Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

VA strategy.

Beckon two helpers to nullify her healing. When she heals, all three of you go all out. I have tried doing her alone in NG+ but sod that, the fight lasts forever.

I expect the guide tomorrow. Looking forward to it, if alone for the artwork.

I am thinking the co-op route is the only way forward for me..

The guide book is a hell of a piece of work. Only game guide book I've ever bought and it's a beauty..

Best timing I found was

As soon as you see him dash forward to do his "hook" attack (where he drags you forward), back dash once and instantly shoot. He always goes into a swipe after the hook so you catch him sweet.

I got him about 3-4 time during the fight with this timing

I also equipped the runes that

boost V attack damage by 20% and also give you +200 health boost on successful V attack.

Excellent tips, thanks!

Sir Curtis! I may have missed it but have you summarised your feelings on the game? How have you found it? :)

I had an initial verdict upon completion, which was basically that as a campaign from start to finish its unparalleled in its quality, and that Souls comparisons, inevitable as they are, weren't really valid because this is a totally different beast.

I also had that feeling i get when i complete a game thats so good, i don't want to tarnish the experience by replaying it immediately in case any cracks start to show (same thing happened with The Last of Us and Journey).

There were also worries regarding the limited choice of weapons and the stripped back RPG elements that also stopped me from jumping straight back in and trying another play style.

So after a couple of weeks respite (read: steaming through Dark Souls II SotFS) I've returned to Yharnam and my love for it hasn't waned one iota! What is most apparent upon my return is the combat system is ridiculously deep, and my Souls like approach to playing it first time round (unavoidable given the hours I've put in and muscle memory) wasn't wrong per se, just that there is soooo much more to it. The amount of moves/combos per weapon is very impressive, and mastering them all will be quite an undertaking. One which I've already started with separate STR and DEX builds (my first was ARC).

So to cut a long story short: i was of course, blown away by my first run, almost to the point of being overwhelmed by it. But after a little breather I'm back for blood, and i cannot wait to wring every juicy drop out of this masterpiece!

I'm off today so will likely have another bash this afternoon. She is just too aggressive and, even though I sort of know what I need to do, I become very flustered, very quickly, and all my good plans are out the window. I have managed to get her down to the a in Vicar though so probably only a couple more hits and she would be out. So that makes wussing out seem less of a cheat..

Stick with her. She absolutely battered me but I learned from each battering.

Perhaps the most important thing with VA is making sure you time your dashes correctly - with a number of her moves you don't dash as soon as she winds up a move - as you have with almost everything previously in the game - you need to wait a moment. No more is this true than with her back scrape move, you see what looks like a forward attack so you dash, in reality the forward move is harmless - just a precursor for her to strike backwards which you are now vulnerable to. Once I mastered that I took her down in no time, admittedly with the help of a few molotovs at the end just to ease her demise.

Ugh df0 is officially rubbish at this game though, don't listen to his advice! Summon 2 helpers? What.

Here is how my second go at her went...

A bit scrappy.

Essentially, get in, get a hit or two, reposition toward/around, repeat. Chase down if she glows / heals. Hitting rear legs will stun her. Hitting the locket in her left hand seems to have a good effect too. If you get hit by a big attack, dodge towards / around and counter attack for regain before using a vial. Dodge attacks at the last second. Don't mash dodge. Time it with the sound effects of her combos.

Good luck. I have a skill / bloodtinge build not far off 50, I can power through to joinable level range fairly quickly. I'm there for you if you need it man. :)

No shame in coop! Especially first time through. And especially if it's a really bad sticking point for you!

May the good blood guide your way.

This might be common knowledge with VA which is why I've not seen it mentioned in the last couple of pages but:

Try out staying on the side that's holding the pendant - attack that hand and dodge towards it if possible. It definitely has less reach and I'm guessing it does less damage as well. I can't say for sure how crucial deciding to do that was in my beating her as it was on my first re-attempt after gaining some levels exploring other areas but I'd be surprised if there wasn't something in it considering the cutscene beforehand.

