Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

Made my way into HCL and the wooded area, and with a Bloodtinge character it was quite a different experience when taking on those rifle huntsmen as I was dodging and weaving and exchanging gunfire :D

I've also finally reached a point at which my L-hand attacks are either matching or exceeding the base values for R-hand attacks (for Milquetoast origin) :lol:

x2HVROY.jpg

Took me a good ten attempts before I found the right rhythm. It's another fantastic boss fight..

I am baffled, and slightly incredulous, by those who claim to have beaten boss X, Y or Z on their first or even second attempts as all of them so far, bar one, have presented me with challenges that initially seem insurmountable.

If you've played these games before, you kind of know what's up with most of the bosses, even puzzle/gimmick ones - people aren't making it up when they say they have done bosses on the first or second try! SoY for example is very similar to a boss fight in DS2, but easier because you have a massive tombstone to dance around.

Also parrying is better, but a lot easier in this because you do it from a distance and the parry window is comparatively generous (the other games you stand in the line of fire with yr shield, hit the parry button, and cross yr fingers that you hit the window/the enemy is actually parryable). A lot of players got through the earlier games without ever learning how to parry properly. Bloodborne's parrying makes some of the bosses fairly trivial, like BSB for example.

Anyway you will see all this when you breeze through half the bosses in Bloodborne 2!

On my second playthrough and finding the saw cleaver generally a better weapon and more fun. It's tearing everything up and it attacks so fast that most things can't hit back. ML fell on my second attempt and his AI was messed up first time I fought him. Also the switch attacks, R1, L1 and R1, R1, L1 are so effective for crowd control.

At the park. Bit jumpy. When the old geezer in the wheelchair suddenly rounded the corner and his dog started nuzzling my leg, they nearly got a few quick slashes with my tennis racket.

"He ran over my foot officer. I was only trying to regain some HP!"

I seem to be on some sort of roll.

Pre. Boss hunter in B? DOWN!

http://youtu.be/gFcHLxnLEj0

RtVS? DOWN!

http://youtu.be/oCA3HtPgfG4

That was my third attempt I think. You can see I was still trying stuff out, like the Molotovs I wasted. Again, a surprisingly easy fight.

And here's my best attempt to cheese ML. I only got him down to a third, not a quarter, but it's progress!

I started in on Y,tUV but decided to have a bit of a break as I've been absolutely gorging on the game.

ML is definitely doable, I think you might still be slightly under-leveled. His first form is about circling at all times into an ever-closing spiral and getting two hits in before backing off to avoid the punishing close range skull attack. Second form is about keeping your distance and parrying, which he is *very* susceptible to.

Yeah, I still haven't found anything I prefer to the saw cleaver I started with. LHB is pretty beastly but slow (I love getting to the point of one-handing massive weapons in the other games but in this speed feels like more of a priority), Tonitrus looks (and sounds) cool but the moveset seems a bit dull. The SD* has been the only one to really tempt me away but I find it a little tricky to use reliably since it can be tough to tell what form it's in in the heat of the moment.

stake driver

I just went through that cave in FW:

And killed Iosefka. Although the person next to the door was an alien and dropped Iosefka's vial (I still haven't used the first one :facepalm:) which I guess suggests there's more to that than meets the eye.

ML is definitely doable, I think you might still be slightly under-leveled. His first form is about circling at all times into an ever-closing spiral and getting two hits in before backing off to avoid the punishing close range skull attack. Second form is about keeping your distance and parrying, which he is *very* susceptible to.

Yes, did you see I got a parry in? So pleased when I did that. Shame I missed the next one!

I think I'm level 65-ish. Since last night I pumped another three levels into Vit.

ML boss fight today:

Attempt 9-ish (got him down to 1% health then adrenaline got the better of me!

Attempt 10 (Changed my outfit and beat him! Although was a bit close at the end. Interesting he starts chucking shit at me the minute I walk through the door...)

My poor heart! :lol:

Davros,

get more offensive man! Try dodging forward and around when you avoid those skull attacks.

Second, don't let him power up! Get a backstab in to prevent it. Much easier that way.

Third, keep your bullets man, they are handing for taking out his sword when he plants it.

Good luck man!

Here's my go, bear in mind I had a +9 weapon..

I'm 40-50 hours in and I don't think this has been fearsomely difficult so far. Everyone says they're rubbish at games, but I definitely am. Especially 3D action games. I have never got more than 20 mins in to the likes of DmC, Bayonetta, God Hand etc. I can't do combos, move sets or fiddly controls.

But this is actually quite gently paced and forgiving provided you're a little bit cautious, a little bit patient, a little bit thoughtful. Timing doesn't need to be perfect. You just need to make sensible tactical decisions.

There are spikes in difficulty. For me so far: bonfire, FG, OY tower hunter, VA. There's always co-op. And I reckon because I'm happy to repeat sections I've probably been slightly over-levelled for much of the game. Usually I go away and do something else and then I can progress.

Anyway, doubtless I'll get stuck in a bit and never get any further. But in general I've found most mainstream games present me with irritating brick walls that I never surmount much sooner and much more often than this one has.

Once I've finished I hope with my BB experience I find DaS similarly tractable.

That's the key thing, as long as you're prepared to persevere, you WILL eventually beat the game, either due to improving your skills or just by levelling up so you can just power your way through.

