Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

Yeah, I escaped and thought I'd give them a whirl now that I'd met a few of them alone.

They're such bastards in pairs, it's unreal - though a charged R2 with the axe helps a lot.

Mm, the extended axe's charged R2 is excellent for the sack folk. I'm as far as WoH in this playthrough and haven't yet been kidnapped whilst running through CW, thanks to the axe. Of course, I'll probably have to purposely let myself be taken at some point just to do the extra stuff. :)

Yes, although I am a bit blasé about that now, as the RS thrust attack will go through multiple enemies if they are close enough together.

On another subject I remain massively impressed with the way the game looks. It got a bit murky for a bit in FW, but after that...

Bloodbornetrade_20150504181237_zpscgfrkv

Bloodbornetrade_20150504150813_zpshf5jly

Bloodbornetrade_20150504021827_zpscvzmay

Bloodbornetrade_20150504021445_zpsq5ubiz

Bloodbornetrade_20150503170517_zpsok1zrq

Bloodbornetrade_20150503180309_zpslgxhik

The variety on display is amazing.

Certainly in the section of UV that you probably see first involuntarily, you dont need to face two sackguys at once in either of the two locations I know where two spawn. At the lamp two, you can aggro the first before he gets to his mate. At the later two, you can trap them at a doorway.

In other news, SoY is dead! After maybe 4 back-to-back efforts (and at each one, I reclaimed my souls, so I didn't even lose anything!)

I think I might have successfully saved a clip which I'll try to upload, but it was basically a case of kiting to start with, and getting decent parries on the two melee ones. Then when I was down to the last, a bit of bolt paper to shorten the fight.

It went well! Heart pounding again at the end of it. Fuck.

Now I'm in B, the next area. I've knocked off a hunter, and found and used a key. Time to explore a later night, I think.

Regarding the story; there seems to me an Oedipus connection that's maybe worth exploring. Beyond the obvious blind theme there are a number of parallels to be drawn:

In Oedipus you are born to Jocasta - In Ancient Greek Ιοκαστη, which transliterates to Iokaste and means white/shining moon. In Bloodborne you are borne into the world in Iosefka's clinic.

In Oedipus you are meant to die shortly after your birth, entirely defenceless but find yourself saved by a shepherd and are then nurtured to adulthood in safety. In Bloodborne you are meant to die shortly after your birth whilst still defenceless then find safety in the hands of Gehrman (a Gehrman shepherd, geddit?). He then tells you how to survive in the world, gives you weapons and so forth.

After leaving Corinth, Oedipus finds his path blocked by the person who tried to have him killed as a baby, Oedipus kills him in a fight then enters Thebes where a Sphinx has been terrorising the City which Oedipus defeats, lifting the Sphinxes curse. In Bloodborne the first thing you encounter on returning is the beast that killed you, which you now kill. You head out into Yharnam which is being terrorised by human/beast hybrids that you defeat.

Oedipus is then handed the Theban crown and marries Jocasta, his mother becomes his wife and they have four children. In Bloodborne when you return to Iosefka her tone changes, initially "You are safe, thank goodness. But Im afraid nothing will change. I cannot open the door. Ill do what I can, of course. Perhaps this will help you, if only in some small way. Now, go. I pray for your safety." to later in the game "This night is long, but morning always comes. Someone of your calibre wont fail us, I am certain. And once the night of the hunt ends, we can speak face-to-face. Then I can finally see what you look like. I shouldnt be thinking this but I am rather looking forward to it. So please, be careful out there". Here her fondness for you changes from a maternal one to that of a lover - 'I cannot open the door' has Freudian overtones, specifically relating to the Oedipus complex and the male desire to return to his mothers womb. The, 'I shouldn't be thinking this' line in her later remark makes clear how taboo their relationship is. Miyazaki even had those two lines voiced by two different actors - presumably to emphasise Jocasta's duality as mother and wife. As you progress in the game you can send four people to Iosefka all of whom turn into mutated alien like creatures. When you return to Iosefka after defeating Rom you'll find her in labour on the very table you first emerged from.

One last bit of speculative nonsense. Thebes, the setting for Oedipus Rex, is obviously never mentioned in the game, in Bloodborne it's Yharnam, but there is something of a tenuous connection. Sony started working with From Software on Bloodborne in August 2012. A few months later Sony changed the code-name of the PS4 from Orbis to... *dramatic stab* Thebes

Or, I've maybe had one too many toots on the crack pipe today.

Anyone here with an American PS4?

I have a code for a dynamic Bloodborne theme that can only be used on machines from the States.

