Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

Aaaand completed! Well...

I chickened out after reading Gorf King's posts and just told Gherman to wake me the hell up out of all this batshit mentalness. Didn't get a chance to defeat Ebrietas, that hunter in the Cathedral nor of course Gherman himself. Onward to my brand new bloodtinge/skill build game!

Does the ending I got mean I wake up in a nice, bright, clean Yharnam then? It was all just a nasty dream, right? Brought on by that blood transfusion I had at the beginning of the game?

I'm very close to throwing in the towel now.

Old Yharnam's turret-dwelling dickhead is making progress impossible. It'd be fine, if there wasn't one of those bastard-hard NPC hunters in the way too.

Getting picked up by ghost hand things and getting one-hit-killed - with NO way of avoiding it - is really fucking me off. Damn shame, as I was loving the shit out of the fair challenge.

There's a way to get in between the hunter and the turret guy -

It's a bit arduous, and the first move is a risky one. So you cross the bridge in OY, turn right, down some steps and you'll come to a flat area with some beasts/hooded guys. Run past and head for the top right and step off the edge quickly. You should drop down onto a tower, drop down to the right, avoid the crows and drop down a third time. You'll be in semi-secret area. You can then fight back up, earn lots of souls and pick up a weapon. Eventually you'll find a lift. Take that up and puts you passed the hunter area, and just round the corner from the ladder that leads to the shooter.

Edit: = Watch the first ten minutes -

That's how I did it. The turret guy can be a tough fight but I -

Soon as I was up the ladder, locked on and just shot, shot, shot. I think I used the pistol. Knocked him straight off the edge. After that he doesn't respawn and if he falls of the edge, when you return to a lamp and revisit the area, the stuff he drops will be back where you fought him

Old Yharnam's turret-dwelling dickhead is making progress impossible. It'd be fine, if there wasn't one of those bastard-hard NPC hunters in the way too.

Getting picked up by ghost hand things and getting one-hit-killed - with NO way of avoiding it - is really fucking me off. Damn shame, as I was loving the shit out of the fair challenge.

So there's a few things there. It's actually pretty straight forward to get past the turret guy without confronting him at all. You don't need to kill him ever. Same with the NPC hunter.

The invisible hand thing - have you found more than one of those? I just stayed clear of that bit once it had happened once, and I haven't found a second one.

If you do want to deal with the turret guy, blunderbuss is your friend.

You also have the choice...

buy the key in hunters dream for 10,000 and you can open the gate it cathedral ward without ever going into old yahrnam.

Yeah I saw the ladder going up and thought I had to kill the Gatling guy to progress. So I eventually killed him and excitedly climbed the ladder to only find that I climbed up to pretty much where I started. Not even sure why that whole area is there now, thinking about it.

It definitely wants to, yes, but it (mostly) fails to. Trading build options for slightly faster combat and a (fun but not very necessary) regain system do not a different series/franchise make.

Faster combat completely changed how I played the game. If I tried running in and hacking away at enemies in DaS I'd be frustrated with the fact that a few slow swings had come out, my stamina was already gone and now I'm getting wrecked by everyone. If I try to wait and bait enemies in BB I'd have dozens of enemies being resurrected by bell-ringers and creating an unwinnable situation. And if you thought Regain wasn't necessary when you can accumulate stacks of health with repeated swipes provided you have the stamina, then maybe you weren't taking advantage of it as much as you could have. :)

The game even says "fuck it" to its original concept halfway through the game in favor of typical Dark Souls stuff like:

Cainhurst, a medieval castle. And characters who start using magic all of a sudden. Etc.

Hmm, maybe. My point was more about the gameplay though. And Bloodborne/Souls aren't innovating with those examples, unless you really can't think of other games with medieval castles or magic-using characters in them. ;)

Ironically, I'm now playing Scholar of the First Sin very much identically to how I tackled Bloodborne, and I'm ploughing through it like an '80s rock star versus a mountain of cocaine.

And I've been playing BB in nowhere near the same way I played Souls (see my first comment) and it hasn't affected me that much.

Sure, the dashes are faster than Souls' rolls and the transforming weapons are a nice gimmick, but they're merely the evolution of two-handing and powerstancing. Everything in Bloodborne that's different is a variation on (or slight evolution of) rules and conventions of the three previous games. Everything Bloodborne does is textbook sequel making: you take a predecessor's good stuff and try to improve on it. It's utterly maddening to call this anything other than a Souls game; it's like saying that Metroid Fusion shouldn't be called a Metroid game because it's slightly more linear than Super Metroid, has a more direct narrative and features X parasites as the main enemies instead of the titular Metroids.

Bloodborne walks like a Souls game, talks like a Souls game and fucking looks like a Souls games. It's a Souls game. In all but name.

For the record, I think it proudly flaunts it's Souls inspiration; if you put footage of this next to DeS, DaS1, DaS2...anyone who wasn't familiar with the games could take one look at them and be forgiven for thinking that they're all from the same series. However, the point I was trying to make was that people who didn't enjoy Souls might be more taken with a game that tries to do something different. I've heard people online saying that anyone wanting to try Bloodborne should really become familiar with Souls first, and to me that sounds nuts - suggesting that someone has to play through 200-300hrs worth of three Souls games just to get a measure of this new offering.

There's a reason why blood echoes are still being called souls by literally everyone. Because it's the exact same fucking thing, just with a different name slapped on it.