If you've played these games before, you kind of know what's up with most of the bosses, even puzzle/gimmick ones - people aren't making it up when they say they have done bosses on the first or second try! SoY for example is very similar to a boss fight in DS2, but easier because you have a massive tombstone to dance around.

Also parrying is better, but a lot easier in this because you do it from a distance and the parry window is comparatively generous (the other games you stand in the line of fire with yr shield, hit the parry button, and cross yr fingers that you hit the window/the enemy is actually parryable). A lot of players got through the earlier games without ever learning how to parry properly. Bloodborne's parrying makes some of the bosses fairly trivial, like BSB for example.

Anyway you will see all this when you breeze through half the bosses in Bloodborne 2!

Sorry, I wasn't doubting the first encounterers, more incredulous as in finding it incredible. Which, in hindsight, would have been clearer and more appropriate...

I so still amazed though as I take an age to work out a boss and even longer to actually defeat it.

Watching Davros fight the SoY (which was a great battle, btw), I was reminded of something in an ENB video. He said he gets a lot of people saying to him that he must do something when he fights bosses because they aren't as wild when he fights them, as when they do.

Whenever I've fought SoY, one is near constantly spamming me with projectiles to the point where I'm getting hitting by the second wave when I'm still recovering from the first. The katana guy is in face almost straight away, and I really struggle to get away from him. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Wasn't going to play tonight because I really need to get back into the habit of writing, but watching Davros' video has made me think I can take them. You got some great hits in, and at one point I thought 'that was some incredible dodging there'. I've been going with LHB because of its speed, but watching you with the RS, you killed one of them in only a few solid hits.

Excellent work.

And on a purely selfish level, I liked it when we were both at around the same place, but you've gone on to more victories! I will return to Central Yarnham and play around the bonfire instead.

"He ran over my foot officer. I was only trying to regain some HP!"

I seem to be on some sort of roll.

Pre. Boss hunter in B? DOWN!

http://youtu.be/gFcHLxnLEj0

RtVS? DOWN!

http://youtu.be/oCA3HtPgfG4

That was my third attempt I think. You can see I was still trying stuff out, like the Molotovs I wasted. Again, a surprisingly easy fight.

Nice work. You made both look easy, which isn't my experience at all!

Although I have since defeated that hunter. Using some very cheesy tactics..

Watching Davros fight the SoY (which was a great battle, btw), I was reminded of something in an ENB video. He said he gets a lot of people saying to him that he must do something when he fights bosses because they aren't as wild when he fights them, as when they do.

Whenever I've fought SoY, one is near constantly spamming me with projectiles to the point where I'm getting hitting by the second wave when I'm still recovering from the first. The katana guy is in face almost straight away, and I really struggle to get away from him. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Wasn't going to play tonight because I really need to get back into the habit of writing, but watching Davros' video has made me think I can take them. You got some great hits in, and at one point I thought 'that was some incredible dodging there'. I've been going with LHB because of its speed, but watching you with the RS, you killed one of them in only a few solid hits.

Excellent work.

Indeed, I have seen some encounters which have looked a lot easier than others and wondered why that was.

My experience of SoY was similar to yours in that I found them to be incredibly, and relentlessly aggressive. I did eventually get into a rhythm and defeat them fairly comfortably though. I used LHB..

I think that's part of the problem, I need to get comfortable with the fighting them. I know it will come, like with BSB and VA. I reach either an almost zen like state or as with VA, relentlessly aggressive.

ENB said for some bosses, there's a point where you can stand, and you get neither the long range attacks or the short attacks. That he has no special cheat or strategy, and the bosses are as wild for him as they are for others.

I do think insight plays into somewhat too. It has to given the effect it can have on other creatures in the game (just watch that video about things you missed in CW to see that).

There is no way I would not describe this game as hard. It's just really good, which makes you persevere.

I think that's the genius of it (and DS for me). Any other game you (as in one) would throw in the towel and walk away, trade it in for a Lego game. But with Bloodborne, you keep going. You dust off, make more of a dent, get killed, dust off, make more of a dent. Wander somewhere else, come back, kill the boss.

I've said before regarding DS, but I honestly have NO idea how they get that balance. They must play-test the game for 100000000s of man hours. Forget how well the world interconnects (which in itself is pure brilliance), that balance is the key for me.

Excellent work.

And on a purely selfish level, I liked it when we were both at around the same place, but you've gone on to more victories! I will return to Central Yarnham and play around the bonfire instead.

I think certain bosses just click. With RtVS I decided to ignore the minions, just as Timmo advised for the WoH, and I tried using Bolt Paper. That was it.

For the SoY

I think I just feel more comfortable against normal human sized enemies.

. They're just not as intimidating as say VA. Also there is a lot of cover in the arena.

As for dodging, I've only recently realised that I was regularly dodging too early. Panic dodging if you like. There is a window of invincibility which is what makes it look like you're sailing past attacks if you time it right.

Edit: oh yeah, and shooting too. I think the whole "guns don't exist in this game to do damage" thing is BS. My levelled up hunter pistol is really strong against certain enemies now.

Ugh, UV is an area I am really disliking. Those tall guys with the sacks are stupidly difficult.

Cleared a Chalice Dungeon tho - that big fire dog thing was easy once you learned not to be scared of his attacks and just keep an eye out for his dashes.