Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

I co-op'd with someone prior to ML then an invader came as well. Anyway was walking along and started taking damage then died but I couldn't see anything hitting me. Perhaps it was throwing knives but I had literally no way of knowing or defending myself. Never even saw the intruder. Bug?

Went back to GTFH after much levelling and can get him down to about 25% health quite consistently 2-handing the heavy Ludwig's Holy Blade with a bit of Bolt Paper. However, he then goes super-saiyan and has this funny glow around him which somehow allows him to do massive body explosions (usually easy to avoid because you can see it coming), teleport all over the place (slightly annoying) and stop staggering altogether (problematic.) The tricky thing is that I do all the work getting to this phase, die to something I hardly get a chance to see and then have to go off and farm and repair. :P I think next time I'll have to try and stay alive more than anything just so that I can see the moveset and any opportunities. :)

Just killed Amy G on my third or so try. Pretty happy with how I did. I did use 16 vials but I was doing so well until the third phase I thought it was going to be worth it. The NF area before that was pretty good but irritating at the same time.

TOR has been causing me more problems than I anticipated.

What benefit does clearing the area of the bell ringers have?

That the game is really bloody good goes without saying, but I do have some minor criticisms. I don't really know how much of the game I have left at this point but I feel like the bosses have been slightly disappointing on the whole. Not because of anything to do with difficulty, but conceptually a lot of them are quite one-note - big beast jumps about and swipes at you with claws. Obviously that's not all of them but it's a fair old chunk so far.

I actually don't think Demon's Soul's bosses have been beaten in the series as far as imagination and originality go, even though it's not my favourite game in the series.

The level design and shortcuts are excellent, much better than DS2, but it's not quite DS1 level. Generally you explore a level, unlock one shortcut to get to halfway through the level quicker, then unlock another shortcut to run to the boss quickly. You never really revisit much, partly due to warping available from the start, partly because the merchants are in the hub, and partly because the levels loop back on themselves but rarely between each other. You still don't have the same intimacy with the world that you did with DS1.

My last little gripe would be that you never come across any loot anymore that makes you think 'Holy shit this is awesome'. Getting badges to buy weapons in the hub isn't really the same as finding an awesome weapon hidden in the levels, but more disappointing is the way none of the outfits really stand out from a stat perspective. Some are slightly better at some things than others but you never come across a new set with stats that wow you. Maybe some will prefer that most sets are viable for the whole game but I miss the feeling of progression through outfits.

NPC's also seem thin on the ground but I suspect I've missed some along the way as some threads seem to have just disappeared.

I think DS1's run from the Firelink Shrine to Anor Londo was so good that nothing since has quite matched up. It drops off a cliff after that though, so I'm hoping Bloodborne can maintain the high standard despite some of my gripes.

Perhaps it's to my advantage again then that I haven't played DS, because I think the structure/layout of this game is absolutely incredible. I escaped the HP, which in itself was a really cool and surprising mini adventure, but then wasn't sure where to go. As a result I ended up finding two or three different routes, all of which are just fantastic to explore.

I couldn't figure out how to get to the bottom of the tower, so I quickly skimmed a YouTube video showing how you have to drop down to a door. Then I had to go out for the day. When I came back I couldn't remember exactly what the video showed, but I figured it out (or so I thought) and went all the way to the bottom of the tower, where I fought a scary demon/bull/werewolf beast, and thence to a new part of CW. I opened up two of the locked gates from earlier, which was deeply satisfying. I kept getting killed by the big guy patrolling the stairs, so I did a suicide run up to the top. From there I found Hemwick, which is a cool new setting full of witches, but because I died there a few times I went back and explored the central plaza of CW instead. I couldn't really figure out where the game wanted me to focus my efforts though, and I kept dying, so I watched the video again to see what order he did it in. I then realised it's actually ANOTHER door he drops down to, leading to the Abandoned Workshop! I don't think I would ever have found that door, as it was too far down to see in the dark. So I ended up with three very diverse looking areas to pursue.

It's the sort of game that makes me wish I could clone myself and send the clone to work tomorrow. I'm itching to explore these new areas. Each one is so enticing, so cool looking, and yet so dangerous.

Not enough hours in the day...

Well, I booted up Bloodborne tonight after almost a week's absence, and faced the last boss again. And

YES YOU CUNT, YOU DID DIE, DIDN'T YOU? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA - and first time, as well. Though I've no idea how, as I didn't even try to parry/riposte him. Didn't use a single bullet. I did try the torch glitch exploit at the beginning, I must admit, but it didn't seem to work, and I switched back to just ducking and diving after the first few failed attempts to prevent him from developing his moveset. I was completely out of vials by the finish and on my last tiny segment of health, so I just went full mental on his ass with my dying breath. How close to death?:

Pretty close. I guess I just got lucky in the end.

Now (massive end of game spoilers)

I'll have to reload the pre-fight save and do it all again, and then the boss after, to get the final, final ending. Oh, lol. Maybe next week though. Tonight I'm just chillin with ma messenger homies in NG+, toasting marshmallows on a roaring bonfire of sputtering flesh and crackling bone.

Sweetest marshmallows I ever did taste.

