a fight I know I can win, so at the moment I'm only mildly annoyed (need to reset the lifts on each run, rather than having to keep calling them each time I die). I can now get from the lamp to the fight in about 45 seconds - easily do-able without having to fight a single thing as well.

CC - I took a step back and systematically killed everything as I went. At one point I got out of an open window but then dropped down too far and missed an object :D Walking around the rooftops was great though, but when I came to the boss I figured we could meet again later, when I wasn't carrying a fortune in echoes.

I might go back to UV first, and take out DBP - or at least give him a run for his money. LHB deals some serious damage in either mode, but is deadly against almost anything when transformed.

I think you can get from the FW lamp to SoY in about 20 seconds if you locate the other shortcut.

I use the obvious lift at the lamp, then there's a door down and to the right from the first big snake monster you can open. I don't use the lift in the windmill.

Iosefka

Isn't voiced by two different actresses. Those quoted lines are all by the same actress.

Otherwise, impressive theorising!

You're right, it is further along in her timeline though.

Looking through some of her dialogue after she has changed voice she's even more explicit. For instance, "And cheers, to the discovery of kinship, doesn't it make you feel warm inside?" followed by an insane laugh. A few other points I missed out, you are of course seen as an outsider when you arrive in Thebes/Yharnam. The mobs hatred of you, their description of you as cursed also makes sense against this incestuous backdrop. On the subject of the mob, Thebes was founded by the Spartoi, 'sown men' who came from the ground equipped with weapons. Once you fight Rom and discover the bell ringers, that's exactly how the mob emerge.

There's also something to do with leukaemia, which translates as white blood - pale blood is obviously a theme in BB. Leukaemia is commonly treated with blood transfusions from healthy donors, another common theme in the game. Also Iosefka loosely translates from Greek as iós - virus, and λευκό or lef̱kó - white. Lef̱kó is also the etymological root of Leukaemia. The Surgical Long Gloves mention this "When a cancer is discovered. one must pinpoint its location, reach in, and wrench it from the host's bosom" Quite how this all fits together I can't say, I'm just trying to make the most of a fertile imagination and a largely failed attempt at a classical education.

I always figured paleblood was related to..

the moon / sky on the night of the ritual. Kinda thought it was cool that it wasn't anything to do with actual blood.

I still wonder about our player character's motives.. During the opening cutscene, the firs thing the guy administering the blood says is 'Oh yes.. Paleblood. Well, you've come to the right place!', kinda suggesting that our character is already asking about it before reading that note in the clinic.. WTF IS GOING ON MAN.

Did anyone get through the game without using certain inventory items? I don't think I've used the Bone marrow ash once so far.

*empties pockets, a billion Shining Coins fall out*

To be fair, I'm the sort who plays games with a pen and paper beside me so that I can note down and cross off all of the routes I've opened/explored. That, and I picked up a few hints from online chatter. :)

I think this is right...

Most weapons have the following different attacks:

R1, R1, R1... combo

R1, L1 switch attack (try following with another L1 for another reverse-switch attack)

R1, R1, L1 different switch attack

Running R1

Running R2

Rolling R1

Rolling R2

Backstep R1

Backstep R2

Jumping R2 (Up + R2 simultaneously) (Learn this move!)

R2 charge (not switched)

R2 charge (switched) (not all weapons)

Anything that you hold two handed has another attack on L2 when switched (instead of a gunshot)

There's loads to try and switch attacks in particular can be great. The saw cleaver becomes good at crowd control with R1, L1.

Edit - added as dood's post

Worth noting that not all weapons have a charge R2 (e.g. cane in whip mode), and that some have combos from their charge R2s (e.g Ludwig's in transform mode, after the full charge R2 you can hit R2 again for an additional hit).

