Bloodborne - GOTD edition

You have a Root Chalice in your inventory, bottom of the list. Lol. Create one using that. ;)

Not sure what you mean. My point is, once you have created a root chalice dungeon, the display (when pressing X afterwards) does not indicate if its a root one or not...

Ugh, the Chalice Dungeons are really poorly designed. It is the equivalent of the crowbar-in multiplayer in games that do not need multiplayer. Unnecessary and a waste of resources.

Ugh, the Chalice Dungeons are really poorly designed. It is the equivalent of the crowbar-in multiplayer in games that do not need multiplayer. Unnecessary and a waste of resources.

Well I disagree with that. But have one criticism though. They should have been better incorporated into the main game. It's a bit too separate. I jumped on that as a throwaway thing to do before I finished the game to find there is a ton of original content there and even story stuff. For example, at least have a few that are mandated for progress. I understand a couple of them are not randomly generated so maybe they could have been part of what you do to 'finish' the game.

There is enough for you in the main game of sufficient quality to think that no real resource was taken away from the main experience and made it worse for it.

I quite like them tbh, but I only started them AFTER finishing the main game.

If you skip them you miss quite a lot of exclusive enemies.

I think there is some cool stuff in the Chalice dungeons but it does require a bit of a slog. I'm starting to warm to them. There are some pretty good exclusive bosses in there and some exclusive weapons. Also it seems to be the only way you can get Team PvP going (up to 5 players). And just the concept of the chalice dungeons is very central to the story and lore.

Excuse me for being ignorant, but what story information is in the chalice dungeons?

I do realise that the dungeons are mentioned in the main game, but i haven't found anything actually in the dungeons that relates back to the main story.

I like the chalice dungeons but also think they could've been implemented in a smoother way. Someone mentioned that it would be cool if the dungeons just opened up naturally from the gaming world. Like if after you beat BSB and get the Phtumeru chalice you would be able to make and/or enter the chalice from the cathedral you fight BSB in. Then once you finish layer three you find a ladder to take you back up somewhere in Yharnam. Some dungeons could still lead into each other but a little variation and surprises wouldn't hurt.

Excuse me for being ignorant, but what story information is in the chalice dungeons?

I do realise that the dungeons are mentioned in the main game, but i haven't found anything actually in the dungeons that relates back to the main story.

The section in this article http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2015/04/09/whats-really-going-on-in-bloodborne entitled the Tomb of the Gods, pretty much sums up the significance of the Chalice Dungeons to the story and setting. Obviously there is a certain level of speculation, but it broadly rings true I think and it is at least undeniable that the Chalice Dungeons are central to the story and not just tacked on bonus content.

The repetitive, identikit, tiled nature of the Chalice Dungeons make for a pretty dry solo experience. However, gang up in sunny bro-op and they become much more enjoyable. Its just a shame all progress only goes towards the hosts save, meaning even more repetition when you run the same area again in your friends game (x2).

Yeah I mean it is a cool idea, but the dungeons don't feel random enough to be truly compelling. Maybe they will add more chalices and stuff as part of DLC (although I'd personally prefer more proper story content).

A proper rogue-like mode with permadeath could be very interesting though...

They definitely need to add more tile variations, which surely isn't massive amounts of work? But what do i know. Lol.

Anyway, as others have said; they don't detract from the main game in any way, and are a nice little distraction, but i am 100% sure they were designed specifically for organised coop shenanigans.

I like them far more than I expected to. I've gotten four variations on the standard weapons already.

Do we know what the community has agreed is the max level in this for PvP?

I'm really enjoying the dungeons, it's nice to just zone out and focus on the combat. Also, they are getting really hard now so it's an incentive to further practice my skills and upgrade my character.

I like them far more than I expected to. I've gotten four variations on the standard weapons already.

Do we know what the community has agreed is the max level in this for PvP?

The event thing I saw suggested a level within range of SL120.

Edit: So 142?

VA strategy.

Beckon two helpers to nullify her healing. When she heals, all three of you go all out. I have tried doing her alone in NG+ but sod that, the fight lasts forever.

I expect the guide tomorrow. Looking forward to it, if alone for the artwork.

Stick with her. She absolutely battered me but I learned from each battering.

Perhaps the most important thing with VA is making sure you time your dashes correctly - with a number of her moves you don't dash as soon as she winds up a move - as you have with almost everything previously in the game - you need to wait a moment. No more is this true than with her back scrape move, you see what looks like a forward attack so you dash, in reality the forward move is harmless - just a precursor for her to strike backwards which you are now vulnerable to. Once I mastered that I took her down in no time, admittedly with the help of a few molotovs at the end just to ease her demise.

Ugh df0 is officially rubbish at this game though, don't listen to his advice! Summon 2 helpers? What.

Here is how my second go at her went...

A bit scrappy.

Essentially, get in, get a hit or two, reposition toward/around, repeat. Chase down if she glows / heals. Hitting rear legs will stun her. Hitting the locket in her left hand seems to have a good effect too. If you get hit by a big attack, dodge towards / around and counter attack for regain before using a vial. Dodge attacks at the last second. Don't mash dodge. Time it with the sound effects of her combos.

Good luck. I have a skill / bloodtinge build not far off 50, I can power through to joinable level range fairly quickly. I'm there for you if you need it man. :)

No shame in coop! Especially first time through. And especially if it's a really bad sticking point for you!

May the good blood guide your way.

