Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

Just tried a chalice dungeon for the first time, using the chalice you get from BSB (I think, wherever you first get one.) haven't really got a clue what drives them, or what they're for, but I worked my way down to level 2 and killed a boss along the way. They're a very different challenge from what I've seen to date (I'm to the first lamp in FW) with traps and spawns and surprise materialising bad guys.

Hmm.

Oddly I had the third of the possible endings, and yet I found her doing exactly what you described during NG+.

I actually panicked for a minute when I couldn't find her in her usual spot! Dolly, nooooooo! :facepalm:

She does that during ng as well though, near the door at the back of the workshop. Was it a different gravestone to that one?

Tried playing this again tonight and I just can't see where the enjoyment is meant to come from.

Started new, got a bit, died. Got to trek the same old route, dead. And repeat.

It just doesn't appear to be fun whatsoever. I'm clearly missing something because this game seems to have gotten universal praise but I'm finding it an absolute bore!

I'd even go as far as to say it's the worst game I've paid money for this gen and that frustrates the hell out of me because I'm trying my best to like it :(

I think the worst thing you can do if stuck is just bang your head against the game, using the same approach over and over. Try playing it differently, go explore somewhere else or even just come back another time.

Tried playing this again tonight and I just can't see where the enjoyment is meant to come from.

Started new, got a bit, died. Got to trek the same old route, dead. And repeat.

It just doesn't appear to be fun whatsoever. I'm clearly missing something because this game seems to have gotten universal praise but I'm finding it an absolute bore!

I'd even go as far as to say it's the worst game I've paid money for this gen and that frustrates the hell out of me because I'm trying my best to like it :(

Did you watch any of the beginners guides that have been posted? It sounds like you've not yet grasped how the game is meant to be played. I can understand how you feel because I had a very similar experience with Demons Souls. I thought it was shite! I do still think it's incredibly unwelcoming, and the setting doesn't appeal in the same way to me as Bloodborne, but now that I get how these games work I find myself wondering anew if the fault was mine.

I almost want to see a video of you playing, as even though it is hard, you shouldn't be dying that much. I think that partly the reputation of these games precedes them, which can be intimidating, so it surprised me when I was actually able to play the first section up to just past the bonfire on my first go. Of course I then died. A lot. But even if you do die, you can just run back to where you died (hold circle to sprint) re-claim your echoes, and carry on.

Where have you got up to exactly?

Guys I'm fucked.

CC

Does anyone know if I can get the horse carriage to Cainhurst Castle to appear and take me there again?

I went there a couple of bosses ago and had my arse handed to me, so left without lighting the lamp.

Glad I'm not the only one to find the whole abbreviations thing not only really irritating but also quite unnecessary...

And yet I've just had a couple of things that would have been nice to discover for myself spoiled for me - CC

(I now know that at some point in the game I'll be going to a castle on a horse drawn carriage).

The abbreviations hurt nobody, and mildly irritate a small minority. If you can't instantly work out the abbreviation of somewhere you've already been, then it's a wonder you can read at all.

Regardless, too many more spoilers and I'll be sitting out the whole thread (which until this whinging about abbreviations started up had been an absolute joy), until I've finished the game. :(

I'm using a combination of LHB, the axe and the RS. Pretty much everything, save for bigger enemies, went down in one charged attack in the FW. But the danger with using the charged attack on the RS is that the reach is so long that it becomes deceptive. The amount of times I've done it wrong, and the attack has stopped short, only for me to get whacked in the face.

It's also great going back to the start of the game and just laying waste to everyone. Even that huge executioner guy right near the start.

Quite right mods, although shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

I'm out. See you in a few weeks.

Yes, sorry, I've not long got up and only just come into the thread. Also spoiled that bit for me too, as I don't think I knew we'd be going there.

Question about an NPC in FW -

As you go up a certain path, you come to a number of dogs in cages (or out of them if unlucky). An NPC in a house tells you that something to the left of the great chapel will be of help to you. Is he referring to the thing you find in Hemwick? For using the runes? Because he mentions going LEFT at the chapel which does lead to Hemwick. Going right eventually takes you to that round room with the locked door.

Guys I'm fucked.

CC

Does anyone know if I can get the horse carriage to Cainhurst Castle to appear and take me there again?

I went there a couple of bosses ago and had my arse handed to me, so left without lighting the lamp.

I believe for this playthrough, you cannot get back there.

Had a phenomenal fight with an evil red BSB in a dungeon tonight, cunt barely got a hit in. Then there were 2 bell women summoning spiders. It was rough but they went down. Then I fucked up a backstab and got wrecked by one of those screaming women who batter you with a dead body. 400k in souls to fight my way back to...

I spent my evening getting battered by VA on ng+. God she's tough! Last fight ended in me almost getting her and spending all my numbing mists on the attempt. It failed of course [emoji19]. Tomorrow she's going down though!

The abbreviations hurt nobody, and mildly irritate a small minority. If you can't instantly work out the abbreviation of somewhere you've already been, then it's a wonder you can read at all.

No need to be a dick is there?

I started a second run of this today. I picked the threaded cane and blunderbuss and went with a Professional origin, and I'm having a whale of a time! The starting area was an absolute nightmare on my first run, to start with at least, but this time I was tearing it apart. :D

I love the threaded cane. It's really nippy in its normal form, and as a whip it it's pretty great against crowds. It's also allowed me to take out the first two bosses in one go. I wasn't going to bother uploading them again, but what the hell. That FG fight was cool.

Did you watch any of the beginners guides that have been posted? It sounds like you've not yet grasped how the game is meant to be played. I can understand how you feel because I had a very similar experience with Demons Souls. I thought it was shite! I do still think it's incredibly unwelcoming, and the setting doesn't appeal in the same way to me as Bloodborne, but now that I get how these games work I find myself wondering anew if the fault was mine.

You should definitely go back to Demon's Souls! I went back myself after Dark Souls finally clicked and suddenly I loved it.

They sing and have many eyes

Aha! Still don't get the abbreviation though, hehe. Anyway..

sedatives. You've probably got at least one rune with frenzy resist. And you've equipped your highest frenzy resist gear, too right?

If that grab is getting you, dodge really really late. If you have a heavy weapon like Ludwig's, use slow attacks to stun lock them.

Good luck. Those things usually guard the good shit! :D

Question about an NPC in FW -

As you go up a certain path, you come to a number of dogs in cages (or out of them if unlucky). An NPC in a house tells you that something to the left of the great chapel will be of help to you. Is he referring to the thing you find in Hemwick? For using the runes? Because he mentions going LEFT at the chapel which does lead to Hemwick. Going right eventually takes you to that round room with the locked door.

That round room with the big locked door is indeed where you take the TS item that the NPC gives you.

Now that reaching the 'end' has sunk in a bit, I do feel a little bit lost. I usually have three or four games on the go at once due to my terrible attention span but have played Bloodborne solidly for a month (save an hour or two of Rock Band and Affordable Space Adventures). I know there's the souls games, but I played Demon's and Dark and neither of them absorbed me quite like this did. I can't remember the last time I intentionally lengthened a game, but once I realised I was at the last boss I went back and explored the four(!) areas I had missed on my first playthrough just to drag it out a bit. One attempt in the last battle, as the music began to swell and the health bar came agonisingly close to the end, I genuinely think something in the corner of my mind caused me to die intentionally so it wasn't over.

I'm never going to have the first time again and that makes me quite sad. Thinking about what to play next leaves me feeling a bit empty. I think I may have to take a break from games for a bit.