No disagreements with this; as I said, it's Souls in appearance. I just think that maybe you're taking your personal experience of the games and forming one opinion with such conviction that you can't see how some people can maybe appreciate when a developer tries to do something new instead of the exact same fucking thing with a different name slapped on it. Certainly if this was announced as Dark Souls 3 I wouldn't have wanted anything to do with it, because I'd already seen that before.

Agh, 3000 souls- uh, blood... echos?- when I was wandering about looking for a shortcut and I decide that the dark spoopy room I'm about to walk into seems like a trap, so I wander straight into the first boss by mistake and get ganked.

This game is awesome.

Ahh soon 3k in souls will seem like small change. Give it a few hours and you'll be walking into boss fights with 30k.

I'm now so good at this game that at one point I walked into an open lift shaft on the way to recover 8k in souls.

Praise the moon indeed

Agh, 3000 souls- uh, blood... echos?- when I was wandering about looking for a shortcut and I decide that the dark spoopy room I'm about to walk into seems like a trap, so I wander straight into the first boss by mistake and get ganked.

This game is awesome.

You were closer to the short cut than could could imagine!

So there's a few things there. It's actually pretty straight forward to get past the turret guy without confronting him at all. You don't need to kill him ever. Same with the NPC hunter.

The invisible hand thing - have you found more than one of those? I just stayed clear of that bit once it had happened once, and I haven't found a second one.

If you do want to deal with the turret guy, blunderbuss is your friend.

I found the first ghost hand thing when I picked up some clothes from a dead guy after you turn left at CW and see those guys in hats the first time.

Second time was after you go right before facing VA. I'd finally killed those two stupidly-difficult axe-wielding things, and went into some circular room. Went to open a door, and bam - death by invisible hand thing.

Fought the WoH a couple of times now, and I think in the right mindset, I can take her. Weird fight for sure.

Getting to that fight is quite a run, and if you get copped by anything on the way, you end up surrounded (and dead) pretty quickly. Like every enemy, those first few are deadly if not respected and I've copped more than a few whacks. I've switch back to the saw to be honest, as the axe and LB didn't seem quick enough - at least against those first enemies. Though that's more about my skill than anything else.

I didn't think it would bother me but the complete lack of anything positive (in the world) is a real downer. Been playing for around 25-26 hours now, and just watched an ENB video of the WoH that mentions that's about a third of the way through! Value for money for sure :)

About summoning, I am a bit stumped as to how/where it works. I have gotten it to work once just before the second boss. I rang the bell and within several seconds a player popped up. I have not been able since and have spend 5 Insight already. Is it simply a matter of bell ringing and waiting? Or do I have to ring the bell on/near the note before a boss area?

edit: never mind, it is no different from Souls.

There are a number of safe spots (use the statues) to hide behind in the open and he can't shoot you at the base of the buildings on the other side of the courtyard.

Make sure you kite the creatures in the courtyard back into the building; I ran outside and then back inside and the beasts all followed before turret guy could shoot me. Then just hoover up the loot. You can completely avoid the hunter if you want; he kept rushing me, making a few swipes and then running away, so I didn't bother chasing and carried on past.

Like all of the game so far, once I knew the area around Turret Dickhead it just didn't seem as intimidating. I stopped trying to deal with that area where the other dude plus the hairy twonks and crows gang up on you, and instead spent ages exploring. I unlocked two doors and found a whole new area leading to the next boss, then went back and killed Turret dickhead because...well it didn't feel right leaving him up there. And Timmo was right, you can just peg it straight to the ladder in no time at all. Well, except for the loading. Once that's fixed it'll be even better.

How is the difficulty on this? (I know this has been asked a few times before probably)

I kinda get that its supposed to be hard, but gave up on the first boss of Lords of the Fallen as I felt it was distinctly unfair and made the terrible decision of mapping the hit button the the bones RB button. Is this any easier? Are the controls decent?

How is the difficulty on this? (I know this has been asked a few times before probably)

I kinda get that its supposed to be hard, but gave up on the first boss of Lords of the Fallen as I felt it was distinctly unfair and made the terrible decision of mapping the hit button the the bones RB button. Is this any easier? Are the controls decent?

It is a very challenging game but in a good way. Very rarely the game is unfair, if you die it is because of you/your play style. Learn and adapt. In case you are not familiar with the Souls franchise, it is important to know the game offers no hand holding. No quest log, no on-screen arrow, no map.

@ Goose - you have opened the shortcut, haven't you?

Yes, I think so. I opened one which operates a lift, and another which opens a gate. It probably takes about 45 seconds to get to the boss fight?

Because I'll need to go there again. Just can't finish the fight.

I manage to kill one of the witches, but never get back to kill the other. Or by the time I get back, the first one has come back to life. I'm trying to divide the damage up between the two of them, so that they should be quick kills, but that last 30 seconds (or what should be the last 30 seconds) get me. I think I tried maybe five times tonight and burnt through around 20 vials in total.

Truthfully, it wasn't coming together tonight. I was getting slaughtered all over the shop and probably died around fifteen times. Progress seemed to be opening up one minor short cut (the gate with the seal) and sending someone else to safety.

Also managed to upgrade my weapons a couple of times, but still not feeling LB. The normal form is fast but somehow feels less powerful, while the transformed seems painfully slow.

Had what I thought was a glitch when trying to teleport back to an earlier location

Couldn't get to where you fight FG, kept saying it wasn't available at the time. Decided to go to the chapel then on to the place anyway. Strolled in, two hunters killed me.

You can't go back, you can never go back.

Maybe take a few days away from the game now. I've managed to get some hours into it in the last few days, but now I've got that no-progress burnt out feeling again. I know there's still one hell of a battle to come to make any further main story progress.