Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

Loving NG+, such a great feeling to stride through these familiar areas and deliver a solid whupping to everything. Played five hours or so today and rinsed Central Yarnham, HG, CW and OY, slaughtering CB, Gazza, VA and BSB on the way in 1, 2 or 3 tries. And have also opened FW and NoM and been killing hunters left and right. Despite the supposed difficulty hike with NG+ I'm finding it quite a bit easier and actually a lot more fun. Either it is objectively easier, or I'm getting better. Probably a bit of both. Highly recommended to those considering running through again.

This is pretty much the best game I have ever played. And I still have DaS and DaS2 to look forward to.

One good thing is that I was able to buy the BB and get it straight to +9 (could go +10, haven't decided what to spend that on yet). I am trying it out. Wondering if I should change tack completely and go with the cane or saw cleaver. Hmm.

This morning I tried to do some chalice stuff but found it a bit soulless by myself, am going to try coop them I think.

So.. Ha! Chalk me up as another who finished this morning. :D

I chose the option I wanted.. to wake up! :D Kinda liked that ending, though obviously a bit anticlimactic if you wanted a final boss battle!! :lol: But I woke up in regular Yarnham, man!! What a relief. Looked nice in the morning sun!! Made me proper pine for a daytime level / time of day for the whole game.

But now I think I need to go back and stop Gehrman's dream for good..

So I ploughed straight into NG+.. Made it through FW and to SoY in about an hour, hehe. FG and VA took a couple of attempts each though, despite coming really close on the first attempts. Boo! But, that heart-in-mouth feeling was still there when fighting them. Yay! Quite fun just legging it through too, and you get so many bloody souls on NG+!!

I've started piling points into Arcane, managed to get up to 20 pts (level 88 I think now) so I can use pretty much all of those hunter tools.. How good is the hunter bone? Looks so awesome, can't believe I've not tried it before now!! :wub: Fun times incoming.

In terms of what I think vs. earlier games..

My only real issue is the actual length of the game, it's definitely shorter than Dark Souls. However, it is a lot more consistent in terms of design and there isn't a single area or boss I'd consider 'bad' in the same way I do about the second half of Souls 1. And Souls 2 is MASSIVE compared to this. But I can kinda understand when you think about the sheer amount of graft that goes into making worlds that look like this:

Town_square.jpg

vs this:

Here+have+a+wallpaper+of+anor+londo+_fca

The atmosphere and 1st time adventuring was probably my favourite of the series. Immense sound and graphical design. Felt genuinely uneasy a lot of the time while playing. The elation of surviving tricky encounters and beating bosses was as good as ever. DAT HEART POUND :wub:

Gutted there weren't more intriguing / longwinded NPC questlines or surprises. But that is so secondary to the exploration / combat its certainly not a dealbreaker for me.

Re: reduced weapons & play styles, feel it's a bit hard to fully judge yet, but I've really only used Ludwig's for this first playthrough, tried a little of a couple of other weapons, but I currently feel like there is still tons to learn / master. By no means did I try every single weapon in the previous game, I probably used about 5-10 max in each.

The movelist / strategies available for fighting in this still seem so much more versatile; it definitely has a bit of that quality that makes Monster Hunter so special - i.e. learning the movesets / hitboxes for your attacks an using them appropriately. I smashed Amelia so much more reliably in NG+, simply because I understood more about using vertical / high reaching attacks to get her in the head and deal more damage / stun her. Gascoigne was a similarly satisfying fight as now I understand more about keeping pressure and taking advantage of his low poise.

I definitely don't miss ranged / magic options (so tedious, really!), though it's a bit sad to think the option of doing silly things like a 'bow-only' run is out of the question. It's also a bit weird that a lot of the weapons are 'hybrid' and don't favour one particular discipline; e.g. the really good skill/strength weapons also have arcane or bloodtinge attack/scaling. Seems really weird, for some reason, but I guess it just means I'll be making hybrid builds instead of purely chasing one stat.

Ultimately I still feel I've got tons to do and learn. Superb game. Easily on par with the others on this first playthrough.

