Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

I want to try and go for the platinum, but

I don't think I'll have the time to finish the game three times!

If I copy my current save to a USB drive or the PSN cloud save thingy, I should be able to get around that right?

I did exactly that. End of game spoiler:

I read about the three endings when I got to what I thought was the end of the game, and copied my save file to a USB drive just before going to meet the 'final' boss. (I was extremely lucky to have three umbilical cords, having missed one and coming within a whisker of missing another.) Then I just loaded that save back onto the machine after each of the first two endings to replay it differently - the first run was a submission, after a reload the second was a refusal/fight, and the third time, I ate the umbilical cords before engaging the boss. I do have to say, having to fight the bastard twice was a fucking nightmare for me, as I found him particularly troublesome - especially with the 'help' I summoned the second time - but YMMV.

There is no complete articulation of the lore in terms of a past-present story, like the Kotaku guys did, which is disappointing. Though it does touch on the lore in isolated chunks related to items, NPCs etc. it is a missed opportunity, especially bearing in mind the delay.

But it's still open to interpretation, right? It has a really good lore index at the back though, which lists people / places / etc and then groups the items which contain lore related to them, which is good for helping you draw your own conclusions..

I like the look of the guide, but I am disappointed that it contains at least one factual inaccuracy about VA

It says that when you defeat VA the moon phase changes, which isn't true as it is when you touch the skull it changes and not before.

I know that sounds petty but it sort of stood out and makes me think what else isn't right.

The first few pages of my copy aren't quite the same paper as the rest, they feel a bit rough compared to the other pages.

Having said all that it is a lovely and large piece of work and I'm glad I got it.

Mike and others on DBP - he is optional, so you can attempt him at any time. I think I got smashed by him on the first encounter and then went back to the main story path and dealt with a few more areas and bosses - by the time I came back to DBP my light swings alone were taking big chunks off his lifebar. :D

One thing that is weird about this map is how much of it is embedded in your brain after playing this game. This is extra weird considering how terrible my memory and sense of direction are in real life.

Does anyone think there are any hidden things that havnt been discovered yet?

The whole game is quite obscure so i wouldnt be surprised that you can do something like consume 12 insight to ride VA through the whole game or something like that.

I'm guessing I can search and join those that others have shared out though?

Unfortunately you need to relevant Chalice and all the materials to create your own version of their shared design. Pain in the arse i know.

The whole game is quite obscure so i wouldnt be surprised that you can do something like consume 12 insight to ride VA through the whole game or something like that.

Well..

No unfortunately. Reports from people who have read through the guide suggest not, unless there is stuff that is so hidden they kept it from the guide authors. The only thing I have really seen referenced in the guide that no one seems to have found is the existence of a Boss Rush chalice dungeon.

I've just killed VA and I'm not sure where to go now. I've been to HCL, although I've not killed the WoH yet. I had a quick look at FW, but it looked a bit daunting.

Is the FW where I should head next? Or should I try and give the WoH a kicking? I'm about level 40 at the moment.

WoH is worth doing for sure.

As for where next, it's a bit cryptic and stupid, really.

Did you find a door with a man asking for a password around cathedral ward?

If you examined the altar after beating Amelia, you now have that password. Inexplicably.

Yes, I must have found him after I'd already got the password, as it appeared in the options. I wondered where it had come from. :)

Wasn't he the path to the FW though, or did he lead somewhere else?

I'll have to give the WoH a go - I'd heard there was a good item after that. The trouble is those big buggers on the way. I haven't found a good technique to consistently take them out.

There might be a weird enemy like the Vagrant or something but I imagine most of the game has been discovered already. Wouldn't hold my breath for secret areas or mechanics, though secret weapons or clothes are vaguely possible.

That is the path to FW, and that is the way forward. WoH terminates in a dead end. But a decent item.

Also the good tactic is: just run past.

:D

I have this nasty compulsion to try and take out every enemy I see. I'll have to put my running shoes on. Then I'll hit the FW.

Thanks.

Mike and others on DBP - he is optional, so you can attempt him at any time. I think I got smashed by him on the first encounter and then went back to the main story path and dealt with a few more areas and bosses - by the time I came back to DBP my light swings alone were taking big chunks off his lifebar. :D

I actuallydefeated him this afternoon, and it wasn't too bad at all. I managed to record a video for this one so will upload that later as I have certainly enjoyed viewing others boss fights as there seems to be so many different approaches. U-1's video was a real help....

For DB P

I followed the technique shown by U-1 i.e. get under it and just hammer away at limbs but applied the fire buff to ludwigs blade as that seemed to increase damage. Then, so long as I kept out of range of the big swipes and managed to strike a few blows on him when he was charging up it was relatively easy and he went down without too much drama. The key to defeat him for me was, as per most encounters, to roll into him and get underneath. Plus, I actually remembered to watch the vitality and strike when I had energy which has been my downfall when rushing...

I've had a wander into FW and started the first Chalice Dungeon so will try and pick up one of those loose threads tonight if I get the time..

I will make sure I get the time. Of course.

If this isn't my GOTY come December then I will eat all the messenger hats. Even the vase one..

:D

I have this nasty compulsion to try and take out every enemy I see. I'll have to put my running shoes on. Then I'll hit the FW.

Thanks.

The WoH is a good fight so well worth the trek through the Executioners. A change of pace from some of the more frantic encounters and one that I really enjoyed..

Unfortunately you need to relevant Chalice and all the materials to create your own version of their shared design. Pain in the arse i know.

Well that is bollocks isnt it!

NON SPOILER-Y WARNING - IF YOU WANT TO PLAY ALL OF THE CHALICE DUNGEON LEVELS YOU HAVE TO BEAT EVERY SINGLE BOSS, EVEN THE OPTIONAL ONES (Which you may or may not even find!!)

This aspect has ruined the after-fun I was having in the Chalice Dungeons and has soured it a bit for me. I guess its a good incentive to re-play the game again, but I still think this is a bit shit.

This is what amazes me with this game. H is a whole section, with NPCs, shortcuts, a boss and five or six encounters, along with exclusive items......and it's optional! That amount of detail, the layout, and you might never see it.