Raises hand, yes please if it's still going.

Another cool bit of lore/wordplay from Miyazaki via the thesis I linked on the last page (spoilered for boss name):

The old blood everyone is gorging on as patrons of the healing church has the descriptor of being more potent than alcohol, and too much of it turns men into blood-drunk beasts. This blood is supposedly drawn from Ebriatas, the old one held behind the healing church in Upper CW. InEbriatas is latin for intoxicated. Hence our use of inebriated.

Regarding the story; there seems to me an Oedipus connection that's maybe worth exploring. Beyond the obvious blind theme there are a number of parallels to be drawn:

In Oedipus you are born to Jocasta - In Ancient Greek Ιοκαστη, which transliterates to Iokaste and means white/shining moon. In Bloodborne you are borne into the world in Iosefka's clinic.

In Oedipus you are meant to die shortly after your birth, entirely defenceless but find yourself saved by a shepherd and are then nurtured to adulthood in safety. In Bloodborne you are meant to die shortly after your birth whilst still defenceless then find safety in the hands of Gehrman (a Gehrman shepherd, geddit?). He then tells you how to survive in the world, gives you weapons and so forth.

After leaving Corinth, Oedipus finds his path blocked by the person who tried to have him killed as a baby, Oedipus kills him in a fight then enters Thebes where a Sphinx has been terrorising the City which Oedipus defeats, lifting the Sphinxes curse. In Bloodborne the first thing you encounter on returning is the beast that killed you, which you now kill. You head out into Yahrnam which is being terrorised by human/beast hybrids that you defeat.

Oedipus is then handed the Theban crown and marries Jocasta, his mother becomes his wife and they have four children. In Bloodborne when you return to Iosefka her tone changes, initially "You are safe, thank goodness. But Im afraid nothing will change. I cannot open the door. Ill do what I can, of course. Perhaps this will help you, if only in some small way. Now, go. I pray for your safety." to later in the game "This night is long, but morning always comes. Someone of your calibre wont fail us, I am certain. And once the night of the hunt ends, we can speak face-to-face. Then I can finally see what you look like. I shouldnt be thinking this but I am rather looking forward to it. So please, be careful out there". Here her fondness for you changes from a maternal one to that of a lover - 'I cannot open the door' has Freudian overtones, specifically relating to the Oedipus complex and the male desire to return to his mothers womb. The, 'I shouldn't be thinking this' line in her later remark makes clear how taboo their relationship is. Miyazaki even had those two lines voiced by two different actors - presumably to emphasise Jocasta's duality as mother and wife. As you progress in the game you can send four people to Iosefka all of whom turn into mutated alien like creatures. When you return to Iosefka after defeating Rom you'll find her in labour on the very table you first emerged from.

One last bit of speculative nonsense. Thebes, the setting for Oedipus Rex, is obviously never mentioned in the game, in Bloodborne it's Yarnham, but there is something of a tenuous connection. Sony started working with From Software on Bloodborne in August 2012. A few months later Sony changed the code-name of the PS4 from Orbis to... *dramatic stab* Thebes

Or, I've maybe had one too many toots on the crack pipe today.

Iosefka

Isn't voiced by two different actresses. Those quoted lines are all by the same actress.

Otherwise, impressive theorising!

She is, it's in the credits.

Doctor Iosefka - Jenny Funnell

Impostor Doctor - Lucy Briggs-Owen

One voice actor for Iosefka and then one for the impostor. She changes tone from kindly to bloodthirsty. Finally when you get into the clinic there will be a blue experiment monster who drops Iosefka's vial. Everything suggests this is the real Iosefka.

The impostor enters the clinic and tries to get you to send people there by pretending to have good intentions. Anyone you do send will become a blue monster.

If you meet the impostor (by entering the back room of the clinic via Forbidden Woods before killing Rom) then she tries to kill you. If you decide not to take on on then she congratulates you on your 'wise' choice and when you speak to her behind the clinic door she is open about the fact she is experimenting on anyone you send back.

She is, it's in the credits.

Doctor Iosefka - Jenny Funnell

Impostor Doctor - Lucy Briggs-Owen

One voice actor for Iosefka and then one for the impostor. She changes tone from kindly to bloodthirsty. Finally when you get into the clinic there will be a blue experiment monster who drops Iosefka's vial. Everything suggests this is the real Iosefka.

The impostor enters the clinic and tries to get you to send people there by pretending to have good intentions. Anyone you do send will become a blue monster.