And separately, some people don't realise that going for a bosses head is usually the best idea, and that many weapons have long / vertical / overhead swings that are designed to hit bosses in the head. Perfect for this is ludwig's transformed L2 combos. I've cooped a few Amygdalas.. And the number of people who obliviously hack away at the feet (paltry 20-30 damage a shot!) while I pinball his head all over the shop is insane! Sure, a lot of bosses have limbs that can be damage/trigger a stagger, but always check the damage numbers!!

I always figured paleblood was related to..

the moon / sky on the night of the ritual. Kinda thought it was cool that it wasn't anything to do with actual blood.

I still wonder about our player character's motives.. During the opening cutscene, the firs thing the guy administering the blood says is 'Oh yes.. Paleblood. Well, you've come to the right place!', kinda suggesting that our character is already asking about it before reading that note in the clinic.. WTF IS GOING ON MAN.

Maybe I am stupid and there is an obvious answer to this, but on lore questions, I have been wondering:

If the player character is an outsider, as everyone in Yharnam tells them, where are they actually from?

Maybe I am stupid and there is an obvious answer to this, but on lore questions, I have been wondering:

If the player character is an outsider, as everyone in Yharnam tells them, where are they actually from?

If I'm not completely chatting shite then the Bloodborne equivalent of Corinth. I'm not sure it's that important though and it's not mentioned, far as I know.

Depends on your origin innit. You don't actually know where the player is from in any of Miyazaki's games.

The fact that you have an origin story at all implies that you are from somewhere and had a life before you rolled up in Yharnam. I guess I'm just wondering if Yharnam is in a wider fantasy world like Lordran or Drangleic (in which case what is it called?) or if it is just some weird dream place/state.

Another thing I noticed:

The white moon when viewed from Hunter's Dream prior to Rom looks like it has a forest on its left hand side as you look at it (or at least it looks sort of furry).

Other things I wonder about off the top of my head:

When you are in Hunter's Dream, are the pillars in the distance other Hunter's Dreams?

Were all hunters outsiders originally?

Who is the guy in the clinic in the opening cutscene?

Who leaves the note in the first room telling you to "Seek Paleblood..."?

Are you a vampire?

When you hear a bell ringing, does this signal that someone has defeated a boss in another world like it did with the Gargoyles in DS1?

Do you think Bloodborne is in any way connected, even tenuously, with DS1 or any of the other games? Theme of ringing bells, Patches, Marvellous Chester.

@oli

Pebble one, kite them all away, you should have a gap for a quick lash out at the nearest, dodge and keep running. Do a loop around the chapel, use the stairs, they'll gib the chase eventually. Let them reset and repeat. Don't try to take three on inside the chapel. And try to leave the one who stands on the spiral staircase until last, as he is easy to sneak up on and visceral from behind, and he won't chase you very far once you aggro him.

What is up with TOR?

Scariest looking boss so far, surrounded by bell ladies, but I just stood next to it charging R2 until it was dead. I don't even think I used a blood vial. Did I accidentally glitch it or is it actually that easy?

You got quite lucky but that's the recognised way of killing him!

I have to say I think NG + is easier in this than the 3 Souls games, I'm smashing everyone first time.

edit: I say that but 2 of the plague doctor guys just killed me and then I fell down a hole going back for my bloodcoinz

Also smashed an invader when I was bro-opping, he was not very happy about it :lol:

post-8803-0-63789400-1430851542_thumb.jp

this is why I'm glad there's no messaging on Mario Kart other than I'M EXCITED

I think you can get from the FW lamp to SoY in about 20 seconds if you locate the other shortcut.

I use the obvious lift at the lamp, then there's a door down and to the right from the first big snake monster you can open. I don't use the lift in the windmill.

Hmm - I go -

From the lamp, through the house and down the lift. Out the lift and right down the path part of the way, then left and over the bridge (past a snake guy) into the barn. Straight through to the second lift, then out and down the curve path to the left, which leads to the fireflies pool. Left, past the first pig, then keep going sort of veering slightly right, past the second pig and down the corridor to SOY.