Well, I booted up Bloodborne tonight after almost a week's absence, and faced the last boss again. And

YES YOU CUNT, YOU DID DIE, DIDN'T YOU? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA - and first time, as well. Though I've no idea how, as I didn't even try to parry/riposte him. Didn't use a single bullet. I did try the torch glitch exploit at the beginning, I must admit, but it didn't seem to work, and I switched back to just ducking and diving after the first few failed attempts to prevent him from developing his moveset. I was completely out of vials by the finish and on my last tiny segment of health, so I just went full mental on his ass with my dying breath. How close to death?:

Pretty close. I guess I just got lucky in the end.

Now (massive end of game spoilers)

I'll have to reload the pre-fight save and do it all again, and then the boss after, to get the final, final ending. Oh, lol. Maybe next week though. Tonight I'm just chillin with ma messenger homies in NG+, toasting marshmallows on a roaring bonfire of sputtering flesh and crackling bone.

Sweetest marshmallows I ever did taste.

That ending! That's as good as it gets. I bet you punched a wall through. I finished three or four fights in this game with zero vials left. The rush is immense.

I meant to post up yesterday but had to rush out... Thanks very much to Mr Ben and Goemon on their tips for NoM.

I'm now the proud owner of a blood rock. The big question is, do I take my Threaded Cane or my LHS up to +10?

On a side note. Despite being a tough start I think NoM is an absolutely sublime example of level design! I love the way you can feel dangerously exposed and scarily claustrophobic at almost the same time. I particularly like how you can feel like you've been wandering for ages moving ever upwards and onwards and then just pop out at a place you know through a lift or side passage with a genuine 'Aaah!' feeling. Brilliant.

I've played this for five hours and genuinely haven't gotten past the first bastard section.

I still have no idea how to use the gun or do anything really. Must have missed the note that tells you that you can lock onto enemies add my bro pissed himself laughing when I told him I didn't know you could do that. Have avoided this thread and any videos but now will either give up or watch an intro guide (which feels like failure)

ML is doing my head in. What might

I have missed to explore? I've done CE etc. need somewhere else to go as I hate him.

Re ML..

Stay close and don't let him power up is the only advice I can give really. You should be able to work out how to stop him yourself.. But in case you're really stuck..

visceral attack is effective.

As for where else to explore.. Sounds like it's time for you to finish FW, B and then YUV..

If this is your first Souls game there's no shame in reading/watching a beginners guide. This one seems to explain most of the things you need to know. Once you have a grasp of the basics just come in here and ask for specific advice if you are stuck.

Re ML..

Stay close and don't let him power up is the only advice I can give really. You should be able to work out how to stop him yourself.. But in case you're really stuck..

visceral attack is effective.

As for where else to explore.. Sounds like it's time for you to finish FW, B and then YUV..

Cheers. I cannot get the timing down for a parry on him. Might try the new pistol I have levelled up to use.

I think I have done all of UCW now including the boss. Done most of YUV and FW so I need to go through NF I think. Done all of B if that means killing Rom. Also killed the useless NPC there.

EDIT: I've also killed ToR.

Is the final boss

Gehrman?

If so he can fuck right off! Tried must be 50 times to kill him over the last 3 days, so a lot of grinding for vials. I have got him down to about 1/4 of health left, but one-two hit kills are pissing me off. That and it is impossible to know if he is going to be stunned after your attack or just brush it off and continue to mug you off.

I am determined this isn't going to end up like Metroid Prime for me (left it at the final boss, life is too short). I'm getting the vibe that this boss is more luck than skill.

Also did my first challice dungeon that I created. Do they just end at a lantern or something.

I am a little bit miffed that I cannot create another CD next door because I don't have the required items, which I would of assumed would of come from the first one?? I literally rinsed out the whole first CD I did, not a stone left unturned, so I am confused as to why I don't have the items.

Do I have to delete my first CD and recreate it or something?

GTFH is a fucking cunt. I've had him down till his last slither a couple times, but I end up getting smashed with no vials left.

To avoid the grinding for vials, I have a save with 20 vials in the cloud I download to save the hassle of doing that. Also, one of the Runes grants you +3 extra vials which I know will come in handy now I remembered to equip it.

Good run last night, through UCW (spooky old level), slaughtered both CE and E at the first attempt. These last three bosses I've fought (including TOR) have all been easy first timers, though I still have big Amy G and ML to do, as each was giving me too much trouble before. Maybe I've finally over-levelled at 81?

After M: HoTN was such a pushover I should have seen this coming. I have reached a major block with the boss after that.

Super slow and easy until he blinds you, multiplies and doubles the range of his attacks. I am talking about the bastard that steals the baby. I am about to ring the bell of failure guys. Is it possible to solo this? Any pointer will help?

Here's me when I last had fun with this game:

I solo'd everyone and don't say that as some hardcore badge if honour - I simply didn't know how it worked the first time through. I also only mention to reinforce that they are all possible to do.

I think that keeping mobile is probably the most generally applicable advice for any combat encounter in this game.

Summoning increases the health of bosses too. Although I think it may be less significantly than Dark Souls.

Try turning off the application resume feature if you're having trouble with multiplayer. And make your network Worldwide.