This might be common knowledge with VA which is why I've not seen it mentioned in the last couple of pages but:

Try out staying on the side that's holding the pendant - attack that hand and dodge towards it if possible. It definitely has less reach and I'm guessing it does less damage as well. I can't say for sure how crucial deciding to do that was in my beating her as it was on my first re-attempt after gaining some levels exploring other areas but I'd be surprised if there wasn't something in it considering the cutscene beforehand.

I FUCKING DID IT!!!!

I can't recall a game that generates so many real world emotions as this, specifically the euphoria of beating a huge hurdle (VA for me). The adrenaline rush and stress release left me shaking after seeing the Prey Slaughtered screen. The risk v reward, frustration and anger vs success and elation is unrivalled in my experience. So much so that I felt compelled to give myself a real world treat after finally, finally, beating her.

After weeks of occasional attempts at her I thought I'd try a different weapon to my usual choice (I'd mostly been using the Hunters Axe, then Ludwigs Blade) therefore I fortified the threaded cane to +3 and went in there. Buffing it with fire paper, and the occasional molotov, combined with a cautious approach lead me to a personal best of reducing her to a literal sliver of her health remaining. From that first attempt of the day it went rapidly downhill.

Flushed with (over) confidence I persisted with the cane but never made anything like the same progress. So it was back to Ludwig and a few more unsuccessful attempts. After a run for echoes and a subsequent replenishment of fire paper, molotovs and urns I cracked and rang the bell for assistance which didn't work out the way I had hoped. To say I was despondent when the co-op chap died within 30 seconds would be an understatement of monumental proportions. That was my only hope...

Only slightly deterred I set off again and, over a few rounds, managed to establish a strategy of being careful with her delayed attacks, rolling towards her weak left arm/back before using the regular (rapier-esque) Ludwig buffed with the Fire Paper to have a few chops at her, backing off, worrying a bit, before repeating whenever a window arose and including a few interrupts of her healing, one or two near fatal maulings and strikes and she was down.

I spent five minutes telling myself just how fucking awesome I was (including some actual fist pumping the air time), I had my treat, and then went for a walk in the dark. I'll explore later and look for new effects but having already sent a prostitute to the church, and enjoyed the moonlight, feel very positive indeed about the challenges ahead.

The treat was a fine bottle of beer.

Thanks for the encouragement, advice, and, dood, the offer of co-op assistance. It's all much appreciated and certainly got me over this hump..

This is on it's way to becoming my favourite game of All Time.

For Davros who had poor internet connections and anyone else who missed the live stream... Here is Part 2 of Bradborne

If you missed part 1, then subscribe to Gamestyle on Youtube and

Just watched this all the way through. Talk about a turnaround at the end! You were having a tough time of it at the start. Never the game's fault though, as you rightly acknowledged.

A few things leapt out at me:

You keep coming within about an inch of checking something important...and then moving off! For example, all those red glowing incense lanterns? Those are doors you can knock on to talk to people. Sometimes they yield nothing but a chat, but other times...

Similarly in the Hunter's Dream you rubbed up against the Storage unit a couple of times, but ran away before you could see it.

You finally found the big Executioner! Every time you played the level I was thinking "You haven't gone left! Go left!". Obviously you died, but he's not as hard as you think - there's a knack. Oh, but do open that gate, there's a good chap. Shortcut innit! If you open that you'll be able to travel between the lamp and that executioner very quickly for when you want to have another crack at him.

In the levelling up and item screens you can get more info by pressing R3 or Square. You did both of these briefly, but just skimmed over the info.

I suspect all of the above are due to you playing against the clock, so it's understandable. But if I were you I would take half an hour off air and just read all the stat screen help and item lore before your next broadcast. Then you won't need to ask us what to level up, as you'll know what Vit, End etc all do.

Finally, I think you may have forgotten that you can transform your weapon with L1. With your current weapon equipped, pressing L1 will extend it. Much better range! You can also hit R1 to attack, followed immediately by L1, and you will transform the weapon as you attack. So you can go R1, L1, R1. There are loads of combos like that, and indeed more moves you're not using, but I'll let you discover those! :)

Finally, using your bullets to finish off a weakened enemy is a totally legit tactic, well done for using it! But did you notice that on your second to last shot you staggered the CB? I was shouting "Visceral!" at my phone, as you could have finished him off with that super satisfying Stagger + R1 combo you pulled off a few times against the normal enemies.

Still, it doesn't matter how they go down, so long as they do. Great victory, and an enjoyable watch! Loads more tips I could give you (that others in here gave me originally) if you want them, but finding stuff out yourself is half the fun.

Does anyone want the theme that came with my guide? I have literally zero desire to use it..

Here's the code.

8C2J 4GNN 42DK

Woah, does using the beckoning bell use 1 insight even if you don't have anyone join you? That's balls! (I've also been booted back to the title screen the last couple of times I've tried it)

Ha, see if you still think that once you figure out what insight does...

Does anyone want the theme that came with my guide? I have literally zero desire to use it..

Here's the code.

8C2J 4GNN 42DK

Ha, see if you still think that once you figure out what insight does...

Well, I've got 62 of them - is that good or bad?

Edit: I used the code - thanks!

God, I think I was better at this before the guide arrived. Knowing where to go and going straight there cuts out a lot of the levelling you gain from milling around the place, and so I'm walking into areas slightly underpowered. :D

currently struggling with EtDoC.... first boss that seems impossible to overcome alone. EtDoC keeps oneshotting me during last part of the fight, when E reaches 1/2 of its heath...even if I'm level 100 and not properly a noob..

Suggestions anyone?