No major progress tonight but a good bit of exploring around FW. A really strong RE4 vibe about the place and that first section (from the lamp towards and over the bridge) is a great place for gathering echos quickly. I was soon up to 20,000 by the time I'd cleared out the main village.

Managed to get up a long trailer which led to a house with dogs in cages. Killed all them, then some guy dropped a gate. Went all the way round and killed everyone there, but then seem a bit stuck. I did a suicide run at one point up through a river (with undead in it) and got blasted to pieces by a large cannon. I'm presuming that's the way I actually need to be going.

Other than that, same old, same old. Managed to level up to 53 tonight as well, and got LHW up to +5.

Tried a run down the right of VA as well. Managed to get past everything

Only to be faced with a large hall and a frenzy, which I managed to get away from

I sense there's at least two shortcuts in FW,

I might of missed it, but once you have created a Chalice Dungeon, there is no way of telling what type it is, especially if it is a "root"...?

The name, type, depth, difficulty and traffic are clearly noted when you press X on the gravestone.

Its not clear if its a root or not...

So here's my shitty fight against MWN. Did a terrible job of judging his hotbox distance. Starts from 4:00:

Something is very different in our fights. Running around like you did would just get me killed because MWN just multiplied and teleported (maybe you are quicker somehow). Also, the cloud would not dissipate for me until I attacked it a bit and got her health down. No idea why. Good job though.

Perhaps the most important thing with VA is making sure you time your dashes correctly - with a number of her moves you don't dash as soon as she winds up a move - as you have with almost everything previously in the game - you need to wait a moment. No more is this true than with her back scrape move, you see what looks like a forward attack so you dash, in reality the forward move is harmless - just a precursor for her to strike backwards which you are now vulnerable to. Once I mastered that I took her down in no time, admittedly with the help of a few molotovs at the end just to ease her demise.

I'm going in!

Yep, it took me ages before I stopped getting swatted by those delayed swings. :blush:

Maybe to do with insight?

Did you finish it now? Out of interest as I want to find out how much more I have. I have been putting it off because I don't want it to end. I have never need a fan of NG+. I actually prefer to mess about with different builds. So curious what people think of NG+ in this as well. Any insights? BOOM

Did you finish it now? Out of interest as I want to find out how much more I have. I have been putting it off because I don't want it to end. I have never need a fan of NG+. I actually prefer to mess about with different builds. So curious what people think of NG+ in this as well. Any insights? BOOM

Not yet. It's pretty close to the end. Have you explored the optional areas

Upper Cathedral Ward, Cainhurst Castle, Nightmare Frontier, Abandoned Workshop

I think it's just the real world version.

You're near the end I am afraid.

Not to say I disliked AW. Probably one of my favorite moments in gaming in a very long time. It made me stop to think: what the fuck is going on. Really caught me off guard. Brilliant moment with the weird tone of the game. I am just in love with the story telling of Bloodborne. I will probably play through it a couple of more times before watching the lore videos. Now that I have the 'beating the game' thing out of the way I just wanna try to piece as much of the story myself as I can. I also probably have a tiny bit of the main game still left to do.

EDIT: Which one is the real world though? I am not sure.

I have been doing Chalice stuff. That has been great. But really not something I want to do in succession because it is very similar looking and it becomes a bit much after a while. i'd rather finish it like dood suggest and see how i get on with chalice stuff in NG+. My procrastination paid some dividends in that I had completely missed LW and I found that by randomly running into a certain somebody I had forgotten. He then went and did something crazy in CC. That dude is mad.

Nope. Their difficulty is static (determined purely by items used). But I guess it's worth running through the first tier of each chalice before going ng+. Want to see more of those unique bosses (they've been pretty fun so far!)

That is a total guess though, I haven't really experimented with them enough, yet.

No, they are not influenced by NG+. Difficulty is calculated by items used (and I believe the actual level (as in floor) you are on), so you can out level them. Heck, if you are on NG+ the first levels offer zero challenge.