If you meet the impostor (by entering the back room of the clinic via Forbidden Woods before killing Rom) then she tries to kill you. If you decide not to take on on then she congratulates you on your 'wise' choice and when you speak to her behind the clinic door she is open about the fact she is experimenting on anyone you send back.

I know timmo, that's what I was trying to imply without potentially spoiling anything for anyone who clicked my spoiler. ;)

I'm starting to get items now that I can't use due to not enough Arcane points. Outside of Bloodtinge and Arcane, I'm pretty evenly spread otherwise - the other 4 stats are all 23-25 at the moment, I think. I put enough Bloodtinge on to be able to wield the RS I found in OY, and that's it, so both Blood and Arc are at 9, I think.

Is it ever worth getting to use the items? Or would that just be a different build/run through?

Did anyone get through the game without using certain inventory items? I don't think I've used the Bone marrow ash once so far.

I've been using it in my attempt to spam ML, but I only just realised it only works once per bullet. I'd thought it was timed.

It does good damage though. I'm tempted to go full Bloodtinge if I do another build.

I'm starting to get items now that I can't use due to not enough Arcane points. Outside of Bloodtinge and Arcane, I'm pretty evenly spread otherwise - the other 4 stats are all 23-25 at the moment, I think. I put enough Bloodtinge on to be able to wield the RS I found in OY, and that's it, so both Blood and Arc are at 9, I think.

Is it ever worth getting to use the items? Or would that just be a different build/run through?

The latter, I think. I've been selling all my Arcane items.

Only reason I made sure I had the full set was working towards the Platinum. From what I've read, they're a bit gimmicky, apart from maybe

Beast Roar

I haven't actually used a single one of them so far in (nearly) two playthroughs.

Gimmicky? Pfft.

Minor spoilers

disguising yourself as a messenger to surprise an invader? Turbo dodges with quicker recovery time? Yes please!

Selling them seems a bit mad, if you end up playing ng+ you'll have tons of souls spare to bring your arcane up to speed! :)

Gimmicky? Pfft.

Minor spoilers

disguising yourself as a messenger to surprise an invader? Turbo dodges with quicker recovery time? Yes please!

Selling them seems a bit mad, if you end up playing ng+ you'll have tons of souls spare to bring your arcane up to speed! :)

Don't forget the

Tiny Tonitrus is awesome and can stagger enemies from distance, it is awesome. I've got a boss fight in the Chalice Dungeons, where I use it at the end of the fight to stagger the boss for an easy kill.

I think this is right...

Most weapons have the following different attacks:

R1, R1, R1... combo

R1, L1 switch attack (try following with another L1 for another reverse-switch attack)

R1, R1, L1 different switch attack

Running R1

Running R2

Rolling R1

Rolling R2

Backstep R1

Backstep R2

Jumping R2 (Up + R2 simultaneously) (Learn this move!)

R2 charge (not switched)

R2 charge (switched) (not all weapons)

Anything that you hold two handed has another attack on L2 when switched (instead of a gunshot)

There's loads to try and switch attacks in particular can be great. The saw cleaver becomes good at crowd control with R1, L1.

Edit - added as dood's post

If anyone cares enough to have been bothered by my lack of content last night... Full apologies, was a busy bank holiday weekend with the family so something had to give. I will be back next Monday at 8PM though.

Running / rolling / back stepping R2 is a thing, too. The RS transformed mode back step R2 is sick :wub:

Oh and switch combos are much more likely to guard break / stagger enemies and interrupt their animations.

Gimmicky? Pfft.

Minor spoilers

Yes my god, don't sell shit. In NG+, you will have more echoes than you know what to do with, particularly if you cap your build for multiplayer.

A lot of times people in these games will insist that a build or a weapon or whatever are useless and then someone comes along and proves otherwise and you will really wish you'd held on to those items (esp with no respec). Recent example, everyone was saying that Poison was terrible in a gem slot, but then some Japanese players have been using Poison builds that are slaughtering people.

Also they will probably doing some balance patches to make certain builds more viable and nerf others or make it easier to upgrade things (or even give people the ability to respec). You don't know where the game will go. DS2 went through a bunch of different metas (and may still do so).

Ok, but I was planning on simply starting a new game (if indeed I do play it again, which is looking increasingly likely). Is NG+ where you carry over all your items? I'm not sure I'd bother with that anyway.

If anyone cares enough to have been bothered by my lack of content last night... Full apologies, was a busy bank holiday weekend with the family so something had to give. I will be back next Monday at 8PM though.

I actually forgot as it was a bank holiday, but I'll be watching next week!