Will we ever be allowed to use names in here, then hide the rest of the stuff in spoiler stuff, I really have no idea at times what is what and thats even with bits I have done, bosses and areas, i mean, its a name.

Agree, actually. I think it's worth using abbreviations / tact appropriately. For example, saying 'Cainhurst' by itself isn't a spoiler. Saying 'Forsaken Cainhurst' isn't a spoiler. But using the full name gives away *what kind* of location it is, and for me that's the kind of spoiler I'd like to avoid.

Similarly boss names are fine. I can say Amygdala and you'll have no idea what that boss is actually going to look be. I can say Amelia and it won't matter as she isn't a character you encounter anywhere else or has anything major to do with the story, and you definitely don't know what she's going to *be*. Rom, too, unless you use the full name, which again gives away what the boss actually is, so that's worth avoiding, imo. Ditto the last(ish) boss, people may not want that spoilt for obvious reasons.

Weapons are a tricky one, 'reiterpallasch' is fine, but that R.Spear.. hmmm.. would I have wanted to know such an awesome thing existed or that left hand weapon which starts with a C? Or the F.S.? Tough one, man.

It's hard though because everyone has their own take on what is/isn't a spoiler.

It's just annoying when it isn't clear if someone is talking about an area/weapon/boss, or when people abbreviate incorrectly! There was one a page or two ago.. hang on.

Edit:

Other than that, same old, same old. Managed to level up to 53 tonight as well, and got LHW up to +5.

WTF IS LHW. I mean, I know what it is, but just illustrating the point.

Weapons are a tricky one, 'BoM' is fine, but that R.Spear.. hmmm.. would I have wanted to know such an awesome thing existed or that left hand weapon which starts with a C? Or the F.S.? Tough one, man.

It's hard though because everyone has their own take on what is/isn't a spoiler.

I met every boss and never got that first weapon (which I've just changed), so that's a spoiler for me. Just abbreviate everything, if only to see LeChuck get angry.

This is what amazes me with this game. H is a whole section, with NPCs, shortcuts, a boss and five or six encounters, along with exclusive items......and it's optional! That amount of detail, the layout, and you might never see it.

And it's hardly the biggest optional area. :)

I met every boss and never got that first weapon (which I've just changed), so that's a spoiler for me. Just abbreviate everything, if only to see LeChuck get angry.

Bah I foiled myself there, the name gives away something about it, doesn't it! Replaced. :)

Yes, but so what? Far better a tiny bit of confusion than having something accidentally spoiled. I don't know what LHW is. Good!

Edit: @ dood

Well I think it stops people being able to join in the conversation. Which is a big deal to me, since this place is pretty much the only outlet I have for enthusing about games this days.

I think people in this thread could easily be like, "Wtf is HCL?" and not open a spoiler, but are more likely to remember just 'Hemwick'.

It's just annoying when it isn't clear if someone is talking about an area/weapon/boss, or when people abbreviate incorrectly! There was one a page or two ago.. hang on.

Edit:

WTF IS LHW. I mean, I know what it is, but just illustrating the point.

I didn't even get the acronym right - sorry. LHB.

Can you still jump the fence in Yarnham? Fancy doing that in my NG+

Not sure, I'm fairly confident I read somewhere the recent patch fixed a big shortcut. What does this fence hurdling gain you?

The abbreviations are annoying, I'm having to look your abbreviations up in the guide and seeing far more spoilers as a result!

What dood said works fine - no one is going to get anything spoiled by reading "Amelia" or "Gazza'. Let's be sensible here.

I went back to the Unseen Village and finished off DP on my second try, so I've gone back to the Nightmare Frontier now too. When is the best time to do that area, or doesn't it matter? I keep getting crushed by rocks and poisoned which isn't much fun, so I might leave it a bit longer and finish off SoY first.

Also, I think I fucked up the Eileen side quest because I didn't notice her in Cathedral Ward (I spoke to her earlier near the sewers) and now she's gone. Have I missed my chance with her?